PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought the defense would be most improved?

Ryfo18
09-14-2010, 01:30 AM
The defense was outstanding tonight. Derrick Johnson played his best game as a Chief and the D-Line played their asses off. I'm impressed...And here I thought that the Chiefs offense would be the strength this year. After watching the preseason and this game, this defense isn't messing around.

That said, Matt Cassel has to be better. He looked brutal tonight. And Jamaal has to get more than 11 touches. Nice first win, let's keep it going in Cleveland next weekend!

N TX Dave
09-14-2010, 01:33 AM
The rookies were the difference tonight. They really were the difference tonight also the D coaching was good did you see the last play they had 3 guys on Gates and jammed him on the line all night and not back off 8 yards off the line and leave the 5 yards quick pass open all night?

hardcorechiefsfan
09-14-2010, 01:39 AM
:chiefs: :chiefs: :punk: :chiefs: :chiefs:

bigpoppachief
09-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Yeah our D was solid but Berry has got to grow up really quick because the big play was his fault He will learn though and he did have some good plays as well Hey look at the bright side we dont have to worry about kick or punt returners lol

hardcorechiefsfan
09-14-2010, 01:43 AM
I hope we don't have anymore monday night football games. I don't like missing games.

Xanathol
09-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Question... was Dorsey ever not double teamed? I watched him each play and holy hell he got a lot of attention!

Things are changing and the change is looking good!

josh1971
09-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Dorsey was pretty impressive tonight, as were a number of the D.

Ryla02
09-14-2010, 01:52 AM
:bananen_smilies046:

hardcorechiefsfan
09-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Who do we play next?

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Berry had moments were you could tell that he is a rookie but he also had moments that showed why he was drafted 5th overall.

Overall This Defense looked like a real NFL Defense in a REAL football game in PRIME time against one of the best offenses in the NFL. That is a great sign can't wait to see them against the browns.

SIC J
09-14-2010, 01:57 AM
The secondary still needs work. They were letting them get WIDE OPEN way too much.

And they still need work on their blitz game!

hardcorechiefsfan
09-14-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm feeling real good about this season, starting off with a WIN.

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 02:01 AM
The secondary still needs work. They were letting them get WIDE OPEN way too much.

And they still need work on their blitz game!

The secoundary is very young and they will get better with experaince. They can not make the mistake that they did leaveing the chargers players WIDE OPEN and let them get that long touchdown. I think they will get better as the year goes on.

Ryfo18
09-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Just hope we don't lose to the browns next week. That's a game that needs to be won. Hopefully Jerome Harrison doesn't break his own Browns' rushing record.

bigpoppachief
09-14-2010, 02:03 AM
I wish I could find the threads I wrote about Dorsey lol he was a beast tonight anyone got his official stats ?

Fastphilly
09-14-2010, 02:17 AM
What impressed me was the good tackling. That has been a fundamental that's lacked on past teams. Flowers made some good stops tonight.

josh1971
09-14-2010, 02:25 AM
What impressed me was the good tackling. That has been a fundamental that's lacked on past teams. Flowers made some good stops tonight.

Good tackling if you don't count that last drive. We were bouncing off Chargers left and right.

hardcorechiefsfan
09-14-2010, 02:30 AM
I remember back when the Chiefs had such a fierce defense line - surely some of you remember. If they can keep it up as well as work with their O-line, then there is a God looking out for them.

I'm tired of the national sportscasters already marking them as losers. Tonight they were winners.

Fastphilly
09-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Good tackling if you don't count that last drive. We were bouncing off Chargers left and right.

You mean that 250lbs plus fullback? You'll find most defenses having problems bringing down that load.

Fastphilly
09-14-2010, 02:41 AM
I remember back when the Chiefs had such a fierce defense line - surely some of you remember. If they can keep it up as well as work with their O-line, then there is a God looking out for them.

I'm tired of the national sportscasters already marking them as losers. Tonight they were winners.

Small market teams never get the attention from national media. When the Chiefs are in the division race late in the season then you'll get the bandwagon analysts.

josh1971
09-14-2010, 02:54 AM
You mean that 250lbs plus fullback? You'll find most defenses having problems bringing down that load.

There was one other play, a pass play, where our guys just seemed to fall off the Charger player left and right.

Three7s
09-14-2010, 03:22 AM
There was one other play, a pass play, where our guys just seemed to fall off the Charger player left and right.
My guess would be the screen pass to Gates.

garciakcfan
09-14-2010, 04:28 AM
If I wasn't working where I am for the summer I would've been there. I could feel the energy in the stadium from the couch. Its been a long time since I've felt this good about my team. Lets just marinate in this for a few days.....

AkChief49
09-14-2010, 07:31 AM
If I wasn't working where I am for the summer I would've been there. I could feel the energy in the stadium from the couch. Its been a long time since I've felt this good about my team. Lets just marinate in this for a few days.....
Yep a season opener win at Arrowhead, and for at least this week, division leaders!!!

rodu
09-14-2010, 08:11 AM
I saw Shaun Smith getting double teamed a lot too. I'd like to see more Studebaker subbing in for Vrabel on passing downs

kcvet
09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
the D is improved. but in the 4th Q i think they were gettin gassed. to many 3 and outs by our O. sound like a broken record???

I expected very little coverage by the god almighty ESPN. and i got it. just the highlights and move on

BTY don't tell anyone but i think we have our ST fixed !!!

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 10:56 AM
The defense was outstanding tonight. Derrick Johnson played his best game as a Chief and the D-Line played their asses off. I'm impressed...And here I thought that the Chiefs offense would be the strength this year. After watching the preseason and this game, this defense isn't messing around.

That said, Matt Cassel has to be better. He looked brutal tonight. And Jamaal has to get more than 11 touches. Nice first win, let's keep it going in Cleveland next weekend!

Yes sir!

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
the D is improved. but in the 4th Q i think they were gettin gassed. to many 3 and outs by our O. sound like a broken record???

I expected very little coverage by the god almighty ESPN. and i got it. just the highlights and move on

BTY don't tell anyone but i think we have our ST fixed !!!

That's because the offense was giving them little to no help

WhoRtheChefs
09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Also, it needs to be mentioned in this defensive thread.

We ended the game with a huge goal line stand!! It was 1st and goal from the 5 with almost 2 minutes left in the game, and the "elite" Chargers offense couldn't do a thing!!!:yahoo:

wildcat
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM

That makes the fact they we were able to hang on, and especially the goal line stand, that much more impressive.

This D can be so good if we can keep them off the field long enough to catch their breath every once and a while.

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Also, it needs to be mentioned in this defensive thread.

We ended the game with a huge goal line stand!! It was 1st and goal from the 5 with almost 2 minutes left in the game, and the "elite" Chargers offense couldn't do a thing!!!:yahoo:

That's a very good thing. The D blew a preseason game with the backups in there at the end. The starters proved that they can come up with the big stop at the end.

whatwasthat?
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
flowers was great as usual...but i was really excited about carr...he played extremely well

AkChief49
09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
flowers was great as usual...but i was really excited about carr...he played extremely well
We won and that is what counts. but Javi and Carr could have ended the game sooner had they held on to those "almost" interceptions. The blown coverage resulting in the gimme TD is bothersome. But like someone else in this thread said, they(secondary) will get better!!

Hayvern
09-15-2010, 02:26 AM
We won and that is what counts. but Javi and Carr could have ended the game sooner had they held on to those "almost" interceptions. The blown coverage resulting in the gimme TD is bothersome. But like someone else in this thread said, they(secondary) will get better!!

That blown coverage was out of respect for Antonio Gates, that is the kind of thing a player like that brings to the table. I am not defending it, but I can see how that could happen.

Fastphilly
09-15-2010, 02:39 AM
That blown coverage was out of respect for Antonio Gates, that is the kind of thing a player like that brings to the table. I am not defending it, but I can see how that could happen.

Not to mention it was Berry's assignment..His first game in the pros and makes a mistake by making sure Gates does'nt beat us is exusable. I think he will learn that at any cost DO NOT let anyone past you.

Pro_Angler
09-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Berrry learned a great deal from that one play. I'm glad it happened to him, he is the type of guy that learns from his mistakes unlike our QB, that just doesnt seem to get any smarter.