PDA

View Full Version : Texans fan here

HTexRyan
10-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Starting off, I would first like to say I've always had alot of respect for your franchise and am glad to see y'all are beginning to turn things around again. I began paying closer attention to your team once you acquired Jamaal Charles, a hometown guy who i've followed since his high school days at Memorial High School when he would run for 300+ yards on my alma mater.

However, outside of what he is doing and for the most part what the offense is starting to accomplish, i know next to nothing about your defense and your coaching philosophies outside of catching a slight peak of the end of your matchup with Indy over the weekend(wished you would've pulled it out). What should the Texans expect to see defensively when you head down to Reliant this Sunday? Will your offense continue with the traditional running style you have been succeeding with or take your chances with Cassell and attack one of the most abysmal pass defenses in league history?

In all honesty, i'd love to say what you should expect out of the Texans, but even i really do not know. It all begins with deciding which team that we are going to field, the dominant offensive juggernaut, or the charmin ultra soft offense we have fielded against the Giants and the Cowboys. After leading the league in passing last year, Schaub has began this year being completely erratic with the football, making bad reads, holding on for too long, and often being timid and lacking confidence in the pocket. Andre Johnson still is not back at full strength, but even not at full strength he will still be the main guy you have to gameplan for due to his big play ability. Arian Foster carried the team on his back up to this past Sunday, in which the Giants dominated our offensive line and took away all of our cutback lanes which our zone blocking scheme relies on, therefore shutting him down.

Defensively, we are fielding the worst pass defense in the league and if it continues at the rate that it is, will go down as the worst in the history of the NFL by over 40 yards per game. We are starting a rookie CB who has been nothing short of burnt toast, and a 2nd year guy who shows flashes of good things, but is also very inconsistent. You all know Bernard Pollard, who i'm glad you cut, because he has been nothing but a playmaker and a big hitter for us since he got here, but his passing coverage isn't exactly brilliant, and can be vulnerable due to poor CB play. Our FS position hasn't been figured out yet, as we have been bouncing back and forth between an over the hill guy in Eugene Wilson with stone hands, and a playmaker who is playing his first full season and still has alot to learn in Troy Nolan.

Our LBs are the best part of our defense, in which we have two pro bowlers anchoring a couple of the spots in Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing. Cushing in his first game back last week was the only real bright spot of our ugly loss, and was still making plenty of plays. The middle of our field is solidified and the only real strength of this defense. As far as our d-line goes, if you double up on Mario Williams, you stop any pass rush we may have. We also have Antonio Smith who can also make a sack here and there when he wants to try, but our inconsistent pass rush does not really help out a young and struggling secondary. Our run defense is pretty stout for the most part, but that is also added to the fact that no team to this point in the season has found a point in running the ball when our secondary is that bad.

As far as my predictions for the game goes, i fully expect Matt Cassel to look like a Hall of Famer against our secondary, and i'm hoping that we can contain Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones at all costs. Our team will be forced to play well as i really don't think we'll put up 3 horrendous home performances in a row, but with this team you just never know. The blatant homer in me will pick the final score as

Chiefs-17
Texans-20

Let's hope for an injury free, hard fought game, and good luck the rest of the season as you take on a couple more of our division foes in Tennessee and Jacksonville! :bananen_smilies046:

stricken721
10-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the Crowd. I guess you must be from Houston? If so hello to my fellow Houstonian as well! :D :chiefs:

Good luck to the Texans but I gotta say though that I think the boys in red and gold will be walking away with the victory. :yahoo:

HTexRyan
10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the Crowd. I guess you must be from Houston? If so hello to my fellow Houstonian as well! :D :chiefs:

Good luck to the Texans but I gotta say though that I think the boys in red and gold will be walking away with the victory. :yahoo:

I'm about an hour and a half away from Houston, i live in Beaumont.

stricken721
10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm about an hour and a half away from Houston, i live in Beaumont.

Oh that's cool. I'm 20 miles south of Houston in Webster. (Where NASA is)

Chiefster
10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the "Crowd"!

Old Texan's vs the New Texan's; always a classic match-up!

Best of luck, and here's to a hard fought, injury free game!

Chiefs-21

Texans-14

Three7s
10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Welcome, and as you requested, I can tell you a bit about the Chiefs. Right now, the biggest thing going with us is our defense. Our Run D has been stout so far and our pass D has been adequate.

We aren't getting as many turnovers as I'd like, but I'm sure they'll come eventually. Our pass rush comes from Hali and that's about it. The line can get pressure, but they rarely get to the QB.

Our offense is all about running the football. I know that the Texans secondary is terrible, and the reason we got rid of Pollard is because he was just awful in coverage. However, despite that, I fully expect Cassel to make your secondary look like hall of famers.

Something has to give in this matchup, good running game vs good run defense, bad passing game vs bad pass defense. All in all, I think our defense is in for a tougher matchup than we had against the Colts. The Colts weren't balanced, so we played nickel the whole time. No way we can do that against the Texans.

Anyway, good luck to both teams!

matthewschiefs
10-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Welcome

I think we have the better D right now. If we can contain Andre Johson then I think you guys are going to have problems putting points on the board.

I think for the Chiefs to win this is going to have to be a defensive struggle. If it's a shootout I think the texans will have the upper hand.

AussieChiefsFan
10-13-2010, 05:12 AM
welcome!

chiefnut
10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
this match up is more strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness while against the colts is was weakness vs strength so this too should be quite the battle. the key will be the lines, can our O line establish a solid running game and can our D line contain your running game. i think this one is decided in the trenches more than on the arms of the QB.
CHIEFS-19
texans-17

yashi
10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Our run defense is 3rd in the league per carry, so Foster may have some trouble getting anything going, similar to last week against the Giants. I do worry about Schaub and that passing game, especially since it sounds like Andre Johnson is going to be healthy this week, but Schaub may find himself running for his life from Tamba Hali, who is having a breakout season. I know your left tackle is out, so he's probably licking his chops.

Brandon Flowers is a absolute shutdown corner, but Johnson is way too big and fast, so I'm not sure how Flowers will do, assuming Johnson lines up on the right side of the field. Otherwise, he'll face Carr, who is bigger and matches up better with him.

Cassel will be the key to the game for either side, because the Texans pass defense is so bad, and their run defense is stout. If he struggles, it could be a long day.

Lazeye
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Old Texans 24
New Texans 17

okikcfan
10-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I do expect to see more of a passing game this Sunday from Cassel. which in it's self might be kinda intresting. We really want to see Cassel do a better job in that area and I for one feel they just need to cut him loose and see what he can really do. Right now he is just too limited. He also needs to get better at some of the choices he makes. This will be a good defensive game but I think the over all outcome will depend on the passing game. Cassel has to step up and show us some thing.....

tornadospotter
10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the Crowd, I appreciate how you post on our site with respect and just as fan of your team. Thank you. I also share your feelings for a well played game, injury free. However, I must respectfully disagree with the ending you want. The Chiefs, not the old texans, The Chiefs are coming, the war chants have started.

chief31
10-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Honestly, I would expect our running game, specifically Charles, to break a long one, or two.

Playing tough run defense doesn't usually apply to his style, as with Chris Johnson. So the quick move through the hole may get him into the secondary more often than most HBs.

I'd be wary of our return game too. McCluster and Arenas have shown early that they are capable of breaking away.

The passing offense has not come out of it's shell yet. Hopefully your Texans will be the passing game's "coming out party".

As for our defense? They have been flat-out tough.

They are playing stout against the run. They are very tight in coverage. And the pass-rush is alive and well.

When a 3-4 defense is coached well, and is playing well, there are no glaring weaknesses.

The best gameplan against it is often power running.

Best of luck to The Texans after this game. But, until then....

DOWN WITH THE TEXANS!!!!!!!!!!!

:chiefs:

hometeam
10-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I lived in Houston for 5 years. 5 BAD years fo the Texans. I kept my chiefs fandom up the whole time with direct ticket :P

That being said. Its a tough game for us.

Chief4Ever&Ever
10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome Texans fan. I also believe the Chiefs will pull this one out, if our defense can play as they have, containing the run and keep Andre Johnson in check we have a shot. That said, our offense other than my boy Jamaal Charles is nothing to be scared of! Cassell is, wel,l in a word unimpressive against any defense, he does not look like he is worth over 40 mill to me. It will be a close game, and fingers crossed we can get Bowe to catch a ball or two. Maybe we could bring back Lake Dawson to take his place....

kcvet
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
we win unless butter fingers drops some more.

Connie Jo
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Starting off, I would first like to say I've always had alot of respect for your franchise and am glad to see y'all are beginning to turn things around again. I began paying closer attention to your team once you acquired Jamaal Charles, a hometown guy who i've followed since his high school days at Memorial High School when he would run for 300+ yards on my alma mater.

However, outside of what he is doing and for the most part what the offense is starting to accomplish, i know next to nothing about your defense and your coaching philosophies outside of catching a slight peak of the end of your matchup with Indy over the weekend(wished you would've pulled it out). What should the Texans expect to see defensively when you head down to Reliant this Sunday? Will your offense continue with the traditional running style you have been succeeding with or take your chances with Cassell and attack one of the most abysmal pass defenses in league history?

In all honesty, i'd love to say what you should expect out of the Texans, but even i really do not know. It all begins with deciding which team that we are going to field, the dominant offensive juggernaut, or the charmin ultra soft offense we have fielded against the Giants and the Cowboys. After leading the league in passing last year, Schaub has began this year being completely erratic with the football, making bad reads, holding on for too long, and often being timid and lacking confidence in the pocket. Andre Johnson still is not back at full strength, but even not at full strength he will still be the main guy you have to gameplan for due to his big play ability. Arian Foster carried the team on his back up to this past Sunday, in which the Giants dominated our offensive line and took away all of our cutback lanes which our zone blocking scheme relies on, therefore shutting him down.

Defensively, we are fielding the worst pass defense in the league and if it continues at the rate that it is, will go down as the worst in the history of the NFL by over 40 yards per game. We are starting a rookie CB who has been nothing short of burnt toast, and a 2nd year guy who shows flashes of good things, but is also very inconsistent. You all know Bernard Pollard, who i'm glad you cut, because he has been nothing but a playmaker and a big hitter for us since he got here, but his passing coverage isn't exactly brilliant, and can be vulnerable due to poor CB play. Our FS position hasn't been figured out yet, as we have been bouncing back and forth between an over the hill guy in Eugene Wilson with stone hands, and a playmaker who is playing his first full season and still has alot to learn in Troy Nolan.

Our LBs are the best part of our defense, in which we have two pro bowlers anchoring a couple of the spots in Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing. Cushing in his first game back last week was the only real bright spot of our ugly loss, and was still making plenty of plays. The middle of our field is solidified and the only real strength of this defense. As far as our d-line goes, if you double up on Mario Williams, you stop any pass rush we may have. We also have Antonio Smith who can also make a sack here and there when he wants to try, but our inconsistent pass rush does not really help out a young and struggling secondary. Our run defense is pretty stout for the most part, but that is also added to the fact that no team to this point in the season has found a point in running the ball when our secondary is that bad.

As far as my predictions for the game goes, i fully expect Matt Cassel to look like a Hall of Famer against our secondary, and i'm hoping that we can contain Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones at all costs. Our team will be forced to play well as i really don't think we'll put up 3 horrendous home performances in a row, but with this team you just never know. The blatant homer in me will pick the final score as

Chiefs-17
Texans-20

Let's hope for an injury free, hard fought game, and good luck the rest of the season as you take on a couple more of our division foes in Tennessee and Jacksonville! :bananen_smilies046:
You're not a coach or assistant coach for the Texans are ya...wanting to know our secrets? LOL ~kidding~

Welcome to Chiefs Crowd...home of the best of the best Chiefs fans! I enjoyed reading your post, very respectful and well done! :)

Good luck to your Texans, and as well I hope for an injury free game for both teams. I'm gonna turn the W/L around though, haha. :)

Chiefs 28
Texans 17

:chiefs:

Pro_Angler
10-16-2010, 11:02 AM
lol connie.. welcome to the site, you should hang out during the game, we have a great game day thread each week.

goodluck KC 24- Houston 20

Boxermm187
10-16-2010, 11:17 AM
IMO chiefs need to contain Foster. He has been a beast!! contain him and slaton, throwo out the playaction, and force them to be beat us with the pass. that is going to be thier game plan, as well from all the other teams the chiefs will face. Time for cassel to step up and Bowe to put the 2 drops behind him and show he is a number one WR or 2. hopefully they all play with a chip on thier sholder

Pro_Angler
10-16-2010, 11:40 AM
johnson and flowers match up will be fun to watch.

KC will have to jam the recievers at the line! they did not do this at Indy and it cost us huge several times.

GlennBree
10-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh that's cool. I'm 20 miles south of Houston in Webster. (Where NASA is)

I'm a LOT of hours away....Fort Worth...to be exact!

HTexRyan
10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Just got back from the game. Well my hopes for an injury free game ceased to exist as we just lost our pro bowler and team captain Demeco Ryans :(

But really, you guys are a fantastic team and played great today. Your running game is absolutely dominant and it was almost a pleasure watching you guys run up and down our d today. Jamaal Charles is a force to be reckoned with, and Thomas Jones continues trucking well into his 30's. If only your defense would have held up you would have won easily.

This was just a game for us that we were forced to win, and was essentially do or die. It is completely unacceptable to lose 3 home games in a row and that could have cost us jobs if we failed to execute. Our offense finally seemed to piece everything together in a game for the first time this year.

But i do wish you guys the best of luck throughout the season, and will be pulling for you guys to take your very winnable division, and against our division rivals. Your team is the real deal. :chiefs:

matthewschiefs
10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Just got back from the game. Well my hopes for an injury free game ceased to exist as we just lost our pro bowler and team captain Demeco Ryans :(

But really, you guys are a fantastic team and played great today. Your running game is absolutely dominant and it was almost a pleasure watching you guys run up and down our d today. Jamaal Charles is a force to be reckoned with, and Thomas Jones continues trucking well into his 30's. If only your defense would have held up you would have won easily.

This was just a game for us that we were forced to win, and was essentially do or die. It is completely unacceptable to lose 3 home games in a row and that could have cost us jobs if we failed to execute. Our offense finally seemed to piece everything together in a game for the first time this year.

But i do wish you guys the best of luck throughout the season, and will be pulling for you guys to take your very winnable division, and against our division rivals. Your team is the real deal. :chiefs:

congrats to your team we had you guys and let you walk away with the win. This is one we should have won but you guys took advantage of our mistakes and a GIFT from the refs on that PI call on flowers. But we had our chances and didnt get the job done. Congrats.

Three7s
10-17-2010, 08:13 PM

You come to our board with a lot of sportsmanship, and that is saying a lot for some of our own fans that hang around here. Your Texans offense reminds me a lot of the offense the Chiefs had back in 02. That's not an insult in the slightest. See ya in the playoffs! :D

okikcfan
10-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Congrat to you and the Texans for a game well played. Our offense showed much improvement but our defense dropped the ball at a time we hoped it would shine. We should have won this one. Best of luck in your remaining season also! Your welcome back at any time!

Fastphilly
10-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Very well said post...We made the mistake of thinking we can pressure Shaub with our core linemen...We did'nt call enough blitz packages which is something we should have done when Shaub got hot...Congrats on the win...All I have to say is thank God our other division rivals lost today:yahoo:

bigpoppachief
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Honestly man I was at the game today and the Texans fans are really first class ! Sorry about Ryans that is going to be a huge loss down the stretch.

Connie Jo
10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
You come to our board with a lot of sportsmanship, and that is saying a lot for some of our own fans that hang around here. Your Texans offense reminds me a lot of the offense the Chiefs had back in 02. That's not an insult in the slightest. See ya in the playoffs! :D

Ditto!!

Congrats to your Texans HTexRyan! It is nice to know our Chiefs losing helped save your city jobs, which honestly allieviates some pain knowing our Chiefs loss was not in vain. I say that with all sincerity. :)

Good luck to your Texans! :)

Chiefster
10-18-2010, 12:06 AM

You're a good man Charlie Brown and a credit fan to your Texans. You deserved the win and I tip my hat to you. I agree with you're analysis; you're offense settled in and did what it took to win the game. Congrats and good luck the rest of the way.

captainamerica
10-18-2010, 02:24 AM

Very classy post. Fans like you represent your team very well. I'm actually cheering for you guys this year especially when you play the rest of the AFC West. You guys deserve to win your division, the Colts have been on top for way too long.