PDA

View Full Version : 18 game season a done deal

kilobytes
09-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Apparently it is a done deal.

"INDIANAPOLIS -- Bill Polian says the 18-game NFL season is a done deal.

During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts' president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.

Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian said, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but they haven't said a decision has been made."

I do want more games in a season because I think it is way too short compared to other sports but records will be too easy to break now.

josh1971
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, not sure I like an 18 game season.

#58ChiefsFan
09-27-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm not a big fan of an 18 game season either. I hate baseball because they play too many games. They have already had to make the last game of the year a divisional game to drum up "interest".

Now you can add another game that teams like Bill Polians Colts will sit there starters before the playoffs because they will be meaningless.

#58ChiefsFan
09-27-2010, 09:53 PM

During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts' president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.

Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian said, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but they haven't said a decision has been made."

I do want more games in a season because I think it is way too short compared to other sports but records will be too easy to break now.

Once we start making the playoffs your wish shall be granted:chiefs:

matthewschiefs
09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Just more games for the chiefs to WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIC J
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I hope so. 4 preseason games sucks!

Big Daddy Tek
09-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Real bad move. I would have to write a very lengthy column to explain all of the reasons why, but all in all, this is a very selfish move by the owners.

hometeam
09-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I agree with most sentiments in this thread. Talent pool will be diminished, longer season = more injurys = shorter careers for great players.

16 weeks is perfect. 18 game season sucks donkey balls.

tornadospotter
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Real bad move. I would have to write a very lengthy column to explain all of the reasons why, but all in all, this is a very selfish move by the owners.
I agree, the season is long enough for the wear and tear of players, the will most certainly need to increase roster size, the upside of that, means players not cut, and maybe develop threw the season, and will get their chance to make it in the NFL.

KristofLaw
09-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Why not increase it to a 35 - 40 game schedule?!? I can't stand the off-season... no football sucks!!!

tornadospotter
09-28-2010, 02:39 AM
By the time you are a NFL player, you have already subject your body to be abused for a long time, There is no way you can add on more games to the season, unless you increase the number of players on your team. That means pay out more money for players. I know that the NFL game that we watch now is not near as long, as the games of old. Today, in this age of the NFL, games are shorter. But the physical strain on the Play on the field of play, will tire out and drop ,will not

PawnshopMarimba
09-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Ehhh.. how about 4 preseason games, 18 regular season games, and increase the team rosters from 53 to a number closer to 60? I like the idea of seeing more regular season football, but not at the cost of sacrificing the in game evaluation period that pre-season is.

Keeping more players on the team is going to cost more money, so a rookie contract cap might also be helpful to install.

captainamerica
09-28-2010, 04:56 AM
The schedule right now is fair. The way it's set up is fair and keeps things interesting. Adding more games is just screwing up a system that isn't broke. Sure 4 preseason games may seem like a lot, but they're very important in evaluating rookies and players on the fringe. Taking that away is taking away potential opportunities for unknown underdogs. Plus the more games, means the more players there are getting hurt. I love football and I love watching football, but even I am adamantly opposed to adding more games to the schedule.

wildcat
09-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Horrible idea. Every record for a single season will be broken in no time, making every current record in the books irrelevant. It will diminish the history of the NFL.

NFL running backs are already run to the ground by the time they turn 30. Add an extra 40-50 carries a season for featured backs, and their careers are going to be cut even shorter. Every team will be forced to move to running back by committee.

The key to winning in the NFL will become keeping your team healthy, not going all out and trying to win games. Who cares if you make the playoffs if half of your team is on the IR list?

The only real benefit that will be felt will be in the bank accounts of the owners.

N TX Dave
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Horrible idea. Every record for a single season will be broken in no time, making every current record in the books irrelevant. It will diminish the history of the NFL.

NFL running backs are already run to the ground by the time they turn 30. Add an extra 40-50 carries a season for featured backs, and their careers are going to be cut even shorter. Every team will be forced to move to running back by committee.

The key to winning in the NFL will become keeping your team healthy, not going all out and trying to win games. Who cares if you make the playoffs if half of your team is on the IR list?

The only real benefit that will be felt will be in the bank accounts of the owners.

I am sure the same arguments were said back in '78 when the season was taken from 14 to 16. How many old records are still out there from before 1978 not many I am sure? I am not sure that I like the idea either but just because records will be broken is not reason because they will be broken anyhow. I fell that if it does become 18 game the rosters will have to increase and I also think a rookie cap will be necessary. Anyhow the players have to agree to it first in the CBA.

pbatrucker
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree, real bad move.

bwilliams
09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
It's amazing how little support there is for a 18-game season. Even among us, people who like football enough to spend time talking about it online.

Right now, we get 25 weeks of football. 4 preseason games, 17 regular season games, and 4 weeks of postseason. Plus draft weekend, pro bowl, and training camp. Plus all the college games.

As much as I love football, I don't need anymore football. Labor Day to March Madness is the perfect football season.

SIC J
09-28-2010, 12:12 PM
All you guys complaining that its too much wear and tear on players and blah blah blah...... The way I see it, maybe its time for all these over-paid players to start EARNING their paychecks!!!

I think all these NFL, NBA, MLB, etc players get paid waaaaaay too much to begin with. If they're crying about playing 2 more games, then take a pay cut and sit your a$$ on the bench or go find a 9 to 5 job.

hometeam
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Truth is it will diminish the QUALITY of the games we are watching, has nothing to do with them earning a paycheck.

Hayvern
09-28-2010, 01:09 PM
All you guys complaining that its too much wear and tear on players and blah blah blah...... The way I see it, maybe its time for all these over-paid players to start EARNING their paychecks!!!

I think all these NFL, NBA, MLB, etc players get paid waaaaaay too much to begin with. If they're crying about playing 2 more games, then take a pay cut and sit your a$$ on the bench or go find a 9 to 5 job.

I often disagree with Sic J, but in this case I agree with him. I think an 18 game season is alright. The players are complaining about an 18 game season, but they play 4 preseason games now that mean nothing and in reality only COST money. Nobody watches them, they don't mean anything and are hardly even televised.

Yeah, it allows the teams to see what they have a real world game environment, but I think these guys know already who is and who is not going to make the team.

Let's go to 18 games, but no more. We really cannot have any more games than that though.

Digitech
09-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Ah, now it will only be a few years before the records set under the old season length start to be broken because of the added games.

Then, there will be lots of discussion about how quarterback X and running back Y are the GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME!!1! because of their record breaking seasons.

kilobytes
09-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Once again I completely agree with you!

chief31
09-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't like the idea of adding games. I feel like the season length is currently perfect.

And as for the "overpaid" players, we are the one's paying them. We are making the NFL so much money that the players have to get a share of it.

If those players weren't earning their paychecks, then we wouldn't be watching.

The fact that the public is willing to funnel so much money to The NFL is a guarantee that the players are earning their money by providing a form of entertainment that the public is willing to pay certain prices for.

Or maybe we are all paying just to see what team owners are capable of making others do to gat some money.

Me? I want whatever money I spend on The NFL to go to the players that are actually entertaining me.

Two more games only means fewer of the elite talents will be healthy come playoff time to me.

matthewschiefs
09-28-2010, 11:49 PM

I agree. Most people have to deal with stuff from there employer that they don't like. It happens in any industry in any line of work. There no diffrent then any of the rest of us.

I don't think that 18 games is as big of a deal that it's made out to be but I don't no if it will make the football worse in the playoffs. I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

SIC J
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
I agree. Most people have to deal with stuff from there employer that they don't like. It happens in any industry in any line of work. There no diffrent then any of the rest of us.

I don't think that 18 games is as big of a deal that it's made out to be but I don't no if it will make the football worse in the playoffs. I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

Aren't they trying to make it so that its 8 teams per a division to make the playoffs instead of 6 as well???

Big Daddy Tek
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM

I dont mean to disrespect you, but that is a very ignorant post in my opinion. Atleast when you talk about NFL players.

Over 900 NFL players have been put on Injured reserve in the past 2 years. Almost 500, last year alone! (http://backseatfan.com/2009/08/2009-nfl-season-players-on-injured-reserve/) Yes you read that correctly. That means that there bodies were not functional enough to run, or catch, or lift, or jump for the next 3 to 4 months. If that happened to you, you and your family would really go through hard times. Especially if you couldn't work.

But what if you knew that this could happen? You would definitely request more than you are making now wouldn't you?

These guys spend hours in hot tubs and Ice tubs just to get healthy enough to do it all over again on Sunday. Many end up with injury after injury and never get to even fully experience their dream, but end up with lifelong battles with pain.

I find it incredibly announing when I hear people acting like these guys should be getting paid 50K per year like they do.

There is no such thing as "over paid." A business makes a certain amount of money and that money is distributed throughout it's employees. The most successful employees make the most. Cut and dry, black and white.

Expect in this case, the money is extremely large and the stakes are extremely high.

When a player gets paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life, everybody says that that was the risk that he took to play the game. Is there a price tag on that? Is that guy still overpaid in your book? Or are you happy that you sell tires monday through friday (example) instead of being carted off of the field on a stretcher.

The life expectancy for you and me is 78 years old. The life expectancy for NFL players is a startling 53 to 58 years old depending on the position that they played. (http://http://www.seattlepi.com/football/362412_nflhealth09.html)

Do they make alot of money? Heck yeah. But you have to realize that it is very temporary if your looking at it in the grand scale of life.

What is 3.5 years? Which is the average career of a NFL running back. You better make as much as you possibly can, while you can buddy.

With the amount of money that enters the league, it is only right that these players receive it. And just because they do, does not make it OK to make ther living situation any worse.

This is just one of the many reasons why 18 games is a bad idea. Your argument of "come and work 9 to 5 then" just doesn't cut it for me.

captainamerica
09-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Aren't they trying to make it so that its 8 teams per a division to make the playoffs instead of 6 as well???
That seems like a terrible idea. I hope that doesn't end up happening. What makes me angry is that these last few seasons have all been very exciting. Playoff spots were still up for grabs in the last week of the season and all the games have been pretty exciting for the most part. The system in place right now, isn't broke. Why in the hell are they trying to fix it? Why are they trying to tinker with something, that doesn't need tinkering?

Chiefster
09-29-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't like the idea of adding games. I feel like the season length is currently perfect.

And as for the "overpaid" players, we are the one's paying them. We are making the NFL so much money that the players have to get a share of it.

If those players weren't earning their paychecks, then we wouldn't be watching.

The fact that the public is willing to funnel so much money to The NFL is a guarantee that the players are earning their money by providing a form of entertainment that the public is willing to pay certain prices for.

Or maybe we are all paying just to see what team owners are capable of making others do to gat some money.

Me? I want whatever money I spend on The NFL to go to the players that are actually entertaining me.

Two more games only means fewer of the elite talents will be healthy come playoff time to me.

...This!

SIC J
09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I dont mean to disrespect you, but that is a very ignorant post in my opinion. Atleast when you talk about NFL players.

Over 900 NFL players have been put on Injured reserve in the past 2 years. Almost 500, last year alone! (http://backseatfan.com/2009/08/2009-nfl-season-players-on-injured-reserve/) Yes you read that correctly. That means that there bodies were not functional enough to run, or catch, or lift, or jump for the next 3 to 4 months. If that happened to you, you and your family would really go through hard times. Especially if you couldn't work.

But what if you knew that this could happen? You would definitely request more than you are making now wouldn't you?

These guys spend hours in hot tubs and Ice tubs just to get healthy enough to do it all over again on Sunday. Many end up with injury after injury and never get to even fully experience their dream, but end up with lifelong battles with pain.

I find it incredibly announing when I hear people acting like these guys should be getting paid 50K per year like they do.

There is no such thing as "over paid." A business makes a certain amount of money and that money is distributed throughout it's employees. The most successful employees make the most. Cut and dry, black and white.

Expect in this case, the money is extremely large and the stakes are extremely high.

When a player gets paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life, everybody says that that was the risk that he took to play the game. Is there a price tag on that? Is that guy still overpaid in your book? Or are you happy that you sell tires monday through friday (example) instead of being carted off of the field on a stretcher.

The life expectancy for you and me is 78 years old. The life expectancy for NFL players is a startling 53 to 58 years old depending on the position that they played. (http://http://www.seattlepi.com/football/362412_nflhealth09.html)

Do they make alot of money? Heck yeah. But you have to realize that it is very temporary if your looking at it in the grand scale of life.

What is 3.5 years? Which is the average career of a NFL running back. You better make as much as you possibly can, while you can buddy.

With the amount of money that enters the league, it is only right that these players receive it. And just because they do, does not make it OK to make ther living situation any worse.

This is just one of the many reasons why 18 games is a bad idea. Your argument of "come and work 9 to 5 then" just doesn't cut it for me.

Ok lets get the facts straight. It has been 900 in the last 3 years, not 2. And it was 297 players in 2009, not 500. I have also heard that some players who are not even injured get put on IR to make room on the roster to fill other positions. As I said, I don't know if its true but I seriously don't doubt it doesn't happen.

And the argument with them going through extreme risks and what not. Well so do I! I ride motorcycles for a living, its a LOT more risky than football, and I don't get paid even close to what they do. Hell, I do MMA training just to keep in shape and I will tell you right now that the training I do is just as extreme if not more extreme than what NFL players do. And that was told to me by a trainer who is trained by the same guy who trains L. Tomlinson (who also does MMA training). And I'm not getting paid to do that either. Just this past March at a show, I crashed and tore my meniscus. I still haven't gotten surgery and still continue with what I gotta do to support my family, and that includes riding still. For the damage I do to my bikes/body and the risk I take, I get waaaaay underpaid.

That argument might work against the "average" person, but for someone like me, it doesn't. But at the same time, I understand what you're saying. But I still feel that they are over-paid.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2010, 12:13 PM

There are a couple of your arguments that don't cut it for me.

1 The risk factor. I no that playing football is a risk and takes a toll of your body. I played high school ball messed up my foot and still feel the effects on that. And I never played at the level of an NFL player. I get it theres a risk. But NFL players going into there 1st year get paid more then a solder that is deployed. That seems a little backwards to me.

2. The argument that the average career is so short. They can't do anything after football?

3 The lifespan of nfl players is hurt by players who abused steriods and other drugs and died in there early 40s late 30s. It's not they got hurt and died because they played football they died because they abused drugs.

Canada
09-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Plus they get free education in college...there should be plenty of post career opportunities

kilobytes
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Ok lets get the facts straight. It has been 900 in the last 3 years, not 2. And it was 297 players in 2009, not 500. I have also heard that some players who are not even injured get put on IR to make room on the roster to fill other positions. As I said, I don't know if its true but I seriously don't doubt it doesn't happen.

And the argument with them going through extreme risks and what not. Well so do I! I ride motorcycles for a living, its a LOT more risky than football, and I don't get paid even close to what they do. Hell, I do MMA training just to keep in shape and I will tell you right now that the training I do is just as extreme if not more extreme than what NFL players do. And that was told to me by a trainer who is trained by the same guy who trains L. Tomlinson (who also does MMA training). And I'm not getting paid to do that either. Just this past March at a show, I crashed and tore my meniscus. I still haven't gotten surgery and still continue with what I gotta do to support my family, and that includes riding still. For the damage I do to my bikes/body and the risk I take, I get waaaaay underpaid.

That argument might work against the "average" person, but for someone like me, it doesn't. But at the same time, I understand what you're saying. But I still feel that they are over-paid.

Yep I was about to bring up that point too. There are WAY more dangerous jobs out there and they don't get paid anywhere near these guys. I don't think NFL players should be paid less than 100k but they are overpaid. I think their salary should be no more than a million dollars.

chief31
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM
If you think NFL players are overpaid, then why do you insist upon continuing to overpay them?

Each time you pay a little extra for the cable package that includes NFL Network, you are paying the players. Every time you buy any jerseys, or other NFL gear, you are paying the players.

If you are a fan of The NFL and put any money at all into it, then you are the reason that the players are paid as highly as they are.

They are not overpaid. They are paid according to what we pay for them. The amounts that team owners makes suggests that the players may be underpaid.

hometeam
09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Its simple.

THE QUALITY OF THE PLAY WILL BE DIMINISHED!

kilobytes
09-30-2010, 12:24 AM
If you think NFL players are overpaid, then why do you insist upon continuing to overpay them?

Each time you pay a little extra for the cable package that includes NFL Network, you are paying the players. Every time you buy any jerseys, or other NFL gear, you are paying the players.

If you are a fan of The NFL and put any money at all into it, then you are the reason that the players are paid as highly as they are.

They are not overpaid. They are paid according to what we pay for them. The amounts that team owners makes suggests that the players may be underpaid.
Well then I'm not paying them a penny anyway. I don't buy anything NFL as I have no reason to.

They are still overpaid. It's what they do as a profession, not how they get the money.

SIC J
09-30-2010, 01:08 AM

Well good thing I don't the little extra cable package and never paid full price for a jersey, shoes, or ticket to the game.

I'm not over-paying anyone. haha!

N TX Dave
09-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Its simple.

THE QUALITY OF THE PLAY WILL BE DIMINISHED!

Another argument used when they went from 14 to 16 games. I just don't see that much difference they will cut 2 games out of preseason and add them to the regular season. Again I think if they do go to 18 games they will need to raise the roster size.

:meow: :efpge:

Chiefster
09-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Another argument used when they went from 14 to 16 games. I just don't see that much difference they will cut 2 games out of preseason and add them to the regular season. Again I think if they do go to 18 games they will need to raise the roster size.

:meow: :efpge:

Agreed! I think going from a fifty-three man to a sixty-three man roster would be fair. :D

Hayvern
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Agreed! I think going from a fifty-three man to a sixty-three man roster would be fair. :D

That is the kind of negotiation that they have to work out. It is not a bad idea, especially if the owners also get a rookie salary cap, something else I think we can all agree that they need to have.

When you get right down to it, pre-season games are high-risk - low-reward games. While most of the team only plays half the game generally, an injury in a pre-season game is still an injury, and for what? Nothing.

I think the owners and the commissioner would rather have 18 regular season games and two pre-season games, just to lend relevance to those games.

Seek
09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I am fine with an 18 games season as long as they cut the pre-season down to 2. I personally hate wasting the money on Pre-season tickets to watch guys try out for other teams.

The thing I think will be a problem is this will most likely shorten cut days down two weeks. They will need to expand the roster, active roster and or practice squad.

CapitalT
09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
I guess we're gonna get an 18 game season but I'm not in favor of it.

In a longer season more players will have season ending injuries. I think it is more interesting to follow the same group of players for a season. A longer season will disrupt the continuity of a team because of these season ending injuries.

It would also, yet again, screw up record comparisons from a historical stand point. This is more important to me than a couple of extra games a year.

IMO - This is being done for money not for the good of the game.

AussieChiefsFan
10-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Thats peobably one of the biggest problems. Back in the early decades of the league there were only like 12 games and even then some amazing players could come close to 2000 yards but now it won't be so difficult.