PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know Herm was still calling plays

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Run the ball twice have a third and long then try to throw rinse and repeat. On a positive note Jamaal Charles once again is a beast despite getting no love from his HC, Mcluster love that guy he is good at everything, and how the hell did we get one of the best return games in the league we were horrible a year ago our defense looked very good except for Berry getting beat like a toilet seat all last night. Cassel what can I say that I haven't. Cassel should be ashamed to take an interview after the awful game he played he should have said they won the game and pointed to Jamaal, Mccluster, Carr for his interception, and the defense.:chiefs:

OTR Chiefs fan
09-14-2010, 11:07 AM
[quote=figcrostic;200374]Run the ball twice have a third and long then try to throw rinse and repeat.

:lol: I couldn't agree more. The play calling was very predictable in the second half. :chiefs:

azchiefsfan
09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Cassell has happy feet thanks to a year of running for his life. And that o line got better and he actually had protection after the mid-third round on and he just couldn't throw accurately. I was very surprised at how the O line performed the last 1/3 of the game. Berry got worked in the open field. There is no excuse. But he did step it up in the red zone. He was a blanket in the red zone.

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Cassell has happy feet thanks to a year of running for his life. And that o line got better and he actually had protection after the mid-third round on and he just couldn't throw accurately. I was very surprised at how the O line performed the last 1/3 of the game. Berry got worked in the open field. There is no excuse. But he did step it up in the red zone. He was a blanket in the red zone.

It was nice when he picked up the first down but other then that and the TD pass to Moeaki (probably spelled that wrong) he didn't do much. I know it was raining last night but how is Cassel supposed to get better if they only let him throw when they know we are going to throw. Cassel sucked last night but I can't put it all on him.

azchiefsfan
09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
This^^^^

josh1971
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
It was nice when he picked up the first down but other then that and the TD pass to Moeaki (probably spelled that wrong) he didn't do much. I know it was raining last night but how is Cassel supposed to get better if they only let him throw when they know we are going to throw. Cassel sucked last night but I can't put it all on him.

Not entirely true that they are only letting him throw when it's expected. He wasn't on target, but he did start the game with a long shot down the field to Bowe.

I think the comments about the O-line are right, and that he's still jittery. But, that said- he just plain hangs onto the ball too long.

But this Thomas Jones-Thomas Jones- Incomplete Pass- Punt game plan does need some revamping.

JB

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Not entirely true that they are only letting him throw when it's expected. He wasn't on target, but he did start the game with a long shot down the field to Bowe.

I think the comments about the O-line are right, and that he's still jittery. But, that said- he just plain hangs onto the ball too long.

But this Thomas Jones-Thomas Jones- Incomplete Pass- Punt game plan does need some revamping.

JB

I'm not saying he didn't play like crap, but he wasn't helped by the play calling.

Three7s
09-14-2010, 11:36 AM
It's really hard to judge the passing game on a rainy night like that. Usually, during rain you run the ball and stop them with your defense. That's what we did. We can throw it around against the Browns.

rodu
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Rivers didn't have that great a game last night either, take away that long TD and the last drive, his numbers were off

josh1971
09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Rivers didn't have that great a game last night either, take away that long TD and the last drive, his numbers were off

Not that great of a game? He had 298 yards and 2 touchdowns with no picks.

And he *did* make the long TD and guide his team down the field on the last drive.

He's a crybaby douche, but I do have to give him credit, he had good numbers. I hope he has good numbers when we go to San Diego later on- with the same result. :D

Big stats only mean ****e in fantasy football. We still have the "W"

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 11:51 AM

And he *did* make the long TD and guide his team down the field on the last drive.

He's a crybaby douche, but I do have to give him credit, he had good numbers. I hope he has good numbers when we go to San Diego later on- with the same result. :D

Rivers is a dangerous qb no doubt. Since you brought up fantasy numbers I would like to give a big thanks to Jamaal Charles for saving me this week I pulled out a W just barely by .25 points it doesn't get closer then that. I had Bowe and Randy Moss and both had much lower numbers then expected.

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I think that the rain changed our playcalling. Matt was not able to do much in it so we stuck to the run sometimes to much. The chargers had trouble playing in the rain as well but Rivers adjusted to it and they were behind they had to throw the ball. I hope to see more open playcalling against the browns next week.

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I think that the rain changed our playcalling. Matt was not able to do much in it so we stuck to the run sometimes to much. The chargers had trouble playing in the rain as well but Rivers adjusted to it and they were behind they had to throw the ball. I hope to see more open playcalling against the browns next week.

I hope they mix it up a lot more we have some studs on offense now. Bowe needs to get in the mix more as well.

brdempsey69
09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I hope the Offensive Tackles continue to play well. There was too much pressure up the middle early on, before the rain, with Cassel getting hit repeatedly by defenders coming up the middle. Albert & Richardson played well at Tackle. Better play calling is needed next week.

brish
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think Cassel was throwing the ball as bad as some of you say he was, especially considering the circumstances.
I think he is more accurate, and throws a harder ball..
What worries me is his vision.. He overlooked some receivers where he could have gotten more yards.
That needs to be fixed, this is so important when you are only given as few passes as he was.

The playcalling was definately way too vanilla.. Our o-line cant hold up to the pass rush when everyone in the whole stadium knows it's going to be a pass on those long 3rd downs.
Run, Run, Pass just doesn't cut it!

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't think Cassel was throwing the ball as bad as some of you say he was, especially considering the circumstances.
I think he is more accurate, and throws a harder ball..
What worries me is his vision.. He overlooked some receivers where he could have gotten more yards.
That needs to be fixed, this is so important when you are only given as few passes as he was.

The playcalling was definately way too vanilla.. Our o-line cant hold up to the pass rush when everyone in the whole stadium knows it's going to be a pass on those long 3rd downs.
Run, Run, Pass just doesn't cut it!

I would not read to much into the playcalling form that game. We got a two score lead in a down pour. And the D was playing pretty damn well I think we just tried to make it through without turning the ball over. But we HAVE TO HAVE TO get more 1st downs we can NOT leave the D on the field that long and expect to win football games.

And I agree about Cassel I don't think that he looked as bad as some are saying but he also did not look good. Hopeing that he gets better as the season goes on.

Drunker Hillbilly
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Tough to find any groove at all when your throwing on 3rd down only.....

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Tough to find any groove at all when your throwing on 3rd down only.....

Agree the play calling was horrible why not try throwing on first down get a 4 or 5 yard completion and then run. Switch it up a little.

SIC J
09-14-2010, 05:24 PM

You're comparing Rivers, who's receivers were WIDE OPEN most of the game, compared to Cassel who's receivers were blanketed most of the game. Give it a rest! Not to mention there were some dropped passes AGAIN! 2 by Bowe that I remember.

I too hated the play calling especially in the 2nd half when they went conservative with the run, run, pass game. You guys expect Cassel to hand the ball off 90% of the game and then all if a sudden make these great passes in the rain all of a sudden on 3rd and long. haha!

Thats keep it real. This type of play calling happens ALL the time EVERY year by almost EVERY team. They're winning the game, start play conservative by constantly running the ball to run the clock down, and many times lose the game cuz when the other team makes a comeback, they are already cold and out of their groove.

Rivers got a chance to warm up and get in a groove by being giving the the opportunity to pass the ball cuz THEY HAD TOO. They were losing the game.

matthewschiefs
09-14-2010, 05:30 PM
You're comparing Rivers, who's receivers were WIDE OPEN most of the game, compared to Cassel who's receivers were blanketed most of the game. Give it a rest! Not to mention there were some dropped passes AGAIN! 2 by Bowe that I remember.

I too hated the play calling especially in the 2nd half when they went conservative with the run, run, pass game. You guys expect Cassel to hand the ball off 90% of the game and then all if a sudden make these great passes in the rain all of a sudden on 3rd and long. haha!

Thats keep it real. This type of play calling happens ALL the time EVERY year by almost EVERY team. They're winning the game, start play conservative by constantly running the ball to run the clock down, and many times lose the game cuz when the other team makes a comeback, they are already cold and out of their groove.

Rivers got a chance to warm up and get in a groove by being giving the the opportunity to pass the ball cuz THEY HAD TOO. They were losing the game.

I hate when teams do that as well 99% of the time. I think in this case it was not a bad choice to do that. The way the rain was comeing down. MAKE them beat you don't even risk makeing a HUGE mistake. But If we get a lead against the Browns next week and thats what we do in normal weather then I will get upset. In this case I will give them the benfit of the doubt.

Your point about the droped passes is right on. Bowe could have made a couple and Chambers had one that I thought was a drop. It was NOT all Cassel. The offense as a whole has to play better. Cassel has to make better throws if he made a little bit better throws that were droped they might have been caught but the WRS on this team HAVE to catch the ball we can NOT lead the NFL in drops again.

figcrostic
09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I hate when teams do that as well 99% of the time. I think in this case it was not a bad choice to do that. The way the rain was comeing down. MAKE them beat you don't even risk makeing a HUGE mistake. But If we get a lead against the Browns next week and thats what we do in normal weather then I will get upset. In this case I will give them the benfit of the doubt.

Your point about the droped passes is right on. Bowe could have made a couple and Chambers had one that I thought was a drop. It was NOT all Cassel. The offense as a whole has to play better. Cassel has to make better throws if he made a little bit better throws that were droped they might have been caught but the WRS on this team HAVE to catch the ball we can NOT lead the NFL in drops again.

I agree it was not all Cassel but the two that Bowe did not catch were very difficult catches one of the passes bowe literally had to jump in the air turn his body 180 degrees and reach his hands as high as he could and he barely got his fingertips on it. I don't think even Jerry Rice would have caught that one.

captainamerica
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here is the possibility that the play calling might of had something to do with the coaching staffs lack of faith in Matt Cassel. I know that a lot of people on here love him and want him to do well, but so far he has yet to accomplish much of anything in his career, aside from 1 great season on an extremely talented team.

I know the rain and the lead factored into the playcalling, but constantly running the ball on 3rd down to me says (rightly or wrongly) that the coaching staff doesn't have a ton of faith in Matt's ability to get the team the 1st down.

Chiefster
09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I remember Trent Green his first couple of season earning him the nick name "TrINT" Green. I'm still withholding judgment on Cassel.

Three7s
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
I remember Trent Green his first couple of season earning him the nick name "TrINT" Green. I'm still withholding judgment on Cassel.
^This

While I was disappointed in Cassel, let's see how he and the rest of the passing game does in NORMAL weather before we break out the angry mob attire.

:mob:

Chiefster
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
^This

While I was disappointed in Cassel, let's see how he and the rest of the passing game does in NORMAL weather before we break out the angry mob attire.

:mob:

Agreed! As poorly as Cassel may have played he also did some things right; chief among them is that he did not turn the ball over. He had no interceptions and did not put the ball on the ground.

chief31
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't think we saw much at all of the offensive gameplan that we expected to use.

I definitely think that we were too conservative with the lead. But hard to be too critical of that decision, considering the final outcome.

I am Ok with Cassel. It will take a while to get him considtently comfortable with the quick decision-making. And, as stated often in this thread, the play-calling changed from what was likely planned for.

Could I get a "HELL YEAH!" for Ron Edwards?

The guy was a beast lastnight, after severe doubts about his ability to play 3-4 NT.

It may only be one game. But he shined, and deserves some props.

And the other star on defense was DJ. He did miss a big tackle against Gates, but had a great game overall.

Rather it was a much needed attitude adjustment, or his own determination to disprove others, he seems to have picked up right where he left off last season. Making some big plays.

Overall I loved this game.

I hope that those of you who made it to Arrowhead for this one had the time of your lives.

rodu
09-14-2010, 09:06 PM

The guy was a beast lastnight, after severe doubts about his ability to play 3-4 NT.

I thought Shaun Smith was playing more NT last night. I didn't notice Ron until Jackson went down. Speaking of which; any update on Tyson Jackson?

nigeriannightmare
09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Am I the only concerned with giving up 390 yards of offense in poor playing conditions.

Chiefster
09-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't think we saw much at all of the offensive gameplan that we expected to use.

I definitely think that we were too conservative with the lead. But hard to be too critical of that decision, considering the final outcome.

I am Ok with Cassel. It will take a while to get him considtently comfortable with the quick decision-making. And, as stated often in this thread, the play-calling changed from what was likely planned for.

...This and

It may only be one game. But he shined, and deserves some props.

And the other star on defense was DJ. He did miss a big tackle against Gates, but had a great game overall.

Rather it was a much needed attitude adjustment, or his own determination to disprove others, he seems to have picked up right where he left off last season. Making some big plays.

Overall I loved this game.

I hope that those of you who made it to Arrowhead for this one had the time of your lives.

...I wasn't there, but that sir is a given!

nigeriannightmare
09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Hell yeah it was a big win I was soaked to the bone and freezing my arse off...I have no voice left...but 390 yards in those conditions....

Chiefster
09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Am I the only concerned with giving up 390 yards of offense in poor playing conditions.

Possibly...

It was the yards they didn't give up that is the most important.

nigeriannightmare
09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Possibly...

It was the yards they didn't give up that is the most important.

100 percent correct...I don't know I just felt as though the defense is exactly where it was last year. Caved on a couple 3rd longs, the long touchdown, second and 18 and get no pressure they get 25 yards...seemed all to familiar...until the end of course and maybe that's it. Romeo gives but doesn't break. To only surrender 14 points when the other team has almost 400 yards...that will win us some games this year.

Three7s
09-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Most of that was in the 2nd half when the Chargers were forced to throw the ball all over the place. It looked like the Chiefs were playing a prevent in the 4th quarter.

josh1971
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Most of that was in the 2nd half when the Chargers were forced to throw the ball all over the place. It looked like the Chiefs were playing a prevent in the 4th quarter.

That's right- I mean, 298 of those 390 were passing yards, and I don't know how many of those were in the 4th quarter, but I suspect lots of them.

We ate their running game all night. Their longest run ended with DJ stripping the ball and Carr returning it.

JB

Hayvern
09-15-2010, 02:33 AM

I can certainly speak for myself when I say that this ranks up there in the top 4.

1. My sons being born
2. Accepting Christ
3. Marrying my wife
4. Chiefs beat the Chargers

I would probably have put the Chiefs win over marrying my wife, but she was looking over my shoulder!

:lol:

Just kidding honey!

Fastphilly
09-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Not to say we are going to have an all world passing attack this year. I believe the weather/field condition might have altered the game plan to more of a run oriented approach.

Hayvern
09-15-2010, 02:47 AM
Not to say we are going to have an all world passing attack this year. I believe the weather/field condition might have altered the game plan to more of a run oriented approach.

Haley talked about it in his comments today:

Q&A with Todd Haley - 9/14 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/QA-with-Todd-Haley---914/4c279502-366c-4431-9133-872ad844fea4#?clipid=b562da04-7899-4914-b59c-146e3c71caa2)

Well worth listening too if anyone has any questions about why certain plays were being called.

Chiefster
09-15-2010, 03:14 AM
100 percent correct...I don't know I just felt as though the defense is exactly where it was last year. Caved on a couple 3rd longs, the long touchdown, second and 18 and get no pressure they get 25 yards...seemed all to familiar...until the end of course and maybe that's it. Romeo gives but doesn't break. To only surrender 14 points when the other team has almost 400 yards...that will win us some games this year.

Yup! I think that giving up only 14 points to a team like the bolts is a recipe for success. Seven of those points came on a terribly blown coverage; I'm certain Crennel will address that this week if not already. I just hope we have started something here that we can continue to build upon.

azchiefsfan
09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Even though Berry choked on a couple of long pass plays, as I mentioned in another thread, he was truly suffocating in the red zone. Did his name even have to be mentioned when the Bolts were in scoring range? He was absolutely fantastic in the red zone. I think with some practice the secondary will fix the holes in the open field. Berry has won me over in this one game. If he is playing at this level by game 4, my "favorite current player" slot will be filled. ( :

josh1971
09-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Even though Berry choked on a couple of long pass plays, as I mentioned in another thread, he was truly suffocating in the red zone. Did his name even have to be mentioned when the Bolts were in scoring range? He was absolutely fantastic in the red zone. I think with some practice the secondary will fix the holes in the open field. Berry has won me over in this one game. If he is playing at this level by game 4, my "favorite current player" slot will be filled. ( :

He was absolutely amazing in the red zone, if you don't count the play where Gates schooled him and scored a touchdown in the 1st quarter.

He's going to be a great safety.

okikcfan
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Berry made a rookie mistake! It's to be expected. A downpour during half of the game and playing PR and his 4x afc west champ. team, I think we did pretty freaking good for our first game. We do need to improve in many areas but we will get better.....