PDA

View Full Version : To those who talked about how bad our offseason/draft was

matthewschiefs
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Anyone care to admit that they were wrong?

I will start. I thought that our draft was ok at best. I was wrong. We had a GREAT Draft. Our rookies are makeing an impact this season and will only get better.Sorry Pioli,Haley and to the Chiefs I was wrong about our draft and couldn't be happier about it.
:chiefs: :punk: :chiefs: :yahoo:

Pro_Angler
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Ive never had a issue with our draft.. I am only suspect of Cassells ability. He made some good throws and some bad ones.. The plays today were excellently designed to give him the best chance to be successfull and it worked.

GlennBree
09-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I think the mix of Rookies we have...with along with our vets is making for a very well rounded team!

70 chiefsfan70
09-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I liked the draft alot with the exception of, Moeaki. And now he has shown me he too was a great pick, Because of the leaders we added,( O ad D Cor. included) it puts the lalent we had to very good use.

texaschief
09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
ugh.... where was this post the last 2 weeks?? We STILL need a NT if we're gonna run a 3-4... PERIOD. That has been my MAIN issue with this past offseason.

I WILL say, however, that our front 7 has outperformed my expectations so far this season. But, again, it's a 16 game season and judgement on ANYTHING, good OR bad should wait till AFTER the season. Now that the talents of these rookies are exposed and how the Chiefs will utilize them, defenses are going to start game-planning for those guys and those little screens and end-arounds aren't going to be WIDE open all year... hell, they were shut down the first 2 games of the year.

The offense AND defense just looked INCREDIBLE against San Francisco. I'm starting to believe in this team. I thought the 49ers game was gonna be a REAL test for this team and they passed it with FLYING colors. I'm a LOT more excited after this game than I was after the SD or Cleveland games. Going into the bye week 4-0 looks like a REAL possibility. That seems unbelievable after the past few seasons.

chief31
09-26-2010, 04:50 PM
If I had it to do all over again, I would still have taken Okung in the first.

But there is no arguing that this draft has been working out as well as anyone could have expected.

Moeki's big TD catch today was a better highlight than his entire college career. Vastly exceeding expectations so far.

The biggest offseason pickup, at least at this point, is Romeo Crennel.

He has the same bunch of "sorry scrubs" from the past couple of seasons carrying this team to a 3-0 start.

I was feeling safer with the addition of Weiss than I was with Crennel. But that has not been the case at all, to this point.

As far as the draft, on the whole... Pretty hard to be too judgemental after three games. You draft for players that will be effective over the long haul. Three games isn't the long haul.

But I am absolutely loving those kids right now.:punk:

figcrostic
09-26-2010, 04:52 PM

I will start. I thought that our draft was ok at best. I was wrong. We had a GREAT Draft. Our rookies are makeing an impact this season and will only get better.Sorry Pioli,Haley and to the Chiefs I was wrong about our draft and couldn't be happier about it.
:chiefs: :punk: :chiefs: :yahoo:

I was wrong on Mccluster but that's because I thought he was gonna be used as a rb, and Arenas because of his cb skills not return skills. The jury is still out on Berry being worth a 5th, Moeaki is a good TE but I don't remember hating on him.

figcrostic
09-26-2010, 04:54 PM

But there is no arguing that this draft has been working out as well as anyone could have expected.

Moeki's big TD catch today was a better highlight than his entire college career. Vastly exceeding expectations so far.

He has the same bunch of "sorry scrubs" from the past couple of seasons carrying this team to a 3-0 start.

I was feeling safer with the addition of Weiss than I was with Crennel. But that has not been the case at all, to this point.

As far as the draft, on the whole... Pretty hard to be too judgemental after three games. You draft for players that will be effective over the long haul. Three games isn't the long haul.

I can agree with that okung or trent williams. Romeo is an awesome defensive coach like you said these guys were laughed at last year now nobodies laughing.

figcrostic
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Ive never had a issue with our draft.. I am only suspect of Cassells ability. He made some good throws and some bad ones.. The plays today were excellently designed to give him the best chance to be successfull and it worked.

Agree I'm still trying to figure out if Cassel did anything spectacular in the second or just didn't do anything stupid, but he had a great second half for sure.

Pro_Angler
09-26-2010, 04:58 PM
OMG FIG you agreed with me..... im writing this down on my calender..lol...JK.. Yea he made some bad throws but more good then bad, excellent reciever on the 2 TD catched to bowe and moeaki they made the better play for sure..

figcrostic
09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
OMG FIG you agreed with me..... im writing this down on my calender..lol...JK.. Yea he made some bad throws but more good then bad, excellent reciever on the 2 TD catched to bowe and moeaki they made the better play for sure..

Unlike yourself I don't try to bash on people for no reason, and don't hold grudges. If you say something I agree with, I will note it, whomever says it.

Pro_Angler
09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I dont bash anyone.. I hate sarcastic people thats all..

chief31
09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Unlike yourself I don't try to bash on people for no reason, and don't hold grudges. If you say something I agree with, I will note it, whomever says it.

This is hilarious!

Have you read it?:lol:

Pro_Angler
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
This is hilarious!

Have you read it?:lol:

Yea whenever have i bashed anyone for thier opinions in the 3 years ive been here?? none..

chief31
09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Yea whenever have i bashed anyone for thier opinions in the 3 years ive been here?? none..

I just meant how he was saying he doesn't bash people, while bashing you in the same breath. :D

texaschief
09-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I just meant how he was saying he doesn't bash people, while bashing you in the same breath. :D

This actually made me laugh out loud... :lol:

matthewschiefs
09-26-2010, 05:22 PM

On the one to Moeaki I don't think he scores if its a not a high throw. There was a defender there Moeaki went up and made a play. I don't think he scores if its not a high throw.

Vanilla Garilla
09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I was always a fan of this last years draft so the only thing i can possibly say is.....Told ya sooooo. JK but its nice to see all these rookies make an IMMEDIATE impact!

Pro_Angler
09-26-2010, 05:28 PM
On the one to Moeaki I don't think he scores if its a not a high throw. There was a defender there Moeaki went up and made a play. I don't think he scores if its not a high throw.

I thought the same thing, but there was a bit of seperation thats for sure, and it was pretty high, its a team effort, I just ment it was a better catch then throw,

DieHardFan
09-26-2010, 05:38 PM
I had a couple of wtf moments in the draft, that is probably why they do not pay me to do it!

matthewschiefs
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I thought the same thing, but there was a bit of seperation thats for sure, and it was pretty high, its a team effort, I just ment it was a better catch then throw,

Yeah Tony Made a catch that looked kind of like the Tony before him. It was still a bit to high of a throw. But I was just saying Cassle was right to throw the ball high.

Pro_Angler
09-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah Tony Made a catch that looked kind of like the Tony before him. It was still a bit to high of a throw. But I was just saying Cassle was right to throw the ball high.

Absolutely I agree with you, cassell just needs to work on his long ball touch..no one can agrue that... Great game...

:chiefs: :beer:

Seek
09-27-2010, 01:08 PM
The only argument I have, is not with this years draft but with last years. I am not a big fan of Ty Jackson, specially since I truly hope they keep Shaun Smith in there in his place as he was a beast yesterday.

wildcat
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I was unhappy with several picks. I thought we drafted Berry to high, should have drafted an NT, and that taking another "running back" with our 2nd rounder was a terrible decision. I was also upset that we drafted another TE.

After I got over the shock that they went a much different route in the draft than I thought they would, I realized that the front office and coaching staff probably know more about what they were doing than I do.

At this point, I would say that I am very happy with almost every draft pick. We still have question marks at QB and NT, but we had too many holes to fill in one draft.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-27-2010, 02:02 PM

You do realize that okung held out and is now injured, right?

You do get that, don't you?

bwilliams
09-27-2010, 02:07 PM

I never thought we drafted bad players (except I thought McCluster would be lousy). I did think we passed on the building blocks of the team for the frills. If our offensive line and front seven hold up over the next 13 games as they did in the first 3, then I was definitely wrong about that. Knock on wood.

But the biggest difference is that Ron Edwards (god bless him) has actually looked like a real NT. That was the big thing I never would have guessed.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Here is my favorite part:

I was waiting for a nose tackle in the draft. When Cam Thomas fell to us in the 4th, and then we traded up for Moeaki, I was...not "stunned," but certainly it took the air out a little.

Here's the thing - every single rookie has made a BIG contribution to the team. That includes Berry, who was killing it in run support. while he did give up a couple of big plays, the majority of the time, he has been in position, ready to make a play, which has GREATLY freed up our cornerbacks to play more aggressively on the ball. I think Flowers' play is vastly improved this year, and that's due to being able to trust his help over the top.

I love how people were complaining, and STILL complain, that we didn't do enough to improve our front 7, despite the fact that we have our front 7 is made up of 4 first rounders, a pro-bowler, and we also have a couple other players really exceeding their draft status in Gilberry and Studebaker.

Not to mention that we hired the single best defensive coordinator in the league for defensive line play. Did people REALLY expect guys like Dorsey to just never improve, even though he was largely considered the most talented player in the draft? REALLY?

Things take time, and work. This team has put in both, and it's showing on the field. At some point, you can't keep saying you'll fix the team in the draft or free agency. You have to fix the team in the weight room and film room.

The best offseason player acquisitions were Dorsey and DJ.

bwilliams
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
The only argument I have, is not with this years draft but with last years. I am not a big fan of Ty Jackson, specially since I truly hope they keep Shaun Smith in there in his place as he was a beast yesterday.

It looks like the only guy we drafted in 2009 that was worth his pick was Mr. Irrelevant. TJ is now the 4th DE behind Dorsey/Smith/Gilberry, and Magee's the 5th. Everyone else is practice squad or low-end special teams.

Canada
09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Going into the bye week 4-0 looks like a REAL possibility. No it isn't. The bye week is next week. We will be 3-0 though!! :bananen_smilies046:

Seek
09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I never thought we drafted bad players (except I thought McCluster would be lousy). I did think we passed on the building blocks of the team for the frills. If our offensive line and front seven hold up over the next 13 games as they did in the first 3, then I was definitely wrong about that. Knock on wood.

But the biggest difference is that Ron Edwards (god bless him) has actually looked like a real NT. That was the big thing I never would have guessed.

I had thought Ron Edwards was holding his own. I think the biggest difference is Dorsey is playing like a beast which is helping Edwards.

yashi
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I loved our draft from day 1. And I've wanted Eric Berry in a Chiefs uniform since his sophomore season at Tennessee.

melted ice
09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I will admit I was wrong. When they took McCluster in the 2nd round I was shocked. Today, it looks like a brilliant pick. I guess I am still scarred by Carl's inability.

chief31
09-28-2010, 10:59 PM
You do realize that okung held out and is now injured, right?

You do get that, don't you?

Yep. Do you get that an NFL career is expected to be longer than three games?

Big Daddy Tek
09-29-2010, 02:50 AM
ugh.... where was this post the last 2 weeks?? We STILL need a NT if we're gonna run a 3-4... PERIOD. That has been my MAIN issue with this past offseason.

I WILL say, however, that our front 7 has outperformed my expectations so far this season. But, again, it's a 16 game season and judgement on ANYTHING, good OR bad should wait till AFTER the season. Now that the talents of these rookies are exposed and how the Chiefs will utilize them, defenses are going to start game-planning for those guys and those little screens and end-arounds aren't going to be WIDE open all year... hell, they were shut down the first 2 games of the year.

The offense AND defense just looked INCREDIBLE against San Francisco. I'm starting to believe in this team. I thought the 49ers game was gonna be a REAL test for this team and they passed it with FLYING colors. I'm a LOT more excited after this game than I was after the SD or Cleveland games. Going into the bye week 4-0 looks like a REAL possibility. That seems unbelievable after the past few seasons.

I think the verdict is still out on your NT analysis. Ron Edwards has looked like Jesus so far. You are correct on the rush the judgment though. It has only been three games. We will re-visit this a few more times this year I'm sure.

Hayvern
09-29-2010, 09:55 AM
While I am not unhappy with the draft, I still maintain that there should have been an offensive lineman taken in that draft, one that could start right away.

Our offensive line has played well enough against some mediocre defenses. I still am not seeing the kind of coverage that a Tom Brady gets, or Drew Brees gets and those offensive lines are what is needed.

Aside from our needs on the line, I think the team is doing well. I think we can beat Indy, but that is where the real test for all of these rookies is going to come.

brdempsey69
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
As far as the Chiefs 2010 draft goes, I liked what they did in the 3rd round with Asamoah and Moeaki and in the 5th round with Lewis and Sheffield.

I would have preferred Okung over Berry, but the Chiefs Tackles ( Albert and Richardson ) have given up only 1 sack/hit on the QB thus far. All the other hits/sacks on Cassel have came up the middle of the O-Line and it won't be long before Asamoah forces his way in there. I was at Arrowhead last Sunday and Berry seemed to settle down and was where he was supposed to be. Berry will get tested by Peyton Manning severely in the next game as well as the rest of the Chiefs secondary.

Didn't like the 2nd round choices of McCluster and Arenas, but they have answered the call of duty & contributed with their kick returning, plus Arenas has done well as nickel corner and McCluster has added an explosive playmaker to the Chiefs offense.

So yes, as matthewschiefs stated, it was a great draft that has helped the Chiefs improve by leaps and bounds.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
As far as the Chiefs 2010 draft goes, I liked what they did in the 3rd round with Asamoah and Moeaki and in the 5th round with Lewis and Sheffield.

I would have preferred Okung over Berry, but the Chiefs Tackles ( Albert and Richardson ) have given up only 1 sack/hit on the QB thus far. All the other hits/sacks on Cassel have came up the middle of the O-Line and it won't be long before Asamoah forces his way in there. I was at Arrowhead last Sunday and Berry seemed to settle down and was where he was supposed to be. Berry will get tested by Peyton Manning severely in the next game as well as the rest of the Chiefs secondary.

Didn't like the 2nd round choices of McCluster and Arenas, but they have answered the call of duty & contributed with their kick returning, plus Arenas has done well as nickel corner and McCluster has added an explosive playmaker to the Chiefs offense.

So yes, as matthewschiefs stated, it was a great draft that has helped the Chiefs improve by leaps and bounds.

I think that with the way the O line has played this year Cassle has only been sacked twice and one he had a lot of time to throw the ball away has made the pick of Berry over Okung the right move. Not to mention Okung got hurt now would he have got hurt in KC we won't no but might he be a player that has trouble staying of the field is the concern I have with a rookie who gets hurt before game 1. But he still has a long time to prove that he can.

OPLookn
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
While I am not unhappy with the draft, I still maintain that there should have been an offensive lineman taken in that draft, one that could start right away.

Our offensive line has played well enough against some mediocre defenses. I still am not seeing the kind of coverage that a Tom Brady gets, or Drew Brees gets and those offensive lines are what is needed.

Aside from our needs on the line, I think the team is doing well. I think we can beat Indy, but that is where the real test for all of these rookies is going to come.

We did we drafted Asamoah and he could have started right away and I believe done just as good as either Lilja or Waters we're giving him a year or two to work into the role. Just my thought though.

I'll flat out admit I was wrong about the draft. But then again if I was right I'd be making a six figure salary. And since I find myself getting back to poor on pay day instead of in poverty and destitute I can safely say I don't make six figures.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Tell that to the Cincinatti Bengals, who have watched their prized left tackle never make it onto the field due to injury.

My point is that Okung is in NO WAY a safer bet that berry, and already berry is outperforming him by being in camp and being on the field.

You're literally saying you would rather have an injured holdout than a healthy starter.

Really?

REALLY?!

thank god you don't run the team.

SAPHOJUNKIE
09-29-2010, 01:25 PM

oh, and by the way...

Cassel was sacked zero times last week. Zero.

But sure, you still think that left tackle thing is super important.

Think about that - you'd draft a left tackle who doesn't make it on the field, and isn't missed?

honda522
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I have to admit I didn't understand why we took Moeaki.

Now he might be making more plays than Berry.

brdempsey69
09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Tell that to the Cincinatti Bengals, who have watched their prized left tackle never make it onto the field due to injury.

My point is that Okung is in NO WAY a safer bet that berry, and already berry is outperforming him by being in camp and being on the field.

You're literally saying you would rather have an injured holdout than a healthy starter.

Not a good example as Andre Smith is a fat lazy sloth while Okung does have a great work ethic and it's said he is returning to the practice field & will be playing soon. It can't be truthfully said that Okung would have been an injured holdout if the Chiefs had drafted him. I believe Okung would have been a real stud.

Notwithstanding, you are correct that the Chiefs Tackles are playing well enough thus far to this point to justify selecting Berry. Let's hope they keep it up & that Berry continues staying disciplined like he did last Sunday and keeps improving.

chief31
09-29-2010, 08:35 PM

Really?

REALLY?!

thank god you don't run the team.

You have to be right. You are acting way too sarcastic to be anything but right.

But I would draft for the long term. Not for three games.

I don't know why you seem so convinced that three games is all you need out of a draft pick, but you are way too confident to be wrong.

But, I have to ask, since we are talking about a LOT who has been oft-injured, is it acceptable to mention Bob Sanders, or not?

Probably not. But I thought I'd ask, to make sure.

Canada
09-30-2010, 10:25 AM
You have to be right. You are acting way too sarcastic to be anything but right.

But I would draft for the long term. Not for three games.

I don't know why you seem so convinced that three games is all you need out of a draft pick, but you are way too confident to be wrong.

But, I have to ask, since we are talking about a LOT who has been oft-injured, is it acceptable to mention Bob Sanders, or not?

Probably not. But I thought I'd ask, to make sure.

I like these posts where u r just as sarcastic while calling someone sarastic. Now I dont know whos right.

Hayvern
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I like these posts where u r just as sarcastic while calling someone sarastic. Now I dont know whos right.

I'm right, as usual.

Now if you are limiting the choices to just those two, then that is a different question.

Canada
09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm right, as usual.

Now if you are limiting the choices to just those two, then that is a different question.

I never doubted it for a second Vern!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
09-30-2010, 02:55 PM
:lol: I love this thread!

chief31
09-30-2010, 06:33 PM

:lol:

Very good point.

texaschief
10-01-2010, 02:48 AM
We needed a safety MUCH more than we needed a LT... just sayin.

CapitalT
10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I was wrong.

I thought the Chiefs had drafted a lot of talented players but I did not think they had adequately addressed the problems with the OL.

I think it's still a bit too early too tell for sure but it's obvious that Wiegmann and Lilja are making a huge difference.

I was wrong ... and I'm extremely happy that I was.

chief31
10-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I was wrong.

I thought the Chiefs had drafted a lot of talented players but I did not think they had adequately addressed the problems with the OL.

I think it's still a bit too early too tell for sure but it's obvious that Wiegmann and Lilja are making a huge difference.

I was wrong ... and I'm extremely happy that I was.

I was definitely wrong about Lilja.

I thought he was a weak run-blocker, due to the lack of run-blocking that he had to do in Indy. And I doubted his pass-blocking ability, as Manning required much less pocket time than other NFL QBs.

But he has definitely been making me eat those words so far.

However, I still don't trust Weigmann to be in the league in another year or two.

And, to this point, Brandon Albert and our NTs have been far better than they were last season.

Again, so far, it seems I was wrong in my judgement of the players we had on-board for those positions.

matthewschiefs
12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Anyone eles want to admit they were wrong now? I rember quite a few of people saying that we didn't have a good offseason.

4everchiefsfan25
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Anyone eles want to admit they were wrong now? I rember quite a few of people saying that we didn't have a good offseason.
I would like to say I was wrong because I thought we were only going to win 8 games, but i will take 10 or 11 wins :punk:

Hayvern
12-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Nope, because I am a stubborn SOB.

My problem with the off-season was not the players we got, it was the players we did not get.

Face it guys, Waters, Weigman, and Lilja are all a little long in the tooth for this game. We could in theory be right back where we were last season with the Offensive Line if we do not address it. We got lucky this year, but the line is really not that great still.

We will need to address the offensive line in a big way this year.

I also believe we do need to go get a real number one receiver. I thought we would use McCluster as a slot receiver more this year, but we haven't used him like I thought we would. We need a guy that can stretch out the offense. I am not saying McCluster was a bust, but ultimately, he did not have as much of an impact as Moecki, Berry, and even Lewis has.

So no, I am not ready to concede that our draft was all that great. I am looking for this team to be a dynasty for years to come.

Add to that, I don't believe that anyone REALLY believed that the Chiefs would win the division and go to the playoffs. I think we all HOPED and said we believed, but going from worse to first in one season, while not unheard of is very hard to do.

brdempsey69
12-27-2010, 12:56 PM

My problem with the off-season was not the players we got, it was the players we did not get.

Face it guys, Waters, Weigman, and Lilja are all a little long in the tooth for this game. We could in theory be right back where we were last season with the Offensive Line if we do not address it. We got lucky this year, but the line is really not that great still.

I also believe we do need to go get a real number one receiver. I thought we would use McCluster as a slot receiver more this year, but we haven't used him like I thought we would. We need a guy that can stretch out the offense. I am not saying McCluster was a bust, but ultimately, he did not have as much of an impact as Moecki, Berry, and even Lewis has.

So no, I am not ready to concede that our draft was all that great. I am looking for this team to be a dynasty for years to come.

Add to that, I don't believe that anyone REALLY believed that the Chiefs would win the division and go to the playoffs. I think we all HOPED and said we believed, but going from worse to first in one season, while not unheard of is very hard to do.

Rep'd. I agree with every bit of that about the O-Line. They must address the O-Line this offseason & get a WR opposite Bowe as they will play a much tougher schedule next season.

But I will also point out that the Chiefs will not be where they were in 2009 at the QB position. Cassel has settled in and become a sturdy commander & has much better pocket presence than he did in 2009. Still, it would be in the Chiefs best interest to address the O-Line to keep Cassel upright.

bigpoppachief
12-27-2010, 01:48 PM

NO WAY ! Eric Berry is showing why he is worth every penny

matthewschiefs
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM

So the fact that our defensive backfield is looking better and better is not a good thing? I get it we need to address o line. But there is no set order in witch you have to build a team. We did get lucky with our O Line. They might not have been great but they were good. You don't go from 4-12 to divison champions with a bad offseason or even a pretty good offseason.

70 chiefsfan70
12-27-2010, 07:47 PM

I did believe the Chiefs would win the division and make the playoffs! I just thought they would do it with a 9 and 7 record. I say we DID have a great off season, hope we can keep all our coaching staff.

Canada
12-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Really? People still don't think we had a good draft/offseason? Unbelieveable!! Maybe we could discuss it more during the playoff game!!

4everchiefsfan25
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Really? People still don't think we had a good draft/offseason? Unbelieveable!! Maybe we could discuss it more during the playoff game!!
I cant believe some people said that they wernt all that high on Eric Berry before the draft.:sign0104: s

Canada
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
I understand not wanting to pick a safety first pick, but how can anyone argue with the results there guys have put up. Moeaki, Lewis, McCluster, Berry. We are on the verge of an 11 win season and we are hosting a playoff game in two weeks. Not sure what else you could ask for out of 1 draft.

Chiefster
12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
I understand not wanting to pick a safety first pick, but how can anyone argue with the results there guys have put up. Moeaki, Lewis, McCluster, Berry. We are on the verge of an 11 win season and we are hosting a playoff game in two weeks. Not sure what else you could ask for out of 1 draft.

...This!

Our draft has showed up and played some ball! I'm as happy as I can be with them.

Bike
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I admit I was wwwwwrong about:

1. Cassel.
2. Berry
3. McCluster
4. Arenas
5. Moeki
6. Lewis

I thought we should rebuild from the inside out. But I was wwwwrong.
Pioli and company realized that we had some talent already in place - that they just needed to be coached.
Pioli and company realized that we were sorely lacking in team speed - and needed to be fixed numero uno.
Am I glad I was wrong?
You damn right!!!!
AFC West champs baby!

wilqb16
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM
However, I still don't trust Weigmann to be in the league in another year or two.

I hope the Chiefs don't either - isn't he like 38 years old?

4everchiefsfan25
12-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I hope the Chiefs don't either - isn't he like 38 years old?
Ya he is old but I think the Chiefs will beable to a C in the draft because Rudy already showed us last year that he really doesnt have what it takes to start at C in the NFL

texaschief
12-28-2010, 05:25 PM
yeah... it was ALL this past year's draft/offseason that got us to the playoffs and has NOTHING to do with the players that were already here who have finally had time to mature, right?

DJ, Bowe, Dorsey, Albert, Charles, Flowers, Carr, Hali, Jackson, Cassell, Edwards, etc...

The "empty cupboard" had ZERO influence on this year's success... I'm sure it was ALL McCluster and his 19 receptions over 10 games for less than 200 yards that put us over the top. Or perhaps it was Arenas and his 42 tkls and ZERO ints. Nope... I found it... it was Moeaki and his 500 receiving yards and 3 TDs combined with Asamoah's ZERO games started.

Hell, we could practically throw away Bowe's 1000+ receiving yards and 15 TDs or Charles' 218 rushing attempts and 1400 production yards.... Dorsey's 60 tkls, DJ's 116 tkls, 1 int, and 4 FF... Flowers' Pro Bowl production with 61 tkls, 2 ints, and 1 FF... probably don't need Cassell and his 3000 yds and 27 TDs and his 98.9 passer rating.

We should just trade them all away the way we did Pollard and his 111tkls and his 3 FF this season... oh wait... that's right... we DIDN'T trade him... he was released... STROKE OF GENIUS. Having Pollard next to Berry would've been SICK!

LOOK, I'm not saying that this past offseason wasn't a good one and didn't contribute to the success of this team. BUT, I think it had a LOT more to do with the coaching these players are finally receiving and the maturity and production of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players... oh, and not to mention the Chiefs had one of the easiest schedules in the league. There's a reason 13 teams before the Chiefs have made the leap from last place one season, to first place the next since 2000.... last place teams get the easiest schedules.

Get a grip.

#58ChiefsFan
12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
yeah... it was ALL this past year's draft/offseason that got us to the playoffs and has NOTHING to do with the players that were already here who have finally had time to mature, right?

DJ, Bowe, Dorsey, Albert, Charles, Flowers, Carr, Hali, Jackson, Cassell, Edwards, etc...

The "empty cupboard" had ZERO influence on this year's success... I'm sure it was ALL McCluster and his 19 receptions over 10 games for less than 200 yards that put us over the top. Or perhaps it was Arenas and his 42 tkls and ZERO ints. Nope... I found it... it was Moeaki and his 500 receiving yards and 3 TDs combined with Asamoah's ZERO games started.

Hell, we could practically throw away Bowe's 1000+ receiving yards and 15 TDs or Charles' 218 rushing attempts and 1400 production yards.... Dorsey's 60 tkls, DJ's 116 tkls, 1 int, and 4 FF... Flowers' Pro Bowl production with 61 tkls, 2 ints, and 1 FF... probably don't need Cassell and his 3000 yds and 27 TDs and his 98.9 passer rating.

We should just trade them all away the way we did Pollard and his 111tkls and his 3 FF this season... oh wait... that's right... we DIDN'T trade him... he was released... STROKE OF GENIUS. Having Pollard next to Berry would've been SICK!

LOOK, I'm not saying that this past offseason wasn't a good one and didn't contribute to the success of this team. BUT, I think it had a LOT more to do with the coaching these players are finally receiving and the maturity and production of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players... oh, and not to mention the Chiefs had one of the easiest schedules in the league. There's a reason 13 teams before the Chiefs have made the leap from last place one season, to first place the next since 2000.... last place teams get the easiest schedules.

Get a grip.

Not to be a downer but there is a ton of truth here.

Canada
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Get a grip.

Yeah, all those players you mentioned didnt need any help. I mean look how good they have been the last three years. We had some pretty easy schedules back then too.

I just want to be clear here though. You are saying we didnt have a good draft? I dont think anyone is crediting just the rookies, but they played a pretty active role in getting us where we are. Im not sure what you want out of the draft but if this past one wasnt good enough, then you need to go back to Madden because in real life, it does not get much better than this past year.

I know you are one of the guys who would have a complaint even if we won the SuperBowl so I dont expect that you would give them credit, but to say we did not have a good draft is just ridiculous.

4everchiefsfan25
12-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Get a grip.
Jackson???? I sure hope your not talking about Tyson Jackson because he hasnt done anything accept cashed that 60 million dollar check and has been sitting on the sidelines watch Shaun Smith play his position.

4everchiefsfan25
12-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Get a grip.
another thing... Pollard???? really? let me ask you something you have all those stats about Pollard but where is the stat of how many missed tackles he had? That dude never wanted to wrap up and I think that Pollard wouldn't be the starter it would have been Lewis anyway.

Big Daddy Tek
12-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Get a grip.

Not enough credit given to the rooks, Tex. You have some good points and obviously the schedule and maturity of the veterans helped but this draft was the biggest immediate boost that this franchise has ever seen.

Our two starting safeties were rookies from this draft class and Kendrick Lewis might be the best pick out of everybody.

You totally threw the importance of Moeaki out the window during your rant. He was arguably the most integral part of the outside running game and many experts have went as far as to say that he was the best blocking tight end in the AFC his rookie year! Not to mention that he came up with numerous 3rd down catches that kept drives alive and gave defenses something else to focus on.

Your wrong about Jon Asamoah too. He actually started week 8 against Buffalo. you probably didn't notice him because the Chiefs didn't miss a beat and they had their finest rushing day of the season with 274 yards on the ground. He will play for this team for the next 10 years.

Javier Arenas has been solid as a nickel corner and although he has gave up a few plays, he has given the Chiefs an upgrade from Maurice Leggett and he doesn't miss tackles...ever.

Dexter McCluster is probably the weak link in this draft class and that is really saying something. He is a great decoy and gave the Chiefs an all new dimension on offense.

Like all success stories, it took a team to get where the Chiefs are at now, but this draft class gave this squad a huge boost and I can't wait to see what they turn into.

texaschief
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, all those players you mentioned didnt need any help. I mean look how good they have been the last three years. We had some pretty easy schedules back then too.

I just want to be clear here though. You are saying we didnt have a good draft? I dont think anyone is crediting just the rookies, but they played a pretty active role in getting us where we are. Im not sure what you want out of the draft but if this past one wasnt good enough, then you need to go back to Madden because in real life, it does not get much better than this past year.

I know you are one of the guys who would have a complaint even if we won the SuperBowl so I dont expect that you would give them credit, but to say we did not have a good draft is just ridiculous.

Wait... you seriously think the 2010 draft is what put this team in the playoffs?

Do some research and tell me when else those players I mentioned combined in the same year to produce at the levels they have this year.

Seriously... add up the production from what this draft class has done this year... forget it... I'll do it for you... the rookies on this team include:

Offense:
Tervaris Johnson NA
Dexter McCluster 20rec 194yds 1TD
Verran Tucker 6rec 116yds 1TD
Tony Moeaki 46rec 539yds 3TD
Jon Asomoah NA

Combined for:
72rec 849yds and 5 TDs

Defense:
Cory Greenwood 11tks
Cameron Sheffield NA
Javier Arenas 42tks 2FF
Eric Berry 85tks 1FF 4INT
Kendrick Lewis 27tks 1FF 3INT

Combined for 165tks 4FF and 7INT

So, again, what you're saying is that production is what put us over the top? That doesn't seem logical considering Pollard in 2008 had 98tks 3FF and 1INT, while Page had 85tks 2FF and 4INT. Those two players alone combined for 183tks and 5INT with 5FF.

So, without adding the production of the other players on the 2008 defense who are now gone, the Chiefs LOST a combined 18tks and 1FF while ONLY gaining 2 INTs.

So... using basic math skills and common sense, one can see that the transition from Pollard/Page to this incoming class of rookies has actually LOST the Chiefs some production... unless you're basing the success on net gain in INTs.

*I will say that I'm happier with Berry at the safety position compared to Page, but only because he has a MUCH bigger upside. He's going to mature into the position and he's going to wreak havoc in our secondary for years. However, it wasn't necessarily a position of need until Haley/Pioli got rid of comparable production and that/those safety picks could've been used to fix the offensive line.

Let's go to the offensive side now. 72rec 849yds and 5 TDs... Dwayne Bowe... BY HIMSELF had 5 less receptions, 200 MORE yards and 3 TIMES as many TDs... The Chiefs could've got that much production from another top pick WR. Had the Chiefs not created a need by getting rid of both safeties, thus needing to use a top pick for Berry, they could've drafted Dez Bryant who would've taken care of return duties AND thrown up production nearly equal (45rec 561yds 6TDS) to that of the 5 rookies mentioned above... AS WELL AS given the Chiefs a solid #2/#1 across from Bowe while also freeing up the picks we spent on McCluster and Arenas.

So again, before anointing this draft class as the greatest thing to ever happen to Kansas City, maybe we should begin talking about the fruits that the 2008 draft class is starting to produce while trying to do everything we can to forget about the epic failure the 2009 draft class was. This 2010 class is going to need a couple years to evaluate. This class isn't even close to being able to hold the 2008 classes jock.

Again, it's not that I think this was a bad draft... I just think y'all are giving the credit for this year's success to the wrong group of players just because they're the newest additions.

Canada
12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh, and here I thought it was a team sport. I didnt know that the group that was out on the field this season couldn't possibly make each other better. Im not gonna argue this because its ridiculous. Our team is vastly improved this season. I think its a combination of veterans improving, rookies performing well and coaching staff getting the most out of the players but to say we did not have a good draft is just looking for a reason to complain!!

matthewschiefs
12-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Wait... you seriously think the 2010 draft is what put this team in the playoffs?

Do some research and tell me when else those players I mentioned combined in the same year to produce at the levels they have this year.

Seriously... add up the production from what this draft class has done this year... forget it... I'll do it for you... the rookies on this team include:

Offense:
Tervaris Johnson NA
Dexter McCluster 20rec 194yds 1TD
Verran Tucker 6rec 116yds 1TD
Tony Moeaki 46rec 539yds 3TD
Jon Asomoah NA

Combined for:
72rec 849yds and 5 TDs

Defense:
Cory Greenwood 11tks
Cameron Sheffield NA
Javier Arenas 42tks 2FF
Eric Berry 85tks 1FF 4INT
Kendrick Lewis 27tks 1FF 3INT

Combined for 165tks 4FF and 7INT

So, again, what you're saying is that production is what put us over the top? That doesn't seem logical considering Pollard in 2008 had 98tks 3FF and 1INT, while Page had 85tks 2FF and 4INT. Those two players alone combined for 183tks and 5INT with 5FF.

So, without adding the production of the other players on the 2008 defense who are now gone, the Chiefs LOST a combined 18tks and 1FF while ONLY gaining 2 INTs.

So... using basic math skills and common sense, one can see that the transition from Pollard/Page to this incoming class of rookies has actually LOST the Chiefs some production... unless you're basing the success on net gain in INTs.

*I will say that I'm happier with Berry at the safety position compared to Page, but only because he has a MUCH bigger upside. He's going to mature into the position and he's going to wreak havoc in our secondary for years. However, it wasn't necessarily a position of need until Haley/Pioli got rid of comparable production and that/those safety picks could've been used to fix the offensive line.

Let's go to the offensive side now. 72rec 849yds and 5 TDs... Dwayne Bowe... BY HIMSELF had 5 less receptions, 200 MORE yards and 3 TIMES as many TDs... The Chiefs could've got that much production from another top pick WR. Had the Chiefs not created a need by getting rid of both safeties, thus needing to use a top pick for Berry, they could've drafted Dez Bryant who would've taken care of return duties AND thrown up production nearly equal (45rec 561yds 6TDS) to that of the 5 rookies mentioned above... AS WELL AS given the Chiefs a solid #2/#1 across from Bowe while also freeing up the picks we spent on McCluster and Arenas.

So again, before anointing this draft class as the greatest thing to ever happen to Kansas City, maybe we should begin talking about the fruits that the 2008 draft class is starting to produce while trying to do everything we can to forget about the epic failure the 2009 draft class was. This 2010 class is going to need a couple years to evaluate. This class isn't even close to being able to hold the 2008 classes jock.

Again, it's not that I think this was a bad draft... I just think y'all are giving the credit for this year's success to the wrong group of players just because they're the newest additions.

If you look at the numbers Tony M has had a better rookie season then Tony G. I think that Tony G guy worked out well for us. No one has said that they are the only reasons that this team has been so much better. But without the draft class and our offseason pick up we would NOT be where we are now. You don't just go from 4-12 to divison champs without haveing a pretty good offseason and drafts.

Canada
12-28-2010, 07:17 PM

I don't reacall saying that at all.

I just want to be clear here though. You are saying we didnt have a good draft? I dont think anyone is crediting just the rookies, but they played a pretty active role in getting us where we are.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/12/59.jpg

70 chiefsfan70
12-29-2010, 08:38 AM
I give credit mostly to the leadership of this team, that includes coaches and players, with some of those players being rookies, if I remember right nearly all of our draft picks were team captains, and you don't get that title for Christmas.

Last year we found ways to loose several games. We were a better team then our record showed ,just were lacking the leadership. The TEAM on this team is far better then last year.

I love the draft, it helped piece the puzzle more then I could have imagined.

N TX Dave
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I give credit mostly to the leadership of this team, that includes coaches and players, with some of those players being rookies, if I remember right nearly all of our draft picks were team captains, and you don't get that title for Christmas.

Last year we found ways to loose several games. We were a better team then our record showed ,just were lacking the leadership. The TEAM on this team is far better then last year.

I think you hit the nail on the head everyone of this years rookies were team captians and they brought the team concept to this team and I think that is a big difference in this years team from last years team. The rookies made the vets better because they showed them how to be team players as well as all the new team speed they brought which is something you need in the NFL nowdays.

Seek
12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Lewis, Berry and Arenas have beeh huge impacts in the secondary. They play a very big roll in the turn around.

4everchiefsfan25
12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

I agree but also I believe last year we lacked the mental toughness that this team has this year.

Chiefster
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I love this thread!

4everchiefsfan25
12-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I love this thread!
No I love this thread :D :efpge:

Chiefster
12-29-2010, 04:01 PM
No I love this thread :D :efpge:

Ok, we both do! :lol:

matthewschiefs
12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok, we both do! :lol:

I started this thread and i get to decided who loves this thread. Bidding starts at 100 millions dollars. :D

Seek
12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
I started this thread and i get to decided who loves this thread. Bidding starts at 100 millions dollars. :D

This thread sucks now.

matthewschiefs
12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
This thread sucks now.

Oh good bidding on that starts at 200 million. :D

4everchiefsfan25
12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
:lol:

chief31
12-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Ya he is old but I think the Chiefs will beable to a C in the draft because Rudy already showed us last year that he really doesnt have what it takes to start at C in the NFL

Alot of players showed us last season, that they didn't have what it takes. But alot of them are showing something different this year, with the coaching additions.

They have Niswanger on the team still. And, if they feel that they can do for him, what they did for so many other players this year, then Rudy may be a surprise later on.

LOOK, I'm not saying that this past offseason wasn't a good one and didn't contribute to the success of this team.

I just want to be clear here though. You are saying we didnt have a good draft?

Canada, I think you missed the line above. (Quoted TC on it.)

TC was clearly overreacting, suggesting that everyone was giving all credit to the rookies.

Beyond that point, I think you are both on the same track, that The 2010 draft was a good one for The Chiefs.

Maybe just a ways off on how good that class has been.

this draft was the biggest immediate boost that this franchise has ever seen.

Quite arguable.

I would have to say that the coaching additions made the biggest impact.

But I am not mad at the draftees either.

Big Daddy Tek
12-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I should have been more specific. I was talking about the biggest immediate boost from a rookie class.

That one is not very arguable.

4everchiefsfan25
12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Alot of players showed us last season, that they didn't have what it takes. But alot of them are showing something different this year, with the coaching additions.

They have Niswanger on the team still. And, if they feel that they can do for him, what they did for so many other players this year, then Rudy may be a surprise later on.

Canada, I think you missed the line above. (Quoted TC on it.)

TC was clearly overreacting, suggesting that everyone was giving all credit to the rookies.

Beyond that point, I think you are both on the same track, that The 2010 draft was a good one for The Chiefs.

Maybe just a ways off on how good that class has been.

Quite arguable.

I would have to say that the coaching additions made the biggest impact.

But I am not mad at the draftees either.
During spring training camp Weigmann and Niswanger were in a position battle and Niswanger lost. So I think the coaches have already decided to go with someone else at the center position next year. Thats my opinion because if they thought Niswanger had a lot of potentiol I really doubt that they would have Wiegman out there,

wilqb16
12-30-2010, 02:55 PM
During spring training camp Weigmann and Niswanger were in a position battle and Niswanger lost. So I think the coaches have already decided to go with someone else at the center position next year. Thats my opinion because if they thought Niswanger had a lot of potentiol I really doubt that they would have Wiegman out there,

True dat!

I think Niswanger is guy who is OK as a reserve because he can play center and both guard spots but I don't think he is the longterm answer.

The good news is that you usually can get a quality center in the later rounds of the draft. Of course, that would mean we'd have to keep Wiegmann on for another year since the center has to be experienced since he typically makes the line calls.

chief31
12-31-2010, 12:12 AM

That is entirely possible.

But it is also possible that the coaching staff thought that they had enough project-players already, and wanted to go with the guy who needed the least amount of individual tutoring.

But I am sure that we will see what the staff thinks of Rudy's potential during this coming off-season.

4everchiefsfan25
12-31-2010, 02:37 PM
That is entirely possible.

But it is also possible that the coaching staff thought that they had enough project-players already, and wanted to go with the guy who needed the least amount of individual tutoring.

But I am sure that we will see what the staff thinks of Rudy's potential during this coming off-season.
I mean im all for Rudy stepping his game up and becoming a good starter next year thats just one less hole that we need to fill in the draft and free agency next year but who knows only time will tell.

g8rb8t
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
I will admit that I was wrong. VERY WRONG. I'm still not happy about giving a safety that much money as a rookie.

But one of the few times that I'm very happy that I was wrong.

kcvet
12-31-2010, 03:44 PM
and now it could be payoff time

YouTube - 2010 Kansas City Chiefs (RTC Holiday Contest Winner)