PDA

View Full Version : Our ground game is already getting props

#58ChiefsFan
09-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Looking on the Chargers site I ran accross this article.

Chiefs RBs a strength

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
Posted 22 hours ago

a (http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chiefs-RBs-a-strength/cfa9ce2d-034e-40bb-8c0a-87fd8e428539#)
a (http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chiefs-RBs-a-strength/cfa9ce2d-034e-40bb-8c0a-87fd8e428539#)
The Chargers defense feels it will play tougher against the run than it did last season. Kansas City’s blossoming ground game will provide an early indication of if that projection is true.

SAN DIEGO – Kansas City Head Coach Todd Haley couldn’t find much that worked last season.
The Chiefs weren’t a good football team, Haley said Wednesday, citing their 4-12 record. He toiled in an attempt to gain traction for Kansas City after he was hired before the ’09 season.
He may have found it. Along came Jamaal Charles, a 5-foot-11, 199-pound running back in his second NFL season. Charles rushed for 968 yards during the season’s final eight weeks. That’s 79 fewer than Tennessee’s Chris Johnson during that period, and Johnson set the NFL’s all-time record for yards from scrimmage.
“When you’re in fire like we were last year and making changes almost weekly … you’re looking for anything you can find a positive in,” Haley said. “Jamaal Charles came along as the year went on and obviously that was one of the strengths of our offense, if not the strength.
“I think that’s just human nature of survival. You try to look for whatever you can find that will work or at least give you some chance to play.”
Charles is not alone. Kansas City enters the season with two 1,000-yard rushers for the first time in franchise history having signed Thomas Jones this offseason. Jones rushed for 1,402 yards for the Jets last year.
Third running back Jackie Battle also placed fifth in the NFL with 180 rushing yards this preseason. Rookie Dexter McCluster is a receiver that also carried the football for Ole Miss and the Chiefs played him at a variety of positions during the preseason to utilize his speed. McCluster carried 17 times for 108 yards in four games.
“They are really running the football, and obviously they’re doing it with multiple backs,” Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said. “I don’t think any one game is a gauge of where you are, but it’s certainly our first test to go out and play against a team that runs the ball awfully well.”
The test he’s referring to is for a defensive front that’s vowed to be physical this season. San Diego kept eight defensive linemen on its 53-man roster in part to have more players specifically fit for stopping the run, which is what Stephen Cooperhttp://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/09/18.jpg (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/stephen-cooper/94fae26a-e8ad-4d78-9496-30bf4a462079/) calls the defense’s biggest improvement.
“Our D-line’s playing really great right now. They’re healthy and that’s the biggest thing,” Cooper said. “If those guys can get off blocks and get upfield we’ll have a great year with our rush defense.”
The Chiefs were second in the NFL with 148.8 rushing yards per game during the preseason. They also averaged 4.6 yards per carry, although their backs go about it in different ways.
“Thomas Jones is definitely a downhill runner. A really stout, really physical, blue-collar kind of guy,” Cooper said. “Charles is a bounce guy. He wants to get outside and make a big play, so we’ve got to make sure we keep him contained, hit him as much as possible and make him feel it every time he touches the ball.
“You definitely have to key on (McCluster) just because he’s so fast. We want to make sure we have a guy in his face, make sure we keep him contained and don’t let him outside. As long as we keep him bottled up and hit him as much as possible, I think we’ll be alright.”
PRACTICE SQUAD CHANGE: The Chargers re-signed cornerback Traye Simmons to the practice squad Thursday and released tight end Dedrick Eppshttp://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/09/18.jpg (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/dedrick-epps/a42c9605-7859-4ba5-9f6b-b00fdc592ca3/).
Previously limited to quarterbacks, red jerseys have multiplied at practice this week as players simulate opponents.
That’s the major role of practice squad members during the week, Turner said when asked if speedy receiver Richard Goodmanhttp://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/09/18.jpg (http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/richard-goodman/570b558b-b256-417f-be18-9bfa479e4c67/) has been wearing McCluster’s No. 22.
“Our practice squad guys are talented guys. One of the things we sell, you have to give a great look,” Turner said. “I think Goodman gives a good look. We’ve got a number of guys that have played in those spots to try to give the look of the team we’re getting ready to play and our guys understand how important it is so they do a good job.”
PRACTICE WEATHER: Partly cloudy, 69 degrees

honda522
09-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Seems suspicious that you reading from the Chargers website.

stricken721
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM

How's that suspicious?

#58ChiefsFan
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Your really not going to like that I have a habit of going to the opposing teams website each week then.

stricken721
09-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Your really not going to like that I have a habit of going to the opposing teams website each week then.

I do the same thing. It's spying on the enemy.

tornadospotter
09-10-2010, 09:53 PM
It is called scouting.:yahoo:

AkChief49
09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
How about the old Italian adage- "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer"

Three7s
09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Really? God forbid me signing up on a Chargers forum to see what they think about their own team and ours. It's not like we've never had a visitor from another team around here. Get a grip...

chief31
09-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Really? God forbid me signing up on a Chargers forum to see what they think about their own team and ours. It's not like we've never had a visitor from another team around here. Get a grip...

It has taken hree years to expose Three 7s as the spy that he clearly is!!!!!!:lol:

Three7s
09-11-2010, 02:37 AM
It has taken hree years to expose Three 7s as the spy that he clearly is!!!!!!:lol:
Oh, I'm sorry, just got a call from Mr. Pioli. Seems he wants me to infiltrate the Chargers plane to KC with some type of recording device and a hidden cam. And after already getting info from their own fans. Seems like it's gonna be a long weekend for me! :D

DMN
09-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, just got a call from Mr. Pioli. Seems he wants me to infiltrate the Chargers plane to KC with some type of recording device and a hidden cam. And after already getting info from their own fans. Seems like it's gonna be a long weekend for me! :D

Bring a gun... it could get very sticky!!

honda522
09-11-2010, 11:07 AM
How's that suspicious?
It was a joke.

Go Chiefs

stricken721
09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
It was a joke.

Go Chiefs

:bananen_smilies046:

buffman316
09-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Looking at the opposing teams blogs and forums is not only fun, but it gives you insight on what the buzz is around that team's fans think the plan should be. Some of the best Kansas City radio I have heard was when Jason Whitlock would call the Raider's radio station and talk smack before that week's game. Good for you Stricken, doing the great fan research builds excitement for the big game!

Pro_Angler
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
To me it seems like they are already making excuses as to why we got 200+ rushing yards on them :)

Chiefster
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love this thread!

kcvet
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
ive been over there snooping around to