PDA

View Full Version : Well Done D.J.

KCINNYC
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
He is starting. So much for all the "Haley is an a**hole...hates Derrick Johnson, his ego gets in the way of talent" talk. D.J. had an outstanding camp. YES I know D. Williams had more sacks in the preseason than any other Chief, and may have earned the starting spot, but D.J. endured sitting on the bench all of last season, he had TWO interceptions for TDs against Denver in the season finale last year, and he has done EVERYTHING that the coaches asked of him this presason, so I say, "congrats, you earned this." I know Williams is upset, but if Haley had benched Derrick again this year, I was going to be a little worried about the logic of how the coaching staff is doing things. I mean, the guy is a GAMER. Some guys sluff in practice but come game time they are studs, (Derrick Thomas) and I GET that Haley wants "the same guy day in and day out" but the reality is, some guys step up when the pressure is on. I am so happy DJ gets his chance.

matthewschiefs
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I think that Williams has shown why he was the starter a year ago. He is a good soild player. I think he will see lots of time on the field still this season. But it is good that DJ is back in the lineup. I think that both players are going to have good years

Connie Jo
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
He is starting. So much for all the "Haley is an a**hole...hates Derrick Johnson, his ego gets in the way of talent" talk. D.J. had an outstanding camp. YES I know D. Williams had more sacks in the preseason than any other Chief, and may have earned the starting spot, but D.J. endured sitting on the bench all of last season, he had TWO interceptions for TDs against Denver in the season finale last year, and he has done EVERYTHING that the coaches asked of him this presason, so I say, "congrats, you earned this." I know Williams is upset, but if Haley had benched Derrick again this year, I was going to be a little worried about the logic of how the coaching staff is doing things. I mean, the guy is a GAMER. Some guys sluff in practice but come game time they are studs, (Derrick Thomas) and I GET that Haley wants "the same guy day in and day out" but the reality is, some guys step up when the pressure is on. I am so happy DJ gets his chance.

REP!!

bbacker51
09-08-2010, 08:52 AM
let's not forget he will be looking for a contract next year..........that may have given him a different outlook on things. Hopefully he has a good year, but if he does he will be expensive to keep.

Seek
09-08-2010, 10:43 AM
DJ by far exceeded Williams in pass coverage. They were about equal in run stops, but Willams did better at pass rushing. I think you will see Williams and DJ together on the field in passing situations.

yashi
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
DJ is far and away the most talented inside linebacker we have, and I'm glad to see that he has earned a starting job.

He's also far and away the least consistent we have, unfortunately. So hopefully he's got that worked out. If so, he's going to have a MONSTER year. The last time we saw him in a meaningful game he returned two interceptions for touchdowns, so it's hard not to be excited to see him on the field more this year.

MDChiefs!
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I dont get it. DJ was nowhere to be seen in the preseaon, even with all the playing time he got. I thought Demarrio Williams outplayed him easily, and from multiple positions on the field. I love his athleticism, but he is still by far the worst linebacker we have against the run. This guy gets stuck on his blocks and stays there.

As someone mentioned above, his strength is pass coverage, so hopefully we can leave him in coverage while Belcher attacks the los.

Ryfo18
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Starter means little...This is a true rotation spot in the lineup. DJ will probably see more action on early downs and Demorrio will be in for the passing downs.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
DJ used to be the least consistent player we had.

DJ used to be a "gamer."

He earned his starting job by being consistent. haley didn't relent and just give him the job. DJ actually did what the coaches were asking (for once) and was rewarded with the starting job.

Demorrio might end up with his hand on the ground rushing the passer sometimes.

By the way, y'all - this is the kind of problem we wanted - having to decide between two good players.

I still would like to have seen DJ slide over to that "thumper" position, but he just isn't physical enough to play it.

Seek
09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I dont get it. DJ was nowhere to be seen in the preseaon, even with all the playing time he got. I thought Demarrio Williams outplayed him easily, and from multiple positions on the field. I love his athleticism, but he is still by far the worst linebacker we have against the run. This guy gets stuck on his blocks and stays there.

As someone mentioned above, his strength is pass coverage, so hopefully we can leave him in coverage while Belcher attacks the los.

You need to watch the pre-season again, and stop looking for the sacks or big stop for no gain...You may have noticed D. Williams and that was only because he was excited about his performance, but if you see what he was excited about, it wasn't really good. Stops for 4 yards against back ups isn't something to get pumped up if you ask me.

The run support by DJ and Williams was equal in my opinion. They never did great, but didn't do bad either.

However, I dare you find Williams defending a pass or making a tackle on a receiver just as he caught it. DJ made some very nice plays on screen passes or dump offs to the TE/RB when the team blitzed. Dj's coverage was outstanding against the Packers and I believe that is the deciding factor in who starts.

Now, they did start doing other things with Williams to help him rush the passer. I strongly believe, Crennel is trying to find ways to get both of them on the field as much as possible, even at the same time.

MDChiefs!
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I have watched the entire preseason many times already. ANd what I noticed is that DJ got more playing time, and was out of position more times than not. He played 60 min in the first 2 games and he managed toy wrap up the ball carrier twice. Only twice. Do you know why? Because he spent most of his time stuck on blockers, or he was lost and out of position.

And here you are telling me not to get excited about preseason play against backups, but your raving about how good DJ looked against 2nd and 3rd stringers? Thats not right...

Haley was not an idiot when he sat DJ last year. We got more out of him last year than we have seen from him the previous 5. Hes a great passing down linebacker, because of his coverage skills, but hes a liability against the run, and if you dont think so than I dont know who you were watching last year...While everyone remembers how great his 2 picks for TDs were against Denver last year, nobody brings up the fact that he missed 6 tackles in that game. 6!

I guess we will see if he is more consistent than he has been the past 5 years, but I doubt it.

MDChiefs!
09-08-2010, 02:05 PM
And please dont tell me im not a real fan because I dont think DJ should start..

bwilliams
09-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm just confused why we aren't starting DJ and Williams. Belcher could rotate in. What am I missing?

yashi
09-08-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm just confused why we aren't starting DJ and Williams. Belcher could rotate in. What am I missing?

They play the same position, Will backer.

bwilliams
09-08-2010, 03:06 PM
They play the same position, Will backer.

Huh? A WILL backer is usually a 4-3 designation, not a 3-4 one. In a 3-4, you typically have two MIKE backers at the ILB spot. While neither DJ or Williams are prototypical MIKE backers, I think they're more so than Belcher.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I have watched the entire preseason many times already. ANd what I noticed is that DJ got more playing time, and was out of position more times than not.

I'm not saying everything you posted is incorrect, but I just think it's kind of ridiculous that you say he was "out of position more times than not," as if you know what his assignment was on those particular plays.

MDChiefs!
09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
In the 3-4 you have a strong side and weak side ILB. Sometimes coaches dont want to mix them around because each ILB spots have their assignments. One side is usually put on the run (weak in our case) and the strong side LB is left to blitz, drop back in cover, or whatever the play calls for.

And your right, I dont know what the calls are for our defense, but after what we saw last year with him struggling, and after we saw Mike Vrbabel get onto him during a game this preseason for not knowing where hes supposed to be, can only make me wonder. Maybe he wasnt out of position this preseasons as I make it out to be, maybe im still pissed at his performance last season, because he is one of my favorite Chiefs. But if Todd Haley and Romeo give him the start, I do trust their decision.

rodu
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
we called the two ILB's when I played 3-4 in high school mike and mac

bwilliams
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
In the 3-4 you have a strong side and weak side ILB. Sometimes coaches dont want to mix them around because each ILB spots have their assignments. One side is usually put on the run (weak in our case) and the strong side LB is left to blitz, drop back in cover, or whatever the play calls for.

They're called the MAC and the MIKE ILBs. The MAC plays the weakside and the MIKE the strongside. Both would usually be MIKE backers in a 4-3.

EDIT: what rodu said

I guess it was just my assumption that one of DJ or D. Williams was going to be the strongside backers. Because I sure didn't see Belcher in the role. He's got to be one of the smallest (if not *the* smallest) starting LBs in the NFL as it is.

MDChiefs!
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I didnt know they had a universal name for ILBs in the 3-4. When I played, we were strong side and weak side. Same role, different name.

I have the same concern with Belcher. I love the guy, and he can hit like a tone of brick, but im wondering he can be as effective starting, as he was last year in situational roles. Im worried about his small frame holding up against the point of attack for 50 - 60 snaps a game...

Im very optimistic though. He looks very solid for a second year undrafted player. If anyone can his and DJs potential, its Crennel

They're called the MAC and the MIKE ILBs. The MAC plays the weakside and the MIKE the strongside. Both would usually be MIKE backers in a 4-3.

EDIT: what rodu said

I guess it was just my assumption that one of DJ or D. Williams was going to be the strongside backers. Because I sure didn't see Belcher in the role. He's got to be one of the smallest (if not *the* smallest) starting LBs in the NFL as it is.

Seek
09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I have watched the entire preseason many times already. ANd what I noticed is that DJ got more playing time, and was out of position more times than not. He played 60 min in the first 2 games and he managed toy wrap up the ball carrier twice. Only twice. Do you know why? Because he spent most of his time stuck on blockers, or he was lost and out of position.

And here you are telling me not to get excited about preseason play against backups, but your raving about how good DJ looked against 2nd and 3rd stringers? Thats not right...

Haley was not an idiot when he sat DJ last year. We got more out of him last year than we have seen from him the previous 5. Hes a great passing down linebacker, because of his coverage skills, but hes a liability against the run, and if you dont think so than I dont know who you were watching last year...While everyone remembers how great his 2 picks for TDs were against Denver last year, nobody brings up the fact that he missed 6 tackles in that game. 6!

I guess we will see if he is more consistent than he has been the past 5 years, but I doubt it.

The DJ I watched was against the Tampa Starters and Green Bay starters, minus Rodgers.

I am not saying he was oustanding against the Run. He was out of place, but just as much as Williams.

DJ last year sucked. You can read all of my off season post and some pre-season post defending Haley for sitting DJ. I still support that. DJ may still suck, fact of the matter, between him and Williams, DJ is probably doing things better that matters the most to the team right now.

it could also be the fact that maybe the Chiefs think San Diego will plan to throw more instead of run, and just maybe next week against Cleveland, they start Williams against a team without a passing game.

KottkeKU
09-08-2010, 04:58 PM
i really see Crennel operating the front 7 like our RB situation... I see one package for run downs, and a few other packages for blitzes and obvious passing downs, and also 3rd down situations.

Gilberry/Jackson, Dorsey/Magee, Studebaker/Vrabel, Demorrio/DJ/Belecher and maybe even more, should all see consistent snaps. We really dont have a starting 11 like most teams. Crennel i believe is trying to squeeze every ounce of talent he has on defense, using all players on the defensive roster for some purpose...

i dont think most teams operate like that. Most teams want their starting 11 in there for as many snaps as they can take, am i wrong?

chief31
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
The one thing that got Williams so much attention was the three sacks. Two of which he rushed from his ILB position, and was unblocked on both.

One would credit those sacks to defensive play-calling, or failures on the offense.

Honestly, any player would have been able to make those sacks. There is no skill involved in running unchallenged. Those are really Crennel sacks in my opinion.

And the third of his sacks came while he was playing OLB in place of Tamba Hali.

Johnson, on the other hand, was in on alot of plays.

From tipping passes, to being all over a reciever and stopping him short of a first-down, to bring up fourth-down.

Not to say that Johnson was brilliant. But he did perform well, while Williams was nowhere to be found while at ILB, aside from the two freebies.

But if Johnson slacks, the least bit, Williams will be right there to take over.

Pro_Angler
09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I wouldnt play too much into sacks that williams got over DJ. DJ was in at different times in different packages were he wasnt rushing the passer a bunch.

Good job DJ, now lay someone out.

KristofLaw
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I hope he has a monster year this season starting against the Chargers this coming Monday! Earn that money with a big year DJ!

Can't wait to see our LB's against the Chargers on Monday Night!!! Go Chiefs!!!