PDA

View Full Version : Conference Call With All Refs Today

pbatrucker
10-29-2010, 06:24 AM
The NFL has scheduled a conference call with every member of every officiating team, FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported Thursday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." An officiating source told Glazer that the purpose of Friday's call is to give a pep talk and clean up mistakes by officials. Sources say having all the officials involved in the call is rare, if not unprecedented.
The conference call comes on the heels of two high-profile officiating decisions in Week 7.
Late in Sunday's game between the Steelers and Dolphins, Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) scrambled out of the pocket and lunged for the end zone. The ball was knocked loose right around the goal line, but the officials ruled that Roethlisberger had scored a touchdown.

Unlock HQ Video (http://www.nfl.com/widgets/videos/downloader?template=basic-html&confirm=true&icampaign=VG_Player_Link_HQ_DL)HQ video delivered by Akamai

A Dolphins player emerged from the ensuing end-zone pileup with the football. When the ball was determined on replay to have come out before Roethlisberger reached the goal line, Miami believed it had a touchback. But since officials initially ruled that Roethlisberger had scored a touchdown, they didn't bother to see who recovered the ball, because it technically was no longer in play.
Pittsburgh was awarded the ball on the Miami 1-yard line and went on to kick a go-ahead field goal and hold on for a 23-22 victory.
The second controversy came in the Sunday night matchup between the Vikings and Green Bay Packers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB), when Minnesota tight end Visanthe Shiancoe (http://www.nfl.com/players/visantheshiancoe/profile?id=SHI025168) made a diving grab in the end zone and appeared to secure the ball as he rolled onto his back. Officials ruled the play a touchdown but overturned the call on review. Minnesota settled for a field goal and lost 28-24.
Vikings coach Brad Childress publicly criticized the officiating in the game, then was fined $35,000 by the NFL.
Carl Johnson, the NFL's vice president of officiating, wasn't happy about the reversal of the Shiancoe catch.
"We wish the ruling on the field would have stood as a completed catch," Johnson said on Wednesday's "NFL Total Access."
League spokesman Greg Aiello tweeted a statement later Thursday, downplaying the implied meaning of the call.
"It's a routine part of Carl Johnson's expanded communications program for officiating," he wrote. "It's a follow up to their preseason clinic. There will be another conference call near the end of the season before the playoffs. It is like team meetings."

Chiefster
10-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Show them film of what is supposed to be called pass interference!

GlennBree
10-29-2010, 07:43 AM

AMEN!!!....(and what IS NOT pass interference) :meow:

Chiefster
10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
AMEN!!!....(and what IS NOT pass interference) :meow:

Eggsactly!

Two weeks in a row we were victims of offensive pass interference and were called for defensive pass interference.

Chief4Ever&Ever
10-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Horrible play calling this year!! Which I believe lost the game for the Chiefs against the Texans! That was PI on Johnson not Flowers!! These refs are making bad calls that determine the outcome of the game!

honda522
10-29-2010, 10:18 AM
They need to address their issues with our DB's, cause it looks like they got something against us.

Ryfo18
10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
They need to address their issues with our DB's, cause it looks like they got something against us.

It's the only way to be successful against our DBs...push them down and cause them to get a PI call :lol:

SIC J
10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I've seen about 7 or 8 plays this year where the refs reviewed the play and STILL GOT IT WRONG!!!

Some of the refs simply just need to be fired.

Hayvern
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I am going to play a small part of devil's advocate here. It is very tough to officiate in the NFL, which was the point of a recent thread I made about adding an official or two to the team.

Replay now is so prevelant with every stadium being able to now put up a replay of a play almost instantly after the play is over, and the fact that at home we can see so much more with replay as well.

The league brought in replay and I think that has messed with the referees a lot. I think they now figure it really doesn't matter what they call, that it can always be reviewed. Unfortunately, the review system still is not foolproof.

Officiating has always been a human element, but the human mind can only process so much information in a given moment, something is going to be missed. Adding a couple more officials to the field would help lighten the load.

Face it, this game has gotten faster and faster through the years, being an official and dealing with everything they have to deal with is not a task that I would be willing to take on.

kcmostwanted
10-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe..they should add the rule of challenging PI calls... j/k

iratefan
10-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I was just on my way to post this link. buut im like 7 hours too late! haha. Im a little disappointed that the chiefs game in either of the past two weeks werent referenced because they werent 'high profile' enough >:O. But seriously these refs seem out of control this season. Every game i watch there seems to be 1 big bad call which changes the tide of the game.

stricken721
10-29-2010, 02:22 PM

That's not a bad idea.

Chiefster
10-29-2010, 02:44 PM

That's not a bad idea.

...One that has been discussed!

Pro_Angler
10-29-2010, 05:19 PM
fact 45% of all challenges win!!! meaning calls on field were wrong! PI should be challengable, we'd have 1 loss!!!

Ryfo18
10-29-2010, 05:22 PM
fact 45% of all challenges win!!! meaning calls on field were wrong! PI should be challengable, we'd have 1 loss!!!

That's not the reason we lost...

Pro_Angler
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
no we should have won it, on our own but if that goes offensive PI like it should have despite sloppy play in 4th qtr we still would have won.

whatwasthat?
10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
there should be challenges for PI calls

when a penalty can potentially give up 30+ yds its a game changer...reverse that AJ PI call and at worst the texans tie it and we go to OT

figcrostic
10-30-2010, 12:40 PM

I think the refs should be fined just like players and coaches for ridiculously bad calls

CapitalT
10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I was a mad as anybody about the really poor pass interference calls. However, I still think the refs do a pretty good job. There have always been bad calls. I think there were a lot more bad calls when we didn't have the replay review.

Chiefster
10-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I think the refs should be fined just like players and coaches for ridiculously bad calls

I have always thought that the refs should be officials employed by the NFL full time and not held by people who have "Day jobs" that just do this on the side. Then be held responsible for outrageously bad calls.