PDA

View Full Version : Additional Officials Needed

Hayvern
10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I wonder if we don't need a couple more zebras on the field for games.

Replay is nice and works the way it is, but with so many missed calls, I wonder if adding a couple of officials would make the game better.

I wonder is adding another back judge would be helpful for pass interference calls.

I also wonder how an additional referee, perhaps and assistant referee would help in protecting the quarterback from late hits.

Your thoughts?

:feedback:

Ryfo18
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
They do this in baseball...I'd say it doesn't work too well:

Umpire Phil Cuzzi Blown Foul Call On Joe Mauer Fair Ball - iViewTube.com (http://www.iviewtube.com/v/92889/umpire-phil-cuzzi-blown-foul-call-on-joe-mauer-fair-ball)

Drunker Hillbilly
10-18-2010, 06:43 PM
There are so many missed calls as it is. This would lead to more calls and just slow the game down.

Chiefster
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't know if that will help or not really.

2010chiefs
10-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Not sure but bad calls have cost the Chiefs 2 games so far. I have a feeling it's not going to get better. They need to be able to overturn bad interference calls and holding calls.

hometeam
10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
The correct solution is allow pass interference calls to be reviewable.

CapitalT
10-18-2010, 10:25 PM

I agree with Hometeam. Maybe any call by a ref should be reviewable.

SIC J
10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Its called home field advantage...........

Three7s
10-18-2010, 11:32 PM
While it would be nice, that would make games take about 10 years. Just can't do it.

hometeam
10-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Why, you get 2 reviews. Wouldnt change anything except what plays where reviewable.

stricken721
10-18-2010, 11:37 PM

While it would be nice, that would make games take about 10 years. Just can't do it.

I agree that the NFL should make it where pass interference calls can be reviewed. How you keep it in check is by making it where it can only be reviewed inside of 2 minutes.

Fastphilly
10-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah, we need a couple more officials to make sure calls are legit on the NFL's latest onslaught on defences..Helmet to helmet hits. Another type of penalty that the refs will have to interpret...We are doomed:imagestore (13):

Fastphilly
10-19-2010, 01:00 AM
I agree that the NFL should make it where pass interference calls can be reviewed. How you keep it in check is by making it where it can only be reviewed inside of 2 minutes.

I'm with you on that ..Spot On!! For the first three quarters a team can overcome a PI...Late in the fourth is a different story..It should be automatic given the stakes that a PI effectively wins the game...The refs have too much power to decide a game on a call that at times is very questionable..No team should have to play their butts off for 58 minutes just to have a part time attorney dressed in a zebra uniform make a bogus call that end your game

AussieChiefsFan
10-19-2010, 02:36 AM
I wonder if we don't need a couple more zebras on the field for games.

Replay is nice and works the way it is, but with so many missed calls, I wonder if adding a couple of officials would make the game better.

I wonder is adding another back judge would be helpful for pass interference calls.

I also wonder how an additional referee, perhaps and assistant referee would help in protecting the quarterback from late hits.

Your thoughts?

:feedback:That'd be good

chief31
10-19-2010, 02:47 AM
There are so many missed calls as it is. This would lead to more calls and just slow the game down.

My thoughts, exactly.

And I agree with this idea too.

PI calls are far to big of a part of the game to leave out of the replay business.

But I hate the cost of defensive PI.

I would likely approve more, if they were to do away with the horrible "Automatic First Down" part of it.

If they gained yardage to the spot of the foul, and didn't lose a down, it would seem far more sensible to me.

If it's fourth and thirty, and you throw a shorter route with DPI, you should not be able to get a first down for any penalty.

That, and that horrible TD catch rule, where they want the reciever to raise the football as his own for a feww wekks before they call it a TD.

HATE that one too.

Canada
10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree that the NFL should make it where pass interference calls can be reviewed. How you keep it in check is by making it where it can only be reviewed inside of 2 minutes.Make it challengeable. You get two challenges a game, just make it a play that you can review. I dont see how it will make the game any longer. You still only get two challenges a game.

Coach
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Make it challengeable. You get two challenges a game, just make it a play that you can review. I dont see how it will make the game any longer. You still only get two challenges a game.

Could you also challenge non-calls? if not, I see the refs letting everyone get away with bloody murder late in the game instead of having their calls second guessed by replay.

Canada
10-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Could you also challenge non-calls? if not, I see the refs letting everyone get away with bloody murder late in the game instead of having their calls second guessed by replay.

I think they would have to make PI a more definite rule as opposed to leaving it open to any type of interpretation. There would have to be a definite line between incidental contact and PI. Im not advocating that this happens, Im just sayin'

hometeam
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
why do you think it would make the game longer.

think about it. NOTHING changes except what calls are challengable. Each team gets two challenges. NOTHING about the amount of game time theoritically spent reviewing plays changes.

potential 40 and 60 yard GAME CHANGING penalties should be reviewable.

hometeam
10-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I think they would have to make PI a more definite rule as opposed to leaving it open to any type of interpretation. There would have to be a definite line between incidental contact and PI. Im not advocating that this happens, Im just sayin'

isnt it pretty definitive now?

NFL Rules - Pass Interference (http://www.footballscrimmage.com/nfl/pass-interference.shtml)

SIC J
10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
PI calls should be made challengeable. Too many have screwed teams over. Whether they weren't really PI's or should've been called illegal contact. Or cuz the ball is not even close to being catchable!!!

Hayvern
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM

And this is at the crux of the matter.

Flowers got on Johnson earlier in that play. Technically, I believe the contact he made early on would have been called a penalty. Then later Johnson did get into Flowers, that contact might have been incidental, it might not, it did not change Flower's direction at all, but Johnson did change direction right about the time the contact was made.

So there is the problem. I could have seen that be a case where it was offsetting penalties, then what happens? The play resulted in a catch, it was a first down catch and it was a huge gain. The extra ten yards they tacked on at the end of the play may have made a difference, who knows for sure.

Ultimately, these kinds of calls are always going to happen. For those that say they have never seen a penalty effect the outcome of the game, well you have not watched much football. A penalty is ALWAYS meant to effect the outcome of the game. And yeah, there are a lot of bad calls.

I am reminded a couple of years ago. Vince Young was about to get sacked, the defender thought he had thrown the ball and did not tackle Young in order to avoid a Roughing the Passer penalty, however, Young did not throw the ball and when the defender pulled up, Young sprinted for a first down.

That call was a BS call, but it had to do with referees interpreting the rules too harshly in an effort to protect players. The Helmet to helmet hit penalties, and hitting a defenseless receiver are getting to the point that we are going to see more and more games come down to officiating.

Something needs be done, add another official or two, or review the calls. Reviewing all calls would not be feasible, but any call that results in a penalty that would give a team a first down should be reviewed in some way.

hometeam
10-19-2010, 06:39 PM
yea i mean cmon.. in theory a pass interference call could go for 99 yards. And we see 40 and 50 yard PI's all the time. Reviewable PI calls is common sense imo.

kckidd8870
10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
you would use them all on D-fense and not be able to use them on a catch or fumble review, ect ect.

CapitalT
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM

I hadn't considered that.

Unfortunately, I think Coach is right on this one. This often happens in the playoffs in hockey and basketball ... it's exciting but annoying.

hometeam
10-20-2010, 09:55 PM
you would use them all on D-fense and not be able to use them on a catch or fumble review, ect ect.

... you have a choice to use them. Wouldnt you rather have the OPTION to use them on a 60 yard penalty?

There is no good reason not to implement it.

As far as refs letting people get away with stuff, the NFL has the most professional refs in the biz. They are going to do the job no matter what.

SIC J
10-21-2010, 01:19 AM
... you have a choice to use them. Wouldnt you rather have the OPTION to use them on a 60 yard penalty?

There is no good reason not to implement it.

As far as refs letting people get away with stuff, the NFL has the most professional refs in the biz. They are going to do the job no matter what.

I'm not so sure about that. There's probably been just as many games where obvious calls were missed or called that screws a team over as there is in basketball. But thats just the way it is. I think some games are still rigged.

chief31
10-21-2010, 01:55 AM
If nothing else, it could just be done like all reviews in OT or the final minutes of a half.

Only reviewable by the booth.

I think the refs would be able to accept having the officials in the booth get the correct call, as to being despised by millions of fans, for a simple mistake.

They often throw a flag and then pick it up when another on-field official tells them what they saw.

If you have ever reffed a game for JFL or any youth team sport, you know, that when you aren't real sure about the call, you would love to have video confirmation. You never want to be the guy who gets blamed for costing someone the game like that.

melted ice
10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Why do we want more refs to call more penalties? Not only does this drive the game to a grinding halt, there will be instances where this will bite both teams in the ***.

SIC J
10-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Why do we want more refs to call more penalties? Not only does this drive the game to a grinding halt, there will be instances where this will bite both teams in the ***.

I don't want more officials, I want Pass Interference calls to be challengeable.