PDA

View Full Version : Short Yardage - Weis needs to cowboy up.

Coach
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Can someone please explain to me why a dominant running team that is averaging 6 yards per carry for the game is afraid to run the ball on short yardage situations?
There have been multiple times over the last few weeks where it has been '3rd and short' or '4th and short' sitatutions and we have thrown the ball nearly every time.

Early in the 1st half of the Texans game yesterday the Chiefs passed the ball on '4th and 2' and didn't convert but were bailed out by a suspect pass interference call. Last week the Chiefs passed on 4th and short it cost us the ball when a field goal would have tied the game.

The final 3rd down play yesterday was 3rd and 2 and the Chiefs threw the ball across the field to Moaeki into double coverage.

We had kicked the Texans butt with the running game the ENTIRE day. Running the ball would have either kiilled clock or cost the Texans a timeout.

Weis needs to play to our strengths on critical plays. Newsflash: Our strength isn't cross-field passes, its running the ball. Weis needs to nut up.

figcrostic
10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Can someone please explain to me why a dominant running team that is averaging 6 yards per carry for the game is afraid to run the ball on short yardage situations?
There have been multiple times over the last few weeks where it has been '3rd and short' or '4th and short' sitatutions and we have thrown the ball nearly every time.

Early in the 1st half of the Texans game yesterday the Chiefs passed the ball on '4th and 2' and didn't convert but were bailed out by a suspect pass interference call. Last week the Chiefs passed on 4th and short it cost us the ball when a field goal would have tied the game.

The final 3rd down play yesterday was 3rd and 2 and the Chiefs threw the ball across the field to Moaeki into double coverage.

We had kicked the Texans butt with the running game the ENTIRE day. Running the ball would have either kiilled clock or cost the Texans a timeout.

Weis needs to play to our strengths on critical plays. Newsflash: Our strength isn't cross-field passes, its running the ball. Weis needs to nut up.

I was thinking the same thing, also not sure why we if we wanted to mix it up why we didn't throw the ball more on first and second down.

Coach
10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure why you ever throw the ball when you are averaging 6 yards a carry . Let them stop the run, then pass the ball.

fairladyZ
10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
cuz everyone and their brother thinks we are going to run it.. They had alot of texans at the line right there. I don't fault the play call or the pass. Neither does haley as in haley's press conference today he said that was the play he wanted and matt went to the #1 option.. It's easy in retrospect to say we should have run it and it might have but it might not have been stopped.

SIC J
10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Probably cuz the Texans were stacking the line so the play was changed at the line to the play action. Thats my guess.

Coach
10-18-2010, 08:29 PM
It's easy in retrospect to say we should have run it and it might have but it might not have been stopped.

Yeah, And it might have been incomplete. If it's 3rd and 8, I'll bite. But on 3rd and 2 when your protecting a lead with under 3 minutes to go in the game and they haven't stopped the run all day???? That's stupidity. I don't care if they did stop it, the clock would have kept rolling. Very poor play call.

70 chiefsfan70
10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah, And it might have been incomplete. If it's 3rd and 8, I'll bite. But on 3rd and 2 when your protecting a lead with under 3 minutes to go in the game and they haven't stopped the run all day???? That's stupidity. I don't care if they did stop it, the clock would have kept rolling. Very poor play call.

Thats very true.......We were running the ball successfully even when every man on the defense knew it was a run!

Even after that 3rd and two, we should have went for it on 4th and two, we'd had a better chance at winning, then to kick it off to a team we had not been able to stop for several drives.

Coach
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
cuz everyone and their brother thinks we are going to run it.. They had alot of texans at the line right there. I don't fault the play call or the pass. Neither does haley as in haley's press conference today he said that was the play he wanted and matt went to the #1 option.. It's easy in retrospect to say we should have run it and it might have but it might not have been stopped.

Thats very true.......We were running the ball successfully even when every man on the defense knew it was a run!

Even after that 3rd and two, we should have went for it on 4th and two, we'd had a better chance at winning, then to kick it off to a team we had not been able to stop for several drives.
Bingo! We had two shots to run the ball for a whopping total of 2 yards to win the game. They were playing the run all day long and never stopped it.

Pro_Angler
10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
I dont have the issue with throwing it, they are expecting the run. I have a issue with the protection and the route running in those cases..

2010chiefs
10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
That's a tough one you guys.Last week we all asked why the Chiefs didn't throw the ball more. Clearly they did this time and did well. The offense played great! Sure play calling could have saved the game for us on the last two drives, however the Defense lost the game for us in the 4th qrtr. It seems to me that the Chiefs defense runs out of gas in the 4th qrtr. Against Indy and this time the Texans. There is no excuse to allow 14 points in 4 min. Our defense is much better then that and they lost the game for an offense that did their job.A Lot to learn for the Chiefs from this game because they dominated for the first 3 qrtrs. GO CHIEFS!

Coach
10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Its about clock management. Oh btw, they may have picked up the 1st down as well.

Three7s
10-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Like I said in a previous thread, it was a deception play, the same one that we ran against the Chargers that got us the TD.

I was wrong about there being only one receiver. Moeaki, Copper, and Bowe were all running routes, and Bowe was wide open. Of course, Cassel appeared on a sports radio show today and he said that it was designed to Moeaki.

This is what I hate about Cassel. Who cares where the play is supposed to go. Anyone could see that Moeaki was covered, SO SURVEY THE FREAKING FIELD!

As for run it or pass it, I don't have an issue, just execution.

chief31
10-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Its about clock management. Oh btw, they may have picked up the 1st down as well.

Very true.

That puts The Texans, if we don't get the first down, in a different position once they do get the ball.

Hopefully Weiss learns from that.

chiefnut
10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
how many times have we seen a run up the middle on 3rd & 2 go nowhere, just like the 3yd pass on 3rd & 5. i have no problem with the call, only the execution. i like to see passes on first downs, draw/screen plays on second & long, passes beyond the sticks on 3rd downs, mix in sweeps w/Charles and between tackle runs w/Jones w/the safeties back off to cover. keep 'em guessn' baby!!

Chiefster
10-20-2010, 12:36 AM
With as successful as we have been with the running game; if we are going to pass in those situations then it needs to be off of play action fake.

Hayvern
10-20-2010, 01:33 AM
You guys crack me up. The best team in the league has just over a 50% 3rd down conversion rate, the Chief's had a over a 56% rate. We cannot always convert on third down, no matter what the play. Yeah, we really needed a couple of third down plays, but we just can't get every one of them.

Three7s
10-20-2010, 01:48 AM
You guys crack me up. The best team in the league has just over a 50% 3rd down conversion rate, the Chief's had a over a 56% rate. We cannot always convert on third down, no matter what the play. Yeah, we really needed a couple of third down plays, but we just can't get every one of them.
It's all hindsight. I'm sure if Moeaki sneaked out without coverage for the TD, everyone would be saying Weis is a genius. Or if Cassel hit Bowe, whom was wide open.....

chief31
10-20-2010, 01:59 AM

It's about clock management.

That fourty seconds that could have been run off would have been more than The Texans left on the clock after the game-winning TD.

That means that they would not have had enough time have done the same thing to win.

I just think that, if you pass the ball in that situation, it absolutely, must be completed.

And there is no way to guarantee that.

Lazeye
10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Third down is not as important for this team as some may think, Haley likes to go for it on fourth down whick I like. It says so much when you are willing to do such a thing, the only problem is that when we fail to convert people are mad at him for being stupid and when we make it people think he is the $h!+. We cannot have it both ways so I say go for it and tell the other team we mean bussiness!!!

chief31
10-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Third down is not as important for this team as some may think, Haley likes to go for it on fourth down whick I like. It says so much when you are willing to do such a thing, the only problem is that when we fail to convert people are mad at him for being stupid and when we make it people think he is the !+. We cannot have it both ways so I say go for it and tell the other team we mean bussiness!!!

Well, in certain areas of the field, I really like going for it on fourth.

But, when the risk outweighs the reward, you just can't do it.

But, for the most part, I really like that we are willing to do it.

Hayvern
10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Third down is not as important for this team as some may think, Haley likes to go for it on fourth down whick I like. It says so much when you are willing to do such a thing, the only problem is that when we fail to convert people are mad at him for being stupid and when we make it people think he is the !+. We cannot have it both ways so I say go for it and tell the other team we mean bussiness!!!

Haley calls plays on this team like I call plays in Madden, never give up the ball, 4th and 10? GO FOR IT!!!

:lol:

matthewschiefs
10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Haley calls plays on this team like I call plays in Madden, never give up the ball, 4th and 10? GO FOR IT!!!

If it works on madden then thats all you need to no. GO FOR IT ALWAYS.

kckidd8870
10-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Weis will run ,run ,run but when it is a key play in the game.He will throw it and its usually not even a high percetage play.I like alot of things they are doing on offense but weis chokes some time in cruisal times in the game.It's like he over thinks himself.What happen so a shallow slant play.Like manning did to use.He didnt get alot of yards when he played use but that 10 yard slant was there.Get Mc Cluster on that slant play and watch what happens.If the first guy misses,he could brak free and take it to the house.all on a simple slant.One other thing I don't understand.Running jone around the end on sweep.Let him be the big monster he is and punish the D-fenders up the middle,when we need those hard two yards.Go Chiefs

Three7s
10-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Hahah, I usually don't mind punting because my defense on Madden is almost always #1. I'll go for it on 4th down if it's like a yard though.

Chief Tyler
10-22-2010, 02:10 AM
He really has been playing the game like one might in a video game. Trick plays, onside kicks to start the game, ect. Some might argue that this team is still fairly young and talent deficient so he has to take more gambles than most, but it caught up to him over the last few weeks. I agree. It was a terrible call and a bad throw, let the outcome of the game be in the hands of our best players (not the highest paid ones).

AkChief49
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Wies needs to CHIEF-up!

Chiefster
10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Wies needs to CHIEF-up!

HA! Quoted for truth! :D

AussieChiefsFan
10-22-2010, 09:50 PM

A very good point! I agree. A team that is the best rushing team in the NFL (ie. The Chiefs :D) should be running the ball on 4th and short, and on any other short yardage situation for that matter.

MDChiefs!
10-23-2010, 02:15 PM
most of all of our rushing yards come on counters, draws, and pulls. We usually dont ever just run it right up the gut. I dont we have the offensive line for it, too small. It would have been another story had we just executed the play correctly

Three7s
10-23-2010, 07:49 PM
most of all of our rushing yards come on counters, draws, and pulls. We usually dont ever just run it right up the gut. I dont we have the offensive line for it, too small. It would have been another story had we just executed the play correctly
Well, if you look at the best rushing attacks through the season, you'll see that almost all of them pull.

The Chiefs did it like it was going out of style when we had Priest and LJ in their primes. It's just very hard to simply run it up the gut and have success regularly.

Coach
10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
It's like he over thinks himself.

Exactly.