PDA

View Full Version : Matt Leinart

wildcat
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Somebody had to start a thread on him eventually. ESPN.com has an article that claims the Cardinals are taking calls about him from other teams.

There is obviously a connection since Haley was once his OC, and it's never a bad idea to improve your depth at QB. If Cassell turns out not to be our guy, or if he gets injured, where are we going to turn. As much as I like Brodie, everybody knows we would be lucky to get through one game without him being injured.

I have always felt like Leinart could be a star QB if he was ever given a real chance to become a full-time starter. He has been better than Anderson statistically, but rumor has it that his teammates just don't believe in Leinart and so Anderson is going to be the starter. Something tells me that Leinart is now highly motivated to prove his teammates and critics wrong, and he is going to go somewhere and do good things. A motivated QB with Leinart's talent and a fresh start could be scary good.

hometeam
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
gross. why replace cassel with a QB who is arguably worse than he is. He is left handed, has no arm strength, no locker room presence. Yuk.

wildcat
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
gross. why replace cassel with a QB who is arguably worse than he is. He is left handed, has no arm strength, no locker room presence. Yuk.

I'm not suggesting the Chiefs replace Cassel with Leinart. I was talking about improving our depth at QB and having another backup in case Matt gets injured or simply does not work out as our QB.

Drunker Hillbilly
09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Let me be the first to say HELL NO!!!!!!!!!! I've watched this guy since he's been out of college and he SUCKS!!! Checkdown KING. NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!

matthewschiefs
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I would not be 100% against the move depending on what we would have to give up for him. He's not any better or worse then brodie IMO but he does not have the history of getting carted off the field that Brodie does. It would not be a horrible move but I really don't see it happeing.

Drunker Hillbilly
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
6 yds avg per pass, 70 QB rating, more INT's than TD's in his career, weak arm, inaccurate, bad footwork and is possibly the biggest (kitty cat) in the league. ZERO fire and Fitz has said he doesn't want to go across the middle with Leinart throwing the ball. He's gone from Arizona but I highly doubt KC is anywhere oin the radar and I am SO glad. Whisenhunt is a great QB coach and see's nothing in this kid. As well he shoudn't. NO, NO, NO!!!

buffman316
09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I would have to say no to this as well, even though the depth would be nice. Leinart simply brings too many negatives with a poor work ethic and lack of ability.

figcrostic
09-01-2010, 10:45 AM

You guys all no my feelings on Cassel so it has a lot of value when I say "Cassel is better then Leinhart!" Leinhart sucks!

Seek
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
He is a complete bust. The fact the Cardinals went out and signed Derek Anderson and gave him the nod as starter speaks a ton in how much Leinart sucks.

Leinart was a product of good players around him at USC just like J. Russell was a product of good players around him at LSU.

There is absolutely not reason to trade of Leinart yet alone take on his contract or even to restructure.

It was also Haley who benched Leinart in favor of Warner. I think Haley knows what Leinart brings to the table and he is not the character that fits his 53 roster.

wildcat
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
He actually looked very promising as a rookie (am I the only one who remembers his game against the Chiefs that year!?). He got yanked early in his second season when Whisenhunt took over, and has never been given much of a chance since.

Take a look at his first year game logs, which includes the record for the most passing yards ever in a single game by a rookie, and tell me if you really think he is a Russell caliber bust:

Matt Leinart Game Log - Arizona Cardinals - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9596&sYear=2006)

I realize that there are some games where his QB rating wasn't great, but there were just as many times that it was great. Inconsistency is expected out a a rookie, but great games are a sign of potential.

I'm not saying that I am definitely right, but there are plenty of reasons to think that he has massive amounts of potential. I would be willing to wager that he would have been a solid starting QB at worst by now if they had not switched coaching staffs on him during his second year.

And to those complaining about his arm, how often did you see Rich Gannon throw the ball deep down the field and what did you think of his ability as a QB? Nobody questioned Leinart's leadership at USC. Maybe it's hard to be a leader when, for whatever reason, your teammates don't believe in you. Would they believe in him more if their coach had given him a vote of confidence? Is another coach willing to give him a legit chance and a vote of confidence now?

bwilliams
09-01-2010, 12:08 PM
He actually looked very promising as a rookie (am I the only one who remembers his game against the Chiefs that year!?). He got yanked early in his second season when Whisenhunt took over, and has never been given much of a chance since.

Take a look at his first year game logs, which includes the record for the most passing yards ever in a single game by a rookie, and tell me if you really think he is a Russell caliber bust:

Matt Leinart Game Log - Arizona Cardinals - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=9596&sYear=2006)

I realize that there are some games where his QB rating wasn't great, but there were just as many times that it was great. Inconsistency is expected out a a rookie, but great games are a sign of potential.

I'm not saying that I am definitely right, but there are plenty of reasons to think that he has massive amounts of potential. I would be willing to wager that he would have been a solid starting QB at worst by now if they had not switched coaching staffs on him during his second year.

And to those complaining about his arm, how often did you see Rich Gannon throw the ball deep down the field and what did you think of his ability as a QB? Nobody questioned Leinart's leadership at USC. Maybe it's hard to be a leader when, for whatever reason, your teammates don't believe in you. Would they believe in him more if their coach had given him a vote of confidence? Is another coach willing to give him a legit chance and a vote of confidence now?

Leinert is a left-handed version of Cassel on the field (questionable accuracy and arm strength), and he's a locker room cancer. It makes absolutely no sense to sign him, much less trade anything for him.

If we pick anyone up for a backup, it should just be a solid vet. A guy like Josh McCown or Jeff Garcia isn't great or anything, but at least he's healthy and good locker room guy.

MDChiefs!
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Leinhart hasnt progressed at all since he came into the NFL. This guys is absolute garbage. Not only has he shown zero progression, but he is still as immature as ever. If he cant win the confidence and support if his locker room, why would he work out here? I am actually fine with the QBs we have now on the roster. I would rather take a chance on Quinn if hes released. Next year we might need to be looking at a new one. Not this year

OTR Chiefs fan
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Leinert is a left-handed version of Cassel on the field (questionable accuracy and arm strength), and he's a locker room cancer. It makes absolutely no sense to sign him, much less trade anything for him.

If we pick anyone up for a backup, it should just be a solid vet. A guy like Josh McCown or Jeff Garcia isn't great or anything, but at least he's healthy and good locker room guy.

Garcia is not a good locker room guy from what I've heard. In the past he hasn't helped any of the young QBs at all, which is what you want from a vet. QB to come in as a back up. He's all about himself. I think he would cause dissension in the locker room more than he would help. :chiefs:

Drunker Hillbilly
09-01-2010, 04:20 PM

I've watched every game this guy has started and played in. He is not NFL starter material. Period. If a team is looking for a backup that will dink and dunk, take quite a few sacks and hang some receivers out to dry, he's their guy!!!

N TX Dave
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Well all I have to say about it is our coach knows him very well and if he does not want him that is fine with me. I would think if he saw something in him he would be trying to get him. Maybe our coach who happened to be the OC at the time had something to do with Leinart being benched just maybe!

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Well, the nice thing about this is, between Charlie Weis and Haley, they know what kind of player this guy is. If they DON'T sign off on him, you can trust it's because he isn't worth it. If they DID trade for him, you can bet that the guy isn't void of talent.

I don't care either way, but it would have to be a late pick.

honda522
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
If he can't be made a star with Larry Fitzgerald helping him, then how can he be a star here when our reciters combined don't add up to what Fitz is?

2010chiefs
09-01-2010, 10:14 PM
He actually reminds me of Matt Cassel but worse. He can't throw the long ball and has terrible footwork! I love the way Brodie plays except he's always hurt. I still rather have Brodie as a backup. Matt Leinart made his case worse when he started crying to the media about not starting. He also became the cancer of the locker room after that. NO NO NO to Leinart. With all that said I still wouldn't be surprised if Todd Haley reaches out to give him a shot. GO CHIEFS!

tornadospotter
09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
YouTube- USC in the NFL preseason: Sanchez's first drive & Leinart's highlights

Connie Jo
09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with Wildcat, in that I thought Leinart was impressive his rookie year as well, and the Cardinals had a potential star QB in the making. I do remember the game against the Chiefs that year, which helped form my positive opinion then of Leinart. I've not followed his career much since, so no further opinion, haha.

Seek
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
So a team spent a ton of money on a guy and has given up on him, but there are people wanting him because he had a good rookie season for the very team that gave up on him. Seriously.

Hey J. Russell had a good 4th Qtr series against the Chiefs that won the game. Maybe we should bring him in too.

wildcat
09-02-2010, 09:41 AM
So a team spent a ton of money on a guy and has given up on him, but there are people wanting him because he had a good rookie season for the very team that gave up on him. Seriously.

Hey J. Russell had a good 4th Qtr series against the Chiefs that won the game. Maybe we should bring him in too.

So, based on your logic, having a good quarter is the equivalent of having a good season?

I'm not sure that a single person who has responded to this thread, myself included, has said that we should bring him in for sure. A few of us believe he still has some potential and are entertaining the idea that he might improve our depth at QB, and, if Cassel gets injured or does not have the season that we hope he does, maybe he is better than what we currently have on the roster to step in for him.

N TX Dave
09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
So, based on your logic, having a good quarter is the equivalent of having a good season?

I'm not sure that a single person who has responded to this thread, myself included, has said that we should bring him in for sure. A few of us believe he still has some potential and are entertaining the idea that he might improve our depth at QB, and, if Cassel gets injured or does not have the season that we hope he does, maybe he is better than what we currently have on the roster to step in for him.

Again that is a matter of opinion and I will go along with our HCs opinion who coached him a year or two.

Seek
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Do you realize how much that back up QB would cost this team in Salary yet alone losing a probable High to mid draft pick.

Maybe our better option is to let Leinart be the bust he is and if Cassel does not pan out to be who he is, then lets draft a QB and give someone else with potential a shot. And then while we are at it, use that saved draft pick to fix another hole at mabye DL or OL.

Now, IF we do bring him. I will behind him and hope he does well, but until he is a Chief. He sucks...

Drunker Hillbilly
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Ha Ha Ha
$14 million or so. His contract was massively backloaded.......

matthewschiefs
09-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Now that he has been cut I would not mind seeing him brought in for a low price. I think he would be a clear upgrade from Palko and he has been around haley would not be a bad move IMO.

stricken721
09-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Now that he has been cut I would not mind seeing him brought in for a low price. I think he would be a clear upgrade from Palko and he has been around haley would not be a bad move IMO.

Agreed. Palko isn't worth the spot.

brdempsey69
09-04-2010, 06:31 PM

I agree. They wouldn't have to give up anything for him, he gets a fresh start & he was teammates with Cassel in college. A question that needs to be asked about Leinart is just how much of a fair shake did he really get with the Cardinals?

Ryfo18
09-04-2010, 06:40 PM
How ironic would that be, Leinart is brought in to back up the quarterback he started over all of college. HA! I'm not a big Leinart fan...Not even Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald could help him to succeed at this level. I wish him luck, but with some other team.

Canada
09-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I dont't see a problem with bringing Leinart in if the price is right. I would feel better going into the season with 3 guys who have played some NFL level of football. I agree with BRD, I dont know that Leinart ever really got a fair shake in Arz. I think a change of scenery, a second chance and a chip on his shoulder to prove some people wrong could be a good thing.

stricken721
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I just wonder who Todd Haley would put in if the game came down to the line and something happened to Cassel, would he put in Brodie since he knows the offense better? Or would he put in Matt Leinart because he actually has some wins as an NFL starter.

Drunker Hillbilly
09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
This would be a monumental mistake! I think Haley knows this as well.

yashi
09-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I wish we had drafted a 3rd stringer to develop in the late rounds or maybe picked up an undrafted QB, but we do only have 2 QBs now, so I'd be fine with picking him up for the minimum.

wolfpack
09-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Leinart will likely never come here. He wants and thinks he should start. Carring a clipboard and water bottles for cassel and brokie wont cut it.

KCINNYC
09-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Leinart will likely never come here. He wants and thinks he should start. Carring a clipboard and water bottles for cassel and brokie wont cut it.

That would be true if Leinart had a choice in the matter, and no team is going to sign him as their immediate starter.

If the rumors are true that he was a little too spoiled to put in the necessary work to be the starter, I imagine Haley wants nothing to do with him and probably realized that a couple of years ago.

It might be interesting to see what Haley's position on him was when they drafted him...

Hayvern
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
That would be true if Leinart had a choice in the matter, and no team is going to sign him as their immediate starter.

If the rumors are true that he was a little too spoiled to put in the necessary work to be the starter, I imagine Haley wants nothing to do with him and probably realized that a couple of years ago.

It might be interesting to see what Haley's position on him was when they drafted him...

What is interesting is that Haley did not want him, and Seattle coach Pete Carroll did not go after him either. Carroll coached Leinert in his glory days of college and did not make a move to get him. Perhaps he knows something the rest of us do not?