PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sticking with Huard over Croyle as starting quarterback

luv
09-18-2007, 04:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/279533.html

Chiefs sticking with Huard over Croyle as starting quarterback

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Brodie Croyle will wait for another day to become the Chiefs’ starting quarterback.

Coach Herm Edwards said Monday he would stay with Damon Huard as the starter for Sunday’s game against Minnesota at Arrowhead Stadium.

“He’s the starting quarterback,” Edwards said. “He hasn’t done anything to lose his job. The offense is not just one guy. Sometimes we look at the quarterback position and say it’s the quarterback. I don’t put it all on his play. It’s on everybody.

“We’re going with the same guys. We’ve played two games thus far. Both have been on the road, and now we’re coming home. I think our crowd will give a boost to this team and bring a lot of energy. We’ve got to help, though, and do some good things on offense.”
Croyle’s time still might not be far off. That Edwards wouldn’t announce a starter immediately after Sunday’s 20-10 loss in Chicago would seem to indicate he was thinking about making a change to revive a floundering offense.

Croyle came on in relief of Huard late in Sunday’s game and hit all four of his passes, including a 34-yarder to Jeff Webb. The Chiefs failed to score when Michael Bennett fumbled, but the way Croyle played certainly didn’t hurt his cause.

“If I had been zero for four instead of four for four, I definitely wouldn’t feel as good about myself as I do now,” Croyle said. “I don’t think the coaches would feel as confident in me, or my teammates. You can only get so much momentum in practice. You really have to build that in the games.

“(The Chicago game) was good because it might have gotten people confident in what I can do and believing in me once I get on the field. But take it for what it’s worth. It was one drive and it was the 2-minute drill.”
The pass to Webb was a brilliant throw, but the Chiefs were even more encouraged by the pass to Bennett that he eventually fumbled. Croyle thought about forcing a pass to Tony Gonzalez, a habit that landed him in trouble during the preseason.

Croyle instead took the safety valve to Bennett, who gained 10 yards before fumbling.

It may have been one play and one decision, or perhaps it’s evidence of Croyle’s growth.

“Three weeks ago, I don’t think I would have hit two check-downs (in Chicago),” Croyle said. “On one of those plays, I could have forced the ball to Tony. But I took the shorter pass.

“It’s a fine line. You want to go out there and make plays and spark things. That’s when bad things can happen. In the preseason, when we weren’t moving the ball, I felt I needed to go out there and make a big play. That’s when bad plays happened and turnovers happened. That turned a bad situation into a worse situation.”

Croyle’s insistence on forcing passes during the preseason got him into trouble and left Edwards no choice but to start the season with Huard. From all appearances in Chicago, Croyle made good use of the three weeks since Huard was chosen the starter.
“There’s only so much that can change in three weeks, but preseason was a great learning experience for me,” Croyle said. “As bad as it was, I can’t tell you how much I learned. In college, you can force those balls and possibly hit them. Up here, you have to take what they give you. That makes you yardage, anyway.

“I don’t know if you can ever say losing a job was good for you, but obviously I wasn’t ready at that point in time. It’s been different preparing as the backup this year than it was last year. Last year I wasn’t going to play unless we got to the last-case scenario. Now I’ve had to prepare like I was going to start because it could happen at any time.”

Croyle took just six snaps against the Bears, including a running play and a Chicago penalty when Croyle was dragged down by his face mask.

The Chiefs aren’t looking at those plays as insignificant. They certainly won’t when Croyle becomes the starter, whenever that might be.

“Those weren’t wasted plays or meaningless plays,” guard Brian Waters said. “We were still in the game at that point. We still could have won. The Bears still had their starters in there. He didn’t panic. He got hit on the first play but he bounced back to make some good decisions and put some passes in good places.”

Guru
09-18-2007, 04:51 AM
hope it works out.

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
hope it works out.

You and me both bud!

wolfpack
09-18-2007, 09:18 AM
what a waist

Chiefster
09-18-2007, 09:48 AM
what a waist

That is Carls middle name.

“If I had been zero for four instead of four for four, I definitely wouldn’t feel as good about myself as I do now,” Croyle said. “I don’t think the coaches would feel as confident in me, or my teammates. You can only get so much momentum in practice. You really have to build that in the games.

“(The Chicago game) was good because it might have gotten people confident in what I can do and believing in me once I get on the field. But take it for what it’s worth. It was one drive and it was the 2-minute drill.”
The pass to Webb was a brilliant throw, but the Chiefs were even more encouraged by the pass to Bennett that he eventually fumbled. Croyle thought about forcing a pass to Tony Gonzalez, a habit that landed him in trouble during the preseason.

Croyle instead took the safety valve to Bennett, who gained 10 yards before fumbling.

It may have been one play and one decision, or perhaps it’s evidence of Croyle’s growth.

“Three weeks ago, I don’t think I would have hit two check-downs (in Chicago),” Croyle said. “On one of those plays, I could have forced the ball to Tony. But I took the shorter pass.

“It’s a fine line. You want to go out there and make plays and spark things. That’s when bad things can happen. In the preseason, when we weren’t moving the ball, I felt I needed to go out there and make a big play. That’s when bad plays happened and turnovers happened. That turned a bad situation into a worse situation.”

Croyle’s insistence on forcing passes during the preseason got him into trouble and left Edwards no choice but to start the season with Huard. From all appearances in Chicago, Croyle made good use of the three weeks since Huard was chosen the starter.
“There’s only so much that can change in three weeks, but preseason was a great learning experience for me,” Croyle said. “As bad as it was, I can’t tell you how much I learned. In college, you can force those balls and possibly hit them. Up here, you have to take what they give you. That makes you yardage, anyway.

“I don’t know if you can ever say losing a job was good for you, but obviously I wasn’t ready at that point in time. It’s been different preparing as the backup this year than it was last year. Last year I wasn’t going to play unless we got to the last-case scenario. Now I’ve had to prepare like I was going to start because it could happen at any time.”

Croyle took just six snaps against the Bears, including a running play and a Chicago penalty when Croyle was dragged down by his face mask.

The Chiefs aren’t looking at those plays as insignificant. They certainly won’t when Croyle becomes the starter, whenever that might be.

“Those weren’t wasted plays or meaningless plays,” guard Brian Waters said. “We were still in the game at that point. We still could have won. The Bears still had their starters in there. He didn’t panic. He got hit on the first play but he bounced back to make some good decisions and put some passes in good places.”

wolfpack
09-18-2007, 01:48 PM
if haurd dosn`t produce by halftime,can him. put the kid in. i know its not cool to change QB`s in a game but this offense needs something. broidie may do it or maynot, but it might rattle haurd into becoming better.

hermhater
09-18-2007, 01:51 PM
I am glad Brody sounds so mature.

WHEN we finally move on to him, he will have studied behind a pro bowl starter, as well as a Dan Marino backup.

anaeelbackwards
09-18-2007, 02:16 PM
:sign0104:

by the time we get to brody croyle, carl peterson will probably sign another washed up quarterback to take over the team...:wheelchair:

luv
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
:sign0104:

by the time we get to brody croyle, carl peterson will probably sign another washed up quarterback to take over the team...:wheelchair:
I don't know. Trent didn't do such a bad job. Damon has his moments, but I just think he's meant to be a backup. I think we'll see Brodie start before the year is out. Let's just hope he's learned a thing or two on decision making.

hermhater
09-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know. Trent didn't do such a bad job. Damon has his moments, but I just think he's meant to be a backup. I think we'll see Brodie start before the year is out. Let's just hope he's learned a thing or two on decision making.

Trent did an absolutely fabulous job. After the concussion and loss of his O-line he never regained his confidence, or had the opportunity to make a comeback.

Another fine mess Herm caused. Who puts in a quarterback at the end of the season when they are basically back to before training camp shape, while everyone else on the field is deep into the season.

HERM is a moron.

chief31
09-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Trent did an absolutely fabulous job. After the concussion and loss of his O-line he never regained his confidence, or had the opportunity to make a comeback.

Another fine mess Herm caused. Who puts in a quarterback at the end of the season when they are basically back to before training camp shape, while everyone else on the field is deep into the season.

HERM is a moron.

....and basically on a roll.

m0ef0e
09-18-2007, 05:55 PM

HERM is a moron.

At the time, I thought Herm made this decision due to pressure from CP. Now, I think he may just be that dumb. I wanted Trent to get another shot to come back and possibly be successful. However, after barely skating into the playoffs and especially after the pathetic first half we had in the playoff game, it was obvious that we needed to go to Damon. Even my mom was asking me why they didn't put Huard in during that game. She is about as football-savvy as the chicken sandwich I had for lunch today.

Canada
09-18-2007, 06:47 PM
At the time, I thought Herm made this decision due to pressure from CP. Now, I think he may just be that dumb. I wanted Trent to get another shot to come back and possibly be successful. However, after barely skating into the playoffs and especially after the pathetic first half we had in the playoff game, it was obvious that we needed to go to Damon. Even my mom was asking me why they didn't put Huard in during that game. She is about as football-savvy as the chicken sandwich I had for lunch today.

And you ate it??....we coulda replaced Herm!! :beer:

hermhater
09-18-2007, 06:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH!

Good one!

I knew Canadians were good for something.

hehehehe

Canada
09-18-2007, 06:50 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH!

Good one!

I knew Canadians were good for something.

hehehehe

Now we just have to figure out a use for Americans!! :iamwithstupid:

hermhater
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Now we just have to figure out a use for Americans!! :iamwithstupid:

Ummm...

Well you guys can afford health care because the idiots down here want to spend all our money on protecting our 51st state to the north!

That's worth something, no?

chief31
09-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Ummm...

Well you guys can afford health care because the idiots down here want to spend all our money on protecting our 51st state to the north!

From.............?????????????????:D

hermhater
09-18-2007, 07:06 PM
From.............?????????????????:D

You know... them bad guys... the terrists.

chief31
09-18-2007, 07:08 PM
You know... them bad guys... the terrists.

Yeah. Becuse we all know that the rest of the world sure does hate them pesky Canadians. :lol:

Canada
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Ummm...

How can one state be bigger than the rest of the country?? and cleaner?? and make better beer?? and be so much more liked around the world?? and better looking?? :bananen_smilies046:

m0ef0e
09-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are. :lol: BTW, the only reason why anybody would want to mess with Canada is to get at America since the rest of the world despises us.

Chiefster
09-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are. :lol: BTW, the only reason why anybody would want to mess with Canada is to get at America since the rest of the world despises us.

Heh! True.

wolfpack
09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Heh! True.
hey we mustbe liked in mexico,they seem coming back all the time.

Chiefster
09-22-2007, 05:44 PM
hey we mustbe liked in mexico,they seem coming back all the time.

Heh! That's because we keep rolling out the red carpet for them.

timsatt1
09-23-2007, 02:07 AM

yes, everyone despises America, that is why everyone wants to move here.

oh wait, did cnn tell you everyone hates us...THEN IT MUST BE TRUE

AHAHHAHHAH FOOLZ...

we are liked. we have the best system of government, the best economy (free economy) until some damn #$# liberal gets in office and starts taking away our freedoms.

but for now....CHEERZ TO AMERICA, Land of the free (for now) and home of the Atlanta Braves.

hermhater
09-23-2007, 02:17 AM

AHAHHAHHAH FOOLZ...

we are liked. we have the best system of government, the best economy (free economy) until some damn #$# liberal gets in office and starts taking away our freedoms.

but for now....CHEERZ TO AMERICA, Land of the free (for now) and home of the Atlanta Braves.

Oh my god.

What did you say?

Chiefster
09-23-2007, 02:48 AM

AHAHHAHHAH FOOLZ...

This message brought to you by the Fox News Network.

That is all.

rbedgood
09-23-2007, 07:00 AM

AHAHHAHHAH FOOLZ...

For every genius who realizes that CNN is full of crap, there's an idiot who thinks Fox News is any better...Different (YES), better...(HAHAHA)

As for the Atlanta Knaves...piss on 'em

sling58
09-23-2007, 07:02 AM

AHAHHAHHAH FOOLZ...

but for now....CHEERZ TO AMERICA, Land of the free (for now) and home of the KANSAS CITY CHIEFS.

FYP...

chief31
09-23-2007, 10:10 AM
both political parties are corrupt.

but there are HUGE differences in Fox's and CNNs political agendas.

you realize how much free health care is going to cost us? you have no clue. but guess who will be included in "free health care" which WE Americans will be paying for....ALL THE F****** ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS THAT ARE HERE. .

We do not allow this kind of language here. Perhaps you should read the rules.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438

timsatt1
09-23-2007, 11:14 AM
We do not allow this kind of language here. Perhaps you should read the rules.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438

yes, well it looks like the filter caught it so it is ok.

chief31
09-23-2007, 11:55 AM
yes, well it looks like the filter caught it so it is ok.

No.One of the other Mods/admin must have deleted it. I had to edit it in my reply, myself. Just try to keep your emotions in check, so far as language goes. Thanks.

m0ef0e
09-23-2007, 09:24 PM

AHAHHAHHAH FOOLZ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: OOOOOOKAY dude.... Just go to about any forum on the internet that is mostly non-Americans and see what they say about us. Look at comments on youtube and many other mainstream sites that have a lot of global hits. For the record, I am not liberal. I like Bush. He hasn't done everything right, he wasn't the best man for the job, but we never get to vote for THAT guy. Of the choices we had at the time, I voted for him and I stand by my decision. I don't like the world trash talking and hating our guts any better than you do but it's a reality.

timsatt1
09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: OOOOOOKAY dude.... Just go to about any forum on the internet that is mostly non-Americans and see what they say about us. Look at comments on youtube and many other mainstream sites that have a lot of global hits. For the record, I am not liberal. I like Bush. He hasn't done everything right, he wasn't the best man for the job, but we never get to vote for THAT guy. Of the choices we had at the time, I voted for him and I stand by my decision. I don't like the world trash talking and hating our guts any better than you do but it's a reality.

yes, they hate america ...but was that after a visit? NO!! the only thing they know about us is what their media shows them on tv. Come on man, wake up.

and why are you overly concerned with being liked? If our leaders attempted to be "liked", and starting trying to be country pleasers....we would go down the toilet.

if you ever want to debate politics and the effects that the wrong people in office could/would have on our economy and security, i will debate with you. And i dont care to win a debate for the sake of winning, but I want everyone to be informed on what major decisions lie ahead for our country...war in iraq/stopping illegal immigration/ NATIONAL HEALTH CARE.

but only if you want to debate that stuff....

...if you dont...we can just talk about tony gonzalez and the bowie show and that is all fine and dandy with me.

m0ef0e
09-24-2007, 04:57 PM
yes, they hate america ...but was that after a visit? NO!! the only thing they know about us is what their media shows them on tv. Come on man, wake up.

and why are you overly concerned with being liked? If our leaders attempted to be "liked", and starting trying to be country pleasers....we would go down the toilet.

if you ever want to debate politics and the effects that the wrong people in office could/would have on our economy and security, i will debate with you. And i dont care to win a debate for the sake of winning, but I want everyone to be informed on what major decisions lie ahead for our country...war in iraq/stopping illegal immigration/ NATIONAL HEALTH CARE.

but only if you want to debate that stuff....

...if you dont...we can just talk about tony gonzalez and the bowie show and that is all fine and dandy with me.

I do agree with you that the rest of the world's opinion of us is totally unfounded and skewed by what is spoon-fed to them by their media. And they accuse us of the same thing regarding our media! :lol:

I also agree that our leaders can't worry about being popular. We definately have our own problems to take care of. As far as I'm concerned, the people in the world that doesn't like America just because it's America can sit on it.

DrunkHillbilly
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
I do agree with you that the rest of the world's opinion of us is totally unfounded and skewed by what is spoon-fed to them by their media. And they accuse us of the same thing regarding our media! :lol:

I also agree that our leaders can't worry about being popular. We definately have our own problems to take care of. As far as I'm concerned, the people in the world that doesn't like America just because it's America can sit on it.

Potsy!!!!!!

timsatt1
09-24-2007, 05:56 PM
[quote=m0ef0e;25985]

I also agree that our leaders can't worry about being popular. We definately have our own problems to take care of.quote]

well, sadly, out of the two major political parties...one of the two is VERY CONCERNED about world opinion of us, and wants to do everything it can to get all the other nations to "like us."

I think you can figure out for yourself if you have two ears and a brain in between which party that is.

rbedgood
09-24-2007, 08:50 PM
[quote=m0ef0e;25985]

I also agree that our leaders can't worry about being popular. We definately have our own problems to take care of.quote]

well, sadly, out of the two major political parties...one of the two is VERY CONCERNED about world opinion of us, and wants to do everything it can to get all the other nations to "like us."

I think you can figure out for yourself if you have two ears and a brain in between which party that is.

It takes a village to figure that out...:D :D

Chiefster
09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
No.One of the other Mods/admin must have deleted it. I had to edit it in my reply, myself. Just try to keep your emotions in check, so far as language goes. Thanks.

Thanks for staying on top of things here chief31; you da man!
:sign0098: