PDA

View Full Version : Overall Preseason thoughts

matthewschiefs
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
This preseason was 100% better then the preseason that we saw a year ago. I think that there were far more postives then there was negitives. And for the first time in a while this looks like a real football team.

I am more sold on Todd Haley then ever. Last season this team did not often look as good as they have now. And this is only preseason. I no preseason does not mean much but just the fact that the past preseasons have looked so bad this is a huge step forward IMO.

Postives.
The defense. The defense a year ago gave up tons of yards on the ground and could not get pressure on the qb to save there own lifes. They looked much better on both accounts. Pressure still needs to get more but it's a far step forward on the defensive side of the ball.

The runing game. It looks really good. With Jones Charles and Mccluster I don't think that there is any question that this is going to be an offense that is based on the running game.

The return game. Last year this was a week point. Outside a few nice returns by Charles the Chiefs started often in the shadow of there own goal line most the time.

Negtives
The passing game needs work. It is by far the weak point of the offense. I hope then when in the real season the running game opens things up for them more but the passing game is in real need of work.

The late defense. Blew a game that the Chiefs should have won against Philly in the last moments. They have to play better in the last moments of the game.

I think this team can make a run at the playoffs with us playing the weak NFC WEST. :chiefs:

Three7s
09-03-2010, 12:15 AM
While I agree with your assessment, I wouldn't really call the late defensive problems as a negative, the guys that gave up those plays will be lucky to be on the practice squad on Saturday.

matthewschiefs
09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
While I agree with your assessment, I wouldn't really call the late defensive problems as a negative, the guys that gave up those plays will be lucky to be on the practice squad on Saturday.

That's true. But the negative in that is if a couple of guys get hurt then some of those guys will be on the field. I hope that doesn't happen but we are not a very deep football team at the moment. Maybe we will find a good player when the cuts happen.

Jasper
09-03-2010, 01:59 AM
In general I would like put pre-season behind me, and just hope like heck for a fast start to the season. But for the sake of discussion, I will suggest that on the Defensive side of the ball, my Kool-Aid is definitely EBerry flavor! And though I remain uncomfortable with the combination of Cassel and the O-Line, I hope the brilliance of Mc-LUSTER, the will to BATTLE in ARENAS throughout the NFL, and the re-tooled Arrowhead will have Chiefs fans feeling as if shot from a BOWE as we rally the sea of Red to help our team Shock the Chargers and the World on Monday Night!!

stricken721
09-03-2010, 02:03 AM
In general I would like put pre-season behind me, and just hope like heck for a fast start to the season. But for the sake of discussion, I will suggest that on the Defensive side of the ball, my Kool-Aid is definitely EBerry flavor! And though I remain uncomfortable with the combination of Cassel and the O-Line, I hope the brilliance of Mc-LUSTER, the will to BATTLE in ARENAS throughout the NFL, and the re-tooled Arrowhead will have Chiefs fans feeling as if shot from a BOWE as we rally the sea of Red to help our team Shock the Chargers and the World on Monday Night!!

Well as long as we don't SUCCOP I think we will be ok.

yashi
09-03-2010, 07:33 AM
My biggest overall concern is still apparent: Matt Cassel could be the reason this team doesn't make the playoffs if it manages to stay relatively healthy and he doesn't improve dramatically. I witnessed the guy stand in the pocket, have all day to throw, and then throw it right over the tight end running a drag route across the middle 5 yards away. Hell, I could make that throw in my sleep.

Chief Tyler
09-03-2010, 07:54 AM
My biggest overall concern is still apparent: Matt Cassel could be the reason this team doesn't make the playoffs if it manages to stay relatively healthy and he doesn't improve dramatically. I witnessed the guy stand in the pocket, have all day to throw, and then throw it right over the tight end running a drag route across the middle 5 yards away. Hell, I could make that throw in my sleep.

His incompletion to Bowe in the end zone looked eerily Favre-esque where he heaved that game winner last season against the 49ers. Except for the fact that it was the first quarter of a game that didn't matter and Cassel isn't nearly good or lucky enough to make a completion like that (though he is lucky enough to land a contract 60 million bigger than what he's worth and Bowe gave it all he could to make him look good).

yashi
09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
His incompletion to Bowe in the end zone looked eerily Favre-esque where he heaved that game winner last season against the 49ers. Except for the fact that it was the first quarter of a game that didn't matter and Cassel isn't nearly good or lucky enough to make a completion like that (though he is lucky enough to land a contract 60 million bigger than what he's worth and Bowe gave it all he could to make him look good).

Yeah, not to mention Favre did it against a prevent defense and Cassel was against maybe half of a first string defense.

The biggest difference I see when I watch Cassel and then watch good quarterbacks around the league (aside from arm strength) is that other quarterbacks just seem to have way better vision. They know when to hit their receivers off of their breaks and when there's nothing there, and they make quick decisions.

Too often we see him trying to force a 5 yard throw to a guy that's being blanketed, even on 3rd and long type situations, rather than throwing a 10-20 yard pass where only the receiver can catch it and letting them try and make a play.

We have enough talent now that 3rd and 10 should not be a 5 yard pass to Leonard Pope unless he is wide open with room to run. Try to make something happen at least. Manning, Brady, Brees, and company didn't get to where they are by checking down to guys with no chance of getting a 1st down.

Bowe, Chambers, McCluster, Charles. The last thing I want to see on 3rd and 10 is a 5 yard pass to Leonard Pope. Ever. Defenses will give you that all day, and for good reason.

Seek
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

I will disagree.... I was on the fence with Cassel and after pre-season game one I was ready to throw him under the bus. I felt his performance in Game two was very sharp, even though he didn't through any deep balls, but the Chiefs had a game plan and he threw the ball accurately.

Game three, he wasn't impressive, but not horrible either.

Last night, I thought Cassel was impressive. Yes, he threw a bad pass over the middle. Other than that he was pretty accurate and has some mustard on the ball. The long pass to Bowe was dead on accurate, but Bowe was raped.

Yes he threw a bad pass, but even the best QB's make at least one bad throw a game. I have seen Peyton Manning do a bunch, and you can see the frustration on his face when he does it. It happens.

I strongly believe that some fans, are so dead set on hating on a guy, that you become blind to everything else he does except the negative and essentially are giving him an unrealistic chance.

I am not saying he is going to be a top 10 QB, but he is good enough to make the playoffs. He threw one interception in Pre-season that I can recall and it was still a good pass had Bowe not slipped. If Bowe had caught that, it was some big yards.

There also people hating on Haley, but the guy so far this off season, has made a huge change compared to last year.

I am more worried about our run defense than our QB.

wildcat
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Based on what I have seen in the preseason, I think our team overall is much improved. I think QB play is what will determine whether we are a 6 win team or a .500 or better team competing for a spot in the playoffs.

I want Cassel to be the guy, but I am concerned. I guess the good news if that if he leads us to a 6 win season, we will be able to draft high enough to take a potential franchise QB. The bad news is that drafting a QB would likely set us back a year or two.

nigeriannightmare
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I will disagree.... I was on the fence with Cassel and after pre-season game one I was ready to throw him under the bus. I felt his performance in Game two was very sharp, even though he didn't through any deep balls, but the Chiefs had a game plan and he threw the ball accurately.

Last night, I thought Cassel was impressive. Yes, he threw a bad pass over the middle. Other than that he was pretty accurate and has some mustard on the ball. The long pass to Bowe was dead on accurate, but Bowe was raped.

Yes he threw a bad pass, but even the best QB's make at least one bad throw a game. I have seen Peyton Manning do a bunch, and you can see the frustration on his face when he does it. It happens.

I strongly believe that some fans, are so dead set on hating on a guy, that you become blind to everything else he does except the negative and essentially are giving him an unrealistic chance.

I am not saying he is going to be a top 10 QB, but he is good enough to make the playoffs. He threw one interception in Pre-season that I can recall and it was still a good pass had Bowe not slipped. If Bowe had caught that, it was some big yards.

There also people hating on Haley, but the guy so far this off season, has made a huge change compared to last year.

We finally are gonna get some special teams play this year but the run defense has not looked very good at all. By far a bigger concern than the QB.

Three7s
09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
We finally are gonna get some special teams play this year but the run defense has not looked very good at all. By far a bigger concern than the QB.
Really? I guess holding teams to 100 yards rushing or less ion average through the preseason isn't good enough!

buffman316
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I remember last year in pre season where we were begging for a first down. It is nice to see some defense and the offense be able to move the ball. I see everywhere that people are worried about Cassel but keep in mind that not only was everything new last year for him, as soon as he got kind of used to things everything changed again when they released Chan. I see a potential slow start for Matt in early games, but I think he can get it together quickly.
One thing I love is our running game and our return game. When they put Arenas and McCluster back there for a kick off return, the Packers wanted nothing to do with it and kicked it on the ground twice. There are many areas of growth on both sides of the ball that we have seen and this should be an exciting season.

nigeriannightmare
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Really? I guess holding teams to 100 yards rushing or less ion average through the preseason isn't good enough!

MCCOY 20 carries for 84 yards and a TD which came right through the middle. but ur right it was under a 100 yards lets see what happens when number 1 backs carry the ball 25-30 times against us.

yashi
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM

That's just it. How many teams without a top 10 or 15 QB made the playoffs last season?

One. And they had the best defense in the NFL.

It's possible, but the odds are heavily against you to make the playoffs without a very good QB.

N TX Dave
09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
That's just it. How many teams without a top 10 or 15 QB made the playoffs last season?

It's possible, but the odds are heavily against you to make the playoffs without a very good QB.

He said top 10 there are 12 teams that make the playoffs so that means that at least 2 were not top 10 so you are telling me that all top 10 QB made the playoffs. Besides what makes a top 10 QB? The team has a lot to do with it and mostly only good teams make the playoffs put Brady or Farve on the Chiefs last year or even better 2 years ago would they have been good QB's even though they would not have made the playoffs? One person can not win it all (carry a team on his back) in the NFL now days there is too much talent for that.
I agree with you in part in that you have to have a good QB to make the playoffs but not a top 10. There have been teams that have won the SB without a top 10 QB. You will never make the playoffs with a team that has a sub-par QB i feel though.

:efpge:

GarH
09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Cassel sat on the bench for 7 years and last year he played behind the Chiefs offensive line. He played pretty good behind the Pats line when given the chance. I have no idea how he will turn out, but I do know it's too early to say.

yashi
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
He said top 10 there are 12 teams that make the playoffs so that means that at least 2 were not top 10 so you are telling me that all top 10 QB made the playoffs. Besides what makes a top 10 QB? The team has a lot to do with it and mostly only good teams make the playoffs put Brady or Farve on the Chiefs last year or even better 2 years ago would they have been good QB's even though they would not have made the playoffs? One person can not win it all (carry a team on his back) in the NFL now days there is too much talent for that.
I agree with you in part in that you have to have a good QB to make the playoffs but not a top 10. There have been teams that have won the SB without a top 10 QB. You will never make the playoffs with a team that has a sub-par QB i feel though.

:efpge:

Yeah, that's why I said top 10 or 15. I almost just said top 10, then I'd obviously look pretty dumb. :D

Bill Simmons latest article mentions this tidbit that I couldn't agree with more:

Anyone can contend in the National Football League with two mediocre runners and a half-decent third-down back, as long as they can throw and play defense. But you can't contend in the National Football League if your QB sucks, or even if he's mediocre. The days of Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl are long gone.

The league has evolved a lot, and with all the rule changes now favoring a good passing game, your chances of winning football games greatly improves with a good quarterback, specifically one that attacks defenses and throws the ball downfield (it seems like every 2-3 deep balls nowadays results in a pass interference or roughing the passer, so there's big chunks of free yardage).

wildcat
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Even if Cassel turns out to not be the guy and we have to draft somebody, I think the front office made the right decision in bringing him in. He showed that he could be the leader of a good offense in New England, and we got him and Vrabel for a 2nd rounder. We gave him a big contract, but it is front loaded and we had/have tons of cap space.

If we had drafted a QB instead, the rookie QB would not have had any chance with the team around him, and especially with the OL in front of him. Now if we draft a QB in the next draft, the team around him will be much improved and we will still have Cassel to lead the offense until our young QB is ready. Plus we will have Weiss to groom him into a future star.

yashi
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Even if Cassel turns out to not be the guy and we have to draft somebody, I think the front office made the right decision in bringing him in. He showed that he could be the leader of a good offense in New England, and we got him and Vrabel for a 2nd rounder. We gave him a big contract, but it is front loaded and we had/have tons of cap space.

If we had drafted a QB instead, the rookie QB would not have had any chance with the team around him, and especially with the OL in front of him. Now if we draft a QB in the next draft, the team around him will be much improved and we will still have Cassel to lead the offense until our young QB is ready. Plus we will have Weiss to groom him into a future star.

I agree with all of this. We now know that Thigpen is not the quarterback that we thought he may have been, and Croyle obviously can't seem to stay healthy. Drafting a franchise QB this offseason if Cassel is mediocre at best would put us in a great situation for the future.

OTR Chiefs fan
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM

I agree the D front seven have me to most concerned. Somebody besides Hali needs to step up (hopefully Dorsey and Jackson) or teams will key on Hali and we could be in for a long season. The stand against the Packers last night was encouraging, but let's see them do it when the 1st team is out there in the 4th quarter.
:chiefs:

brdempsey69
09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I hope the Chiefs don't have to draft a QB next year with the 1st pick. The Chiefs success when it comes to drafting QB's has been dreadful. Trust me, Chiefs fans need to hope for Cassel to have a good season in 2010 and cement his place as the Chiefs QB for the long term. One thing that will help Cassel is to keep Barry Richardson as the starting RT, as he has given Cassel good pass protection -- better than O'Cal or Albert have.

bwilliams
09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope the Chiefs don't have to draft a QB next year with the 1st pick. The Chiefs success when it comes to drafting QB's has been dreadful. Trust me, Chiefs fans need to hope for Cassel to have a good season in 2010 and cement his place as the Chiefs QB for the long term. One thing that will help Cassel is to keep Barry Richardson as the starting RT, as he has given Cassel good pass protection -- better than O'Cal or Albert have.

Here's a fun stat. Who was the last QB the Chiefs drafted that started a game and won a game for them?

ANSWER: Todd Blackledge. December 13, 1987 versus the Chargers.

matthewschiefs
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM

I also hope that Cassel is the QB in KC for a long time to come. But if we do have to end up drafting a QB I don't think that the past means anything. This would be the first QB under the new GM. He does not have a bad record when it comes to drafting QBs. I think if we do have to pick a QB in the next draft that we have a much higher chance of getting it right.

brdempsey69
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I also hope that Cassel is the QB in KC for a long time to come. But if we do have to end up drafting a QB I don't think that the past means anything. This would be the first QB under the new GM. He does not have a bad record when it comes to drafting QBs. I think if we do have to pick a QB in the next draft that we have a much higher chance of getting it right.

Unfortunately, sometimes the past does mean something & sometimes you can't fight history. Doesn't matter what the GM did elsewhere. Not one single QB that the Chiefs have ever drafted -- except for Mike Livingston -- has had any remote success. And even Livingston's success was very limited as the Chiefs won very few games when he became the starting QB after Len Dawson retired.

chiefnut
09-03-2010, 02:23 PM
much happier w/what i saw this year than last. like everyone i am a little disapointed in our QB so far, but the D looks much better, however both offense and defense have not played w/the whole playbook or game planned against the other team.........nor have they against us!!! just gotta wait till the real season starts, then we will see the rear Matt Cassel and the rear CHIEFS.

Seek
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM

If we are seriously talking about making the play offs this year, Why would you be complaining about Cassel.

I certainly don't think this is a play off team. They may make the play-off but it will be because of a weak schedule and would most likely be one and done....

Given the talent around him he was good enough to win 10 games and did that coming off the bench after sitting on it since high school.

Just go back to the Home opener three years ago, and remember this stupid back up come back and beat the Chiefs. Do you remember the 3rd and long on the one yard line where the Chiefs all out blitz and he threaded the needle on a pass killing all momentum the Chiefs had.

Pro_Angler
09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
much better pre-season dispite the lack of play by Cassell. The run D is much better but our secondary looks bad at times. The middle of our secondary is still getting picked apart like they did all last year.
We need to keep with the pressure when we brind 3 or 4 we get picked apart when we bring 5-6 we get pressure..

matthewschiefs
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, sometimes the past does mean something & sometimes you can't fight history. Doesn't matter what the GM did elsewhere. Not one single QB that the Chiefs have ever drafted -- except for Mike Livingston -- has had any remote success. And even Livingston's success was very limited as the Chiefs won very few games when he became the starting QB after Len Dawson retired.

I have to disagree with you there. What a gm did elsewhere is not everything but It does matter because it's his history. If you had to chose a guy to draft a qb would you pick CP or SP? I would go with SP why because he has a better track record.

brdempsey69
09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I have to disagree with you there. What a gm did elsewhere is not everything but It does matter because it's his history. If you had to chose a guy to draft a qb would you pick CP or SP? I would go with SP why because he has a better track record.

That's my point -- it doesn't matter who the GM has been through Chiefs history. Even Don Klosterman didn't have success in the early 60's with the Chiefs drafting a QB & his track record spanning over 2 decades with Chiefs, Oilers, Colts & Rams is unmatched by CP or SP when it came to drafting and managing player personell.

If the Chiefs want another QB, then they'd be better served to trade for Jimmy Clausen as opposed to drafting one, as at least Clausen has experience with Charlie Weis.

whatwasthat?
09-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Here's a fun stat. Who was the last QB the Chiefs drafted that started a game and won a game for them?

ANSWER: Todd Blackledge. December 13, 1987 versus the Chargers.

wow lol :thumbdown:

rodu
09-03-2010, 06:54 PM
how any GM prior to Piolli drafted is irrelevant now, and to think otherwise is just superstitous

brdempsey69
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
how any GM prior to Piolli drafted is irrelevant now, and to think otherwise is just superstitous

Not superstition. Just simply knowing that sometimes you can't fight history. Don't believe me? How many times has Denver won in Miami? Or look at the 4 times the Chiefs have went unbeaten at home & hosted the opening playoff game at home and lost ( 1971, 1995, 1997 & 2003 ) -- Coincidence? Nope, the year the Chiefs won the Super Bowl in 1969, they lost one home game to the Raiders 27-24. Same type of bad history applies to the Chiefs when it comes to drafting QB's. I'm not superstitious at all -- I just know the history of these things.

Chiefster
09-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Good read! :D