PDA

View Full Version : Come on Todd, look where we are!

buffman316
12-14-2010, 01:54 PM
I am a huge Todd Haley fan, except when he is doing interviews or press conferences. I would love to have Haley's game plan with Rex Ryan's mouth.

Sometimes the only thing Haley seems to be certain of, is that we are not a good team. In this most recent article on ESPN, http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5918237 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5918237) Haley has his usual quote of "we are not a good team" and look where we are. There are three winnable games to go and the playoffs in our hands. Our only losses are to the Colts, Texans, Broncos (Split),Chargers (split) and Raiders (we will split).

What would Rex Ryan be saying right now?
Listen fellas, we got smacked that game. Smacked in the mouth. We know what we got to do and that is win these three games. We can win this division and we are still a great team. "
I still love Haley's coaching style better, but the coach speak drone's on. We are on the verge of a historic turnaround from last year. It is time to get fired up and show some excitement and tell the world we are a team to be reckoned with. I am not saying this type of boring, negative talk is the reason we saw a lackluster performance Sunday, but there is a point of motivation the coaching staff can spread through the media. All of that ""quarters in a season", and we are not a good team yet " talk is fine for the pre season, but now we are all up in it!

The finish line is near and it is win or go home! Let’s start acting like it!
:chiefs:

jacko58
12-14-2010, 02:06 PM
this is how i feel about our season

:yahoo: :yahoo: :bananen_smilies046: :beer: :bananen_smilies046: :yahoo: :yahoo: :punk: :chiefs: :drunkhb:

wilqb16
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I am a huge Todd Haley fan, except when he is doing interviews or press conferences. I would love to have Haley's game plan with Rex Ryan's mouth.

Sometimes the only thing Haley seems to be certain of, is that we are not a good team. In this most recent article on ESPN, http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5918237 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5918237) Haley has his usual quote of "we are not a good team" and look where we are. There are three winnable games to go and the playoffs in our hands. Our only losses are to the Colts, Texans, Broncos (Split),Chargers (split) and Raiders (we will split).

Listen fellas, we got smacked that game. Smacked in the mouth. We know what we got to do and that is win these three games. We can win this division and we are still a great team. "
I still love Haley's coaching style better, but the coach speak drone's on. We are on the verge of a historic turnaround from last year. It is time to get fired up and show some excitement and tell the world we are a team to be reckoned with. I am not saying this type of boring, negative talk is the reason we saw a lackluster performance Sunday, but there is a point of motivation the coaching staff can spread through the media. All of that ""quarters in a season", and we are not a good team yet " talk is fine for the pre season, but now we are all up in it!

I think it is the whole Patriots thing. Haley is not going to give anyone anything that could be used as fodder to motivate our opponents. I kind of agree with that.

I think Rex Ryan will be out of a job in a couple of years because I think the high energy act wears out pretty quickly with players. Also, there is no reason to go out of your way to make sure that every team on your schedule will be up to play you. Potentially, the Chiefs could have 2 of the last 3 against teams who have nothing to play for (Titans and possibly the Raiders), no sense in giving them something to be excited about by saying we are going to go out and beat them...

Haley may be the most boring interview I have ever heard, but he is a smart football coach...

buffman316
12-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I think it is the whole Patriots thing. Haley is not going to give anyone anything that could be used as fodder to motivate our opponents. I kind of agree with that.

I think Rex Ryan will be out of a job in a couple of years because I think the high energy act wears out pretty quickly with players. Also, there is no reason to go out of your way to make sure that every team on your schedule will be up to play you. Potentially, the Chiefs could have 2 of the last 3 against teams who have nothing to play for (Titans and possibly the Raiders), no sense in giving them something to be excited about by saying we are going to go out and beat them...

Haley may be the most boring interview I have ever heard, but he is a smart football coach...

I understand that and my point is quit saying we are not a good team. Saying they are not a good team tells them they are a bad team and that can affect the physique

wilqb16
12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I understand that and my point is quit saying we are not a good team. Saying they are not a good team tells them they are a bad team and that can affect the physique

I disagree, I think it is like a carrot he is dangling. They want to hear him say it, so it keeps them working hard.

Also, I have to say that I agree with him. I don't think we are a good team, yet. We are a fair team. We can't win consistently on the road and much of our 8-5 record has come from beating up on losing teams. Good teams can beat other teams with winning records and can win on the road.

To date, only two of our eight wins are against winning teams and those were both at home. Granted we have only played four teams with winning records but still, it is undeniable that part of our 8-5 record is the benefit of a really soft schedule. Otherwise, we are 6-3 against teams with losing records and only 2-3 against teams with losing records on the road.

So, in my mind, decent team? Yes. Improving team? Absolutely. Good team? not quite.

Tell the Chiefs they are good team and maybe they think they have "arrived", yet, clearly that is not the case.

pbatrucker
12-14-2010, 02:59 PM
He is being honest with them. We are not a good team. Didn't Sunday prove that to you. Having Cassel would not have made a difference. Our OL was dominated. Until the OL among other things is fixed we will not be a good team. We are a improved team, headed in the right direction.

4everchiefsfan25
12-14-2010, 03:30 PM

You have got to see what Rex Ryan's mouth has gotten his team. His mouth has put a bullseye on his team because he said they were going to be the Super Bowl champs. His mouth got him a beat down by the Patriots who could of let off the gas but decided not to because Rex had been running his mouth all season. I mean I think sometimes running your mouth can do more harm on your team than good.

matthewschiefs
12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I myself love that Haley does that. The worst thing that an NFL coach can do is talk about how good his team is. That just mentaly allows the players to lay back a bit. And they will do it. It's human nature. I think it's a great move for him to refuse to say that this is a good team. Maybe he doesn't have to say it as often as he does. But I like that he won't say that we are a good team. And hey lets face it we have a soft secdule this season. Playing the NFC West makes a lot of teams look better then what they are.

honda522
12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
While I agree with your assessment about Haley's boring interviews, I do not agree that he should be more like Rex Ryan. That guy is a total Douchbag. Thinks he is hotter than hell. I hate loud coaches.

Chiefster
12-14-2010, 06:36 PM
this is how i feel about our season

:yahoo: :yahoo: :bananen_smilies046: :beer: :bananen_smilies046: :yahoo: :yahoo: :punk: :chiefs: :drunkhb:

Agreed! Way disappointed in the last game, but am happy with how the season has gone to this point overall.

Pro_Angler
12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I dont think we would have won with Matt in either. I think it was poor game planning. it seems as though we are hit and miss with the game plans. maybe we need to learn to make better adjustments during games.

Oh..I like the new haley.

4everchiefsfan25
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
We came out flat and San Diego wanted the game more than us and that showed from the very beginning of the game.

MoJ
12-15-2010, 07:05 PM
In recent memory, how many Super Bowl (or otherwise highly successful) teams had a loud-mouth, chest-pounding, controversial coach?

4everchiefsfan25
12-16-2010, 01:01 PM
IMO I don't think there has ever been a coach like Rex Ryan

buffman316
12-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't want Todd to be a Rex Ryan clone, but maybe a little more confident and positive would be nice

4everchiefsfan25
12-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't want Todd to be a Rex Ryan clone, but maybe a little more confident and positive would be nice
I think Todd is more confident and positive behind closed doors to his players. I just think that he doesn't want to set the bar too high for his team infront of the media just so the media wont beable to crush him if they dont live up to the hype just like the media is crushing Rex for the Jets not living up to the hype.

Pro_Angler
12-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Rex is a joke IMO..he needs to keep his mouth shut till he wins something

wilqb16
12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Its interesting, too, that for the sake of job security that saying that you "don't have a good team" isn't a bad move...

I mean if they go to fire you, you can just say: "How can you blame me? This isn't even a good team!"

On the other hand, how easy will it be to fire Rex Ryan after he's gone out and proclaimed his team is the greatest thing in the world? "Sorry, Rex but even you said this was an awesome squad we had...maybe we just need a better coach"

I don't think this is Haley's motive, but I'm just sayin'

Hayvern
12-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Eh, Haley is right, this team is not a good team. We had a relatively easy schedule this year and we have really struggled to win on the road.

I think we are a better team, but we are not a good team yet. 8 and 8, this team is no better than an 8 and 8 team, if that. We got a few wins, we had some good play, but you cannot really name one thing on this team that we can hang our hats on except the running game.

Sorry, the league the way it is now, you cannot win running the ball alone, you are going to ahve to be able to pass and we still are not that good at it.

Bike
12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Eh, Haley is right, this team is not a good team. We had a relatively easy schedule this year and we have really struggled to win on the road.

I think we are a better team, but we are not a good team yet. 8 and 8, this team is no better than an 8 and 8 team, if that. We got a few wins, we had some good play, but you cannot really name one thing on this team that we can hang our hats on except the running game.

Sorry, the league the way it is now, you cannot win running the ball alone, you are going to ahve to be able to pass and we still are not that good at it.
Yeah. Our offensive line started out pretty strong. I think they are getting worn out. We need to youthanize our OL...

BoltWalt
12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
As far as anyone knows he might be telling the team they are good and saying they are not good only for public consumption.

BoltWalt
12-17-2010, 12:27 PM
On the other hand, how easy will it be to fire Rex Ryan after he's gone out and proclaimed his team is the greatest thing in the world? "Sorry, Rex but even you said this was an awesome squad we had...maybe we just need a better coach"

Amen to that brother, but I would miss him in the copious football coverage just like I still miss Dennis Green.

Ryfo18
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Rex Ryan is a dumbass

4everchiefsfan25
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I cant stand Rex Ryan

Drunker Hillbilly
12-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Haley's contributions to this team have resulted in double the wins we had last season. He can say or act however he wants in the ridiculously overhyped press conferences. As long as what he says or doesn't say continue to help this team progress, I'm just fine with it. I'm fairly certain their OK with what Belicheat says in N.E.. Just sayin.......

wilqb16
12-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Haley's contributions to this team have resulted in double the wins we had last season. He can say or act however he wants in the ridiculously overhyped press conferences. As long as what he says or doesn't say continue to help this team progress, I'm just fine with it. I'm fairly certain their OK with what Belicheat says in N.E.. Just sayin.......

I agree. Really, I think it is a matter of dangling the carrot and speaking the truth.

Really, this still isn't a good team, yet. The Chargers have far more talent than we do. Frankly, if I was a Charger fan I'd be embarassed that once again they are fighting for their playoff lives in spite of having a stacked roster.

Still, the way I see it we are ahead of them for three reasons:

1) Our staff has way outcoached their staff. All of the little things that a staff can effect (underachieving vs. overachieving, turnovers, special teams, a sense of urgency early in the year, etc.) have been in our favor.

2) A better fan base. We are 6-0 at home because of a crazy vibe at Arrowhead that will never be matched in San Diego by the Chargers fair weather fans.

3) Poor team leadership. Phillip Rivers demoralizes his team when they are down - much like Elvis Grbac did here. Additionally, needing to rely on guys like Vincent Jackson doesn't help, either. The Chiefs don't have guys like this on their roster.

Its funny, recently Rivers said "It's the play-offs from here on out". I hope for our sake that in his mind it is! Rivers has a 3-4 career record in the playoffs with a 8-9 TD/Interception ratio and a QB rating of 79. I think that is reflective of his hot head. When you think of Superbowl winning QB's you think of Montana or Brady, guys who are Supercool, where you can't tell from looking at them who is winning...then you look at Rivers pouting and kicking the ball like a impetuous child and see why the Chargers continue their history of being the laughing stock of the NFL as the biggest chokers in the history of the game. I mean these guys had Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow and couldn't make a Superbowl...pathetic.

Really, San Diego should be banned from coming back and winning the AFC West this year, since even if they do they will just choke in the play-offs anyways...