PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap! I got an idea! ow..that hurt...

m0ef0e
09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
I really do think we are showing some potential of coming together offensively. Although to do so would require us to find a new identity for our offense, especially earlier in games. The word for this enigmatic new persona is...(drum roll please)...passing. That's right, we need to sprinkle the pass into situations that seem less than ideal for it in order to try and catch the defense out of position. If we do this, it will open up the possibility for big plays. If we pass early, we still have the rest of the game to overcome any potential mistakes. If we score early, we can sit on a lead, pound LJ, and play conservative when it matters most-- the fourth quarter. Much like Herman Edwards wants to do with his gameplan.

However, Herm seems to have this backwards, somehow. Last week, I think almost any team in the league could have beat us. Not very many defenses in the NFL are so poor that they aren't going to stop your first x amount of possesions when they know exactly what you are doing. Run, run, and pass when it's forced on you. That is the offensive gameplan of the Chiefs right now and it's anemic.

Say you are Herm, and you are playing a pro defense that knows what you are doing and you keep doing it until they stop you enough times that they either put together a drive or get some special teams help for a score. Now, you have spotted them points. Now you are playing catch up. If enough clock runs or more points are scored, eventually you will have to pass. You may find enough success late in games to catch up and score. Though with how the Chiefs' offense has performed so far this season, it's safe to say that this situation is less than ideal.

However, if we just sprinkle in some passing and a few trick plays early, while the score is still tied, we may catch the defense on their heels. Especially since EVERYBODY KNOWS the Chiefs are going to run. If we hit a home run and score early, we won't have try and score all our points down the stretch while playing from behind. Also, if we pass early, we can stretch the field and keep the defense honest. Which will help the running game later when you really want to eat clock and play conservative if you have a lead.

I think it would certainly be possible for the Chiefs to be succesful with the pass early in the game. Bowe is playing well, Tony G is the best, and every team we play will be fixated on LJ and the run because they know that's what's coming. It seems Herm Edwards and Mike Solari don't quite get the concept of keeping your opponent off-balance and it's something they both need to learn quickly or it will be a long season for the Chiefs and the crowd.

timsatt1
09-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I really do think we are showing some potential of coming together offensively. Although to do so would require us to find a new identity for our offense, especially earlier in games. The word for this enigmatic new persona is...(drum roll please)...passing. That's right, we need to sprinkle the pass into situations that seem less than ideal for it in order to try and catch the defense out of position. If we do this, it will open up the possibility for big plays. If we pass early, we still have the rest of the game to overcome any potential mistakes. If we score early, we can sit on a lead, pound LJ, and play conservative when it matters most-- the fourth quarter. Much like Herman Edwards wants to do with his gameplan.

However, Herm seems to have this backwards, somehow. Last week, I think almost any team in the league could have beat us. Not very many defenses in the NFL are so poor that they aren't going to stop your first x amount of possesions when they know exactly what you are doing. Run, run, and pass when it's forced on you. That is the offensive gameplan of the Chiefs right now and it's anemic.

Say you are Herm, and you are playing a pro defense that knows what you are doing and you keep doing it until they stop you enough times that they either put together a drive or get some special teams help for a score. Now, you have spotted them points. Now you are playing catch up. If enough clock runs or more points are scored, eventually you will have to pass. You may find enough success late in games to catch up and score. Though with how the Chiefs' offense has performed so far this season, it's safe to say that this situation is less than ideal.

However, if we just sprinkle in some passing and a few trick plays early, while the score is still tied, we may catch the defense on their heels. Especially since EVERYBODY KNOWS the Chiefs are going to run. If we hit a home run and score early, we won't have try and score all our points down the stretch while playing from behind. Also, if we pass early, we can stretch the field and keep the defense honest. Which will help the running game later when you really want to eat clock and play conservative if you have a lead.

I think it would certainly be possible for the Chiefs to be succesful with the pass early in the game. Bowe is playing well, Tony G is the best, and every team we play will be fixated on LJ and the run because they know that's what's coming. It seems Herm Edwards and Mike Solari don't quite get the concept of keeping your opponent off-balance and it's something they both need to learn quickly or it will be a long season for the Chiefs and the crowd.

i am reading this wondering if you dont realize that EVERYONE KNOWS THIS except for the coach who was hired on because of the color of his skin. Cheers to our liberal society.

rbedgood
09-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow...M0eF0e...you okay? Very nice post...rep added.

Chiefster
09-17-2007, 11:48 PM

I'll not be holding my breath anytime soon.

Canada
09-17-2007, 11:50 PM
i am reading this wondering if you dont realize that EVERYONE KNOWS THIS except for the coach who was hired on because of the color of his skin. Cheers to our liberal society.

I thought you said before that u werent racist??

Chiefster
09-17-2007, 11:53 PM
I thought you said before that u werent racist??

No; I think he said he was racist. But I could be mistaken.

m0ef0e
09-18-2007, 12:09 AM

You would be surprised at how many people would say "well we need to establish the run" in defense of the coaching staff and play-calling for this team right now. While it is important fundamentally to do so, it is also just as important to exploit the enemy's weakness. Since EVERYONE KNOWS that we are going to run, that gives us something to take advantage of. We can't go overboard, by any means, with the passing or soon that will be lost. I guess the key word is balance. The run is important but the pass and how it is used is equally important. To not even ATTEMPT to strike first is inexcuseable to the point that it needs to be evaluated if this organization actually cares about winning or is just ripping off the fans.

rbedgood
09-18-2007, 12:11 AM
He did, and what his opinions of gender, race, etc. have to do with liberal society I dont' know.

TimSAT=:sarek:

Three7s
09-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Well said, that's what has always gotten me frustrated about how our offense starts out. Run, run, pass every single drive. How many times does he have to try it and fail before he gets it? It took us falling behind 17-0 to the Bears for him to open up the play book and show off the offense a little, and guess what? 4 PLAY DRIVE TO THE END ZONE! They looked fantastic on that drive, and it's what I've been dying for all along. Why is it so hard for Herm to do that just a tad bit more often? I mean, if it worked on the BEARS, you think it could work against almost anyone provided good execution, right? Come on Herm! Stop babying the offense, take off the training wheels, and let them go at it.

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
You would be surprised at how many people would say "well we need to establish the run" in defense of the coaching staff and play-calling for this team right now. While it is important fundamentally to do so, it is also just as important to exploit the enemy's weakness. Since EVERYONE KNOWS that we are going to run, that gives us something to take advantage of. We can't go overboard, by any means, with the passing or soon that will be lost. I guess the key word is balance. The run is important but the pass and how it is used is equally important. To not even ATTEMPT to strike first is inexcuseable to the point that it needs to be evaluated if this organization actually cares about winning or is just ripping off the fans.

Agreed!

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 08:43 AM
He did, and what his opinions of gender, race, etc. have to do with liberal society I dont' know.

TimSAT=:sarek:

Yep!!!

wolfpack
09-18-2007, 09:15 AM
what i always like about saunders and d-cord always said is, you never knew what they are going to run. if they passed to who. they shifted alot trying to get the mismatch. lapdog solari under the guadance of hermmie is plain. my grandma knows what they are going to do and she died 15 years ago. try something different hermmie.

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 09:54 AM
what i always like about saunders and d-cord always said is, you never knew what they are going to run. if they passed to who. they shifted alot trying to get the mismatch. lapdog solari under the guadance of hermmie is plain. my grandma knows what they are going to do and she died 15 years ago. try something different hermmie.

More importantly, every team in the NFL knows what we're going to do and when we're going to do it.

chief31
09-18-2007, 09:55 AM

True, but with Roaf and Shields pulling on the sweep, it didn't matter if the opponent knew it was coming.

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 10:01 AM
True, but with Roaf and Shields pulling on the sweep, it didn't matter if the opponent knew it was coming.

Ain't that the truth.

wolfpack
09-18-2007, 10:06 AM
old man weigman looked good pulling sunday.

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Wished I could have seen more then the last quarter and a half.

DrunkHillbilly
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Problem.....we don't have this option this year! I just can't wait until the bashing on LJ comes. How many times in the last two games do you think there were more than 7 in the box? A BUNCH!!

wolfpack
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Wished I could have seen more then the last quarter and a half.
here in lost and nowhere kansas,which is deep in chief land,CBS decided to show us the bungals and brownie end. it wasnt untill about 3 min left in 1st before we got the chief game. one would think wichita`s kwch could have a little say in the matter. why would i want to watch the bungles instead of the chiefs, thanks CBS:mob:

m0ef0e
09-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Yes he did. I didn't see any other lineman of ours getting down the field the way he did. Unfortunately, because of the loss or our great pulling lineman, we no longer have the capability to force anything to happen on offense. We need to get a little tricky to create opportunities and take what we can get.

chief31
09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I am glad that this subject has been brought up. I have liked the fact that I have been seeing more pulling linemen this year, as opposed to last year. It was a staple of the Chiefs offense under Vermiel. It gives me some hope that Solari does remember some of what was going on, with that offense.

hermhater
09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
This is a little bit off topic but this site just seems to run with whatever gets put out there, so here goes.

This link (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/09/18/162424.php)
has the Chiefs ranked last overall in the NFL.

Guess what. She is a Broncos fan.

Surprise.