PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs to cut ties with Cassel after 2010

Ryfo18
09-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't get me wrong, I really do hope Cassel can start playing like the quarterback we brought him into be, but this is an interesting little tidbit I got from Rotoworld:

"NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora believes the Chiefs will "strongly consider" cutting ties with Matt Cassel after the 2010 season.
Cassel is due a $4.75 million salary plus a $7.5 million option bonus, which would make him one of the highest paid players in the league next year. The Chiefs upgraded the talent around him, so the excuses for his poor play are running out. Cassel has provided no reason to believe he can be developed into a franchise quarterback."

I don't see it happening...What's the backup plan? Croyle? A rookie from the draft? Vick (highly doubt it)?

garciakcfan
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
maybe he will get his head out of his arse starting this weekend?? its been pretty pathetic to watch

stricken721
09-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I really do hope Cassel can start playing like the quarterback we brought him into be, but this is an interesting little tidbit I got from Rotoworld:

"NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora believes the Chiefs will "strongly consider" cutting ties with Matt Cassel after the 2010 season.
Cassel is due a $4.75 million salary plus a $7.5 million option bonus, which would make him one of the highest paid players in the league next year. The Chiefs upgraded the talent around him, so the excuses for his poor play are running out. Cassel has provided no reason to believe he can be developed into a franchise quarterback."

I don't see it happening...What's the backup plan? Croyle? A rookie from the draft? Vick (highly doubt it)?

I say a rookie. In this order on who I would like 1. Ryan Mallett 2. Andrew Luck 3. Jake Locker

KCINNYC
09-23-2010, 11:48 PM
BARF.

Cassel has all f****** year to prove himself. BACK OFF! WE ARE 2-0. Anyone remember the days of Herm Edwards? NOTHING to be happy about.
Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
I hate this place sometimes.
Where are the fans?
Tell me, (I go to every game) what in the hell do the Chiefs owe any of us? The cost of a ticket or an 8 dollar beer?
WE ARE in 1st place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fastphilly
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I say a rookie. In this order on who I would like 1. Ryan Mallett 2. Andrew Luck 3. Jake Locker

We better start blowing some games if we want a shot at these guys..There are a ton of teams looking for QB's in next years draft so lots of luck.

stricken721
09-23-2010, 11:54 PM
BARF.

Cassel has all f****** year to prove himself. BACK OFF! WE ARE 2-0. Anyone remember the days of Herm Edwards? NOTHING to be happy about.
Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?
Tell me, (I go to every game) what in the hell do the Chiefs owe any of us? The cost of a ticket or an 8 dollar beer?

I don't know of anyone here who isn't happy about us being in first place and 2-0. But we as fans are entitled to our opinions just as much as any other guy. Yes we have won, but they have been ugly wins. You cannot deny that Cassel is playing badly, and yes he might get better or he might not, but you still gotta think ahead whether Cassel is here or if he's not here.

When it comes to Chiefs Crowd.. I'm sorry you hate this place, in all honestly I love this place. I may not agree with everybody's opinion but I deal with it, talk about it with them and move on. There's no need to feel all hostile towards people if they don't think the same way you or I do. We're all Chiefs fans and we are all here for the same cause.. to win games and to support our team.. even if we have different views on how it should be done.

Big Daddy Tek
09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Cassel could throw 30 picks this year and would walk in as the guaranteed starter next year.

Fastphilly
09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?

I agree though..Lets give the man a chance..This is his third year with the Chiefs and up until recently the talent around him has stunk..So lets see how he progresses throughout the season.

stricken721
09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
We better start blowing some games if we want a shot at these guys..There are a ton of teams looking for QB's in next years draft so lots of luck.

Yeah it's gonna be tough to land one of those guys but I have hope. There are some decent QB's that will be there in 2nd and 3rd round that may work out but I just hope for Ryan Mallett.

bwilliams
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM

I don't think we ditch Cassel unless we finish 5-11 or worse. We may draft a QBOTF high, but I'm pretty sure Cassel will be our 2011 Opening Day starter. Mostly because we won't get Luck or Locker unless we draft top-10 (which we won't get at 6-10, 7-9), and there aren't any decent FA QBs next offseason.

Not to mention that we'll almost certainly be below the cap (assuming one's reinstated), even with Cassel's bonus. Our team has *no* salary right now.

garciakcfan
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?

back off?? have you been watching the same football that i have?? im all in support but i would like to see something too. when the hell is he and bowe gonna get on the same page, this offense is waiting for him to step up so we can blow people out. hopefully sunday because ill be there!!!!!

Chief Tyler
09-24-2010, 12:23 AM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?

The Chiefs owe us results. That's the nature of a business. Not all of us are satisfied with beating bottom of the barrel teams. Most of us want our team to come out and pull out the win when the other team is clicking on all cylinders. Most of us want to be good enough to where the only team capable of beating us is ourselves. Most of us want a Superbowl. We all acknowledge improvement where it's due, but we're not going to be satisfied with a mediocre product.

It seems like you weren't much of an athlete, or at least not much of a competitive spirit. In my experience I'd enjoy a win for a short while and get back to work. Beating up on bad local soccer teams wasn't very satisfying. As a team the real excitement came at the state level and beyond, playing against the best. For a lot of people that kind of mentality bleed over into the rest of their life. They're not angry, they're not negative. They're just competitive. I know I'm not going to run around bragging about how my team is in first place just because they're 2-0 with 2 lucky (but deserved wins) In the grand scheme of things it means squat. I remember just a few years ago when the Royals started 17-0, but look what happened.

Also, again with calling into question people's fandom. Let's save it for the other thread, or better yet, not at all. Everybody has a different perception of this team and not all of us are delusional enough to believe that 2-0 over the Browns and a rattled Chargers team means that we're over the hump and able to compete day in and day out with quality teams. Cassel is the most important missing cog to get this machine running, and if it takes all year to find himself, it's going to be a slow and pathetic season.

Edit* I remember last year (maybe 2 years ago) how a few Browns fans attempted to organize a boycott of one of the games. I'd argue those fans care for their team deeper than most. Rather than spend money regardless of the product as you imply that you do, these guys attempted to send a message to their organization, displaying a real and deep emotional connection to their team. It's like tough love parenting, just because your mommy says no doesn't mean she doesn't love you. :)

figcrostic
09-24-2010, 12:35 AM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?

Chill out man, the TS didn't say anything that most of us don't agree with. Yes we are 2-0 and it's awesome but Cassel has been playing very bad, your right he has all year and hopefully he figures it out, but don't act like a baby because he has a differing opinon. If you hate this place go somewhere else then!

Fastphilly
09-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Well cassel has proven he can find the open receivers and put up some offence in New England, so he must have it in him..I think it's a matter of him getting on the same page with the others. Lets just hope it does'nt take until November for him to get it:imagestore (13): going.

figcrostic
09-24-2010, 12:39 AM
The Chiefs owe us results. That's the nature of a business. Not all of us are satisfied with beating bottom of the barrel teams. Most of us want our team to come out and pull out the win when the other team is clicking on all cylinders. Most of us want to be good enough to where the only team capable of beating us is ourselves. Most of us want a Superbowl. We all acknowledge improvement where it's due, but we're not going to be satisfied with a mediocre product.

It seems like you weren't much of an athlete, or at least not much of a competitive spirit. In my experience I'd enjoy a win for a short while and get back to work. Beating up on bad local soccer teams wasn't very satisfying. As a team the real excitement came at the state level and beyond, playing against the best. For a lot of people that kind of mentality bleed over into the rest of their life. They're not angry, they're not negative. They're just competitive. I know I'm not going to run around bragging about how my team is in first place just because they're 2-0 with 2 lucky (but deserved wins) In the grand scheme of things it means squat. I remember just a few years ago when the Royals started 17-0, but look what happened.

Also, again with calling into question people's fandom. Let's save it for the other thread, or better yet, not at all. Everybody has a different perception of this team and not all of us are delusional enough to believe that 2-0 over the Browns and a rattled Chargers team means that we're over the hump and able to compete day in and day out with quality teams. Cassel is the most important missing cog to get this machine running, and if it takes all year to find himself, it's going to be a slow and pathetic season.

Edit* I remember last year (maybe 2 years ago) how a few Browns fans attempted to organize a boycott of one of the games. I'd argue those fans care for their team deeper than most. Rather than spend money regardless of the product as you imply that you do, these guys attempted to send a message to their organization, displaying a real and deep emotional connection to their team. It's like tough love parenting, just because your mommy says no doesn't mean she doesn't love you. :)

:lol::lol: I'm with you I'm not negative I'm competitive I wanna be the best not be good I wanna destroy the other team. It feels like we got lucky and luck is a good thing to have but we are not always gonna be lucky Cassel needs to step up and throw the ball a little quicker and a little more on the button.

Hayvern
09-24-2010, 12:42 AM
What all of you have to keep in mind here is that there is no labor agreement next year. All this money that Cassel is owed, well if the owners have a lock out, and the bargaining agreement is not renewed, who knows who is getting what?

Chiefster
09-24-2010, 12:42 AM
***Official Chiefs Crowd QB Discussion Thread*** - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14490)

stricken721
09-24-2010, 12:47 AM
***Official Chiefs Crowd QB Discussion Thread*** - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14490)

You're having a hard time marketing that thread, huh? :lol:

Chiefster
09-24-2010, 12:49 AM
You're having a hard time marketing that thread, huh? :lol:

Just tryin to get the word out that we don't need 500 quaterback discussion threads. :D

garciakcfan
09-24-2010, 12:57 AM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?

i did want to answer this question.

This fan is in north platte nebraska waiting to drive to kansas city tomorrow all the way from glacier national park in the northwest corner of montana. Instead of going back to NY where home is i rerouted my travel plans (im driving) to watch the my most favorite team in the whole wide world. And then heading home after working up there all summer...... thanks but i bleed red and gold too!!!!:chiefs:

whatwasthat?
09-24-2010, 12:58 AM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?

its exciting that were 2-0 but its true that cassel has been terrible...if he does not improve then we will get a big dose of reality when we play indy and houston...well see for real how far we are from being a contending team

KCINNYC
09-24-2010, 12:58 AM
WOW. Hey everyone, I was playing poker and drinking beer at the time of my last post...while I kind of agree with myself I think that I also was tipsy and kind of rude. Apologies!

stricken721
09-24-2010, 01:00 AM
WOW. Hey everyone, I was playing poker and drinking beer at the time of my last post...while I kind of agree with myself I think that I also was tipsy and kind of rude. Apologies!

:bananen_smilies046:
Did you win?

KCINNYC
09-24-2010, 01:01 AM
:bananen_smilies046:
Did you win?

I swear to you on the Chiefs....I won the whole thing:chiefs:

stricken721
09-24-2010, 01:03 AM
I swear to you on the Chiefs....I won the whole thing:chiefs:

Good job. :chiefs:

honda522
09-24-2010, 02:42 PM
BARF.

Lets all calm down.
Go Chiefs.
Fuc*ing seriously.
Where are the fans?
I agree with what you said, I tend to think of the future. When will are first loss come? Why will we lose. Cassel is the weakest link in our system right now. Everyone around him is preforming at a higher level. I love being 2-0, but the reality is that we could have easily lost those games because of lack of scoring.

There are 3 things to worry about. Offense, Defense and Special Teams. We have Defense and ST, but no Off. If we had a QB that could sling the ball around, maybe we could have the number one offense once again.

yashi
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
2-0 but QB is far and away the biggest weakness on the team thus far. I always think about how we can get better, even if we were to win the Super Bowl.

Right now, if a team were to shut down our running game, we would have no chance of winning the game unless the passing game was there. It's really important that it gets on track, whether that means Cassel playing better or being benched in favor of Croyle, I don't care. It just has to happen.

Next year is next year, but obviously if it's week 17 and we're still struggling in the passing game, there's 0 doubt that we need to go QB in round 1.

rodu
09-24-2010, 06:35 PM
This is his third year with the Chiefs

2nd year

kilobytes
09-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Its hard to rebound from the terrible o line last year. Give him time this year. He should be good to go this weekend. He will only get better.

Three7s
09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Its hard to rebound from the terrible o line last year. Give him time this year. He should be good to go this weekend. He will only get better.
I can see that, but from the two games I've watched, the protection has been outstanding. Two games and two sacks is phenomenal.

The problem is Cassel has a severe lack of poise, and it's something he MUST work on.

kilobytes
09-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I can see that, but from the two games I've watched, the protection has been outstanding. Two games and two sacks is phenomenal.

The problem is Cassel has a severe lack of poise, and it's something he MUST work on.

That is true and he finally got under control in the 2nd half of the Browns game. Last year partially ruined him. He has to trust his line now.

tornadospotter
09-24-2010, 10:39 PM

What my problem with Cassel is, he needs to put more touch and finesse on his passes, to me, it looks like he throws a pass to hard to catch. By touch, I mean not more touches by Defensive players, He has way to much of that going on!

Three7s
09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
What my problem with Cassel is, he needs to put more touch and finesse on his passes, to me, it looks like he throws a pass to hard to catch. By touch, I mean not more touches by Defensive players, He has way to much of that going on!
I know what you mean! He needs to know just how much or how little to put on each pass.

AussieChiefsFan
09-25-2010, 03:00 AM

I agree hes the only one not improving.

Pro_Angler
09-25-2010, 09:49 AM

I feel the same way.. I ran track and cross country. I ran a 4:06 mile, there has onle been like 300 people ever to run a sub 4min mile. As a high school sgtudent running almost a sub 4min mile, the competition wasnt there. Didnt matter how many scohool medals I won, because usually the other best runner were mid to upper 4 min miles.
It's the competitivness in me that want to see us win big and against great teams, we will not do that with the way Casselll has played and is playing, can he take a magic pill and become a great QB over night? No. But I believe he's had a long enough chance.

azchiefsfan
09-25-2010, 12:53 PM
We beat SD, who Tony Dungy says he still thinks is going to the Super Bowl. It may have been a defensive slug-fest but we won. I am hoping we make the playoffs this year, but I know that if not this year, next year we will. As I have said over and over, this is the first time in 5 or 6 years I feel a difference in our guys. They believe they can win and we got some studs making it happen. We have the pieces, now we just need to gel.

azchiefsfan
09-25-2010, 12:54 PM
:postwhore5fw::chiefs: Gotta get my cash going!