PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

chiefnut
09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
THE GOOD;
the defense was stout against the run, had good pressure early on passing downs..will continue to get better as the season goes on.

THE BAD:
Matt Cassell, poor throws, poor decisions, must elevate his game if we hope to contend.

THE UGLY:
the offensive play calling, and that's what it was "OFFENSIVE", especially after we built the 21-7 lead. why didn't we throw on first downs, why did we constantly have 3rd & long, why didn't we let Cassell earn his pay and throw downfield. we just went into a shell and prayed rivers imploded, which he did, mainly cause he was so pissssssssd at his center for not snapping in time. but a win is a win and it is GRRRREAT!!!:chiefs:

C

yashi
09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I agree. I was getting really frustrated in the 2nd half. It almost felt like Weis wanted to let them back in the game with the plays he was calling. Maybe he couldn't see the field up there in the box. I'm so glad we hung on, because it felt for sure that SD was going to come back.

Also, not enough Jamaal Charles!!!

kcvet
09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
back to 3 and out. will it ever change???

N TX Dave
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
back to 3 and out. will it ever change???

Not until the recievers can hold on to the ball when it hits them in the hands and the line can give Matt more than 2 seconds to get ride of the ball we will see many 3 and out.

:efpge:

kcvet
09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Not until the recievers can hold on to the ball when it hits them in the hands and the line can give Matt more than 2 seconds to get ride of the ball we will see many 3 and out.

:efpge:

looks like Bowe is another drop and smile.

chiefnut
09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
i won't beat on bowe yet, his drops were not easy catches on a dry day, add the rain in...i'll giv him a wait and see pass

kcvet
09-14-2010, 10:29 AM
i won't beat on bowe yet, his drops were not easy catches on a dry day, add the rain in...i'll giv him a wait and see pass

good receivers make tuff catch's. this is prime time. I thought he had this problem solved. we'll see

N TX Dave
09-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Thats fine but people are ragging on Matt for being a bad QB but if he puts it in the hands of his receivers that is all he can do so until Bowe and company start catching the balls that hit their hands I will put blame on them as much or more than Cassel.

:punk:

OTR Chiefs fan
09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
THE GOOD;
the defense was stout against the run, had good pressure early on passing downs..will continue to get better as the season goes on.

THE BAD:
Matt Cassell, poor throws, poor decisions, must elevate his game if we hope to contend.

THE UGLY:
the offensive play calling, and that's what it was "OFFENSIVE", especially after we built the 21-7 lead. why didn't we throw on first downs, why did we constantly have 3rd & long, why didn't we let Cassell earn his pay and throw downfield. we just went into a shell and prayed rivers imploded, which he did, mainly cause he was so pissssssssd at his center for not snapping in time. but a win is a win and it is GRRRREAT!!!:chiefs:

C

I also thought the D did a good job on the run and the secondary for the most part did a good job. Yeah, they let a couple of big plays happen which I think they'll correct. The thing that concerns me is the "D" line still. It was good to see some pressure applied to Rivers, but I feel it wasn't enough. There were too many times when Rivers had all day to throw the ball. And if the weather had been better it have been disasterous. I think Cassell needs to step up his game as well or defenses will stack the box against Charles and Jones and especially Bowe. He had two passes that he should of caught, that's why you get paid the big bucks! I also agree that the play calling in the second half was terrible, very predictable. I'm happy for the win, but those are the areas I see that we need to improve on. :chiefs:

OPLookn
09-14-2010, 11:20 AM
I also thought the D did a good job on the run and the secondary for the most part did a good job. Yeah, they let a couple of big plays happen which I think they'll correct. The thing that concerns me is the "D" line still. It was good to see some pressure applied to Rivers, but I feel it wasn't enough. There were too many times when Rivers had all day to throw the ball. And if the weather had been better it have been disasterous. I think Cassell needs to step up his game as well or defenses will stack the box against Charles and Jones and especially Bowe. He had two passes that he should of caught, that's why you get paid the big bucks! I also agree that the play calling in the second half was terrible, very predictable. I'm happy for the win, but those are the areas I see that we need to improve on. :chiefs:

Can we hold off on bagging on Bowe until he drops a pass that was right in his bread basket and not being up ended and then hit while being up ended? Seriously...the guy dropped two passes. One Cassell threw into triple coverage as Bowe got up ended and then hit. The other was GROSSLY behind him and glanced off his shoulder in rain...

Let's just celebrate a win!!

azchiefsfan
09-14-2010, 11:20 AM
I think the game gave the defense a big boost last night. They went up against the third best offense from last year and shut them down. That hasn't happened since our beloved DT was here. Was there some holes in the secondary? Yes, but this is San Diego and Rivers who will expose any holes in a defense. Rivers is usually one of the best protected QB's and last night he was pressured alot and he turned into a whiny b*tch. The play calling was Schottenheimer-esque. "We got the lead, let the defense win the game". Very frustrating.

josh1971
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Definitely would have been happy with a 42-14 win. We need to find ways other than WR screens to get McCluster involved, and USE JAMAAL!!! Holy cow- 11 carries?

Sure he averages huge chunks, but shouldn't that tell the coaching staff something? 2nd and 2 is better than 2nd and 8, and in the end, if he's not getting the ball more, I think it's just going to make Jamaal feel like Marcus Allen when he was with the raiders- "Oh, you're good, but see... we've got this other guy we want to try"

Defensively, I'm liking it, and it would seem Dorsey is starting to hit his stride. DJ played a great game, but our secondary needs to come together better. They did a great job adjusting to Gates.

Return game... yay.

JB

Seek
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Rag on cassel all you want for bad decisions butbno one was really open. Play calling was conservative because we had a lead

WhoRtheChefs
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Also worth mentioning that we only had 3 penalties. As young as our team is, that is a very good thing.

Seek
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Also worth mentioning that we only had 3 penalties. As young as our team is, that is a very good thing.

Refs didn't call many penalties. They let them play and let many penalties go for both teams.

N TX Dave
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Refs didn't call many penalties. They let them play and let many penalties go for both teams.
I was thinking the same thing the Chargers only had 5 penalties and two of those were delay of game, so 8 penalties for 65 yards.

Coach
09-14-2010, 02:45 PM
The good: arrowhead stadium
The bad: passing game
The ugly: my hangover and sore throat.

Great to see everyone!

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM

That is very true. We got a lucky a few plays that there were no flags. But the fact that we didn't get alot of flags with a YOUNG defensive backfield is a great sign.

ConnieMack
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
:drunkhb:
THE GOOD;

THE BAD:

THE UGLY:

C

I Loved the defense, for the most part. Especially loved Rivers acting like a petulant child.

Am Very disappointed in the 3 and outs - you can at Least go to a modified WCO and try to make three here, four there.... I understand it was wet, but we've still got to design some down the field throws - especially to the outside - at least until Cassell gets more comfortable; makes better decisions.

OTOH, his Line must protect him More.

Seek
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
D. Johnson has a huge game. He was all over the place and had 12 tackles.

I am wondering if Chambers is losing his step. He couldn't get open and when he did, he was in slow motion and the separation he made was quickly covered.

It was clear that Charles moved the chains better than Jones.

I am kinda of wanting to see Studebacker more than Vrabel.

I am not sure who missed the assignment on the blow TD, but Lewis was involved in more big stops than Lynch.

wildcat
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I see a lot of people complaining about the play calling. I actually thought the play calling was brilliant, because I believe that Weis is looking beyond that one game.

Cassel had no time to throw, and our receivers were not making the spectacular plays we needed them to. What good was it going to do to let Matt Cassel get pressured all day resulting in us turning the ball over? Instead, Weis showed such a strong commitment to the run that the teams we play from here on out are going to have to focus on stopping our run game. With play makers like Charles and McCluster, and a solid runner like Jones, what choice do opposing defenses have but to focus on stopping the run? Even when they know a run is coming, it's tough to stop us.

The end result is going to be less pressure on the QB and more receivers open down the field. Just watch and see. Next week we will still be a run first team, but we will be more balanced and much more effective.

jason1981
09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
the only thing i hated about the play calling was it seemed like the same dame draw play every time to charles with cassel in the shotgun. they knew it was coming everytime. he lucky he didnt fumble the ball cuz he basically got hit the same time he got the ball in his hands. i wouldnt have blamed charles one bit if he fumbled there. i give him credit for holding on to it. our 3rd plays stunk all night. the rain is what gave us the win cuz it hampered the chargers offense and limited their play calling. it seemed like tjhe second half rivers got barely any pressure on him. the defense came up big for us. the first game i was able to watch on tv in like 4 years and they win.

rodu
09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
That is very true. We got a lucky a few plays that there were no flags. But the fact that we didn't get alot of flags with a YOUNG defensive backfield is a great sign.

true but San Diego got away with a holding call that the replay gave us a nice close up of.

Pro_Angler
09-14-2010, 06:08 PM
bowe had a pass thrown to him way in front on the ground, one way way too high and one was high and behind him.. thats 3 that I can think of to bowe that you call drops that were clearly cassels fault, even the pass to chamber twice was cassells vfault thats 5 now that I can think of/.. Oh yea the 2 BS screen passes that didnt even get to the rb on the sideline.. thats 7 cassell fault!

Pro_Angler
09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
true but San Diego got away with a holding call that the replay gave us a nice close up of.

The refs tried almost everything to keep the game close and get SD the win. That last drive I seen 6 holds that were never called 2 on one plat inside the 10.

hometeam
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Phillip Rivers also got away with kicking the ball in disgust after one of the delay of games.

the refs did pick up several flags thrown against the chiefs. As well as overturning the punt that landed one the one and was spoted was overturned into a touchback~

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Phillip Rivers also got away with kicking the ball in disgust after one of the delay of games.

the refs did pick up several flags thrown against the chiefs. As well as overturning the punt that landed one the one and was spoted was overturned into a touchback~

We also got away with a late hit on rivers on that last 4th down play. Dorsey hit him late. I saw that on the replays. I think the refs called a fair game. They didn't call things they could have on both sides.

Pro_Angler
09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
i was just scouring the chargers forum for the chiefs game. One of them say's:
"Win or lose the Chiefs have my respect! "

azchiefsfan
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Next week will be the true test and reveal the way we'll look the rest of the season. There won't be any of the "it was raining" or "we had a big lead" excuses. We have a young team and a QB coming off an injury plagued season. We have to have an aggressive game plan or our guys will be back to the mindset "how much do we lose by this week". I think that is what we are all concerned about, especially when we know how good these guys can play when they are allowed to.

chief31
09-14-2010, 09:32 PM

I was particularly disapointed with is effort on the one-on-one sideline play against the lone CB.

We really need him to be the guy who goes and gets those kind of passes.

If he gets that kind of single coverage, he needs to make it hurt the defense.

But, it was just a single play. Hope he gets it in his head that he needs to be aggressive in that situation.

OTR Chiefs fan
09-14-2010, 10:22 PM
I was particularly disapointed with is effort on the one-on-one sideline play against the lone CB.

We really need him to be the guy who goes and gets those kind of passes.

If he gets that kind of single coverage, he needs to make it hurt the defense.

But, it was just a single play. Hope he gets it in his head that he needs to be aggressive in that situation.

I totally agree with that. He's got the size and the body to be a threat in that type of situation. That's why I was kind of down on him about the two passes he didn't catch. They weren't perfect balls, but ones I felt he should of caught. If you caught the Ravens/Jets game, Boldin was catching everything. And Bowe and Boldin are very similar type of receivers. :chiefs:

Hayvern
09-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Can we hold off on bagging on Bowe until he drops a pass that was right in his bread basket and not being up ended and then hit while being up ended? Seriously...the guy dropped two passes. One Cassell threw into triple coverage as Bowe got up ended and then hit. The other was GROSSLY behind him and glanced off his shoulder in rain...

Let's just celebrate a win!!

I will hold off on bagging on Bowe if you hold off on bagging on Cassel? Deal?

billb40
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
WE had a lead and the weather dictated a conservative approach. Cool it folks one game and a win. Be thankful for that get off the negatives.