PDA

View Full Version : Some facts/stats/thoughts about the Rams

wilqb16
12-13-2010, 03:06 AM
The Rams have managed to play only four teams with winning records this season and their record is 1-3. The only one they beat was the Chargers (in St. Louis) in week 6 20-17.

The Rams are 2-1 verse the AFC West losing to only to Oakland, in Oakland, 14-16. They also beat the Broncos at Denver 36-33.

Overall, Rams are much better team at home then on the the Road. They are 4-2 in St. Louis and 2-5 on the road. They are 2-3 in the 2nd half of the season after starting 4-4.

Rookie QB Sam Bradford has done really well for a rookie at taking care of the ball, allowing only a 2.5% INT percentage. But, the Rams offense is hardly dynamic, averaging a 26th ranked 18.8 points per game. Defensively, the Rams give up a respectable 20.6 points per game to rank 15th.

Critically, the Rams are a completely different team when scoring less than 20 points. When the Rams score less than 20 points, they are 1-6. However, when they score 20 or more points they are 5-1.

To me, I think that Crennel will be able to dial up a good plan to confuse the Rams young QB. This is sort of his specialty.

The key will be for the Chiefs to be able to take advantage to the Rams 21st ranked pass defense to put points on the board, particularly taking advantage of the astroturf to get the ball in the hands of Dextor McLuster and Jamal Charles in space. Taking advantage of the Rams pourous secondary will hinge on giving Matt Cassel (assuming he is healthy) time since the Rams 4-3 defense features three pass rushers with 5 or more sacks. Only five teams have put up 23 or more points on the Rams in 2010 (the Rams are 1-4 in these games). These teams did so by throwing for an average of 280.8 yards, yet only one of these teams had a 100-yard rusher.

Frankly, I am not as optimistic about our ability to run the ball against the Rams 4-3 scheme. A lot of our rushing success has come off the edge and on delays. We use zone blocking schemes where our blockers hold and turn defenders to create lanes for slashing. As a result, we can be overpowered by larger defenders and beat if teams crowd the box (See Raiders game and Denver game 1 and Chargers game 2, obviously). After our performance against San Diego, I suspect the Rams will load the box and dare us to throw the ball. I think we will need to have some success to win, I don't think we can come out and just expect to pound the ball to victory without having success in the air.

I think after our loss to the Chargers we come out focused and ready to play. My prediction (with Matt Cassel healthy) is Chiefs 28, Rams 16.

Chiefster
12-13-2010, 03:08 AM
The Rams have managed to play only four teams with winning records this season and their record is 1-3. The only one they beat was the Chargers (in St. Louis) in week 6 20-17.

The Rams are 2-1 verse the AFC West losing to only to Oakland, in Oakland, 14-16. They also beat the Broncos at Denver 36-33.

Overall, Rams are much better team at home then on the the Road. They are 4-2 in St. Louis and 2-5 on the road. They are 2-3 in the 2nd half of the season after starting 4-4.

Rookie QB Sam Bradford has done really well for a rookie at taking care of the ball, allowing only a 2.5% INT percentage. But, the Rams offense is hardly dynamic, averaging a 26th ranked 18.8 points per game. Defensively, the Rams give up a respectable 20.6 points per game to rank 15th.

Critically, the Rams are a completely different team when scoring less than 20 points. When the Rams score less than 20 points, they are 1-6. However, when they score 20 or more points they are 5-1.

To me, I think that Crennel will be able to dial up a good plan to confuse the Rams young QB. This is sort of his specialty.

The key will be for the Chiefs to be able to take advantage to the Rams 21st ranked pass defense to put points on the board, particularly taking advantage of the astroturf to get the ball in the hands of Dextor McLuster and Jamal Charles in space. Taking advantage of the Rams pourous secondary will hinge on giving Matt Cassel (assuming he is healthy) time since the Rams 4-3 defense features three pass rushers with 5 or more sacks. Only five teams have put up 23 or more points on the Rams in 2010 (the Rams are 1-4 in these games). These teams did so by throwing for an average of 280.8 yards, yet only one of these teams had a 100-yard rusher.

Frankly, I am not as optimistic about our ability to run the ball against the Rams 4-3 scheme. A lot of our rushing success has come off the edge and on delays. After our performance against San Diego, I suspect the Rams will load the box and dare us to throw the ball. I think we will need to have some success to win, I don't think we can come out and just expect to pound the ball to victory without having success in the air.

I think after our loss to the Chargers we come out focused and ready to play. My prediction (with Matt Cassel healthy) is Chiefs 28, Rams 16.

If not then we better start our third string QB.

BoltWalt
12-13-2010, 05:39 AM

The Rams are 2-1 verse the AFC West losing to only to Oakland, in Oakland, 14-16.

Good summation.

I am pulling for a different out come.

okikcfan
12-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Good summation.

I am pulling for a different out come.

LOL Bolt, I completely understand...Congrats on Sundays Win. I just wish the Chiefs could have been there! :beat_DeadHorse:

Coach
12-13-2010, 08:57 AM
"Rams can't win on the road or beat teams with a winning record."

Well, this should be a tight game.

4everchiefsfan25
12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
"Rams can't win on the road or beat teams with a winning record."

Well, this should be a tight game.

I hope these beat down by San DIego opens the Chiefs eyes and be ready for St Louis

wilqb16
12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I live in California, but I sure hope enough Chiefs fans make the trip from KC to St. Louis to make it feel like a Chiefs home game or at least make the crowd support feel "conflicted"

4everchiefsfan25
12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I live in California, but I sure hope enough Chiefs fans make the trip from KC to St. Louis to make it feel like a Chiefs home game or at least make the crowd support feel "conflicted"

I know a lot of my buddies are going down there, I just havnt decided if i was going to beable to make it.

wilqb16
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I know a lot of my buddies are going down there, I just havnt decided if i was going to beable to make it.

Do the Rams usually sell out or get good attendance? I have actually heard rumors they might move back here to L.A., so I assume it hasn't been good, but also don't know if being in the division race (at 6-7, boy are we in the wrong division) and having Bradford has ignited the fans...

Three7s
12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Do the Rams usually sell out or get good attendance? I have actually heard rumors they might move back here to L.A., so I assume it hasn't been good, but also don't know if being in the division race (at 6-7, boy are we in the wrong division) and having Bradford has ignited the fans...
Their attendance is pretty bad. St Louis has always been a baseball city.

For the Rams, it's as simple as this, and the whole season as well. If Cassel is in, we should win every game from here on out. If not, then we're through.

4everchiefsfan25
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Their attendance is pretty bad. St Louis has always been a baseball city.

For the Rams, it's as simple as this, and the whole season as well. If Cassel is in, we should win every game from here on out. If not, then we're through.

It is more about how that OL is going to play. Are they going to be pissed because they got whipped all day Sunday and so they are going to take it out on the Rams DL or are they going to tuck their tails in between their legs and choke it up again. If they play like that again it doesn't matter if Cassel is back or not.

wilqb16
12-13-2010, 10:19 PM
It is more about how that OL is going to play. Are they going to be pissed because they got whipped all day Sunday and so they are going to take it out on the Rams DL or are they going to tuck their tails in between their legs and choke it up again. If they play like that again it doesn't matter if Cassel is back or not.

I agree - the Rams defense is also built on the D-Line. We need to be able to protect Cassel so he can make plays against the Rams depleted secondary and open up enough holes to set up some play-action passes.

okikcfan
12-14-2010, 02:48 AM
I am pulling for the 49ners to beat the DOLTS. Of course, RAMS!!! WOO WHOOO!!!! The Raiders get the donkies to beat up on :beat_DeadHorse:. Donkey fans only hope to see Tebow play. I hope he does.:D

We'll I too am hoping the raiders get a win against the dolts. That could be just what the Doctor ordered :meow:

4everchiefsfan25
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I am pulling for the 49ners to beat the DOLTS. Of course, RAMS!!! WOO WHOOO!!!! The Raiders get the donkies to beat up on :beat_DeadHorse:. Donkey fans only hope to see Tebow play. I hope he does.:D

They just need to cut Tebow I can't believe they would waste a first round draft pick on him I dunno who is worst Jamarcus Russel in the first round or Tebow in the first round.:D

okikcfan
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
We'll I too am hoping the raiders get a win against the dolts. That could be just what the Doctor ordered :meow:

Ah yea, I'm not too sure what I was thinking there?

wilqb16
12-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Ah yea, I'm not too sure what I was thinking there?

I assumed you meant the 49ers....its all NoCal anyways...