PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of KC hosting a Superbowl?

ginmqi
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Currently, I'm in Dallas for a few weeks and this city will host Superbowl 45 in Feb 2011 and will be the first time that DFW hosts a Superbowl. (ofc talk of the town/ESPN is how the Cowboys are choking big time, unlikely to make it to become first team in NFL history to play superbowl in its home stadium, but thats another issue)

So was looking at future Superbowl hosting cities 46 is IND, 47 is in NOLA, 48 is in some stadium in NJ, which is a completely open stadium.

I remember KC voters turning down some tax increase to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead, which according to Wikipedia, NFL was going to award Superbowl 49 in 2015 to KC provided it had a roof!

So is there still plans to try to put up a roof on Arrowhead? Or how likely is NFL willing to host a Superbowl in a fully open stadium?

Would be totally awesome to see Superbowl come to KC...and by 2015 hopefully our team will have matured and be considered as much of a Superbowl contender as Steelers/Colts/Pats/etc.

KristofLaw
10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't know what the remaining odds are to host the big game. But I do think the NFL should realize well over half their fans live in areas which are accustomed to winter weather.

Sure it's nice to have a vacation in Florida but many of my favorite games have been in weather. Sure it's a risk, but their intelligent I'm sure they could come up with some back-up plans if the weather were to be too crazy.

This is not just in regards to KC, apologies to go off topic somewhat.

GlennBree
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
IMO EVERY STADIUM , EVERY GAME, EVERY TIME SHOULD BE OPEN AIR! It's how the game began years ago...and I personally hate the closed stadiums. If you're too big of a Baby to brave the elements, than stay you @$$ home!

(just my 2 cents...obviously....never gonna be that way)

ginmqi
10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
IMO EVERY STADIUM , EVERY GAME, EVERY TIME SHOULD BE OPEN AIR! It's how the game began years ago...and I personally hate the closed stadiums. If you're too big of a Baby to brave the elements, than stay you @$$ home!

haha, totally agree. True grid iron game.

But with how popular the NFL is, tickets are quite expensive even for reg season, let alone Superbowl. So for the Big Game it's basically a big gathering of posh, wealthy celebs and people who can afford the time/money to travel there. They're not even used to exposing their Mercedes to light rain let alone their own bodies to the outside elements!

But as I said, the Jersey Shore Superbowl is supposedly a completely open stadium so we'll see.

Maybe the local govt is working on putting up another tax proposal to put up a roof on arrowhead.

#58ChiefsFan
10-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I hope I never live to see the day they put a roof on Arrowhead. All the stadiums selling the naming rights makes me sick as well. Hopefully the tradition of our stadium isn't for sale just to host a superbowl.

matthewschiefs
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM

I agree. the elements are part of the game. The big game to decide who wins it all should not be any diffrent.

SIC J
10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Can you imagine how loud it would be if they put a roof over Arrowhead? LOL

Hayvern
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Currently, I'm in Dallas for a few weeks and this city will host Superbowl 45 in Feb 2011 and will be the first time that DFW hosts a Superbowl. (ofc talk of the town/ESPN is how the Cowboys are choking big time, unlikely to make it to become first team in NFL history to play superbowl in its home stadium, but thats another issue)

So was looking at future Superbowl hosting cities 46 is IND, 47 is in NOLA, 48 is in some stadium in NJ, which is a completely open stadium.

I remember KC voters turning down some tax increase to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead, which according to Wikipedia, NFL was going to award Superbowl 49 in 2015 to KC provided it had a roof!

So is there still plans to try to put up a roof on Arrowhead? Or how likely is NFL willing to host a Superbowl in a fully open stadium?

Would be totally awesome to see Superbowl come to KC...and by 2015 hopefully our team will have matured and be considered as much of a Superbowl contender as Steelers/Colts/Pats/etc.

THe last word I had heard was that no Stadium that could possibly have inclimate whether conditions would host a Superbowl. That meant all northern cities, unless they were a dome.

Then they announced the game will be played in New Jersey and then they said they will do it on a case-by-case basis. They said that consideration on who would get a bowl game would be based on the infrastructure in the city.

I kind of took that to mean that Fly-over cities need not apply.

Canada
10-25-2010, 03:23 PM

...said the girl in Sunny warmTexas!! :lol:

captainamerica
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
I think they should throw all 31 stadiums in a hat and than randomly choose the city to host the Superbowl each year. Than once that stadium is chosen, they than have the option to sell the rights to the Superbowl before that season starts.

Also after a team was randomly chosen to host the Superbowl, I would remove their name from the drawing for next year, until all cities have had a chance to host the big game.

This away everything is fair and done completely randomly. No one would have a right to complain.

BoltWalt
10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
THe last word I had heard was that no Stadium that could possibly have inclimate whether conditions would host a Superbowl. That meant all northern cities, unless they were a dome.

Then they announced the game will be played in New Jersey and then they said they will do it on a case-by-case basis. They said that consideration on who would get a bowl game would be based on the infrastructure in the city.

I kind of took that to mean that Fly-over cities need not apply.
Case by case means who has the most political pull inside of the NFL. The New Jersey Super Bowl is in a stadium that is host to two NFL franchises. Personally I think it sucks that they did away with the "no Stadium that could possibly have in-climate whether conditions would host a Superbowl."

When I watch a Super Bowl I want both teams to be fighting each and not the weather. Such a game skews towards a cold weather team if it goes up against a warm weather team. That kind of does away with the idea of the game being played in a neutral site if both a warm weather team and a cold weather team meat in a cold weather Super Bowl.

KristofLaw
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Case by case means who has the most political pull inside of the NFL. The New Jersey Super Bowl is in a stadium that is host to two NFL franchises. Personally I think it sucks that they did away with the "no Stadium that could possibly have in-climate whether conditions would host a Superbowl."

Alright, but isn't that part of the game and how so many games are decided during each and every season. Darn... we gotta show up in your stadium or Miami's hot weather stadium, where's the Johnny Fairplay in that?

Pro_Angler
10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
if im shelling out all that dough to go to a superbowl, I dont want to be freezing snowed on or rained on.. If the chiefs are playing..i dont care what the weather is im there!!

Canada
10-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I think playing in the heat is just as difficult as playing in the cold. Ask a lineman if he would rather play in 100 degree weather or 60 degree weather. Anyone who is too cold to watch the SuperBowl outdoors can watch it from home.

Hayvern
10-26-2010, 02:34 PM

When I watch a Super Bowl I want both teams to be fighting each and not the weather. Such a game skews towards a cold weather team if it goes up against a warm weather team. That kind of does away with the idea of the game being played in a neutral site if both a warm weather team and a cold weather team meat in a cold weather Super Bowl.

I see your point, but the reality is that unless it is a dome, then weather can always play a factor. The warmer weather in San Diego in February is not so hot that it would be a hindrance, but at the same time, any stadium, including Qualcomm is subject to rain, and that has an impact on the game too. It leans the outcome of the game on teams who play in rainy conditions more often than a team like say the 49ers, or some of the East coast teams.

We are never going to completely take weather out of the equation, and I really don't think that is why the NFL have instituted the policy. The real policy has more to do with the comfort of the fans paying thousands for a ticket.

Chiefster
10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
It will never happen. The NFL will not host a Super Bowl in an open, cold weather venue.

Seek
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't know what the remaining odds are to host the big game. But I do think the NFL should realize well over half their fans live in areas which are accustomed to winter weather.

Fans that go to the superbowl, or not the normal NFL fan. The superbowl, is a celebrity shoot, and those are the fans who are custom to the box suites with heaters.

Hayvern
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
It will never happen. The NFL will not host a Super Bowl in an open, cold weather venue.

In all fairness they are, the stadium in New Jersey that got awarded 2012 is cold and uncovered.

Again, it is a case by case situation and no cold weathered city not named New York will get the game unless it is a dome.

Chiefster
10-26-2010, 08:22 PM
In all fairness they are, the stadium in New Jersey that got awarded 2012 is cold and uncovered.

Again, it is a case by case situation and no cold weathered city not named New York will get the game unless it is a dome.
True; I stand corrected. :bananen_smilies046:

chief31
10-27-2010, 02:37 AM
I would say that weather is a part of football and, as such, should be a part of the championship game.

But I definitely see the point in wanting the teams to compete against each other, on even ground.

Basically, if they were to change it, then I'd be good with that. And if they weren't, then that works just as well for me.

Connie Jo
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I hope I never live to see the day they put a roof on Arrowhead. All the stadiums selling the naming rights makes me sick as well. Hopefully the tradition of our stadium isn't for sale just to host a superbowl.

I would be soooooo upset & mad if they changed the name of Arrowhead, and Lamar (RIP) would be too! I could be wrong, but I don't think the Hunt family will ever sell the rights & sell out Arrowheads historic name. We're blessed as fans, in that the owners of our Chiefs are a family of sentiment, honor & principle, not always about the money, or money only. The Hunt family loves our Chiefs and Arrowhead as much as we do. It is obvious without doubt, when one visits the new Arrowhead and see's to what extreme effort the Hunt family went to incorporating the history of their Chiefs, & the NFL into Arrowheads renovation.

Can you imagine how loud it would be if they put a roof over Arrowhead? LOL
:lol:
My ears are aching just imagining the noise, lol.

Fans that go to the superbowl, or not the normal NFL fan. The superbowl, is a celebrity shoot, and those are the fans who are custom to the box suites with heaters.

Ditto! Very few average NFL fans are in attendance at the Super Bowl. Hell, between the worldwide media, corporate advertising sponsors of the NFL, NFL execs, staff, franchise owners, coaches, players...all the family & connections of those above receiving tickets...there aren't many left for the average fan!

IMO...the Super Bowl will be hosted any place the NFL believes is profitable or of benefit to the NFL in some aspect. As well, many cities don't have an interest in hosting a Super Bowl. Some research indicates the cities lose money related to hosting a Super Bowl, more than profit from any tourist benefit.

stricken721
10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't mind if there's not a Super Bowl in Kansas City. I wouldn't mind if they do have one there, I think that would be awesome. But one thing I want more than anything is to see a Lombardi Trophy in the halls of Arrowhead Stadium because we WON a Super Bowl. :D

stricken721
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I would be soooooo upset & mad if they changed the name of Arrowhead, and Lamar (RIP) would be too! I could be wrong, but I don't think the Hunt family will ever sell the rights & sell out Arrowheads historic name. We're blessed as fans, in that the owners of our Chiefs are a family of sentiment, honor & principle, not always about the money, or money only. The Hunt family loves our Chiefs and Arrowhead as much as we do. It is obvious without doubt, when one visits the new Arrowhead and see's to what extreme effort the Hunt family went to incorporating the history of their Chiefs, & the NFL into Arrowheads renovation.

I remember reading something a while back that the naming rights to Arrowhead were up for sale around 30 million or so I think it was. Clark Hunt did say though that "Arrowhead" would still remain in the name if sold.

Connie Jo
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I remember reading something a while back that the naming rights to Arrowhead were up for sale around 30 million or so I think it was. Clark Hunt did say though that "Arrowhead" would still remain in the name if sold.

Yeah, I think that was related to generating income for the renovation, or to recover if fans support continued to drop as it did last season. Still, as assumed...the Hunt family would retain "Arrowhead" in the name, regardless, which is what I want!! It's all about what 'I' want!! hahahaha :D