PDA

View Full Version : Bowe Powers KC's Offense

Coach
09-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Bowe Powers KC's Offense

Getty Images/Jamie Squire
By Nick Athan (http://javascript<b></b>:location.href='http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22' + escape('Nick Athan') + '%22&sssiteid=115';)
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
Posted Sep 23, 2007

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/09/25.jpg

It didn’t take long for Kansas City’s first-round draft pick to start making noise in the team’s struggling offense. In just three games, Dwayne Bowe has already made an impact - one that could change the fortunes of this team.

It’s been a long time since the Chiefs had a wide receiver who could take advantage of smaller defenders. His name was Otis Tayor. Bowe is giving the Chiefs that same threat, and after only three games he leads the team in touchdowns. Heck, no one else has reached the end zone.

He’s someone to count on now. When the Chiefs needed a spark against the Vikings Sunday, it was Bowe’s circus catches that jumpstarted the offense and saved the day for the entire team. This is something Herm Edwards promised we’d see out of Bowe, and his emergence as a playmaker couldn’t have happened at a better time.

Bowe has become the Chiefs’ third weapon, behind tight end Tony Gonzalez (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980124) and running back Larry Johnson (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980134). The job of quarterback Damon Huard (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980132) is to spread the rock, but it’s also to find the hot receiver. Bowe has elevated his game enough that he’ll be the starter when Eddie Kennison (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980137) returns.

Lost in all of this is the fact young receivers, especially those drafted in the first round, don’t excel in the NFL this fast. The heralded draft class of 2007 saw four guys go before Bowe, but he was clearly the second-best behind Calvin Johnson (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3136039).

Bowe’s climb to the elevation of playmaker has a lot to do with his understanding of KC’s offense. Since arriving at training camp nearly two weeks late, he’s had a difficult time learning the many facets of playing receiver in the NFL.

At times he fights it because he’s so darn good at playing street ball. But he excelled at LSU (http://louisianastate.scout.com/) because he could contort his body to adjust to any ball thrown in his vicinity.

In the NFL, he’s doing the same thing.

“He’s big and powerful,” said Edwards. “When you think you’ve covered him you really haven’t covered him, ‘cause he’s going to jump up and catch the ball.”

The Chiefs briefly flirted with this a few years ago when they drafted wide receiver Sylvester Morris (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=1348128) in the first round. He lost out on a long NFL career due to a pair of knee injuries.

But Bowe isn’t Morris, and as long as he keeps catching balls there’s no doubt he can be a dominant receiver.

“You can just see his confidence; it’s in his eyes,” said Huard. “He believes now. He’s not thinking, he’s just playing.”

That’s half the battle for a rookie, because the mental side of the game can thwart even the most gifted of NFL athletes. How concerned is Bowe about it? Apparently, not all that much, because against the Vikings he was lobbying his head coach for more passes thrown his way.

That’s a sign he wants the ball in crunch time, and he made good on his request by hauling in the touchdown.

“They brought me in to catch the ball and that’s what I did,” said Bowe. “I went up at the highest point and made the touchdown. It’s all technique, we’ve got great coaches that teach us and I just went up and made the catch.”

As good as all that sounds, what should really make every Chiefs fan happy is Bowe’s attitude. Before he was even dressed after the game, he was already thinking about KC’s next opponent.

“We’re going to get our corrections and go on the road and we’ve just got to make it happen,” said Bowe. “We have to go out there and play like we played today, but without the penalties, and come out with a win.”

The Chiefs will need that focus in San Diego next week. When the season started a road trip to face the Chargers looked like a certain loss. That’s all changed with the rise of Bowe.
That’s why we drafted the guy,” said Edwards.

hermhater
09-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Sweetness!

I'm telling you this guys is the future!

stlchief
09-24-2007, 12:03 AM
AMEN. and guess what, we had to THROW the ball to get it to him. Let's hope it starts in SD before we are 2 scores down and 5 3-and-out drives with run-run-screen.

Bowe & Gonzalez -- why would you only think about LJ on first down?

DrunkHillbilly
09-24-2007, 12:10 AM
AMEN. and guess what, we had to THROW the ball to get it to him. Let's hope it starts in SD before we are 2 scores down and 5 3-and-out drives with run-run-screen.

Play calling remember??? Run Run Pass Punt! Hermie style!!

hermhater
09-24-2007, 12:14 AM

This win has got to change HERMs mind.

He can't be wearing blinders, a blindfold, and have in earplugs can he?

stlchief
09-24-2007, 12:15 AM

Duh - I forgot. Thanks for reminding me...

:bananen_smilies046:

timsatt1
09-24-2007, 12:19 AM

yes and THAT IS KEY -- GO TO THE PASSING EARLY IN THE GAME!!!

problem is....i am not sure if reality can set through herm edward's thick skull. He has a weird way of thinking. I still think we will see the run on every first down in the 1st half of next Sunday's game against San Diego.

I SO HOPE I AM WRONG. But this man they call coach, he just is not the brightest bulb out there.

stlchief
09-24-2007, 12:26 AM
A 57 year old QB (Favre) shredded the Chargers D today. Let's hope Herm watches sports center (since he won't read about it on the internet...).

Coach
09-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Pass protection will be key against SD.

rbedgood
09-24-2007, 12:28 AM
SD's defense is very vulnerable to seam routes, screen passes, and quick outs...hmmm...sounds like a good plan for TG, LJ, & Bowe.

stlchief
09-24-2007, 01:06 AM
The opening of Sports Center showed Bowe leaping into the stands after his TD, during the "da-da-da, da-da-da" music.

hermhater
09-24-2007, 01:07 AM
The opening of Sports Center showed Bowe leaping into the stands after his TD, during the "da-da-da, da-da-da" music.

Cool!

Some national coverage we don't have to be embarrassed about!

luv
09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
It was great to see Bowe in action today. There were several people around me who were yelling for them to put Bowe in. When they did, the crowd lit up. Especially after the TD. Then it was more like the Arrowhead I know and love!

I noticed a lot more passing today. Of course, we had to. They're defense was very effective against our running game. Still several throws to TG and Bowe. Opening up our passing game will help cause others' defenses to open up. That will make more room for a running play, too. It'll be nice to have options.

hermhater
09-24-2007, 01:23 AM
It was great to see Bowe in action today. There were several people around me who were yelling for them to put Bowe in. When they did, the crowd lit up. Especially after the TD. Then it was more like the Arrowhead I know and love!

I noticed a lot more passing today. Of course, we had to. They're defense was very effective against our running game. Still several throws to TG and Bowe. Opening up our passing game will help cause others' defenses to open up. That will make more room for a running play, too. It'll be nice to have options.

Wisdom beyond your years luv.

I like it when women are interested and enthusiastic about their team.

I am currently training my gf on the subtleties of the NFL.

stlchief
09-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Dude - it's a trick. If she wasn't interested when you started dating, she won't be after you get married. Don't waste your time...

:D

rbedgood
09-24-2007, 01:29 AM

Dude - it's a trick. If she wasn't interested when you started dating, she won't be after you get married. Don't waste your time...

Exactly....

hermhater
09-24-2007, 01:29 AM

Well she has already started having her OWN opinions about football.

She is a good girl, but most girls just aren't interested in football.

She is making an effort to learn something I am passionate about.

THAT is critical in a relationship.

timsatt1
09-24-2007, 01:31 AM
[quote=stlchief;25852]

Well she has already started having her OWN opinions about football.

She is a good girl, but most girls just aren't interested in football.

She is making an effort to learn something I am passionate about.

THAT is critical in a relationship.

well, poor her...it sucks that every sunday, she is going to either see your great mood...when the chiefs win....or your bad mood, when they lose.

sunday losses for men's favorite nfl team is the equivalent to girls having their periods.

hermhater
09-24-2007, 01:33 AM
[quote=hermhater;25858]

well, poor her...it sucks that every sunday, she is going to either see your great mood...when the chiefs win....or your bad mood, when they lose.

sunday losses for men's favorite nfl team is the equivalent to girls having their periods.

You are exactly right!

I am an a$$ when we lose.

She knows names and remembers plays though so I think she is really liking the game.

m0ef0e
09-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Bowe for president!

anaeelbackwards
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
:toast2::bananen_smilies046:

i remember sitting there wondering why in the first half no passes where thrown DBOWE's way......

herm edwards said they had to get the ball #27, 88, and to 82 in order to win the game.....

either way we won, DBOWE is the man!

sling58
09-28-2007, 10:07 AM
I liked seeing Bowe get involved.

m0ebr0
09-28-2007, 02:37 PM
We need to put Bowe in the second reciever slot when Kennison comes back. Who do you cover Bowe, TonyG, or Kennison?

chief31
09-28-2007, 05:20 PM
We need to put Bowe in the second reciever slot when Kennison comes back. Who do you cover Bowe, TonyG, or Kennison?

Agreed. I can't help but love the way Bowe goes up after the football.

By the way, glad to have ya here, mObrO.

sling58
09-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Agreed. I can't help but love the way Bowe goes up after the football.

By the way, glad to have ya here, mObrO.

It's nice to have a physical receiver that isn't afraid to go after it.

McLovin
09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
What we need to do is Keep Bowe in the 1st reciever slot, try out Sippio in second, replace Samie Parkhere with Kennison, drop Kennison to third on the depth chart maybe even consider getting Justin Phinisee or Ian Randolph back to replace someone who has barely made the team year after year and has been a perennial no producer. If ya wanna go younger go younger with potential.

Anyway do love the way Bowe goes after the ball... and wins.

m0ef0e
09-28-2007, 06:25 PM
We have needed a receiver that attacks the ball for years. I'm so glad to have somebody like Bowe! I think he could definately develop into one of the league's top receivers. Yes, even while playing for the Chiefs.

hermhater
09-28-2007, 06:27 PM
We have needed a receiver that attacks the ball for years. I'm so glad to have somebody like Bowe! I think he could definately develop into one of the league's top receivers. Yes, even while playing for the Chiefs.

You said it guy! Now that he has won a game for us and scored the only two touchdowns of the season, HERM has got to realize and use him man!

m0ef0e
09-28-2007, 06:28 PM
You said it guy! Now that he has won a game for us and scored the only two touchdowns of the season, HERM has got to realize and use him man!

I think he will. Herm drafted him for a reason. I really think he's had plans for Bowe all along. He just didn't want to tip his hand too early about his new weapon.

hermhater
09-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I think he will. Herm drafted him for a reason. I really think he's had plans for Bowe all along. He just didn't want to tip his hand too early about his new weapon.

Isn't that just like HERM?

Bringing a knife to a gun fight for the first two games!

m0ef0e
09-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Isn't that just like HERM?

Bringing a knife to a gun fight for the first two games!

People are going to be surprised when they get shot, though.

McLovin
09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Kinda reminds me a little of Gonzo, gotta love it when someone will take the double team away from Gonzo. I love the thought of 3 great players, TG, LJ, Bowe to take emphasis anyday over being a one play offense where in obvious pass plays they double team TG, and otherwise stack the box against LJ.

GO CHIEFS

m0ef0e
09-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Kinda reminds me a little of Gonzo, gotta love it when someone will take the double team away from Gonzo. I love the thought of 3 great players, TG, LJ, Bowe to take emphasis anyday over being a one play offense where in obvious pass plays they double team TG, and otherwise stack the box against LJ.

GO CHIEFS

That's what is going to start making us dangerous on offense. We have enough weapons to confuse a defense if we just start using them properly.

timsatt1
09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
That's what is going to start making us dangerous on offense. We have enough weapons to confuse a defense if we just start using them properly.

i agree.

herm dont phuk us over! please!!

i freekin love bowe!!!!!!!!!!!

m0ebr0
09-29-2007, 02:43 PM
It's nice to have a physical receiver that isn't afraid to go after it.

Glad to be here. :D

m0ebr0
09-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Who will you double up on Bowe or Tony along with Kennison. As well as having to watch out for LJ. It will be great to see.

m0ebr0
09-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Glad to be here. :D

That was the wrong quote. :lol: I meant to replay to Chief31.

I am also glad to have a guy to go after the ball. He will catch it even if it is not intended for him.

Wow talk about post whoring 3 in a row. Sorry guys....

sling58
09-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Dedication!

Chiefster
10-01-2007, 01:17 AM
I hate to admit this, but it appears that Nick has this one right!

Chiefster
10-01-2007, 01:18 AM
That was the wrong quote. :lol: I meant to replay to Chief31.

I am also glad to have a guy to go after the ball. He will catch it even if it is not intended for him.

Your post whoring skills will soon be complete!