PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs vs Eagles Wrapup

Ryfo18
08-28-2010, 01:39 AM
The first quarter was brutal. Charles' fumble on the first play killed the Chiefs, and they couldn't get into a rhythm.

Despite this though, the defense was exceptional the entire game. The only touchdown the starters gave up came after the Charles fumble. They constantly pressured Kolb, and he looked clueless most of the game. The offense could not be stopped in the 2nd or 3rd quarters. Cassel looked decent, and they didn't have too much trouble moving the ball.

This is why I was looking forward to this game. We got to see the Chiefs vs Eagles, all starters, a team that crushed us last year. They got over the first quarter turnover that gave up points and the starters won this game. Forget about the final score.

I am definitely looking forward to beating the Chargers in Week 1. This is the team we've been waiting for to finally take a step forward and make a playoff run.

jason1981
08-28-2010, 04:07 AM
well i would say chargers would be a true test but the chargers always start slow so im thinking we will win it but the true test will be the second time around when we play them again.

AussieChiefsFan
08-28-2010, 04:13 AM
The first quarter was brutal. Charles' fumble on the first play killed the Chiefs, and they couldn't get into a rhythm.

Despite this though, the defense was exceptional the entire game. The only touchdown the starters gave up came after the Charles fumble. They constantly pressured Kolb, and he looked clueless most of the game. The offense could not be stopped in the 2nd or 3rd quarters. Cassel looked decent, and they didn't have too much trouble moving the ball.

This is why I was looking forward to this game. We got to see the Chiefs vs Eagles, all starters, a team that crushed us last year. They got over the first quarter turnover that gave up points and the starters won this game. Forget about the final score.

I am definitely looking forward to beating the Chargers in Week 1. This is the team we've been waiting for to finally take a step forward and make a playoff run.
:bananen_smilies046:

70 chiefsfan70
08-28-2010, 09:57 AM
I love it...... There was soooo much improvement on the team, many players are stepping up and the excitement and will to play is obvious. The offense needs to improve more but our defense looked real good, lots of hard hits by many different players,

The Eagles are a good team and our starters beat theres.

We can't have those RB fumbles though, that hurt.

I see us making the playoffs this year

hardcorechiefsfan
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I love it...... There was soooo much improvement on the team, many players are stepping up and the excitement and will to play is obvious. The offense needs to improve more but our defense looked real good, lots of hard hits by many different players,

The Eagles are a good team and our starters beat theres.

We can't have those RB fumbles though, that hurt.

This is very good to hear.

wildcat
08-28-2010, 10:43 AM

When I first read this statement, I thought you were getting overly excited. However, if our defense can play the way they did against the Eagle's, we will be playoff contenders.

I'm not worried about the Offense. We have enough weapons and a good enough coordinator that our offense will be better than average at worst. It might just take a little time to fingure out how to best utilize the players we have.

hardcorechiefsfan
08-28-2010, 10:46 AM
It might take them reaching their 30th birthdays... but I know they can do it.

Pro_Angler
08-28-2010, 11:01 AM

last year they had McNabb this year a backup, We will have to bring our A game Monday night cause Rivers isnt Kolb.

matthewschiefs
08-28-2010, 11:52 AM
last year they had McNabb this year a backup, We will have to bring our A game Monday night cause Rivers isnt Kolb.

Last year Kolb was made to look like a pro bowl qb when we went up against him. There was progress from when we played the eagles last year.

bwilliams
08-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Our first team defense did terrific for the positions that the offense put them in. Exspecially our secondary. The only dark lining to that silver cloud is that LeSean McCoy ran at will until the Eagles pulled him. We then were able t stuff Mike Bell, but that's not the same. We're going to have problems stopping top, pounding RBs - they won't get five carries in reaal games. Thankfully, we don't play a ton of great RBs this season.

Oh, and Brandon Carr is the most underrated Chief by a very long shot.

As for our offense, they're still mistake ridden, poor protectors, drop passes, and generally weak. Our play selection, especially, was terrible in the red zone and in 3rd and 4th and short.

Ryfo18
08-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Kolb played against us last year and torched us...

brdempsey69
08-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Our first team defense did terrific for the positions that the offense put them in. Exspecially our secondary. The only dark lining to that silver cloud is that LeSean McCoy ran at will until the Eagles pulled him. We then were able t stuff Mike Bell, but that's not the same. We're going to have problems stopping top, pounding RBs - they won't get five carries in reaal games. Thankfully, we don't play a ton of great RBs this season.

As for our offense, they're still mistake ridden, poor protectors, drop passes, and generally weak. Our play selection, especially, was terrible in the red zone and in 3rd and 4th and short.

Not to be argumentive, but barring injury, there are some very good backs the Chiefs are going to face. Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, C.J. Spiller, Frank Gore, Ryan Matthews, Michael Bush, Jerome Harrison, Maurice Jones-Drew are all backs that the Chiefs need to be wary of.

bwilliams
08-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Not to be argumentive, but barring injury, there are some very good backs the Chiefs are going to face. Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, C.J. Spiller, Frank Gore, Ryan Matthews, Michael Bush, Jerome Harrison, Maurice Jones-Drew are all backs that the Chiefs need to be wary of.

I'd exclude Spiller, Harrison, and Bush from that. Spiller is a 3rd down back right now. Harrison should be replaced by Hardesty pretty soon due to Harrison's fumbling problems. And I don't trust any Oakland RB to be great so long as they go with that split backfield. I know Harrison and Bush did great against us last season, but that was the terribleness of our defense more than any greatness of those backs.

Minus those three, that means we're really only playing five top backs (Jones-Drew, Johnson, Jackson and Matthews twice). And even though they have great backs, St. Louis and Jacksonville are winnable games due to those teams' terrible pass rushes, run defenses, and pass offenses.

Unless someone like Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno turns out a whole lot better than I think they will, we dodged another major bullet with our schedule.

I said it before, if we can't win six games with the schedule we've got, we need to seriously re-evaluate our front office.

MDChiefs!
08-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Beanie Wells is actually someone im worried about..

bwilliams
08-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Beanie Wells is actually someone im worried about..

My rule of thumb about RBs. If a RB is taller than six feet, he is going to almost certainly bust out. They're too tall, present too big of a target to defenses, and get hurt too easily.

It doesn't help that the AZ line is pretty awful. Hightower should by AZ's main guy most of the year.

rodu
08-28-2010, 01:14 PM
My rule of thumb about RBs. If a RB is taller than six feet, he is going to almost certainly bust out. T

Marcus Allen says hi

bwilliams
08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Marcus Allen says hi

Marcus Allen played a long time ago. Defensive front sevens have become exponentially bigger and faster since then.

There's a reason guys like Brandon Jacobs and Steven Jackson (whose the best guy over 6') spend so much time on the IR.

Ryfo18
08-28-2010, 02:05 PM

I saw a glimpse of a positive post there. So proud of you Bwilliams!

yashi
08-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I saw a glimpse of a positive post there. So proud of you Bwilliams!

I was thinking the same. :thumbup1:

matthewschiefs
08-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Kolb played against us last year and torched us...

That he did. I am still haveing nightmares lol. We made him look like a hall of famer last year. Last night he looked just ok. That's a step up for our D.

wildcat
08-28-2010, 05:56 PM

McCoy ended up with 28 yards on 5 rushes for an average of 5.6 per carry. Take away the 18 yard TD run that happened when our O put our D on their heels and he ran 10 yards on 4 attempts at 2.5 yards per run.

Charles on the other hand had 40 yards on only 6 carries for an average of 6.7 per. Even if you take away Charles' 20 yard run, he still had a respectable 4 yard per carry average.

I understand your concern about the run D, but I don't think it was as bad as it seemed. If we can continue to get pressure on the opposing team's QB and get them off of the field long enough for our D to get a breather every now and then, our run D is going to look a heck of a lot better than it did last year.

matthewschiefs
08-28-2010, 06:56 PM
McCoy ended up with 28 yards on 5 rushes for an average of 5.6 per carry. Take away the 18 yard TD run that happened when our O put our D on their heels and he ran 10 yards on 4 attempts at 2.5 yards per run.

Charles on the other hand had 40 yards on only 6 carries for an average of 6.7 per. Even if you take away Charles' 20 yard run, he still had a respectable 4 yard per carry average.

I understand your concern about the run D, but I don't think it was as bad as it seemed. If we can continue to get pressure on the opposing team's QB and get them off of the field long enough for our D to get a breather every now and then, our run D is going to look a heck of a lot better than it did last year.

The Run D has looked MUCH better then a year ago all preseason. Outside of some plays here or there it has looked like a real NFL D on both run and pass plays. That is a HUGE postive for this team. If the Offense can get it together as much as the D has this preseason during the season then this team will be just fine. :chiefs:

AkChief49
08-28-2010, 06:58 PM

going into this game Philly was leading the league in rush YPG(168 yd/gm avg.). Our D held them to 106 Rush yards. As of now , we, the Chiefs lead the league in Rush ypg. with a 150yd/gm avg.:punk: Yes I know it's pre-season. Just liking what the D showed me yesterday.:bananen_smilies046:

matthewschiefs
08-28-2010, 07:03 PM
going into this game Philly was leading the league in rush YPG(168 yd/gm avg.). Our D held them to 106 Rush yards. As of now , we, the Chiefs lead the league in Rush ypg. with a 150yd/gm avg.:punk: Yes I know it's pre-season. Just liking what the D showed me yesterday.:bananen_smilies046:

I no its just preseason but could we even come close to saying this last preseason. This is just anther sign that this team is getting much better and will be real good real soon.

Bakie
08-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Agreed^^ The only strong hole that I still see in the team is our offensive line, and they even seem to be coming around. I do believe there is enough talent/raw talent in the O-line that when Bill Muir is done with them they should give Cassel the protection that he needs to silence all the Nay Sayers.

wolfpack
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
olines always take longer to gel. ours looked better the second half last year after they stopped putting in new people every week.
Granted, we dont have the line that vermil had, but not many teams do.
If we can get the running game going then maybe,just maybe the pass blocking will get better.

MDChiefs!
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
You sound as if every mistake Cassel has made, is the fault of the o-line and not his. Better pass protection will definitely help the situation, but at the same time Cassel needs to develop some pocket presence. Hes not helping his line out at all when hes not stepping up into the pocket when its there, or when he gets happy feet and cant decide what top do with the ball.

Agreed^^ The only strong hole that I still see in the team is our offensive line, and they even seem to be coming around. I do believe there is enough talent/raw talent in the O-line that when Bill Muir is done with them they should give Cassel the protection that he needs to silence all the Nay Sayers.