PDA

View Full Version : Worst rule in the NFL......

SIC J
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I would have to say its the TD catches. With the rule stating that the player has to maintain possession of the ball all the way til the play ends.

So say the WR catches the ball, gets 2 feet in bounds, falls down, and the ball come lose, its incomplete and no TD.

That being said, it makes no sense that if that SAME catch occurred at the 50 yard line, it would be ruled a catch.

I think the rule should be the SAME no matter where you are on the field.

My take on it, the NFL changes the rule back to how it was. The NFL FAILED by bringing that rule into effect this year and screwed over a couple teams and outcomes.

4everchiefsfan25
12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I would have to say its the TD catches. With the rule stating that the player has to maintain possession of the ball all the way til the play ends.

So say the WR catches the ball, gets 2 feet in bounds, falls down, and the ball come lose, its incomplete and no TD.

That being said, it makes no sense that if that SAME catch occurred at the 50 yard line, it would be ruled a catch.

I think the rule should be the SAME no matter where you are on the field.

My take on it, the NFL changes the rule back to how it was. The NFL FAILED by bringing that rule into effect this year and screwed over a couple teams and outcomes.

It seems like the NFL is trying to control every little thing. They don't want these guys to play the game or effect the outcome of a game they would rather put it in the refs hands.

chief31
12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I can't argue against ya on that one.

But I'll add.....

Any penalty that includes an "automatic first down".

Are there any penalties that result in an automatic fourth down?

Those penalties, as well as the length of PI penalties were put in place to compete with the high scoring games of Arena Football.

Problem is, arena football is retarded. There was no reason to compete for most retarded.

The NFL was a whole lot better when it wasn't being penalized to help offenses.

That's my opinion, anyway. I like defense.

josh1971
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't like penalties for excessive celebrations. If it delays the game, call a delay of game. If the celebration is profane, throw unsportsmanlike conduct.

Not a huge fan of spot fouls like DPI

I don't like the league cracking down on hard hitting. Leading with your helmet is just plain wrong, but hitting someone hard is a great part of the game that fans, coaches, announcers, and so on like. To quote Gene Hackman from "The Replacements"--- "That's why girls don't play the game."

But then, I don't like the fact that if you touch anyone's face as any of the other twenty one people on the field, it's a penalty, but as the running back, it's just a "good stiff arm".

And can you more intentionally ground the ball than to spike it to stop the clock? Either intentionally grounding the ball is or isn't a penalty between the tackles...

Pro_Angler
12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
worte rule for me is that you cant challenge PI calls.. thats BS

josh1971
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM

That is crap, I agree.

matthewschiefs
12-15-2010, 09:26 PM

But I'll add.....

Those penalties, as well as the length of PI penalties were put in place to compete with the high scoring games of Arena Football.

Problem is, arena football is retarded. There was no reason to compete for most retarded.

I don't like the auto 1st downs either. Unless the yardage is enough I don't think it should be a 1st.

I do like that they put the ball at the spot of the foul on PI. It would reward a defender for commiting a penalty if they didn't on some plays. I like the PI rules myself.

matthewschiefs
12-15-2010, 09:28 PM

I don't disagree but I don't think we will ever see it where you can. If they open that up then they will have to open up were you can challange any peanlty call I really don't want to see holding call challanged during a game.

Chiefster
12-15-2010, 10:28 PM

But I'll add.....

Intentional grounding on third down. :D

hometeam
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
teh touchdown rule is fine.

If it was a catch in the reguler field of play you would have to control it the same difference.

hometeam
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM

This.

This is the only official call that should be reviewable.

These are constantly GAME CHANGING bad calls that can go hypothetically for 99 yards.

In practice they go for 30+ yards all the time!

CHALLENGE!

4everchiefsfan25
12-16-2010, 12:58 PM
The NFL is taking away the name "shut down corner" because back in the day the cb's were able to put their hands on a WR now does if a CB even looks at a WR the wrong way its PI

reded
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
The NFL has always wanted high scoring games. It makes it interesting and keeps the crowd alive. The only problem is, they've limited the Defense to such an extreme that it's become a joke. A defender can't touch the QB or a receiver without a penalty and God forbid his helmet happens to brush up against another player....

4everchiefsfan25
12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Ya but what the NFL is doing is taking the decision of the game out of the players hands and putting that decision in the refs hands and it sux.

chiefnut
12-16-2010, 01:30 PM
i don't mind the possession rule for receivers, but the "tuck" rule sucks.....the ruffing the QB rule clearly needs to be modified to "incidental contact" and/or "intent".......pass interference needs incidental contact as well, should only be called if it impeded or interfered with the receivers ability to make the catch.....and let's add a "diving" rule like they have in hockey..if you fall or feign being hit like a punter or QB to get a penalty, the penalty is called on you taking a "dive"......in general personal fouls must again show intent or more than incidental contact..........yes i know the refs will have to make a judgment call on all of these but what the heck, they are wrong half of the time now so if they are wrong on half of those we probably pick up 25% better calls.

SIC J
12-16-2010, 01:38 PM
teh touchdown rule is fine.

If it was a catch in the reguler field of play you would have to control it the same difference.

Actually you're wrong. If you catch the football at the 50 yard line, get 2 feet inbounds, fall to the ground, and then hit the ground causing the ball to come loose, ITS A CATCH. The whole "the ground can't cause a fumble" rule comes into effect. That rule is ONLY enforced for TD catches.

SIC J
12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Also what is lame is if you dive into the end zone holding the ball out and someone knocks it out of your hand before you land on the ground, its a TD as long as even the tip of the ball breaks the plain.

Shouldn't play have to continue til the play is over just like a TD catch then?

Point is, the rule should either be enforced or not enforced no matter where it is on the field. There shouldn't be special circumstances for certain rules that the play is the same on.

Just like the only person that can put their hand on the face mask is the ball carrier........

chief31
12-16-2010, 03:00 PM
The TD catch rule will definitely be changed this offseason.

It is a terrible rule, no doubt. And it has been brought into play enough that everyone has noticed how stupid it is.

Pro_Angler
12-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't disagree but I don't think we will ever see it where you can. If they open that up then they will have to open up were you can challange any peanlty call I really don't want to see holding call challanged during a game.

Yea PI calls gives the refs the ability to change the flow and outcome of the game..we seen it twice this year first hand. And down by contact...come on..

Pro_Angler
12-16-2010, 08:10 PM
watch how this season unfolds..the chargers will get sooo many calls and we and the faiders wil get it up the butt.. they want the chargers in the playoffs!!
Call me paranoid but the NFL and NCAA is dirty.

hometeam
12-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Actually you're wrong. If you catch the football at the 50 yard line, get 2 feet inbounds, fall to the ground, and then hit the ground causing the ball to come loose, ITS A CATCH. The whole "the ground can't cause a fumble" rule comes into effect. That rule is ONLY enforced for TD catches.

if you dont control the ball through the act of catch inbound or not its not a catch.

50 yard line or endzone makes no diff. You cant bobble it while going out of bounds.

wilqb16
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
if you dont control the ball through the act of catch inbound or not its not a catch.

50 yard line or endzone makes no diff. You cant bobble it while going out of bounds.

Yeah - I am pretty sure this is right. You have to complete the catch throughout anywhere...

chiefnut
12-17-2010, 07:48 AM
the ground can't cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass...no matter what part of the field you are on. if you have complete control, get both feet down , tuck the ball away, then go out of bounds its a catch.....if you are diving for it, drag both feet in bounds, fall out of bounds and the ball comes loose when you hit the ground, well shes' a no catch!

BoltWalt
12-17-2010, 11:47 AM

But then, I don't like the fact that if you touch anyone's face as any of the other twenty one people on the field, it's a penalty, but as the running back, it's just a "good stiff arm".

I never much cared for that myself.

And can you more intentionally ground the ball than to spike it to stop the clock? Either intentionally grounding the ball is or isn't a penalty between the tackles...The reason for intentional grounding is that normally was a method of a QB trying to avoid a sack and subsequent loss of yards. If you take away the spike to stop the clock by penalizing it, the end of most games will become boring and unexciting. The spike really falls under a special circumstance of time management, if you don't like the spike perhaps something could be worked out where the spike is called and the down is sacrificed for a clock stoppage. I would be against any such move for obvious reasons.

SIC J
12-17-2010, 12:08 PM
the ground can't cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass...no matter what part of the field you are on. if you have complete control, get both feet down , tuck the ball away, then go out of bounds its a catch.....if you are diving for it, drag both feet in bounds, fall out of bounds and the ball comes loose when you hit the ground, well shes' a no catch!

I've seen it 3 times so far this season.......

hometeam
12-17-2010, 08:32 PM
^ its been a media induced frenzy this year, trying to induce people to ***** about it so they have something to talk about, creating controversy = ratings.

The rule is the same anywhere on the field.

tornadospotter
12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
I really do not like the ball breaks the goal line plane it is a TD, For a Touchdown! The ball should be all the way in the end zone, if a FG touches the uprights in any way, it should be 3 points, but it is not.

chiefnut
12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
if you have to have possession to catch a ball for a td you should need possess the ball running it in as well

SIC J
12-18-2010, 01:13 PM
if you have to have possession to catch a ball for a td you should need possess the ball running it in as well

I agree

chiefnut
12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree

how do we get on the rules committee :beer:

KristofLaw
12-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Most of the rules tagged by this guy at crucial moments of critical games. This sucker is a pro at setting games. Philly, Green Bay, Chicago, Baltimore, Dallas... but more specifically if the Broncos or Colts need a call... he's reffing the game, I can't stand him. Not what you meant, I know... :D

Terry McAulay (http://www.football-refs.com/active-refs/terry-mcaulay/)

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/12/43.jpg

tornadospotter
12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I really do not like the ball breaks the goal line plane it is a TD, For a Touchdown! The ball should be all the way in the end zone, if a FG touches the uprights in any way, it should be 3 points, but it is not.
Let me clarify my point here, what I meant to say is, if the ball breaks the goal line it is considered a touchdown, so then by that standard, if the ball on a field goal kick touches the goal post, it should count as good. So to me, the ball should be completely in the end zone to count as a TD.

SIC J
12-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Let me clarify my point here, what I meant to say is, if the ball breaks the goal line it is considered a touchdown, so then by that standard, if the ball on a field goal kick touches the goal post, it should count as good. So to me, the ball should be completely in the end zone to count as a TD.

There shouldn't even be that white line in front of the endzone anyways. Its pointless.