PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel is looking like the QBOTF

figcrostic
11-28-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/11/108.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/games/20101128026/photos;_ylt=AnkB0oB6j1pNCn3y2OjCl.IisLYF?slug=ap-833fbe194e5845cc8eaddfddb39018f2)

I will admit I have dumped a ton of doo-doo on poor Matty, and in the past it was warranted well at least I thought. He just didn't look like a good qb, he was not reading defenses, he wasn't scanning the field, he was taking too many sacks from holding the ball too long, and he was throwing away balls when he had an open receiver. This does not seem to be the case anymore, for the last several weeks the man has been on fire, today was the cherry he was scanning finding open guys, and tucking and running looking like stud. He looked like a younger bigger version of steve young, and when he ran out and blocked for Charles I couldn't help but applaud the man. I will admit it I was wrong, and I'm glad. :whipping1::whipping1::chiefs::chiefs:

AkChief49
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Icing on the top for Cassell today-beating the coach that chose Leinart over him!

brdempsey69
11-28-2010, 08:55 PM
The best thing that can happen for the Chiefs is Cassel becoming an elite QB. That means that they can build around him in the 2011 draft & not have to look to draft a QB.

figcrostic
11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
The best thing that can happen for the Chiefs is Cassel becoming an elite QB. That means that they can build around him in the 2011 draft & not have to look to draft a QB.

Like an upgrade on the O-line. Geez did you see how much time Okung was giving Hasselbeck to throw the ball.

brdempsey69
11-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Like an upgrade on the O-line. Geez did you see how much time Okung was giving Hasselbeck to throw the ball.

Yeah, Okung is the real deal. Still would have loved to had him. Gotta look at the long-term situation for the O-Line & he would have been a big help.

But you never know who might be available in the 2011 draft. I think the Chiefs need to get at least one good O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds of next years draft in 2011.

chief31
11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/11/108.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/games/20101128026/photos;_ylt=AnkB0oB6j1pNCn3y2OjCl.IisLYF?slug=ap-833fbe194e5845cc8eaddfddb39018f2)

I will admit I have dumped a ton of doo-doo on poor Matty, and in the past it was warranted well at least I thought. He just didn't look like a good qb, he was not reading defenses, he wasn't scanning the field, he was taking too many sacks from holding the ball too long, and he was throwing away balls when he had an open receiver. This does not seem to be the case anymore, for the last several weeks the man has been on fire, today was the cherry he was scanning finding open guys, and tucking and running looking like stud. He looked like a younger bigger version of steve young, and when he ran out and blocked for Charles I couldn't help but applaud the man. I will admit it I was wrong, and I'm glad. :whipping1::whipping1::chiefs::chiefs:

REPPED!!!!

I love when a guy can come fourth and shows some humility, after being so judgemental.

I'd love some others to come fourth and take their lumps for misjudging players as well.

I have been wrong about many players, and coaches, and have been happy to admit it. Thrilled, even.

Believe me, it feels so much better to admit a mistake, than to continue rooting against a player on your own team, who keeps proving you wrong.

The crow is tasting better than it has in a loooooong time.

I will have another wing myself, for Todd Haley's sake.:D

kcvet
11-28-2010, 09:47 PM
you can just tell our O is now playing with a purpose and determination. they wasted no time scoring on the opening drive.

BTY i think thats first time ive seen the loser take a knee to end it.

captainamerica
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Like I said in another thread, I'm officially on the bandwagon as well. In 2009 Matt Cassel had a lot of room for improvement and I personally didn't think he was ever going to be able to overcome all of his problems. He struggled at times with his accuracy, he held onto the ball for too long, he didn't always make good reads, he had a tendency to lock onto his receivers, his foot work was terrible. He had a lot of negative attributes to overcome. The fact that he's been able to improve and overcome these issues, says a lot about our coaching staff (Wies), but it says even more about Matt Cassel as a person.

I can't think of one NFL starting QB that's had to overcome more than Matt Cassel has in his career. Matt went from not even starting a single game in college to tearing it up in the NFL and being the starting QB for a team that leads the division. It's really quite insane when you think about it.

Matt Cassel seems like a great hardworking guy and with his determination I think he's only going to get better. The sky might be the limit for this kid.

iratefan
11-28-2010, 10:55 PM
if just a little discipline can get him this much improvement, then im going to be greatly enjoying his future potential given he carries on with his current work ethic. the Matt Cassel that played today would make any NFL team proud to have him. I hope that this wasnt a phase or a fluke but a revelation and an ongoing saga.

Chiefster
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Cassel and Bowe both were outstanding today. Cassel looked like the QB we all hoped he would be and Bowe finally looked like that number one franchise receiver IMO.

Three7s
11-28-2010, 11:55 PM
REPPED!!!!

I love when a guy can come fourth and shows some humility, after being so judgemental.

I'd love some others to come fourth and take their lumps for misjudging players as well.

I have been wrong about many players, and coaches, and have been happy to admit it. Thrilled, even.

Believe me, it feels so much better to admit a mistake, than to continue rooting against a player on your own team, who keeps proving you wrong.

The crow is tasting better than it has in a loooooong time.

I will have another wing myself, for Todd Haley's sake.:D

Hey now, I did it last week in the Bowe thread. :(

kckidd8870
11-29-2010, 12:46 AM
I'll admit I said a few harsh word about Matt Cassel on hear.Mostly blowing of steam.All in all,I new he had it in him.He threw four almost 4000 yards,with New England.When Tom Brady wen't down.Yes they had good reciever but ,he steal had to get it to them.It took him awhile to ajust but I think Matt will do nothing but get better.Get that O-Line at full strenght and add aonther Reciever.Next year I think he will have an awesome year.This year is not over by any means.If we are healthy on D-fense,I think the Chiefs beat the Bronco's next week and we go up to San Diego and beat them in another tough game.The west is are to lose and I don't see us losing it.Good luck Matt and good luck to the rest of the Chiefs players.Kansas City has waited along time for a season like this.Just think Chiefs fans,if we have another draft in 2011 like we did this year.We could be the team to be for years to come.Chiefs fan have the faith and pray to the football gods and I feel we could go along ways in the playoffs this year.lol
Hope we can get that secondary healthy fast.I think that is the only thing that will hender us down the stretch.It will be a battle from here on out.We need to win 4 out of the next five games.San Diego Isn't going to fold until we make them fold.So 4 out of 5 games means beat San Diego too.Go Chiefs

SIC J
11-29-2010, 01:52 AM
It was only a matter of time before the offense would finally "CLICK". Looks like the Chiefs finally are figuring out what works for them and how to use their players.

wilqb16
11-29-2010, 02:01 AM
For the record, Matt is now the NFL's 4th ranked passer with a rating of 99.7 and a gaudy 22-4 TD/INT ratio.

Not bad for a guy who will never be even an average QB.

I also love the chemisty him and Bowe have developed. They are reaching that point where you can tell they are making on the fly adjustments because they know what each other is thinking. Case and point was the critical 3rd down conversion where Cassel avoided the sack and Bowe broke route to run with him and catch the first down.

Can't wait until we get DMC back! This offense could really be tough to stop.

GarH
11-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Now we can concentrate on what we need the most in this years draft. We have a center that at most has one or two years left and a linebacker that probably only has one or two years left.

josh1971
11-29-2010, 03:52 AM
I think the Cassel highlight of the day for me was watching him sprint past Jamaal Charles to get downfield to block for him on that 29 yard run.

Oh yeah, and throwing 4 TDs... If you care for that sort of thing.

Chiefster
11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I think the Cassel highlight of the day for me was watching him sprint past Jamaal Charles to get downfield to block for him on that 29 yard run.

Agreed. For me, at the end of the day the only stat that means anything is the one listed in the W/L column.

OPLookn
11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll take my lumps too, it looks like he's on the same page as his receivers and putting the ball right where it needs to be. So I'll have a serving of that crow as well...or do I get my own whole crow?

For once I'm more than happy to take some lumps about being wrong, watching Cassel fling the rock around yesterday was fun to watch. Not to mention watching Bowe go up and grab the ball instead of letting it drop into his bread basket. Let the good times roll!!

Coach
11-29-2010, 03:49 PM

My highlight was seeing him escape a blitz and roll out to his left, throw against his body and land a perfect strike in Jamaal Charles' hands for a 3rd down conversion right along the sideline late in the game. That play was incredible.

I also liked the play that play you mention. It is plays like that blocking play that make me love Matt Cassel. This guy is a fighter and a winner. He proved he was tough last year. Now he is proving that is a leader and a winner.

Pro_Angler
11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
the next two games will decide our play off fate.. Our o-line needs to keep it up and our d-line needs to improve dramatically on pressures..

Three7s
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
My highlight was seeing him escape a blitz and roll out to his left, throw against his body and land a perfect strike in Jamaal Charles' hands for a 3rd down conversion right along the sideline late in the game. That play was incredible.

I also liked the play that play you mention. It is plays like that blocking play that make me love Matt Cassel. This guy is a fighter and a winner. He proved he was tough last year. Now he is proving that is a leader and a winner.
I thought that play was to Bowe......

pbatrucker
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I thought that play was to Bowe......

Yep! It was.

Seek
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I want to point out, that while many are starting to get on board. There are still the negative nannies out there. One of them sits behind me at Arrowhead. He has been silenced the last couple weeks and I love it. Cassel will have a bad game. He is human and is not perfect. So before those negative nannies make the Cassel sucks thread after that game. Just shut up now.. We get it.. You won't give him a shot regardless of him doing everything a Chief fans dreams off.

Chief4Ever&Ever
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
I also criticized Cassell for his poor decisions and inconsistency. Now, I am a huge fan, he has played like a Pro Bowler the past 7 weeks, he has made excellent decisions, and is putting the ball on the money for the most part! He is now a Top 5 QB as far as stats, he has made us so much better! Right now, the way he is playing he is the QB of the future for us! Him and Bowe have amazing chemistry and they are tearing D's apart! It is great to be a Chiefs fan right now! Cassell is a top 5 QB, Charles is Top 3 RB, Bowe is top 5 WR! We are playing some good ball and it all stars with Cassell and his decision making! I am a Cassell Fan!

Ryfo18
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I just listened to Rich Gannon talk about Cassel's development on Sirius 124 (he also did the color commentary for the Seahawks game). Sounds like he's pretty impressed. He talked some about how he attended some practices last year. Things would go wrong and it'd be Haley yelling at everyone. I guess Gannon talked to Cassel about taking control of his team and holding people accountable, a characteristic great QBs like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady share.

All in all, it was a good insight into how Matt's developed off the field as well.

matthewschiefs
11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I also criticized Cassell for his poor decisions and inconsistency. Now, I am a huge fan, he has played like a Pro Bowler the past 7 weeks, he has made excellent decisions, and is putting the ball on the money for the most part! He is now a Top 5 QB as far as stats, he has made us so much better! Right now, the way he is playing he is the QB of the future for us! Him and Bowe have amazing chemistry and they are tearing D's apart! It is great to be a Chiefs fan right now! Cassell is a top 5 QB, Charles is Top 3 RB, Bowe is top 5 WR! We are playing some good ball and it all stars with Cassell and his decision making! I am a Cassell Fan!

What is even better is that 4 of those weeks we were still without one of our weapons in Dexter Mccluster. Bowes numbers might drop a tad when he gets back But I don't think Cassels will.

Cassel will proabley have a game or two in witch he might struggle a bit this season. But he has EARNED the right to keep his job throughout this season. It won't have anything to do with how much money we are paying him or anything eles. He EARNED the job. I can't wait to see how much better he can be givein anther off season to work with Charlie Weis.