PDA

View Full Version : Kids Today!

Chiefster
09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I never thought I would end up sounding like my own parents, but alas the inevitable has happened. Case in point: My youngest son has recently gotten his drivers license, but we have not yet been able to help him purchase his first automobile. So, in the mornings I accompany him to school while he drives; I do this so he can keep in practice for when he gets his own transportation. Well this morning we arrived at the high school as usual, and parked in an appropriate parking place where my son got out and started his day. I got behind the wheel and started to back out into traffic, only I couldnÂ’t because standing directly behind me in the middle of the street was a girl waiting on her obviously very slow moving friend to join her there so that they could cross the street together.

Now, I understand that as motorists one is to give pedestrians the right of way the law rightfully affords them. However, there are, if I remember correctly, one or two laws that I believe we as parents should make our teenagers aware of, such as; crossing the street only in a crosswalk or at the corners. The problem as I see it is proper education and self respect. Many teens are not taught that it might not be polite to inconvenience another person. Now, mind you this was only a minor inconvenience, however, I believe many kids have no self respect which is why it would appear that they have no respect for anyone else. Instead, it would seem that what might well be mistaken for self respect is really a misplaced sense of entitlement; an attitude that screams “I’m entitled to do what I want, where, when and to whom I want” regardless of how much it my affect the lives of anyone else around them.

Kids; have enough self respect to display a little consideration for others.

That is all.
:-D

kenny1937
09-14-2006, 12:33 PM
As Charley Brown's Lucy might say, "The poor girl was all alone on school's highway, and being afraid she needed the support of a slow moving well meaning friend to help her across this very frightening situation, because it is her Great Great Grandma's on her Dad's side fault, and her inbred fears has completely taken over her life making it extremely difficult to make life's hard decisions like crossing the street without the aid of a very slowwwww friend three blocks down, Thank You, that will be five cents please. (grin)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chiefster
09-14-2006, 12:42 PM
kenny1937 wrote:
As Charley Brown's Lucy might say, "The poor girl was all alone on school's highway, and being afraid she needed the support of a slow moving well meaning friend to help her across this very frightening situation, because it is her Great Great Grandma's on her Dad's side fault, and her inbred fears has completely taken over her life making it extremely difficult to make life's hard decisions like crossing the street without the aid of a very slowwwww friend three blocks down, Thank You, that will be five cents please. (grin)

Well put! Please bill my insurance.

Guru
09-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Sounds like your everyday teenager to me.

Whats the problem? You never incconvenienced an adult when you were that age?

Not condoning what she did but I think your standards got a little too high on the average teen. :idea:

Chiefster
09-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Guru wrote:
Sounds like your everyday teenager to me.

Whats the problem? You never incconvenienced an adult when you were that age?

Not condoning what she did but I think your standards got a little too high on the average teen. :idea:

The problem, I thought, was stated clearly; perhaps not. I think that simple personal consideration is in this day and age under emphasized. I waited patiently on the teen girl and there were no words between us and no incident simply because it was a small matter that didn't warrant any more attention then what I gave it. I was merely stating my point of view. As for inconveniencing folks when I was their age; yes I did because, like them, I was young and hardly ever had my mind on where I was or what I was doing, and was told about it almost daily. Bottom line is that I was merely expressing some minor frustration along with a point of view. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

As far as setting standards; it has been my experience that kids will live up to the expectations we set for them. If our expectations for them are low, then they will meet those expectations.
:idea:

Guru
09-15-2006, 01:01 AM
Well why didn't ya just say that then. :lol:

Chiefster
09-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Guru wrote:
Well why didn't ya just say that then. :lol:

Eh, more posts this way.

Guru
09-15-2006, 01:08 AM
: nosmiley :

Chiefster
09-15-2006, 01:10 AM

Oh man; we need that one.

kenny1937
09-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Lucy says "Okay I will bill your insurance company, and I agree that children are that way, incidently, I will be glad to hold the football for you to kick, I'm a good holder, just ask Charley Brown!!

;-) ;-) ;-)

Chiefster
09-15-2006, 05:12 AM
No thanks.

Congrats on your first 100 posts. ;-)

kenny1937
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Lucy says that she is mad and will try out for the Donk's, and any future sessions with her will cost you a whole twenty five cents!

Has it been a hundred! Wow how words fly when you are having fun!!

GO CHIEF'S!!!!

prough91
09-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Kids are a pain in the a**. I know. I used to be one.

kenny1937
09-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Use to be? I think that you are a big kid at heart, and in this ultra serious world, that's a good thing to be.
Just kidding, enjoy posting with you, and all the other fine people on this board. GO CHIEF'S!!

8-) :lol: :lol:

Tchiefs1
09-22-2006, 06:41 PM
HEY Chiefster, maybe you got off easy, around here ,they would have taken the car, and everything else!

Chiefster
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Well I gues that is one way to look at it.

kenny1937
09-23-2006, 02:51 AM
I've had a car or two that I wanted some one to take, but (sigh) no such luck. Where are those rotten kids when you need them?

Chiefster
09-30-2006, 01:55 AM
kenny1937 wrote:
I've had a car or two that I wanted some one to take, but (sigh) no such luck. Where are those rotten kids when you need them?

Heh, I got a couple now I couldn't pay a thief to steal. :-?