PDA

View Full Version : Cassell and bowe

marloweopatchiefs
10-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I wonder what the cassel haters are saying after the past 2 games about cassel. I for one will admit i was wrong on bowe though. The last 2 games he has stepped up and i am taking back what i said it would be a big mistake if we lossed him. He's finally coming through for kc

matthewschiefs
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Bowe had a HUGE letdown 2 weeks ago. He has spent the last 2 weeks makeing up for it. That is showing me something. Its amazing what Bowe can do when he really is trying to go out and make up for something.

Pro_Angler
10-24-2010, 09:26 PM
yes bowe should have practiced some of those porta potty drills before the houston game..

garciakcfan
10-24-2010, 09:51 PM
they just need to keep clicking and everything will be fine...

Hayvern
10-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I have to admit that Bowe seems to have finally woke up to what everyone is saying about him. I am still not so sure that he is over his butterfingers yet, but he has been playing well.

Cassel, eh, the jury is still out. I see the passing plays other QBs are doing out there and I continue to wonder why we do not have the same thing going on here.

Chief Tyler
10-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Bowe played well, Cassel didn't do much wrong, but again, he wasn't the kind of stellar qb that puts a team over the top. His deep throw to Bowe was short, we were just lucky that Jacksonville completely blew that play. Copper's catch was pretty incredible, you can't ask receivers to consistently go out across the middle and extend themselves like that. Earlier in the game he was pressured and severely under threw a wide open receiver, hitting him somewhere near the shins and slightly behind him. Plus, he has an incredible running game to take pressure off of him. I don't expect him to be a superstar and I think we can be a consistent playoff team without one, but Cassel has to improve his accuracy and make the most of the times that he is asked to throw the ball.

Pro_Angler
10-24-2010, 11:40 PM
the blamk throw that cassell made and no reciever in 30yds? cant he see that the reciever didnt run the route?

Canada
10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
the blamk throw that cassell made and no reciever in 30yds? cant he see that the reciever didnt run the route?

doubt it since Bowe should have kept running instead of cutting the route off. Cassel was throwing to the spot Bowe should have been.

Chiefster
10-25-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm not unhappy with Bowe or Cassel at this point.

wolfpack
10-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Last 2 weeks Bowe has made up for the screw ups at indy.But hes still not a true #1 wr. Then again Cassel isn`t a top grade qb.
Still think in the offseason we need to trade or draft a stud wr. Also, draft a qb,and not in the 6th or 7th rnd .

Seek
10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I have to admit that Bowe seems to have finally woke up to what everyone is saying about him. I am still not so sure that he is over his butterfingers yet, but he has been playing well.

Cassel, eh, the jury is still out. I see the passing plays other QBs are doing out there and I continue to wonder why we do not have the same thing going on here.

The reason is we are playing Marty Ball. I don't care how good a QB is, if you throw the ball as much as some teams do, it will bite them in the but. Look at Drew Breeze yesterday. Two INt's for TD's. and they lost the game.

There is no reason to throw the ball around when your running attack is getting 200 yards a game. Look at what Oakland did yesterday. 57 runs, for 320+ yards.

The Chiefs are playing to their strengths and they are playing smart. I don't know why fans are wanting something different. This is a winning formula.

figcrostic
10-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Last 2 weeks Bowe has made up for the screw ups at indy.But hes still not a true #1 wr. Then again Cassel isn`t a top grade qb.
Still think in the offseason we need to trade or draft a stud wr. Also, draft a qb,and not in the 6th or 7th rnd .

:lol: :lol: Completely agree

Seek
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Seriously, this is what people are going to complain about this week.

He threw it on Bowes break. Bowe ran the wrong route but would have been wide open. I saw Cassell make the audible because it was a slap on his butt three times like he was a cow boy. It was the first I had seen that. Cassel duplicated that audible after ther play as Cassel was a little upset with Bowe for obviously missing the audible. It was also the same route that Bowe scored a TD on later in the game with that great play keeping his feet in bounds.

matthewschiefs
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Bowe was on the route at the time Cassell was throwing the football. He just cut the route short. It was a miscommucation nothing more. It happens.

honda522
10-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Finally Cassel has his go to guy.

Ryfo18
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Finally Cassel has his go to guy.

You mean go to guys? Charles and Jones :chiefs:

billb40
10-25-2010, 11:10 AM
The reason is we are playing Marty Ball. I don't care how good a QB is, if you throw the ball as much as some teams do, it will bite them in the but. Look at Drew Breeze yesterday. Two INt's for TD's. and they lost the game.

There is no reason to throw the ball around when your running attack is getting 200 yards a game. Look at what Oakland did yesterday. 57 runs, for 320+ yards.

The Chiefs are playing to their strengths and they are playing smart. I don't know why fans are wanting something different. This is a winning formula.

Great post a great in site on the Chiefs offense . Spot on correct.

Hayvern
10-25-2010, 02:57 PM

No, I am not looking for 40 passes in a game, what I am looking for are those wide open receivers that get hit just at the right moment with a pass. Cassel's passes seem a split second late all the time.

fairladyZ
10-25-2010, 03:16 PM
QB Matt Cassel has a 108.9 passer rating over his last four games - the best mark of any QB in the league over that span (min. 100 atts).

Ryfo18
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
No, I am not looking for 40 passes in a game, what I am looking for are those wide open receivers that get hit just at the right moment with a pass. Cassel's passes seem a split second late all the time.

I have no idea what you are referring to here...

He's missed some passes, all QBs do. He played absolutely spectacular last game given the number of times he was called to throw the ball.

Hayvern
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I have no idea what you are referring to here...

He's missed some passes, all QBs do. He played absolutely spectacular last game given the number of times he was called to throw the ball.

Eh, it is just what I am seeing. My opinion, doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong.

:chiefs:

Ryfo18
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Eh, it is just what I am seeing. My opinion, doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong.

Fair enough! :efpge:

Seek
10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

You mean passes like the two TD passes yesterday.

marloweopatchiefs
10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
The only way kc drafts a qb is to be cassels backup. There is no way that he will not be the starter for years to come if he keeps it up. I believe he has 9 td's and only 3 interceptions this year. Way better then last year so far.

CapitalT
10-25-2010, 06:52 PM

As long as we win, I really don't care but I think it's fair to say that Cassel didn't look all that great yesterday. On two of his big plays he had to rely on spectacular catches. Perhaps he is being asked to play conservatively but that doesn't explain everything in my opinion.

I think Cassel can play better but, as it stands now, it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a qb in the first two rounds of next years draft.

Ryfo18
10-25-2010, 07:14 PM
As long as we win, I really don't care but I think it's fair to say that Cassel didn't look all that great yesterday. On two of his big plays he had to rely on spectacular catches. Perhaps he is being asked to play conservatively but that doesn't explain everything in my opinion.

I think Cassel can play better but, as it stands now, it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a qb in the first two rounds of next years draft.

Again, this is ridiculous. Wide receivers are supposed to make those catches. Cassel is remarkably better than last year. The last two years, he took 89 sacks! Yes, 89!!!!! This year, he is getting rid of the ball faster and making smart decisions at the same time (only 3 INTs). He's been sacked 5 times in 6 games. Cassel is getting better every week, and it's extremely encouraging.

What everyone on this site fails to realize is that franchise QBs like Manning, Brady, etc. aren't freely available that we can just pluck up and replace Cassel with. As he continues to grow, I have no doubt he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback. Charlie Weis is not asking a lot of him on offense, but he's making plays when he is asked to. He's getting better every week, and he's putting this team in a position to win by not turning the ball over.

CapitalT
10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Again, this is ridiculous. Wide receivers are supposed to make those catches. Cassel is remarkably better than last year. The last two years, he took 89 sacks! Yes, 89!!!!! This year, he is getting rid of the ball faster and making smart decisions at the same time (only 3 INTs). He's been sacked 5 times in 6 games. Cassel is getting better every week, and it's extremely encouraging.

What everyone on this site fails to realize is that franchise QBs like Manning, Brady, etc. aren't freely available that we can just pluck up and replace Cassel with. As he continues to grow, I have no doubt he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback. Charlie Weis is not asking a lot of him on offense, but he's making plays when he is asked to. He's getting better every week, and he's putting this team in a position to win by not turning the ball over.

I don't think anything I said was ridiculous. Expecting our receivers to make spectacular catches is ridiculous.

I think Cassel needs to get better if we're going to get to the next step. I think Cassel would admit that. Perhaps I should get a demerit for stating the obvious.

Ryfo18
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think anything I said was ridiculous. Expecting our receivers to make spectacular catches is ridiculous.

I think Cassel needs to get better if we're going to get to the next step. I think Cassel would admit that. Perhaps I should get a demerit for stating the obvious.

Fair enough...I agree though, he should complete 80% of his passes from here on out, throw at least 3 TD passes, and have a minimum of 12 yds/attempt. Against the Jags he only managed to complete a meager 72% of his passes, only threw 2 TD passes, and had a paltry 10.7 yds/attempt. I'm not sure what was so spectacular about the first touchdown catch. The run after the catch was great, but I think positional players should be expected to make big plays...

Pro_Angler
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I would love to see a super star reciever come here or draft someone very high that can be fast..More then a new QB

marloweopatchiefs
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Were We Wrong On Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel? - SB Nation Kansas City (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2010/10/25/1773022/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-matt-cassel-jamaal-charles-thomas-jones)

You cassel haters really need to get a life as i stated before. Ftw watch the 2 td passes he threw to bowe..there is no way kc is drafting a qb. Cassel is the franchise qb for years to come like it or not.

Chief Tyler
10-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Were We Wrong On Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel? - SB Nation Kansas City (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2010/10/25/1773022/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-matt-cassel-jamaal-charles-thomas-jones)

You cassel haters really need to get a life as i stated before. Ftw watch the 2 td passes he threw to bowe..there is no way kc is drafting a qb. Cassel is the franchise qb for years to come like it or not.

He had 13 completions on the game. His completion to Bowe was underthrown, if there was any sort of coverage it would have been an incompletion. He severely overthrew copper and left him out to dry, if it weren't for the new rule we could have very well lost a player for the year. He underthrew another receiver, I believe the one just called up and hit him in the knee. He overthrew Bowe and forced him to make an incredible TD catch. It's hard to argue but the pass intended for Bowe when he ran the wrong route looked pretty uncatchable anyway. He has the best running game in the NFL supporting him and some of the most dynamic backfield pass catchers to dump it off to, a sure handed tight end and a receiver that's currently playing out of his mind. He hasn't done anything that a mediocre QB couldn't be doing. Heck, he was outplayed by Bouman in the first half. I don't expect him to put up consistent deep gems like the elite quarterbacks seem to be able to do, I don't expect him to be able to slot it into a window the size of a basketball hoop to a receiver toeing the sideline, but I do expect him to put the routine throws in a position where the receivers can take the ball in and make their move in one fluid motion, something which he's been very inconsistent with.

I think most of the people that don't like Cassel are like me. We don't hate him, we want him to succeed, but we're unimpressed by his pedestrian-at-best performances. We want to see this team put over the top and in almost every case that change starts at the QB position.

CapitalT
10-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Fair enough...I agree though, he should complete 80% of his passes from here on out, throw at least 3 TD passes, and have a minimum of 12 yds/attempt. Against the Jags he only managed to complete a meager 72% of his passes, only threw 2 TD passes, and had a paltry 10.7 yds/attempt. I'm not sure what was so spectacular about the first touchdown catch. The run after the catch was great, but I think positional players should be expected to make big plays...

It sounds like you really feel great about Cassel. Almost like there is almost no room for improvement ... nothing more we could possibly expect from him.

I suppose there are some who want this site to consist entirely of pollyanna cheerleading. I prefer to talk about the team on the field.

captainamerica
10-26-2010, 01:35 AM
I'll be one of the 1st ones to say that Cassel has been playing well lately. I've been hard on Cassel in the past, but here lately he's been playing good football. He doesn't turn the ball over and he's improved by leaps and bounds when it comes to not holding onto the football for too long this season. He's good at managing the game. Weis deserves some credit as well for Cassel's success. Weis is playing to our team strengths and has been doing a very good job lately at masking Cassel's weaknesses.

With that said Cassel does have weaknesses. Sure he's been playing decently lately, but when you have a football team that leads the league in rushing, you as a QB should be playing decently. I mean it's not like Cassel isn't without help. Here's my thoughts on Cassel, he's not going to cost us very many games, which is great for the team we have. We have a team that can win with our defense and running game alone. With that being said, for those games that we need our QB to make the game winning drive down the field, I don't feel confident with Cassel as our QB. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but I don't think he will. I just don't see Cassel as the guy that can get it done in the clutch when the game is in his hands and the offense is squarely on his shoulders.

As for D-Bowe, he's had 2 great games which I love, but his problem has never been talent related. It's always been a problem with his focus and consistency. Two games doesn't all of a sudden make him a consistent player. I love the way he's been playing lately and I truly hope he keeps it up, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I hope I didn't come off as too negative, because I'm really not trying to be. I'm happy for both of them and I think they both have been playing well and I hope they keep it up. All I know is right now there's no better time to be a Chiefs fan. Were 1st place in our division and our future's so bright I gotta wear shades. :punk:

chief31
10-26-2010, 02:32 AM

If we get a regular possession reciever. then I am probably going to be just fine with Bowe where he is.

He is, and always has been, a big play threat.

So long as his dropped pass affliction improves, I don't see how you let this guy go anywhere.

He had 13 completions on the game.

Out of 18 attempts.

His completion to Bowe was underthrown, if there was any sort of coverage it would have been an incompletion. He severely overthrew copper and left him out to dry, if it weren't for the new rule we could have very well lost a player for the year. He underthrew another receiver, I believe the one just called up and hit him in the knee. He overthrew Bowe and forced him to make an incredible TD catch. It's hard to argue but the pass intended for Bowe when he ran the wrong route looked pretty uncatchable anyway. He has the best running game in the NFL supporting him and some of the most dynamic backfield pass catchers to dump it off to, a sure handed tight end and a receiver that's currently playing out of his mind. He hasn't done anything that a mediocre QB couldn't be doing. Heck, he was outplayed by Bouman in the first half. I don't expect him to put up consistent deep gems like the elite quarterbacks seem to be able to do, I don't expect him to be able to slot it into a window the size of a basketball hoop to a receiver toeing the sideline, but I do expect him to put the routine throws in a position where the receivers can take the ball in and make their move in one fluid motion, something which he's been very inconsistent with.

I think most of the people that don't like Cassel are like me. We don't hate him, we want him to succeed, but we're unimpressed by his pedestrian-at-best performances. We want to see this team put over the top and in almost every case that change starts at the QB position.

Pedestrian, at best?

I think that is a bit of an exageration. Few people would call a 144 QB Rating (As Cassel had against The Jags) nor a 122.9 QB Rating (As Cassel had on the road, against The Texans) Pedestrian.

When the running game is your bread and butter, as it is with The Chiefs, who rank no. 1 in rushing in The NFL, Cassel has been exactly what you want from your QB. 5 TD passes, and zero Ints in two games is nothing short of amazing, when you consider the few attempts.

For the season, Cassel has 9 TDs and 3 Ints.

24 TDs, 8 Ints and a QB Rating of 91.5, as his current numbers would average out to over 16 games, is incredible.

If you disagree with that, then you should have a look at the career of a guy named Joe Montana.

Because a season like that would fit perfectly on Montana's carrer list.

I understand feeling a lack in confidence in cassel. I have that too. I am waiting to see some specific throws from him.

But really. These past two games have been all that I could ever hope for from a QB.

At this point of the season, with a half-and-half runningback tandem, Cassel would get my vote for offensive MVP.

Ryfo18
10-26-2010, 03:29 AM
It sounds like you really feel great about Cassel. Almost like there is almost no room for improvement ... nothing more we could possibly expect from him.

I suppose there are some who want this site to consist entirely of pollyanna cheerleading. I prefer to talk about the team on the field.

Agreed, there is room for improvement. But he's getting better every week in my opinion, I have full confidence that will continue. He's made a huge transition to making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball quicker. 89 sacks over the last 2 years, and now 5 through 6 games! It's why the Chiefs are sustaining drives, putting 30+ points on the board. He has been inaccurate on some throws, but it's going to get better as the season goes on and he continues to get more comfortable in the pocket. Cassel is making huge strides compared to last year. I truly think he has tons of potential to be a solid franchise QB as he continues to develop.

CapitalT
10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
2 for 3 , 35 yards - with a 2 yard touchdown pass gives you a 146 QB rating.

Chief Tyler
10-26-2010, 10:56 AM
If we get a regular possession reciever. then I am probably going to be just fine with Bowe where he is.

He is, and always has been, a big play threat.

So long as his dropped pass affliction improves, I don't see how you let this guy go anywhere.

Out of 18 attempts.

Pedestrian, at best?

I think that is a bit of an exageration. Few people would call a 144 QB Rating (As Cassel had against The Jags) nor a 122.9 QB Rating (As Cassel had on the road, against The Texans) Pedestrian.

When the running game is your bread and butter, as it is with The Chiefs, who rank no. 1 in rushing in The NFL, Cassel has been exactly what you want from your QB. 5 TD passes, and zero Ints in two games is nothing short of amazing, when you consider the few attempts.

For the season, Cassel has 9 TDs and 3 Ints.

24 TDs, 8 Ints and a QB Rating of 91.5, as his current numbers would average out to over 16 games, is incredible.

If you disagree with that, then you should have a look at the career of a guy named Joe Montana.

Because a season like that would fit perfectly on Montana's carrer list.

I understand feeling a lack in confidence in cassel. I have that too. I am waiting to see some specific throws from him.

But really. These past two games have been all that I could ever hope for from a QB.

At this point of the season, with a half-and-half runningback tandem, Cassel would get my vote for offensive MVP.

I never said anything about his numbers. His numbers look pretty good over the last few games for the relatively small roll he plays (as far as quarterbacks go) but just look at where a lot of those numbers are coming from. To me it hasn't been consistent and it hasn't been the kind of play you can count on to produce consistently against a competent defense. Honestly the difference I see between last year's Cassel and this year's Cassel is confidence. I think the apparent change in play is more due to the quality of players he has around him now. Like I said, when he's able to hit his targets in stride and make the job of his receivers easier on a consistent basis, I'll change my tune. He was one of only a couple QBs to have back to back 400 yard games and he came into KC and stunk it up for a year. I'm still not convinced that he's any different a QB than the one that led the Pats to 11-5 and showed routine frustration just a year later (I'll give credit where credit is due. He did have a few awesome plays like the dart to Bowe against the Texans and his presence does look a lot better).

Btw, if anybody follows Kansas State football, you might know that Carson Coffman has some of the best numbers in college football. He's dropped off recently but through the first 4 or 5 games he was up there with the likes of Gabbert, Weeden, Crist, Ponder, Stanzi, Luck, ect. but just watch a game and it's easy to see that he's not on the same level as those players and certainly not a QB that is a fit for the Wildcats (to most he's not fit to be a BCS conference starter).

Seek
10-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Not sure I saw the same game you guys did. The one pass to Bowe for a TD needed help from Bowe other than that. I didn't see what you did.

Since the San Fran Game, there has been no QB better than Cassel.

I think it is fair to say, that there are a set number of fans, who just won't believe in him regardless of what he does, and looks for the one play a game to validate their opinion, when realistically, that one play happens to every QB in the league.

Now, I am not saying he a top 5 QB. He is an average QB, who is still learning to play the game at this level. He is doing what the team ask of him. If his performance continues as it has the last four games. I would be very pissed if they drafted a QB with an early pick, knowing there are other holes yet to fill.

Ryfo18
10-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Not sure I saw the same game you guys did. The one pass to Bowe for a TD needed help from Bowe other than that. I didn't see what you did.

I think it is fair to say, that there are a set number of fans, who just won't believe in him regardless of what he does, and looks for the one play a game to validate their opinion, when realistically, that one play happens to every QB in the league.

Now, I am not saying he a top 5 QB. He is an average QB, who is still learning to play the game at this level. He is doing what the team ask of him. If his performance continues as it has the last four games. I would be very pissed if they drafted a QB with an early pick, knowing there are other holes yet to fill.

:postpimp4ib:

I think the reality is that some fans want a high flying attack, throwing the ball 40+ times a game, racking up 300+ passing and 3TDs. Why don't you ask the Saints, Broncos, and Chargers fans how they like this gameplan. The Chiefs gameplan is phenomenal right now. No team can stop our running attack. If they want to stop the running attack they have to move more defenders in the box. Thus, the passing game becomes wide open. There is no reason to pass the ball for the sake of passing the ball when Charles and Jones can pound it out for 5+ ypc on the ground. Force the other team to start bringing safeties up and coming out with 3-4 linebackers before you take to the air.

Hayvern
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Yeah, well at least one of them was way behind.

Ryfo18
10-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, well at least one of them was way behind.

You wouldn't accept a million dollars if the bills weren't crisp would you? :lol:

N TX Dave
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
You wouldn't accept a million dollars if the bills weren't crisp would you? :lol:
Last year it was we are not winning which I agreed with but now it's we are not winning with the long in stride pass and every game by 30 points. I wonder about being hung with a new rope?

:yahoo: :yahoo: :chiefs: :yahoo::yahoo:

CapitalT
10-26-2010, 07:17 PM

It's possible we were not looking at the same things. I was thinking about the catch Copper had as well.

We faced some of the easier defenses during the stretch you are talking about. In addition, we have the best rushing team in the league. It should be a lot easier for us to pass when other teams are expecting us to run.

What disturbs me that he has been very inaccurate. Well below average ... and not on difficult throws ... on easy throws. If we're not seeing the same thing on this issue then we should agree to disagree because my mind won't change based on what I've seen ... at least so far.

I want to believe in Cassel. I think he can get better. He has strengths and, barring an injury, he will be our quarterback for the rest of the year. All I'm saying is that I think he needs to improve if we want to get to the next step ... that's it.

northwest
10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I see the room for Cassel to improve, I really do.

But I really can't believe I get on here and people are still negatively talking about him. We get it - he's not a franchise QB. Not every team in the NFL gets one. In fact, I can only think of a handful of teams that have one. I feel like some Chiefs fans are in a delusional world that has a large number of extremely talented QBs.

None of the Chiefs fans can say they're not impressed with the improvements we've made this year, not to mention the improvements we've made from week to week. Even Cassel. It kind of reminds me of some parents making HUGE improvements on their home, and the kids complaining about the furniture the next day. One step at a time....

It's very normal to not have a superstar QB right now. I am extremely happy with the Chiefs right now as a team. That is all.

KristofLaw
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/10/29.jpg

:sFl_canada2:

Sorry I just love that pic. Don't worry about the boys, with JC and TJ decimating run defences week after week and as the wins pile up they will have the time to make some numbers.

I hate that snot in San D and he's leading the league in passing yards, I wouldn't want his pansy ***. Matt's cool and he's growing into a leader here, give him some time... watch. :D His passer rating in NE was around 92.0 which is where he is at currently this season. I wouldn't mind a higher completion rating though.
:sign0104:

chief31
10-27-2010, 02:05 AM
I never said anything about his numbers. His numbers look pretty good over the last few games for the relatively small roll he plays (as far as quarterbacks go) but just look at where a lot of those numbers are coming from. To me it hasn't been consistent and it hasn't been the kind of play you can count on to produce consistently against a competent defense. Honestly the difference I see between last year's Cassel and this year's Cassel is confidence. I think the apparent change in play is more due to the quality of players he has around him now. Like I said, when he's able to hit his targets in stride and make the job of his receivers easier on a consistent basis, I'll change my tune. He was one of only a couple QBs to have back to back 400 yard games and he came into KC and stunk it up for a year. I'm still not convinced that he's any different a QB than the one that led the Pats to 11-5 and showed routine frustration just a year later (I'll give credit where credit is due. He did have a few awesome plays like the dart to Bowe against the Texans and his presence does look a lot better).

Btw, if anybody follows Kansas State football, you might know that Carson Coffman has some of the best numbers in college football. He's dropped off recently but through the first 4 or 5 games he was up there with the likes of Gabbert, Weeden, Crist, Ponder, Stanzi, Luck, ect. but just watch a game and it's easy to see that he's not on the same level as those players and certainly not a QB that is a fit for the Wildcats (to most he's not fit to be a BCS conference starter).

I think the most impressive thing about the last couple of games is that Cassel is starting to get a feel for the pocket.

When pressure is coming, and when the pocket is closing in and such.

Alot of that is due to better protection, up front. I can't say enough about the turnaround on the o-line.

And I understand that most of the doubts about Cassel and Bowe, alike, are based upon consistency. Or, maybe a "prove it." mentality, as I have about it.

And Cassel has been.

If not for a couple of balls that Bowe should have caught, (Some pretty big plays there, too) then Cassel's numbers would be extremely impressive.

It may not look like what we think it is supposed to look like, but... If it continues..... Then we really have somthing here.

And no one is going to be more thrilled to change his stance on the Cassel trade, and the contract, than I will.

If he ends up being everything that managment saw in him.... Then Pioli wins my vote, from here, on out.

As does Haley, and Weiss.

I keep telling Cassel to "prove it". And he keeps proving it.

Not sure how many times he wil have to prove it, before I am convinced. But each time he does, my doubts get smaller.

On this play, it looked like a moment sooner would have found Bowe completely uncovered.

It seems that both DBs were coming from well behind Bowe, suggesting that the best opprtunity was missed.

But... even having not found Bowe while he was completely uncovered is ok, if you still complete the pass. The running by Bowe is a great bonus.

If you looked around the entire NFL, you'd see that a TD pass where the WR breaks away after the catch is pretty common, even among the big names.

I started the season with alot of doubts about this team.

Alot of hope. But alot of doubts.

I am now running out of doubts.

Anyone else?

Chiefster
10-27-2010, 02:10 AM
I will remain cautiously optimistic until I see what the second half of the season holds.

chief31
10-27-2010, 02:20 AM
I will remain cautiously optimistic until I see what the second half of the season holds.

Gotta be pickin' away at those doubts, no?

pbatrucker
10-27-2010, 04:27 AM
On the pass to Bowe that everyone says was thrown short:
Did anyone think if Bowe had been lead he would have been covered by the safety. And that Cassel intentionally threw the ball short, exspecting Bowe to cut the route short. If that is the case, then Bowe and Cassel are finally getting on the same page and we could have something special.

azchiefsfan
10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Cassell and Bowe are going to be as good as we all could hope for. :beat_DeadHorse:The fact is , as I said about 100 times this off season, we would be as good as out O line. The line is finally stepping up and opening lanes and giving Cassell time to throw. Now watch as Cassell and Bowe start to get in rhythm on game day like they are in practice. Cassell was running for his life, and now each week he is getting more confident. I will hold off calling the doubters "haters" just yet as Cassell and Bowe do have something to prove. I am certain, however, even the doubters will be believers soon.

pbatrucker
10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not ready to say Cassel is good yet but according to NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League (www.nfl.com) stats he is the number 9 rated QB in the NFL this week ahead of a lot of big name QB's.

SIC J
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
On the pass to Bowe that everyone says was thrown short:
Did anyone think if Bowe had been lead he would have been covered by the safety. And that Cassel intentionally threw the ball short, exspecting Bowe to cut the route short. If that is the case, then Bowe and Cassel are finally getting on the same page and we could have something special.

I thought he put the ball where it needed to be for Bowe to make a play.

pbatrucker
10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I thought he put the ball where it needed to be for Bowe to make a play.
Me too!

Connie Jo
10-27-2010, 12:54 PM

I'd like to see more of a passing game too, and believe it is a crucial factor necessary to make it through playoffs advancing to, & winning a Super Bowl. There are too many strong defenses today able to stop a top rushing team...we have to be able to rely on a passing game when coming up against such defenses.

doubt it since Bowe should have kept running instead of cutting the route off. Cassel was throwing to the spot Bowe should have been.

On point...exactly! I was there, saw it with my own eyes, and Bowe wasn't where he was suppose to be. Cassel was respectively upset with Bowe, obvious from his body language...and they had a conversation right after. QB's don't always have a clear unobstructed view of their intended receiver, & rely on that receiver to do his part, be where he is suppose to be as an intended target...Bowe wasn't, for whatever reason.

I'm gonna respectively disagree with you. I've had faith in Bowe since they drafted him, an outstanding top WR in college, he was my #1 draft preference in 2007. He truly is more dedicated, talented & skilled than he sometimes is given credit for being. He is still in his early career years, and it's very typical for a top WR in the NFL to begin peaking around their 4-5th year as a starter, same is true for QB's.

I've followed Bowe's career paying attention to his comments & behavior...he talks often of 'team effort' being critical, other thoughts of wisdom. He is not a believer in a one man show, although he is a firm believer in being the best he can be for God, himself and his team.

The relationship between Cassel & Bowe is a very good one both on & off the field...that is obvious from watching the two of them interact during the game, whether it be when a mistake is made, or a goal is accomplished. Such a relationship between a QB & top WR is critical with winning...IE: Montana/Rice.

Bowe also has a geniune deep faith in God, which may seem unrelated & insignificant to football & many fans of the game, but I know better. Personally, I believe God is important & connected to all aspects of a persons life...a deep genuine faith & trust in God contributes positively to a persons life, including professionally. :)

Yep...I'm a loyal Bowe fan...a fan of him as a top WR for the Chiefs, and a fan of him as a person too. I have faith my belief in him will prevail, but if not, well...no point in crossing bridges unnecessary at this time. :)

:chiefs: GO CHIEFS!!!!

Xanathol
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
There are so many things that we as spectators will never know - did someone run the wrong route or did someone throw to the wrong route? Did someone miss a read? Are things like chemistry there, ie. does the WR have faith that his QB will not hang him out to dry? Are they on the same page as to when to break off a route and if so, how to do it?

There's a lot more to playing the game than just finding a guy who can catch and finding a guy who can throw. One team's 'unstoppable back shoulder throw' is another team's pick six.

Connie Jo
11-02-2010, 12:29 AM
There are so many things that we as spectators will never know - did someone run the wrong route or did someone throw to the wrong route? Did someone miss a read? Are things like chemistry there, ie. does the WR have faith that his QB will not hang him out to dry? Are they on the same page as to when to break off a route and if so, how to do it?

There's a lot more to playing the game than just finding a guy who can catch and finding a guy who can throw. One team's 'unstoppable back shoulder throw' is another team's pick six.

Exactly!! REP!!
:punk:

Hayvern
11-02-2010, 01:56 AM
I am not looking for more passing, I am however looking for a passing game that does not look so forced and difficult. It just seems like every reception is hard fought and barely complete.

Where are those throws to the wide open receiver? There have been some good throws to Moecki, but you can count them on one hand.

I know most of you say that with our running game, we don't need to pass, well I call BS. Sunday's game proved that you need to have at least the ability to move the ball effectively through the air.

marloweopatchiefs
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
They did move the ball...watch the ot drive that won kc the game!

Connie Jo
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I am not looking for more passing, I am however looking for a passing game that does not look so forced and difficult. It just seems like every reception is hard fought and barely complete.

Where are those throws to the wide open receiver? There have been some good throws to Moecki, but you can count them on one hand.

I know most of you say that with our running game, we don't need to pass, well I call BS. Sunday's game proved that you need to have at least the ability to move the ball effectively through the air.

REP!! We won't make it through the playoffs if not improved on with a consistent passing game to fall back on. Too many opposing defenses in the NFL of which will make it to the playoffs that are able to stop a rushing game.

spiman
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I do not trust
Bowe Unless you think Randy Moss can screw up this good thing going on At KC get Randy Moss :raisux:

Connie Jo
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I do not trust
Bowe Unless you think Randy Moss can screw up this good thing going on At KC get Randy Moss :raisux:

I trust Bowe in all aspects, more than I would Moss. I don't dislike Randy, in fact after watching a one on one interview he did from his private home a few years ago, I gained much respect for him as a person. I think he's moody, on & off with negative or positive personality, however.

I believe Bowe to be by far more of a team player, less of a distraction, not moody, nor does he have a personality of which would belittle someone to the extreme Moss is known to have done.

In final thought...did you see the up in the air acrobatic tackle/tumble Bowe took this past Sunday? I witnessed it personally, almost directly down from where I was sitting in upper level. It was absolutely amazing the athletic limberness of Bowe. He bounced up like a rubber ball, no pain, appeared not to be affected at all...& his uncushioned rear/hips hit that ground HARD!! He held on to the ball the entire time, regardless.

The dude looked to be a gymnist in the olympics, for lack of a better description. I don't know if the play made ESPN, but I speculated it might have, as amazing as it was. Bowe IMO is looking more & more to have the athletic abilities & talent of an amazingly skilled WR in many aspects...I believe he will continue to improve as such.

Ryfo18
11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I trust Bowe in all aspects, more than I would Moss. I don't dislike Randy, in fact after watching a one on one interview he did from his private home a few years ago, I gained much respect for him as a person. I think he's moody, on & off with negative or positive personality, however.

I believe Bowe to be by far more of a team player, less of a distraction, not moody, nor does he have a personality of which would belittle someone to the extreme Moss is known to have done.

In final thought...did you see the up in the air acrobatic tackle/tumble Bowe took this past Sunday? I witnessed it personally, almost directly down from where I was sitting in upper level. It was absolutely amazing the athletic limberness of Bowe. He bounced up like a rubber ball, no pain, appeared not to be affected at all...& his uncushioned rear/hips hit that ground HARD!! He held on to the ball the entire time, regardless.

The dude looked to be a gymnist in the olympics, for lack of a better description. I don't know if the play made ESPN, but I speculated it might have, as amazing as it was. Bowe IMO is looking more & more to have the athletic abilities & talent of an amazingly skilled WR in many aspects...I believe he will continue to improve as such.

As a matter of fact, it was #10 on top 10 plays!