PDA

View Full Version : What frustrated me most about this loss

wilqb16
11-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Hi everyone I am new to the boards, but want to see if I was alone in this.

While there were tons of penalties and blame to go around, the one thing that frustrated me most watching this game can be summed up in these stats.

Charles: 10 carries for 53 yards.
Jones: 19 carries for 32 yards.

I am all for using two backs because I think it will make Charles better. But I really think the carries need to be reversed. Charles 60-70% of the carries and Jones 30-40% and not the other way around. I think it especially killed us on 3rd and one, where I believe we were stopped four different times trying to run the ball with Jones. I know Charles is the smaller back but I think he is better on 3rd and because our O-line doesn't push people as much as it makes creases. Charles is through those creases more quickly and is more slippery going through the hole. Also, on a day like today - with the Chiefs facing 8 & 9 man fronts. I feel like Charles would have busted a 70-yarder given 20 carries.

Anyone else equally frustrated?

Bike
11-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Agree 100 Percent.

captainamerica
11-08-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't know how healthy Charles was in this game. I seen him limping after a few plays and walking gingerly on his leg. I think this might've played a factor in the number of carries he received. Charles still played tough and ran his heart out, but I don't know how healthy he was.

wilqb16
11-08-2010, 03:12 AM
I don't know how healthy Charles was in this game. I seen him limping after a few plays and walking gingerly on his leg. I think this might've played a factor in the number of carries he received. Charles still played tough and ran his heart out, but I don't know how healthy he was.

Yeah - I noticed that, too but then he was back in the game. Either way, as a rule I just think Charles and Jones' roles (in terms of number of carries) should be reversed. Going into the game Charles was averaging 6.5 yards a rush and Jones 4.6. Not there is anything wrong with 4.6 but 6.5 is exceptional.

kcvet
11-08-2010, 08:59 AM
yeah Bowe drops the game winner. what's new ???

matthewschiefs
11-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I think Charles got banged up during the game and we were careful with how we used him after that.

doobs_05
11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I was pissed that we kept trying to throw the ball when it wasn't working. Bowe not catching that pass, tho he did have a push off on the CB, the fact that the refs never called holding on OAK, Hali was being held all day. The stupid Pass Interference call that was terrible, That jones wasn't picking up those 1 yard or 2 yard gains on 2nd or 3rd, Mcgraw dropping a pick, Special teams allowing a TD, again throwing when we should be running, Cassel just being cassel, and allowing oakland to drive to tie the game.

chiefnut
11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I was pissed that we kept trying to throw the ball when it wasn't working. Bowe not catching that pass, tho he did have a push off on the CB, the fact that the refs never called holding on OAK, Hali was being held all day. The stupid Pass Interference call that was terrible, That jones wasn't picking up those 1 yard or 2 yard gains on 2nd or 3rd, Mcgraw dropping a pick, Special teams allowing a TD, again throwing when we should be running, Cassel just being cassel, and allowing oakland to drive to tie the game.

there were so many chances to win and we let them back into the game w/that KO return, Berry's penalty on Arenas' return, play calling in OT, cassel, bowe, O line on short yardage, officials, it truly was a group effort :beat_DeadHorse:

let's just beat sd in san diego, sweep denver and crush the raders at ARROWHEAD and all will end well!!!:chiefs:

bigpoppachief
11-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Yeah I was disgusted with the blantant holding that was being allowed on Hali ridiculous !

PhillyChief
11-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think the running game was getting anywhere. Frankly, isn't that the secret to beating these Chiefs? Fill the box and force us to win through the air. What happens then? Sure, Cassel sticks a few but rookies will drop passes because they're rookies, Bowe will drop passes because he's Bowe, and deep passes will result in the ball being nowhere near a receiver with Cassel gesturing to that receiver afterwards. Who got the play wrong? I don't know, but I'm tired of watching that little routine.

For the record, I think they noticed Hali being held once, which is impressive from refs who can barely keep track of what down it is.

okikcfan
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
What killed us was things like J. Ford, 6 recp. for 148 yards, D Bowe dropped pass when we need it the most and Cassel, dont get me wrong, I like Cassel but he is just not what we need. It's not panning out in the long run. We need a good QB not an Ok QB. I'm not a Cassel hater by any means but it looks like he is all he can be and right now that ain't much.

matthewschiefs
11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
What killed us was things like J. Ford, 6 recp. for 148 yards, D Bowe dropped pass when we need it the most and Cassel, dont get me wrong, I like Cassel but he is just not what we need. It's not panning out in the long run. We need a good QB not an Ok QB. I'm not a Cassel hater by any means but it looks like he is all he can be and right now that ain't much.

This is the diffrance they had a guy that made plays we didn't. Did Cambell look any better the Cassel at all? Right now outside of Tony M we don't have anyone that is makeing plays. With Dexter being out the last couple of weeks. I think before we give up and move on from Cassel I think we need a true number 1 WR.

wilqb16
11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't think the running game was getting anywhere. Frankly, isn't that the secret to beating these Chiefs? Fill the box and force us to win through the air. What happens then? Sure, Cassel sticks a few but rookies will drop passes because they're rookies, Bowe will drop passes because he's Bowe, and deep passes will result in the ball being nowhere near a receiver with Cassel gesturing to that receiver afterwards. Who got the play wrong? I don't know, but I'm tired of watching that little routine.

For the record, I think they noticed Hali being held once, which is impressive from refs who can barely keep track of what down it is.

My thing is that Charles was running effectively but just didn't get the carries. Now, he may have been banged up but he kept coming back in the game. I think Jones is good but I think Charles is clearly better and needs to get the bulk of the carries.

chief31
11-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I will start with a "h*** yes!"

I was so mad that we kept bringing Charles out of the game, I couldn't even complete sentences.

Over half of those yards were in the clutch too.

My thing is that Charles was running effectively but just didn't get the carries. Now, he may have been banged up but he kept coming back in the game. I think Jones is good but I think Charles is clearly better and needs to get the bulk of the carries.

Seconded.

okikcfan
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
We cannot give up on Cassel mid term. But if he keeps going at the rate that he is, well he would be a good back up for next season. I see some players heads roll after the season is over but until then, what we have, has got to get better.

Connie Jo
11-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi everyone I am new to the boards, but want to see if I was alone in this.

While there were tons of penalties and blame to go around, the one thing that frustrated me most watching this game can be summed up in these stats.

Charles: 10 carries for 53 yards.
Jones: 19 carries for 32 yards.

I am all for using two backs because I think it will make Charles better. But I really think the carries need to be reversed. Charles 60-70% of the carries and Jones 30-40% and not the other way around. I think it especially killed us on 3rd and one, where I believe we were stopped four different times trying to run the ball with Jones. I know Charles is the smaller back but I think he is better on 3rd and because our O-line doesn't push people as much as it makes creases. Charles is through those creases more quickly and is more slippery going through the hole. Also, on a day like today - with the Chiefs facing 8 & 9 man fronts. I feel like Charles would have busted a 70-yarder given 20 carries.

Anyone else equally frustrated?

Oaklands defense was able to stop many of our rushing plays with both Charles & Jones, which is why our rushing yards were low. Charles also appeared to be hurting.

I noticed the same.

yeah Bowe drops the game winner. what's new ???

Respectively, Bowe made a sweet catch for a TD score that gave us the lead towards the last couple of minutes of the game. Our defense failed to stop Oakland from getting within FG range to make the FG tying the game. I see it this way...had our defense held Oakland the last two minutes of the game...Bowe's TD catch then would've won us the game.

I agree, Oakland stopped many of our rushing plays, some we lost yardage on. This is why we need a consistent and reliable passing game to get us down the field when our rushing game is being slowed or stopped.

As far as Bowe...for the last two weeks I have noted players on our defense missing or dropping balls that should've been intercepted with ease. I've also noted Moeaki missing a couple. Not all of Cassels passes are easily catchable. One I noted in the Raiders game that Bowe missed...Cassel threw short and low...Bowe had to drop to his knees trying to catch it. Yes, it was catchable, but it was as much Cassels fault as Bowes.

As well, I've noted Bowe making some incredible catches and plays this season, of which have contributed to our winning games. One last week made NFL's top 10 plays, Bowes catch and mid air flip., That same play was NFL's photo of the week. Many players would've lost the ball under the same circumstances Bowe was in...mid air 360' acrobatic flip, hitting the ground HARD. Bowe made NFL's catch of the week another time this season as well, think it was the Jags game?

Receivers throughout the NFL miss passes, drop balls weekly, including top WR's. People tend to remember their great plays that are aired over & over again on TV, but their miss cues aren't widely noted. Bowe seems to be the exception and reverse. His misses are constantly criticised and blamed entirely for a game loss, while his exceptionally talented and skilled catches contributing to winning games are ignored or forgotten.

Well, I don't forget Bowes exceptional or good plays...such as in the game against the Raiders. Bowe made the catch for a TD score to put us in the lead the last few minutes of the game. Our defense failed to stop Oakland from then going downfield to score with a FG tying the game. Had our defense not failed, Bowe's TD score would've won the game. Somehow, I have a feeling Bowe wouldn't have received such recognition, or it would've been quickly forgotten. :(