PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of this conservative play calling on offense

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Our special teams is by no means conservative neither is our D but our offense is. Matt Cassel is supposed to be our QBOTF lets see what he can do, I wanna see him throw the ball more and I also wanna see him wait for a play to develop not just throw the ball in the dirt. If this is "The Guy" lets treat him as such. I'm glad he's avoiding sacks and not throwing interceptions, but lets try make some more throws because sometimes like last sunday we are going to need Matt to be able to throw the ball well. Same goes for Dwayne Bowe he needs to catch the ball I am giving both of these guys a year to see what they can do. If Dwayne Bowe doesn't step up he needs to be traded same to Cassel though. Our team is actually very good aside from passing, if Bowe isn't getting it done lets see what Horn or Mccluster or hell anyone can do.

Ryfo18
10-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Passing is not going to be this team's strength, so I don't see any need to force it. This team is going to win games by playing stingy defense, running to keep the opposing offense off the field and set up the pass, and passing in short yardage situations to keep the other team on their heels. The coaching staff is asking Matt to simply be a game manager at quarterback. He's not doing a bad job at all in my opinion. Matt only needs to win games with his arm when we are down and need a couple of scores.

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Passing is not going to be this team's strength, so I don't see any need to force it. This team is going to win games by playing stingy defense, running to keep the opposing offense off the field and set up the pass, and passing in short yardage situations to keep the other team on their heels. The coaching staff is asking 1)Matt to simply be a game manager at quarterback. He's not doing a bad job at all in my opinion. 2) Matt only needs to win games with his arm when we are down and need a couple of scores.

1) Game managers don't get paid 16 million a year we brought him hear to win. I know we are not a throwing team but all you have to do is stack the box against us and we lose. You can't be one dimensional.
2) Didn't that happen on Sunday and we lost because we couldn't throw the ball? Our running game is strong but that's not gonna beat elite teams. We need Matt, we can't afford to have 7+ 3 and outs it's not gonna win games the passing game with the running game will keep drives alive. It's all about not being predictable.

Ryfo18
10-13-2010, 10:38 AM
1) Game managers don't get paid 16 million a year we brought him hear to win. I know we are not a throwing team but all you have to do is stack the box against us and we lose. You can't be one dimensional.
2) Didn't that happen on Sunday and we lost because we couldn't throw the ball? Our running game is strong but that's not gonna beat elite teams. We need Matt, we can't afford to have 7+ 3 and outs it's not gonna win games the passing game with the running game will keep drives alive. It's all about not being predictable.

But your argument was that we need to stop with the conservative playcalling. Then you go on and point out that when we tried this last week it didn't work because of Cassel. I agree that he has to be better, but for now this team is better off playing to its strengths, not trying to force an elite passing game that doesn't exist.

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
But your argument was that we need to stop with the conservative playcalling. Then you go on and point out that when we tried this last week it didn't work because of Cassel. I agree that he has to be better, but for now this team is better off playing to its strengths, not trying to force an elite passing game that doesn't exist.

No I didn't say it didn't work. We didn't try it until our running game was not working. Run, Run, Pass doesn't work. We need to get matt some easy completions some screen and such build him up get that timing down and work on it it seems like we don't use him unless we have to. Charlie Weis must really not trust this guy which is odd.

brdempsey69
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
No I didn't say it didn't work. We didn't try it until our running game was not working. Run, Run, Pass doesn't work. We need to get matt some easy completions some screen and such build him up get that timing down and work on it it seems like we don't use him unless we have to. Charlie Weis must really not trust this guy which is odd.

Exactly, take some shots down the field and loosen up the opposing defense. I'd have rather seen them do that against Indy instead of going for an onside kick. And you are right, they can't be one-dimensional or else the losses are going to mount up as the season progresses.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Or he doesn't trust the receivers to get open enough to have the ball thrown to them and actually catch it.

chiefnut
10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
i think the reason weiss doesn't call more deep throws is cassel doesn't have enuf time to thro deep. but w/that said there are alway play actions on first downs that could get the job done. did you notice on the fourth down play when cassel thew into tripple coverage, castille was wide open in the middle??

Ryfo18
10-13-2010, 11:30 AM
i think the reason weiss doesn't call more deep throws is cassel doesn't have enuf time to thro deep. but w/that said there are alway play actions on first downs that could get the job done. did you notice on the fourth down play when cassel thew into tripple coverage, castille was wide open in the middle??

I thought on the play it looked like Moeaki was breaking out and would have been wide open in the back of the endzone. He had plenty of time. A solid pump fake and Moeaki would have had an easy TD.

Lazeye
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Screw the playcalling I am happy with
3-1. Sounds as if you want it to be more exciting and fun to watch. Our guys can crawl into the endzone and run with there pants around their ankles and if we continue to win who cares what plays are called. Our pass offense will get better if matt would go to the line with more than one route in mind.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
3-1. Sounds as if you want it to be more exciting and fun to watch. Our guys can crawl into the endzone and run with there pants around their ankles and if we continue to win who cares what plays are called. Our pass offense will get better if matt would go to the line with more than one route in mind.
Or confidence in who is throwing to.

chiefnut
10-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Amen brother!!!:chiefs:

Ryfo18
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
My latest thoughts on this topic:

Awesome read comparing the Chiefs to a similar team, 2001 Super Bowl Champion Patriot - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14773)

okikcfan
10-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Our special teams is by no means conservative neither is our D but our offense is. Matt Cassel is supposed to be our QBOTF lets see what he can do, I wanna see him throw the ball more and I also wanna see him wait for a play to develop not just throw the ball in the dirt. If this is "The Guy" lets treat him as such. I'm glad he's avoiding sacks and not throwing interceptions, but lets try make some more throws because sometimes like last sunday we are going to need Matt to be able to throw the ball well. Same goes for Dwayne Bowe he needs to catch the ball I am giving both of these guys a year to see what they can do. If Dwayne Bowe doesn't step up he needs to be traded same to Cassel though. Our team is actually very good aside from passing, if Bowe isn't getting it done lets see what Horn or Mccluster or hell anyone can do.

I in many ways agree. As time goes on if all we have is a running game we are dead in the water. We need to mix it up more, catch em off guard. Let's cut him loose and see what he can really do. I want Cassel to succeed more than anything. We will need to be better at that passing game this week vs the Texans for sure.:chiefs:

Hayvern
10-13-2010, 01:13 PM

OK, you are not really a fan are you? Do you even watch the same team that I watch?

Look at the Cleveland game, the 49ers game, both of those games were far from conservative. The 49ers game in particular was very agressive and far from run of the mill.

Here is one thing for sure, if teams cannot stop the run, then we will not stop going to the run. We did not pick up these runningbacks in order to throw the ball all the time. This team is not going to be Indy.

I am sorry, I am really losing faith that you know anything about this team. You are clearly not watching the same team that I am watching.

GlennBree
10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Word!

#58ChiefsFan
10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Our special teams success in the first three games made the offenses job much easier. At Indy we faced a team that played above there average for the season on special teams which made every start for us from a long field. I mostly agree with what your saying but as a general rule when rebuilding the defense comes around then the offense. I look at it this way, fourth game into the 09 season had we went to Indy we would have received a major beat down. 2010 we held with them until the fourth quarter with there core starting line up. Manning Wayne Clark garçon addai. Both teams have some new personell but our team is much improved. 3-1 afc west first place, it will come full circle in time.

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I in many ways agree. As time goes on if all we have is a running game we are dead in the water. We need to mix it up more, catch em off guard. Let's cut him loose and see what he can really do. I want Cassel to succeed more than anything. We will need to be better at that passing game this week vs the Texans for sure.:chiefs:

Agree Texans have crap pass defense this is Matt's chance to show what he can do.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Agree Texans have crap pass defense this is Matt's chance to show what he can do.
He will do nothing more or less than he has to this point. The offense called is to help him. Similar to the offense Jacksonville runs.

OPLookn
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm curious simply because on other threads and in general I have heard people say I am DONE with Bowe. He can take a long walk off a short pier!

What would Cassel need to do or not do to get you to say the same thing about him?

People seem to give Cassel every excuse possible and blame everyone else so I'm curious what the tipping point is. Thoughts?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm curious simply because on other threads and in general I have heard people say I am DONE with Bowe. He can take a long walk off a short pier!

What would Cassel need to do or not do to get you to say the same thing about him?

People seem to give Cassel every excuse possible and blame everyone else so I'm curious what the tipping point is. Thoughts?
I think there are so many more intangibles when it comes to playing the QB position that there is a human element that says they deserve more time to adapt, perfect, adjust whatever you want to say, to becoming proficient at the position. One thing that has to be considered is that regardless of the team he was on, Cassel has proven his worth with a Pro Bowl appearance. Given the fact that he was brought to a team that was and is still rebuilding in my opinion gives him a bit more leeway because he is basically the coach on the field and plays a much more vital role than a WR.

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing Cassel is ranked somewhere around 20th in the league as a QB. Im willing to bet that Bowe is ranked well over 100 as far a receiving goes. The most important priority as a receiver is to catch the ball when thrown in your direction. Bowe has been terrible at this for 20 games now. He was drafted in the first round and has not played up to his expectations.

Canada
10-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Really? You think people arent saying the same thing about Cassel?

OK its official, Cassel F***in sucks!! - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14401&highlight=cassel)

I have not been impressed with Cassel - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11311&highlight=cassel)

Matt Cassel SUCKS - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14307&highlight=cassel)

is this a Cassel must win ??? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14519&highlight=cassel)

The list goes on.

But in answer to your question, Bowe had had 3 years and 4 games to prove himself and he is still dropping balls like a third stringer. Cassel on the other hand is learning at a position that is much harder to play and has at least shown improvement. I dont want to get rid of Bowe but I think finding a new #1 would light a fire under him and if not, then we have a new #1.

Hayvern
10-13-2010, 03:39 PM

He has to basically cost us some games. The thing you have to consider is this:

Cassel is not making mistakes that are killing this team. He is tied for third right now for the least number of interceptions thrown. In order to be in that group, he would have to throw a lot of passes away, which he does at a rate that seems pretty consistent with other QBs.

What Cassel needs to do is not throw bad passes to open receivers. He has done some of that, but that has to be tempered with those times he is throwing the ball away because receivers are not open.

Look, for me to get down on Cassel, it will take plays where he is missing the open receiver, throwing interceptions, or massive confusion on play calling. It is a lot more than QB rating and completion percentage at play here. We know our wide receivers just are not doing their jobs right now with some exceptions, so until they start getting open and catching passes, Cassel gets a a pass with me.

Hayvern
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing Cassel is ranked somewhere around 20th in the league as a QB.

It depends on what you want to rank

Here is the breakdown

QB Rating: 25th one ahead of Joe Flacco
Completion Percentage: 30th right behind Mark Sanchez
Attempts per game 23rd ahead of Jay Cutler
Total Yards: 28th tied with Derek Anderson
TDs tied for 25th tied with Donovan McNabb
Ints: tied for 3 with Cutler, McNabb and is ahead of Rivers and a lot of other guys.
Sacks 3: Fewer than any other QB in the league right now.

These numbers tell me that he is not producing incredible numbers, but he is not the worse either, on top of that, he is not making mistakes and frankly, that is what we need him to do right now.

That is one of the reasons we are 3-1 and not 0-4.

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I think there are so many more intangibles when it comes to playing the QB position that there is a human element that says they deserve more time to adapt, perfect, adjust whatever you want to say, to becoming proficient at the position. One thing that has to be considered is that regardless of the team he was on, Cassel has proven his worth with a Pro Bowl appearance. Given the fact that he was brought to a team that was and is still rebuilding in my opinion gives him a bit more leeway because he is basically the coach on the field and plays a much more vital role than a WR.

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing Cassel is ranked somewhere around 20th in the league as a QB. Im willing to bet that Bowe is ranked well over 100 as far a receiving goes. The most important priority as a receiver is to catch the ball when thrown in your direction. Bowe has been terrible at this for 20 games now. He was drafted in the first round and has not played up to his expectations.

Cassel is at 28 out of 32 (1 starter per team) or lowest 10%, Bowe is 89 out of 128 (4 wr's per team) or lowest 10%. So basically they are rated about the same, the only difference is Bowe's succes depends more on Cassel then Cassel's success depends on Bowe. Cassel even when Bowe is on the field Cassel has another WR,FB,HB,TE, etc. that he can throw to.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-13-2010, 04:47 PM
I just looked at nfl.com and as they are listed in order, Cassel is ranked 25th and Bowe is ranked 128th, tied with about 8 other guys. To your point, Bowe's success does depend on Cassel more so it makes it even more important to catch the ball when it comes his way. He does himself no favors by dropping as many balls as he does. If your targeted 6 or 8 times a game and you drop 3 or 4 of those, there is a problem.

OPLookn
10-13-2010, 04:50 PM
It depends on what you want to rank

Here is the breakdown

QB Rating: 25th one ahead of Joe Flacco
Completion Percentage: 30th right behind Mark Sanchez
Attempts per game 23rd ahead of Jay Cutler
Total Yards: 28th tied with Derek Anderson
TDs tied for 25th tied with Donovan McNabb
Ints: tied for 3 with Cutler, McNabb and is ahead of Rivers and a lot of other guys.
Sacks 3: Fewer than any other QB in the league right now.

These numbers tell me that he is not producing incredible numbers, but he is not the worse either, on top of that, he is not making mistakes and frankly, that is what we need him to do right now.

That is one of the reasons we are 3-1 and not 0-4.

You know I never thought about that this year until just now. Last year he took SO many sacks it was ridiculous. I hate bagging on the guy because just like so many other things it's life it's easiest to just point at the person in charge and say there's the problem. But that he's taking far less sacks this year is encouraging and hopefully he continues building on that. So I'll hold off on my whining about him til end of season at which point I'm saying brilliant bringing him here Pioli!

:lol:

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I just looked at nfl.com and as they are listed in order, Cassel is ranked 25th and Bowe is ranked 128th, tied with about 8 other guys. To your point, Bowe's success does depend on Cassel more so it makes it even more important to catch the ball when it comes his way. He does himself no favors by dropping as many balls as he does. If your targeted 6 or 8 times a game and you drop 3 or 4 of those, there is a problem.

I agree. Both are too blame, Bowe is dropping too many balls and Cassel isn't playing well.

matthewschiefs
10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
While I don't think Cassel is playing well I don't think he is playing as bad as a lot of people think. If you give Cassel the drops then again his numbers are much better. The two Bowe drops alone give him anther TD pass. Bowe has been a starter since he came into the NFL he has much more time and reps as an NFL player. I think his stock is lower then Cassels at this moment.

That being said this is Cassels thrid year as a starter in the NFL, He has to step up his game and get it going if he wants to reamain the starter. I still have hope for him to be the long term starter for this team but I am starting to wonder.

#58ChiefsFan
10-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Cassel went 11-5 on the pats, on a good team. The Chiefs are becoming a good team, every week there is improvement on this team.

Jamaal had two fumbles Sunday, one in the red zone 3rd down which he was able to recover. There was enough open field that it should have been a first down. Second fumble was in field goal range and the colts recovered the ball. No one seems to point out these two things when saying Bowe lost the game for us.

For the record I am not a big fan of D Bowe, but this loss was not entirely his fault either.

Cassel has shown this year he is in control of the offense, thats the main point of developement at this point. We are 3-1, he is still developing but doing his job.

Canada
10-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Cassel went 11-5 on the pats, on a good team. The Chiefs are becoming a good team, every week there is improvement on this team.

Jamaal had two fumbles Sunday, one in the red zone 3rd down which he was able to recover. There was enough open field that it should have been a first down. Second fumble was in field goal range and the colts recovered the ball. No one seems to point out these two things when saying Bowe lost the game for us.

For the record I am not a big fan of D Bowe, but this loss was not entirely his fault either.

Cassel has shown this year he is in control of the offense, thats the main point of developement at this point. We are 3-1, he is still developing but doing his job.

I think the reason Bowe is getting more crap is because it is more of a regular accurance with him. Its not like Jamaal fumbles very ofter where as Bowe drop a lot of balls. I do agree however that all parts of the offense are in part to blame for the lack of production, but I also think that they will get it rolling before the season is over and we could really be a much better team than most people expected. A good playoff run may not be out of the question at all!! :bananen_smilies046:

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 06:59 PM

You honestly think Cassel and Bowe are comparable to Jamaal Charles? Jamaal Charles is a top ten back and right now is the only consistent part of our offense. I truly believe he won 3 out of 4 games last year. He did fumble the ball but he has also averages 6.5 yards a carry. I'll take a couple fumbles when you take into consideration what he brings.

#58ChiefsFan
10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
You honestly think Cassel and Bowe are comparable to Jamaal Charles? Jamaal Charles is a top ten back and right now is the only consistent part of our offense. I truly believe he won 3 out of 4 games last year. He did fumble the ball but he has also averages 6.5 yards a carry. I'll take a couple fumbles when you take into consideration what he brings.

I look at this as a team effort.

On Sunday best case scenario Charles -14 pts. Bowe -7 pts. Cassels double fumble -7 pts.

Take out two of the four and we win that game.

I already stated I don't care if Bowe is here or not. Charles we need more than anyone on the offensive roster this year. Cassel is developing.

I think you want instant gratification from this team and I am more willing to crucify this team after the season is over if we lay a big turd. So far we haven't.

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
I look at this as a team effort.

On Sunday best case scenario Charles -14 pts. Bowe -7 pts. Cassels double fumble -7 pts.

Take out two of the four and we win that game.

I already stated I don't care if Bowe is here or not. Charles we need more than anyone on the offensive roster this year. Cassel is developing.

I think you want instant gratification from this team and I am more willing to crucify this team after the season is over if we lay a big turd. So far we haven't.

I'm willing to give Matt Cassel and D-Bowe til the end of the year. If they both still aren't getting it done trade them

#58ChiefsFan
10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm willing to give Matt Cassel and D-Bowe til the end of the year. If they both still aren't getting it done trade them

I'd agree with that.

Problem may become IF their body of work for the year is the same as what we have seen thus far, there not going to be worth anything.

We have the development coaches in place to keep this from happening.

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd agree with that.

Problem may become IF their body of work for the year is the same as what we have seen thus far, there not going to be worth anything.

We have the development coaches in place to keep this from happening.

Then cut them, but I'm sure we can get a trade for Bowe, Cassel maybe not since his salary is so high but who knows Denver got an arm and a leg for Cutler.

toyotapower
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I would like to see horne replace chambers in the starting lineup. Stretch the field and good things will happen for bowe, moeaki mccluster and charles

figcrostic
10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I would like to see horne replace chambers in the starting lineup. Stretch the field and good things will happen for bowe, moeaki mccluster and charles

Sounds good Horne shows promise

Lazeye
10-13-2010, 10:37 PM

People seem to give Cassel every excuse possible and blame everyone else so I'm curious what the tipping point is. Thoughts?Cassel has not been here as long as Bowe has been, did you think of that.

2010chiefs
10-13-2010, 11:31 PM
True. I like what Horne did in the Pre-season and hasn't been given a chance. As for Cassel, I think alot has to do with the play calling. I really think Weis doesn't trust him enough.

chief31
10-14-2010, 02:12 AM
My latest thoughts on this topic:

Awesome read comparing the Chiefs to a similar team, 2001 Super Bowl Champion Patriot - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14773)

That is extremely interesting.

For those who haven't read it, you should.

A.) You are willing to give Cassel until the end of the year? You have already tried to destroy him thirty-seven times, just since the start of the season.

Be honest. You are not willing to give Cassel anything at all.

B.) I am willing to give him until Weiss and Haley are ready to give up on him. I would guess that, unless he absolutely wrecks the whole train himself, he will get this year and next to really start showing much.

C.) Seriously. Click that link that Ryfo posted and read.

figcrostic
10-14-2010, 02:25 PM
That is extremely interesting.

For those who haven't read it, you should.

A.) You are willing to give Cassel until the end of the year? You have already tried to destroy him thirty-seven times, just since the start of the season.

Be honest. You are not willing to give Cassel anything at all.

B.) I am willing to give him until Weiss and Haley are ready to give up on him. I would guess that, unless he absolutely wrecks the whole train himself, he will get this year and next to really start showing much.

C.) Seriously. Click that link that Ryfo posted and read.

A) Is this a child? Because you don't act like a man. Questioning someones honesty is not very respectful. We get in many fights on this site but I don't think anyone has questioned anyone's honest their opinion yes but not calling them liars. Look around I'm not the one making threads that says this for example It's time we move on from Cassell - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723)
Have I criticized him? Absolutely but I also haven't called for him to be benched after any of his starts this year no matter how poorly he has played. I want Matt to succeed but so far he has not whether you think I'm a liar I truly don't care
B) So if Haley cuts Cassel at the end of the season your cool with that?
C) I saw it but I'm not big on comparing things players to other players and teams to other teams. I don't want the Chiefs to be the Patriots, I wanna be better then Patriots.

nigeriannightmare
10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
A) Is this a child? Because you don't act like a man. Questioning someones honesty is not very respectful. We get in many fights on this site but I don't think anyone has questioned anyone's honest their opinion yes but not calling them liars. Look around I'm not the one making threads that says this for example It's time we move on from Cassell - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723)
Have I criticized him? Absolutely but I also haven't called for him to be benched after any of his starts this year no matter how poorly he has played. I want Matt to succeed but so far he has not whether you think I'm a liar I truly don't care
C) I saw it but I'm not big on comparing things players to other players and teams to other teams. I don't want the Chiefs to be the Patriots, I wanna be better then Patriots.

If we can get to three superbowls in five years I will jump, do cartwheels naked, whatever. the patriots have built a franchise that a lot of team want to emmulate and I hope that we can what they have done, dynasties are rare.

from what I gather no one has called you a liar, the be honest comment refers to the fact that you don't like matt cassel, you think he is overpaid, and will never succeed. So be honest with yourself and quit playing both sides of the fence on the issue. You don't want Cassel to be our QB, end of story. so to say you want him to succeed is kind of being a hypocrite about the whole thing when everything you have said is to the contrary.

figcrostic
10-14-2010, 04:27 PM
If we can get to three superbowls in five years I will jump, do cartwheels naked, whatever. the patriots have built a franchise that a lot of team want to emmulate and I hope that we can what they have done, dynasties are rare.

from what I gather no one has called you a liar, the be honest comment refers to the fact that you don't like matt cassel, you think he is overpaid, and will never succeed. So be honest with yourself and quit playing both sides of the fence on the issue. You don't want Cassel to be our QB, end of story. so to say you want him to succeed is kind of being a hypocrite about the whole thing when everything you have said is to the contrary.

You two are making it out to be a personal issue and that is not the case. If you asked me to logically answer the following question: "Do you think Matt Cassel will be a good QB for the Chiefs" I would answer "No", but if you asked me "Do you want Matt Cassel to succeed as the Chiefs QB?" I would say "Yes". I have no personal issue with Matt Cassel he seems like a decent person, but he is put in a position to do something that I think is above his abilities. If I was the HC I would not bench Matt, neither would I dog on him I would actually give him a longer leash then he currently is given. I would let him play this year out and evaluate him. Matt Cassel is 28 years old this is his 6th year in the league 3 years of that will be as a starter. This is his second year with our offense, so he is familar and technically he is a veteran in the NFL being his 6th year and all. The point I'm getting to is after this year we will have a good idea of how good Matt really is. If it is determined he is good then he should stick around if he is average or below average he should be traded. Now you said I think he is overpaid, which I do, but the question I have for you is: What QB that makes what he makes or more is worse then him?

Canada
10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
So you think they should just let Cassel go out there and throw the ball around and see what happens? I prefer the method they are using. Its called coaching a player. We have played 4 games, its gonna take a little more time than that to get on the same page. If Cassel is still throwing for 150 yards a game at the end of the season I will be shocked, but right now the coaching staff is putting him in a position to be somewhat successful. He has corrected the problem of holding on to the ball too long. He is making better decisions by throwing the ball away instead of throwing interceptions. I think Weiss is doing a great job with Cassel and I think he will improve as the season goes. By week 17 we will have a very accurate picture of what Matt Cassel is, good or bad.

PS Who cares how much he is getting paid. How does that affect anything on the field?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
If he is throwing for 150 yds at the end of the season and we have the same winning percentage as we do now, I'm goooood!!!! I actually like the fact that they are controlling what he does. Can't argue with his total on INT's. Do I wish there were a few more points scored, of course but I don't see a need to blow up what has worked to this point. If we go on a slide then maybe we will need to address it and change things up some but for now, we are where we are BECAUSE of the way Weiss has controlled Cassell and has not let him get out of control forcing the issue.

#58ChiefsFan
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Here is a list of the available quarterbacks that were free agents for 2009

Starting quarterbacks
Kurt Warner/Arizona Cardinals
Kerry Collins/ Tennessee Titans
Matt Cassel/ New England Patriots
Jeff Garcia/ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Back up quarterbacks

Chris Simms/Tennessee Titans/UFA
J.P. Losman (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3661925)/Buffalo Bills (http://buf.scout.com/)/UFA
Byron Leftwich (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3894234)/Pittsburgh Steelers (http://pit.scout.com/)/UFA
Rex Grossman (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3630242)/Chicago Bears (http://chi.scout.com/)/UFA
Kyle Boller (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3662097)/Baltimore Ravens (http://bal.scout.com/)/UFA
Luke McCown (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3630540)/Tampa Bay Buccaneers/UFA
David Carr (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3672527)/New York Giants (http://nyg.scout.com/)/UFA
Patrick Ramsey (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3689962)/Denver Broncos (http://den.scout.com/)/UFA
Brooks Bollinger/Dallas Cowboys (http://dal.scout.com/)/UFA
Dan Orlovsky (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3990746)/Detroit Lions (http://det.scout.com/)/UFA
Charlie Frye (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3564450)/Seattle Seahawks (http://sea.scout.com/)/UFA
Charlie Batch/Pittsburgh Steelers/UFA

Given this talent pool I agree with the decision to bring Matt here.

Connie Jo
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM

I agree with you that our passing game is too conservative at times. I'm not sure why that is the case, could be a number of reasons, which others have pointed out. Such as, Weis not having enough confidence in Cassel at this point, to trust his passing game more. Could be Cassel not having confidence in his receivers and OL. Could be a combination of all negative factors that carried over from last season causing loss of confidence & trust. Gonna take some time for them all to build trust & confidence in one another.

Exactly, take some shots down the field and loosen up the opposing defense. I'd have rather seen them do that against Indy instead of going for an onside kick. And you are right, they can't be one-dimensional or else the losses are going to mount up as the season progresses.

I agree, a passing game is critical for any team to remain a consistent playoff & Super Bowl contender. Too many opposing team defenses are able to stop a rushing game, and when up against one of those defenses a passing game becomes a major factor with winning the game.

Or he doesn't trust the receivers to get open enough to have the ball thrown to them and actually catch it.

Very likely true.

I worry more about having a good passing game to rely on when making it to the playoffs, advancing, then winning Super Bowl. Staying consistent also, beyond one glory season like many teams do.

I've always had faith in both, and continue to have faith in both. It's too early in my opinion to judge either of them a failure to the point of letting them go. I still think in time both will become top rated at their positions.

If he is throwing for 150 yds at the end of the season and we have the same winning percentage as we do now, I'm goooood!!!! I actually like the fact that they are controlling what he does. Can't argue with his total on INT's. Do I wish there were a few more points scored, of course but I don't see a need to blow up what has worked to this point. If we go on a slide then maybe we will need to address it and change things up some but for now, we are where we are BECAUSE of the way Weiss has controlled Cassell and has not let him get out of control forcing the issue.

Excellent point, but I still worry going into the playoffs with lack of passing game experience. Too many teams will make the playoffs with defenses very good at stopping the run. I've always believed to be a consistent winning team you need a team good in all aspects of the game. Those who win without such usually get lucky in various ways, nothing more.

A team doesn't have to be great in all aspects, but good in all aspects...being great in one or two aspects is like icing on the cake IMO.

Not gonna do us much good to make the playoffs & get knocked out right away because we're up against a top ranked defense at stopping the run, and we can't rely on a passing game to win.

I also believe the only way Cassel, Bowe, other receivers, Weis, are going to work out the issues and improve, as well gain trust & confidence in one another...is to start calling more pass plays during games. No need for many, just an extra couple now & then.

:chiefs:

matthewschiefs
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Gonna take some time for them all to build trust & confidence in one another.

:chiefs:

Our Offense at the end of last year was looking much better then it was at the start of the year. Maybe we will see the same thing this year. We did yet again change the OC. If we see the jump in offense that we did a year ago I will feel good about this football team should we make the post season. Right now we are a passing offense away from being a contender. And not just a contender for the playoffs. We get a solid passing game going we can beat any team in the NFL.

Connie Jo
10-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Our Offense at the end of last year was looking much better then it was at the start of the year. Maybe we will see the same thing this year. We did yet again change the OC. If we see the jump in offense that we did a year ago I will feel good about this football team should we make the post season. Right now we are a passing offense away from being a contender. And not just a contender for the playoffs. We get a solid passing game going we can beat any team in the NFL.

I totally agree! Our offense continues to be much improved over 2009. Though Bowe did have issues with missing some critical catches last week, and Cassel struggled at times too...their game play for the 2010 season overall is much improved. Heck, Charles had some issues last week too. I'm hopeful it was a temporary set back for all, nothing that will continue for the rest of the season, or worsen.

I'm not excusing any of them, but there were factors last week that aren't present weekly...such as hidden pressures of being the only undefeated team in the NFL, wanting to prove oneself legit. As well, knowing that game in particular was one of the highest in ratings being watched. They're humans first, athlete's second, and no matter what those kinds of pressures are present, just not seen because they're emotional.

Those factors mentioned above also inspired the Indy fans to be louder than is typical...they not only wanted to win, they wanted to be the team to win against the undefeated Chiefs. Crowd noise is a factor, we know that better than any one does, considering our history of being the loudest stadium in the NFL.

figcrostic
10-14-2010, 09:44 PM

If we could maintain a 75% win rate which means going 12-4 by year end I would be over the moon. The only thing I'm worried about is our lack of passing ability is going to lose us games. You have to admit if we would have been able to pass the ball better we would have won that game our defense destroyed the Colts. Granted Bowe did drop the ball, and everyone is pissed, but not a lot got done other then that. One reason for the conservative game plan is the fact that Albert was getting destroyed by Freeney as seen here
Albert had a lousy game against Indy - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/10/13/1750369/albert-had-a-lousy-game-against-indy) . I could get into how we should have gotten Okung or Trent Williams but I won't.

Ryfo18
10-14-2010, 10:10 PM
If we could maintain a 75% win rate which means going 12-4 by year end I would be over the moon. The only thing I'm worried about is our lack of passing ability is going to lose us games. You have to admit if we would have been able to pass the ball better we would have won that game our defense destroyed the Colts. Granted Bowe did drop the ball, and everyone is pissed, but not a lot got done other then that. One reason for the conservative game plan is the fact that Albert was getting destroyed by Freeney as seen here
Albert had a lousy game against Indy - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/10/13/1750369/albert-had-a-lousy-game-against-indy) . I could get into how we should have gotten Okung or Trent Williams but I won't.

Those videos are very misleading though. In a lot of cases Cassel is making quick 3 step drops (pay attention to when Cassel gets rid of the ball). In those cases, Albert gets a piece of him and takes him out of the play. If Freeney wants to spin around and waste a ton of energy, fine by me. Less gas in the tank for the next few plays.

I thought Albert started the game off very well and started to decline throughout the game though. There were about 4 different times where Cassel had to scramble because of him missing a block.

Ryfo18
10-14-2010, 10:19 PM

And you can talk all you want about how Williams or Okung would have made this team better. The fact is that Albert is making huge strides and getting a lot better. Okung has only played 1 game this year, but in that game he gave up a sack. Williams has played in 3 games, given up 2 sacks and taken 2 penalties. Albert has taken 1 penalty (which was BS if you ask me) and allowed now sacks.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't give a damn what anyone says, Bowe catches that ball and we probably win. I also don't give a damn about what QB we are talking about, he could be the worst in the league but if his receivers continue to drop balls he is going to be less confident than he probably already is.

figcrostic
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't give a damn what anyone says, Bowe catches that ball and we probably win. I also don't give a damn about what QB we are talking about, he could be the worst in the league but if his receivers continue to drop balls he is going to be less confident than he probably already is.

Maybe so, but Bowe is not the only receiver that dropped a ball, he did drop a ball in the endzone which is inexscusable, but it's not like Matt had a 65 percent completion rate if Bowe would not have dropped 2 balls, his number still would have been low. I'm really not even sure what we are fighting about to be honest. You think Bowe should be cut if he continues to drop balls... I agree. If Matt Cassel is not performing his duties shouldn't he be treated the same?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe so, but Bowe is not the only receiver that dropped a ball, he did drop a ball in the endzone which is inexscusable, but it's not like Matt had a 65 percent completion rate if Bowe would not have dropped 2 balls, his number still would have been low. I'm really not even sure what we are fighting about to be honest. You think Bowe should be cut if he continues to drop balls... I agree. If Matt Cassel is not performing his duties shouldn't he be treated the same?
Like I said, I'm not sure. The WR position is possibly the easiest position on the field to play. At the same time, the QB position is certainly the hardest. I will say that I think a receiver, any receiver, should be given less time to progress than a QB.

figcrostic
10-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Like I said, I'm not sure. The WR position is possibly the easiest position on the field to play. At the same time, the QB position is certainly the hardest. I will say that I think a receiver, any receiver, should be given less time to progress than a QB.

6 years in the league, 3 years as a starter, 2 years as our starter. This is no rookie, the end of this season is plenty time to tell. It doesn't matter what any of us think because we don't make the decision but considering Matt's paycheck and how notoriously frugal the Chiefs are I don't see Matt lasting much longer if he doesn't start doing much better. I hope Matt does well for my team and it would make a great story career backup becomes a star, but I don't see it happening.

chief31
10-15-2010, 02:13 AM
If he is throwing for 150 yds at the end of the season and we have the same winning percentage as we do now, I'm goooood!!!!

:lol:

Me too. :D

chief31
10-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Look around I'm not the one making threads that says this for example It's time we move on from Cassell - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723)

Still not impressed by Cassel - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11429)
Give Brodie a chance - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11805)
I have not been impressed with Cassel - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11311)
Cassel and the Chiefs owe Jamaal some money - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12328)
Am I still wrong for not liking Cassel? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11661)
Nope. not you. :lol:

Of course you care. That's why you went directly to childish insults.

Can't be better if we can't be as good.

But "C.)" wasn't intended to be directed solely at you. Just pimping that particular link from Ryfo.:D

A) Is this a child? Because you don't act like a man. Questioning someones honesty is not very respectful. We get in many fights on this site but I don't think anyone has questioned anyone's honest their opinion yes but not calling them liars.

You're damn right I am questioning your honesty.

While meant somewhat in jest, (I truly expected you to agree with me on it.) You have been far beyond just critical of Cassel. You started a thread to gloat about Cassel having unimpressive numbers after a 2-0 start. < I hate being wrong - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14411) >

I have been saying for the last year that Cassel was not a good qb and that Berry was a mistake to take at 5. Boy was I wrong Berry has earned every cent of his pay and so has Cassel. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:: lol::lol:

Gloating over Cassel's inneffectiveness certainly makes me question how supportive you are of him.

I am not trying to be a gentleman's gentleman here. Grow some thicker skin.

The "integrity" of your opinion is always open to being questioned when you voice any opinion publicly.

And....

Is "I challenge your manhood!" really the appropriate response?

It is, at least, "on the borderline" of the rules here.

Do us all a favor? Next time, try responding to criticism without jumping directly to the "I'm an internet tough-guy" persona?

figcrostic
10-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Can't be better if we can't be as good.

But "C.)" wasn't intended to be directed solely at you. Just pimping that particular link from Ryfo.:D

You're damn right I am questioning your honesty.

While meant somewhat in jest, (I truly expected you to agree with me on it.) You have been far beyond just critical of Cassel. You started a thread to gloat about Cassel having unimpressive numbers after a 2-0 start. < I hate being wrong - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14411) >

Gloating over Cassel's inneffectiveness certainly makes me question how supportive you are of him.

I am not trying to be a gentleman's gentleman here. Grow some thicker skin.

The "integrity" of your opinion is always open to being questioned when you voice any opinion publicly.

And....

Is "I challenge your manhood!" really the appropriate response?

It is, at least, "on the borderline" of the rules here.

Do us all a favor? Next time, try responding to criticism without jumping directly to the "I'm an internet tough-guy" persona?

I never acted tough or threatened you in any way, I did not question your manhood I questioned your maturity level where I'm from it's very rude to call someone a liar. Most grown men don't do that, if you are a teenager I would understand though. Also pulling up my past threads proves me right and you wrong like I said I have not called for him to be benched this year and I have also never said I want him to lose. I have critized him and will continue to do so of anyone I deem not doing what they should do to help my team win.
The reason I "gloat" as you say is several people on here tell me how wrong I am guess what I wasn't wrong and I'm holding you accountable, just like after the San Fran game when matt had a good second half people put of threads about how the Cassel naysayers were wrong and they are intitled to do so. You sir/madam/whatever you are, are the worst kind you act like a child, I can deal with Canada or Drunkerhillbilly beacuse those are men they say somethings I don't like but they are men and I can respect them for that they may not like my opinon either but they don't accuse people of being liars that's what a child does. So please don't respond to me anymore I don't speak with children.

OPLookn
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I never acted tough or threatened you in any way, I did not question your manhood I questioned your maturity level where I'm from it's very rude to call someone a liar. Most grown men don't do that, if you are a teenager I would understand though. Also pulling up my past threads proves me right and you wrong like I said I have not called for him to be benched this year and I have also never said I want him to lose. I have critized him and will continue to do so of anyone I deem not doing what they should do to help my team win.
The reason I "gloat" as you say is several people on here tell me how wrong I am guess what I wasn't wrong and I'm holding you accountable, just like after the San Fran game when matt had a good second half people put of threads about how the Cassel naysayers were wrong and they are intitled to do so. You sir/madam/whatever you are, are the worst kind you act like a child, I can deal with Canada or Drunkerhillbilly beacuse those are men they say somethings I don't like but they are men and I can respect them for that they may not like my opinon either but they don't accuse people of being liars that's what a child does. So please don't respond to me anymore I don't speak with children.

Dude, you do this all the time. You come in and either directly or indirectly tell people they're wrong or they're being a child as you JUST did above. If you want to disprove me its on you but I know I've personally saw several posts where you've tried to act tough. But when the shoe is on the other foot they're supposed to respect your opinion.

You throw out inflammatory comments and when people call you on them, offer diverging opinions or just where you're proved wrong you try to get all proper by throwing out sir and what not.

I'm not starting anything or trying to argue with you. I'm simply telling you what I've saw. As for calling someone a liar it's about as rude as calling someone a child... And please don't gloat it's not a good color on anyone. Only about 5% of the population in the world is right more than they are wrong and neither of us is in that 5%. And yes that statistic was made up but you get my point.

Hayvern
10-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Clearly there is nothing of value left in this thread.

:plus1:

chief31
10-16-2010, 02:05 AM

There is no way I am going to treat you like a five year old little girl. Act like it if you want. But I am not going to be uber-sensetive to your precious little feelings.

I couldn't really care any less about your babblings of bufoonery either. I have to listen to all the whining when someone gets tired of your lip and crosses the line and calls you an idiot, or a punk, then get an infraction. I am used to the gradeschool behavior by now.

But the fact remains that you were flat-out wrong.

You said you weren't starting threads like that, and I linked five threads like that that you started.

As I said before, I did not intend that to be insulting. I thought you had enough sense to realize that you are anti-Cassel, and would be forced to agree with me.

Clearly, I gave you far too much credit.

Pro_Angler
10-16-2010, 10:36 AM
So you think they should just let Cassel go out there and throw the ball around and see what happens? I prefer the method they are using. Its called coaching a player. We have played 4 games, its gonna take a little more time than that to get on the same page. If Cassel is still throwing for 150 yards a game at the end of the season I will be shocked, but right now the coaching staff is putting him in a position to be somewhat successful. He has corrected the problem of holding on to the ball too long. He is making better decisions by throwing the ball away instead of throwing interceptions. I think Weiss is doing a great job with Cassel and I think he will improve as the season goes. By week 17 we will have a very accurate picture of what Matt Cassel is, good or bad.

PS Who cares how much he is getting paid. How does that affect anything on the field?

As to your PS...ever heard of LJ???? lmao

figcrostic
10-16-2010, 01:09 PM
As to your PS...ever heard of LJ???? lmao

:lol::lol:

Hayvern
10-18-2010, 01:43 AM

Are you still fired up about that conservative play calling?