PDA

View Full Version : Team Analysis

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Strength: Rb's, punter,pass defense, and kicker

Weakness: Passing game, O-line, rush defense, pass rushing.

Identity:I think our identity right now is a speed running team that throws quick short passes that's why we picked up mccluster and with the quick passes the Chiefs are probably thinking they don't need a great line. I don't think we are going to see. With Every team passing 30-40 times a game the Chiefs beefed up on DB's and that's why they didn't do a lot of work on the D-line.

Concerns: I think if we play a good run team we are going to get run over and I think a team with great pass rushers will collapse the pocket and Cassel will be looking at a 5 sack game. Matt might be to methodical for these quick two step drop type passes.

Pros: I think we are going to see a lot of very good screens to Mccluster or Charles and I think these quick passes will ease pressure on our line. We have two healthy good WR's in Chambers and Bowe and the running game could help get them open.

please don't respond with your stupid or something insulting if you think I'm wrong let me know with stats or intellect not baseless insults.

Three7s
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I agree, but I did see some better blitz pickup in the first 2 preseason games than I did all of last year. That's where a lot of our sacks came from a year ago.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe your analysis is right on the money.

One thing I'd like to see. Get WR Jeremy Horne in the game and try to hit a long pass downfield to him. He got behind Atlanta's defense twice.

And speaking of Jeremy Horne -- the Chiefs brass had better not let him slip away to another team. Keep him and let him develop behind Bowe and Chambers.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 01:03 PM

One thing I'd like to see. Get WR Jeremy Horne in the game and try to hit a long pass downfield to him. He got behind Atlanta's defense twice.

And speaking of Jeremy Horne -- the Chiefs brass had better not let him slip away to another team. Keep him and let him develop behind Bowe and Chambers.

Tall guy great in the redzone I support it.

DMN
08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
First I think our line in the run game is going to be decent... mainly because charles is just so fast. But I really dont think that we have a real identity yet.. Just as charles did last year I think these coaches are looking for people to step up. i really feel like the success of this season is based on people progressing. Maybe that is why Haley slowed his role so much this off season. These guys need to play for him and care about this franchise.

Besides charles our entire offense is shaky at best. Screens and quick slants may be somewhat effective at first... but after a couple weeks of tape on us teams will be blowing it up with short zones and contains. We eventually have to stretch the field.

Seek
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Just out of curiousity. What has Horne done so far that makes you think He will be any different than Bobbie Sippio, Lance Long, and all the other diamonds in the rough we find every year as an undrafted FA.

I know things are touchy around here, and I don't mean to be rude, but other than being open twice against Atlanta's back ups and catching one pass for a TD. He hasn't show anyone a viable sample to base any valid opinion. I mean he is off to a good start but it is a little early to give him a roster spot.

So far I would like to keep him, over the othres, but where is he on special teams.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Just out of curiousity. What has Horne done so far that makes you think He will be any different than Bobbie Sippio, Lance Long, and all the other diamonds in the rough we find every year as an undrafted FA.

I know things are touchy around here, and I don't mean to be rude, but other than being open twice against Atlanta's back ups and catching one pass for a TD. He hasn't show anyone a viable sample to base any valid opinion. I mean he is off to a good start but it is a little early to give him a roster spot.

So far I would like to keep him, over the othres, but where is he on special teams.

No certainty that he's any different but we do need help for sure other then Chambers and Bowe we don't have much give the guy a chance if he isn't good at least we will know I'm sure he will be better then Bobby Wade was before we dropped him.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree, but I did see some better blitz pickup in the first 2 preseason games than I did all of last year. That's where a lot of our sacks came from a year ago.

I'm a Gilberry fan I think him and Tamba are the only guys that are able to get a sack consistently. So if you put those two together that would be a huge improvement, but I would have preferred Orakpo.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Good question Seek. The training camp reports say Horne has done everything asked of him and more. He has repeatedly got open down the field & before his TD catch at TB, he had gotten open in the end zone a play or two before, but Cassel did not see him.

Horne has better size, speed, and route running ability than Sippio or Long. Not sure about special teams.

#58ChiefsFan
08-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about anything yet. It's not the third week of the season, it's still preseason/evaluation. We have yet to see anything resembling the actual play book for this year.

I do agree with figs analysis for the most part. I think there is still much that won't be seen until we are three weeks into the season. Our offense won't be what we are seeing now. I just hope we end up with a deep enough play book that after teams have tape on us we can come up with new schemes each week. To me that is our biggest question of this year.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 01:33 PM
One more thing regarding tonights game:

Philly does have a couple of pretty fair DE's that can rush the passer. Albert and Richardson ( O'Cal is said to be hurt ) will get tested for sure.

Seek
08-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Good question Seek. The training camp reports say Horne has done everything asked of him and more. He has repeatedly got open down the field & before his TD catch at TB, he had gotten open in the end zone a play or two before, but Cassel did not see him.

Horne has better size, speed, and route running ability than Sippio or Long. Not sure about special teams.

He has to be doing something right to run with the First Stringers. I am just concerned that when I have seen that in the past, pre-season is all we saw of it. I haven't seen enough of him yet to think he could be more, and I haven't seen anything from him on special teams, which is where he needs to be showing up at to get a roster spot.

Right now you are looking at Bowe, Chamger and McCluster as locks. The next two spots are open for special teams players, and we know Haley like Long a bunch... tonight might be his biggest game of his life.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Philly does have a couple of pretty fair DE's that can rush the passer. Albert and Richardson ( O'Cal is said to be hurt ) will get tested for sure.

I know people hate when I dwell on the past but wouldn't it have been a possibilty to have traded brian waters for a second or third, picked up Russell Okung put him at LT put Alberts at guard.

Seek
08-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Crap... I think we are really hooched at RT as it is.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 01:41 PM
He has to be doing something right to run with the First Stringers. I am just concerned that when I have seen that in the past, pre-season is all we saw of it. I haven't seen enough of him yet to think he could be more, and I haven't seen anything from him on special teams, which is where he needs to be showing up at to get a roster spot.

Right now you are looking at Bowe, Chamger and McCluster as locks. The next two spots are open for special teams players, and we know Haley like Long a bunch... tonight might be his biggest game of his life.

I'm not sold on Long. I know Haley likes him because he's a hardworker but he doesn't have the talent or the size to be a good slot guy.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I know people hate when I dwell on the past but wouldn't it have been a possibilty to have traded brian waters for a second or third, picked up Russell Okung put him at LT put Alberts at guard.

I totally agree with you, except I'm not sure they could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for Waters, but Waters & Weigmann are both on their last leg and if things go wrong and the Chiefs end up drafting in the top 10 in 2011, they simply cannot afford to pass up a stellar LT prospect ( Castonzo of BC, or Barksdale of LSU ) like they did with Okung in 2010.

whatwasthat?
08-27-2010, 02:00 PM

yes we need to keep horne...he can be that much needed deep threat weve been looking for...a devery henderson type

Three7s
08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm a Gilberry fan I think him and Tamba are the only guys that are able to get a sack consistently. So if you put those two together that would be a huge improvement, but I would have preferred Orakpo.
Oh, my bad, I meant to say that as sacks for the opposing team! Silly me....

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I totally agree with you, except I'm not sure they could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd for Waters, but Waters & Weigmann are both on their last leg and if things go wrong and the Chiefs end up drafting in the top 10 in 2011, they simply cannot afford to pass up a stellar LT prospect ( Castonzo of BC, or Barksdale of LSU ) like they did with Okung in 2010.

There was a rumor that we would have been offered a 3rd and 7th last season by the Bills for Waters.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 02:43 PM
There was a rumor that we would have been offered a 3rd and 7th last season by the Bills for Waters.

If that's true, then the Chiefs brass should have pulled the trigger on the deal.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
If that's true, then the Chiefs brass should have pulled the trigger on the deal.

Same thing I was thinking when I heard that.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Same thing I was thinking when I heard that.

Now people may not like the way you are dwelling on the past, as you said earlier, but what they are overlooking is the fact that what you are dwelling on could have major ramifications regarding the upcoming 2010 season

Here's how:

While the Chiefs brass & the Eric Berry worshippers ( not to knock Berry ) were telling us about the so-called "improved O-Line" ( which we both know that next to nothing was done to address it during the offseason ), the arch-rival Oakland Raiders were seriously setting about during the offseason to bolster their Defensive front 7 and added 5 talented players to it.

I've watched both of the Raiders preseason games and their pass-rush looks to be potentially outstanding & they've already decked opposing QB's nearly a dozen times.

It's a legit concern that the Chiefs brass and the Chiefs fanbase had damn well better be aware of & unfortunately, Eric Berry cannot help the Chiefs in this regard. Russell Okung could have.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Now people may not like the way you are dwelling on the past, as you said earlier, but what they are overlooking is the fact that what you are dwelling on could have major ramifications regarding the upcoming 2010 season

Here's how:

While the Chiefs brass & the Eric Berry worshippers ( not to knock Berry ) were telling us about the so-called "improved O-Line" ( which we both know that next to nothing was done to address it during the offseason ), the arch-rival Oakland Raiders were seriously setting about during the offseason to bolster their Defensive front 7 and added 5 talented players to it.

I've watched both of the Raiders preseason games and their pass-rush looks to be potentially outstanding & they've already decked opposing QB's nearly a dozen times.

It's a legit concern that the Chiefs brass and the Chiefs fanbase had damn well better be aware of & unfortunately, Eric Berry cannot help the Chiefs in this regard. Russell Okung could have.

You didn't know Berry also played LT? He was actually so dominate they had to make him a safety to keep it fair. :lol:
In all seriousness we neglected a lot this offseason and if the Chiefs go 4-12 again then I won't be surprised. I hate to admit it but with Campbell as their qb and the improvements they made in the off season I think the Raiders are going to spank us and that pisses me off.

Hayvern
08-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Identity:I think our identity right now is a speed running team that throws quick short passes that's why we picked up mccluster and with the quick passes the Chiefs are probably thinking they don't need a great line. I don't think we are going to see. With Every team passing 30-40 times a game the Chiefs beefed up on DB's and that's why they didn't do a lot of work on the D-line.

Concerns: I think if we play a good run team we are going to get run over and I think a team with great pass rushers will collapse the pocket and Cassel will be looking at a 5 sack game. Matt might be to methodical for these quick two step drop type passes.

Pros: I think we are going to see a lot of very good screens to Mccluster or Charles and I think these quick passes will ease pressure on our line. We have two healthy good WR's in Chambers and Bowe and the running game could help get them open.

please don't respond with your stupid or something insulting if you think I'm wrong let me know with stats or intellect not baseless insults.

I agree with you for the most part. I would say that the play of our defensive backs has not been what I would be expecting to see right now.

And since I have to provide insight, here it is:

When watching the Tampa game, both Carr and Flowers looked horrible. Flowers was starting to show some of the same problems that Carr has exhibited over the last couple of years, allowing recievers to get seperation on them too easily.

Flowers has made some serious coverage mistakes as well. One example was a pass play around the end of the second quarter. Flowers had a good defensible position on the play, but instead of making the hit, he played the ball.

Normally that is not a bad call for a cornerback, but the problem he had on this play was field position. He was on the sidelines and had no help behind him as it was a pretty deep pass.

He went for the ball, missed, and the receiver scored as there was no one behind him to recover. Perhaps this was not a Flower's mistake, it could have been a failed coverage on the part of the safety too.

In the end, I saw a little too much of that in this game. The good news is that this game meant nothing and hopefully they will be learning about these types of issues.

While I would not say the passing game is a strength, I honestly do not think it is as bad as it has been in past years. THis may be optimism though.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
You didn't know Berry also played LT? He was actually so dominate they had to make him a safety to keep it fair. :lol:
In all seriousness we neglected a lot this offseason and if the Chiefs go 4-12 again then I won't be surprised. I hate to admit it but with Campbell as their qb and the improvements they made in the off season I think the Raiders are going to spank us and that pisses me off.

I hear ya and the way I see it is that if the Chiefs brass as well as a bunch those posters at Arrowhead Pride are going to be dumb enough to piss on their own heads and tell themselves it's raining regarding the Chiefs O-Line & fool themselves into thinking everything's OK -- then they better be smart enough to know that it won't fool opposing Defenses on Sundays during the season.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I hear ya and the way I see it is that if the Chiefs brass as well as a bunch those posters at Arrowhead Pride are going to be dumb enough to piss on their own heads and tell themselves it's raining regarding the Chiefs O-Line & fool themselves into thinking everything's OK -- then they better be smart enough to know that it won't fool opposing Defenses on Sundays during the season.

True but the Kool aid drinkers are a small majority. The $$$ is the only way to get the Chiefs to listen and when games start getting blacked out like last season then things will start changing. When you see teams like the Dolphins that can go from crap to good in a season fans take notice. If Pioli and crew don't start producing then fans will not give them money. There is to much entertainment that is cheap or free for the Chiefs to compete people like myself will always watch but some people will say screw it I'm tired of this S I'm going somewhere else.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 04:35 PM
True but the Kool aid drinkers are a small majority. The $$$ is the only way to get the Chiefs to listen and when games start getting blacked out like last season then things will start changing. When you see teams like the Dolphins that can go from crap to good in a season fans take notice. If Pioli and crew don't start producing then fans will not give them money. There is to much entertainment that is cheap or free for the Chiefs to compete people like myself will always watch but some people will say screw it I'm tired of this S I'm going somewhere else.

Very interesting in that it's been said that season ticket sales are lower now than they've ever been in 20+ years. Also, it's been rumored that the Arrowhead stadium renovations were paid for by the money that the Chiefs saved under previous salary caps.

The Chiefs have decent DB's on Defense & decent skill position players on Offense. What's needed to round things out is to shore up and bolster the O-Line and the Defensive front 7. Especially since they are going to face the NFC North in 2011 -- and all those teams can rush the pass passer ( anyone remember Jared Allen? ).

matthewschiefs
08-27-2010, 04:47 PM

I would say that I think based on what I have seen in the preseason so far that the rush d is not going to be a weakness. Outside of the first falcons drive the run d has looked pretty solid. But it is just preseason so it remains to be seen.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I would say that I think based on what I have seen in the preseason so far that the rush d is not going to be a weakness. Outside of the first falcons drive the run d has looked pretty solid. But it is just preseason so it remains to be seen.

We will see how good our Run d is tonight against a good run team.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 05:22 PM

And let us not forget their passing game, especially WR DeSean Jackson considering what he did to the Chiefs last year. I suspect there might be a good opportunity for Eric Berry to earn his pay.

Three7s
08-27-2010, 05:35 PM
A good run team? I can't believe someone just referred to the Eagles being a good run team. I'm sorry, but the Eagles are almost ALWAYS near the bottom of the league when running, they haven't been good in that area since Westbrook was in his prime.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
And let us not forget their passing game, especially WR DeSean Jackson considering what he did to the Chiefs last year. I suspect there might be a good opportunity for Eric Berry to earn his pay.

How much does he make again?

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 05:43 PM
A good run team? I can't believe someone just referred to the Eagles being a good run team. I'm sorry, but the Eagles are almost ALWAYS near the bottom of the league when running, they haven't been good in that area since Westbrook was in his prime.

They have been pretty good this year.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Let's just hope the Eagles don't all of the sudden start having a good run team tonight the same way that the Cleveland Browns did last year with Jerome Harrison.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 05:48 PM
How much does he make again?

Berry's contract was 6 years, 60 Million max with 34 million guarenteed.

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Berry's contract was 6 years, 60 Million max with 34 million guarenteed.

No I'm talking about our SS Eric Berry? Your giving me a figure for a QB right?

stricken721
08-27-2010, 05:52 PM
No I'm talking about our SS Eric Berry? Your giving me a figure for a QB right?

That is Berry's salary.

brdempsey69
08-27-2010, 05:54 PM
That is Berry's salary.

He knows that. He was just joking. :D

figcrostic
08-27-2010, 05:57 PM

I guess jokes don't go over well on the internet.

stricken721
08-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Gotcha. :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
08-29-2010, 02:53 AM
I guess jokes don't go over well on the internet.

Proper use of smilies help. :D

stricken721
08-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Proper use of smilies help. :D

I kinda killed their joke. Oops. :lol:

Chiefster
08-29-2010, 03:13 AM
I kinda killed their joke. Oops. :lol:

Joke killer! :meow::efpge::D

Nite Crowd!

stricken721
08-29-2010, 03:13 AM

Nite Crowd!

Almost as bad a thread killer.

Chiefster
08-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Almost as bad a thread killer.

...Almost. :D

Pro_Angler
08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
cambell for the raiders gor carted off the field..

Bakie
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
That's very unfortunate to hear, it's never good when any player falls.

figcrostic
08-30-2010, 08:31 PM
That's very unfortunate to hear, it's never good when any player falls.

Yup even when it's an opponent it's not good.

figcrostic
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Nite Crowd!

I know he ruined it :lol: