PDA

View Full Version : Just the facts.

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 03:57 PM
There is no doubt the Chiefs will need to play their best game to beat the Chargers at home on Sunday. However, the tale of the tape says that this game should be close. Both teams are in much the same boat right now and only five combined points separate the two teams in their last three contests. The following are some statistics to consider when evaluating the Chiefs' chances of coming out of Qualcomm with a win on Sunday.

Rushing - The Chiefs are ranked 4th defensively in the league right now. The Chargers are ranked 22nd. The Chiefs have held Tomlinson to under 70 rushing yards in four of the last five meetings between the two teams. Larry Johnson has averaged over 115 yards per game in 3 contests against the Chargers. In 11 games against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has broken the century mark only four times. The Chiefs are 18-6 and the Chargers are 30-8 when each team's featured back tops the 100-yard mark. However, the Chargers are only 1-3 in the four games Tomlinson has rushed for over 100 yards against the Chiefs. Currently, the Chargers are ranked 9th against the rush while the Chiefs are 18th in the NFL. Both teams are ranked 30th and 31st in rushing offense with the Chargers holding the slight edge so far in the 2007 season.

Passing - The Chiefs are currently ranked 24th in the pass while the Chargers are tied for the 18th spot with Carolina. However, the Chiefs are ranked 5th in passing defense and the Chargers are 22nd after the first 3 weeks of this season. In two starts against Kansas City, Phillip Rivers' quarterback rating has been a mere 57.8. Last December in San Diego, the Chiefs' defense held Rivers to just eight completions and forced two interceptions. Rivers ended that contest with a career-low passer rating of 12.4. Both teams boast 5 wins when their current starting quarterbacks post a passer rating of better than 100. Both Huard and Rivers accomplished this last week.

Coaching - Norv Turner is currently 0-5 against the Chiefs. Turner went 0-4 against Kansas City in Oakland and 0-1 with the Redskins. Meanwhile, Herm Edwards owns a 4-2 career record against the Chargers.

Turnovers - The Chiefs have forced six turnovers so far this season while the Chargers have turned the ball over six times. Kansas City owns the longest current streak of games with a forced turnover with 22. The Chargers are 2-12 at home when they don't win the turnover battle since 2002.

Scoring - Eight of the last eleven games between the Chiefs and the Chargers have been decided by seven points or less. The team going into the locker room with a halftime lead has won 15 of the last 17 games in this series. Both teams have trailed at intermission in all three of their games this season and currently hold NFL-ranks of last and next-to-last in first-half scoring differential. The Chiefs have not allowed any first-quarter points in two games this season and nine times total under Herm Edwards. The Chargers have scored over 73 percent of their points in the second half in 2007. Last year, the Chargers led the league in second-half points per game with 16.9 as well as setting an NFL record with 176 points scored in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, the Chiefs' defense has allowed only six second-half points this season with only three of these points allowed in the fourth quarter.

Homefield advantage - The Chargers have won nine games in a row at Qualcomm and currently hold the second-longest active home-winning streak in the NFL behind the Colts, who have won ten in a row at home. Since 1996, the home team has won 17 of 22 games in this series.

Most of these stats came from the linked article if you want to check them out for yourself.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/25/kansas_citys_defense_needs_another_strong_performa nce/

This is going to be a hard game for either team to come out of with a win and may prove to be a very exciting contest. Both teams are similarly "on the ropes" right now and badly need this win. Don't write anybody out just yet.

anaeelbackwards
09-26-2007, 04:05 PM
yes both teams need this win.

but i really see LT lighting it up vs the CHIEFS.

LJ might get some yards in but with that O'line, im not sure.

id really like to see the CHIEFS win this sunday but I don't see it.

though i wouldnt be surprised seeing the CHIEFS win going into the BYE. it would be suhweet!

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 04:07 PM

though i wouldnt be surprised seeing the CHIEFS win going into the BYE. it would be suhweet!

LT hasn't done well this year and the Chiefs are one of the best teams at stopping him-- even when he was running well.

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Going into the bye????? Our bye isn't until week 8.

stlchief
09-26-2007, 05:10 PM
defense is hot right now. Chargers offense is not. --> Advantage Chiefs.

Chargers defense is not hot right now. Nither is the Chiefs offense. --> Push.

However, it is worth noting that the Chiefs offense springs to life in the second half (4th qtr the first 2 games, 3rd & 4th last week). If they keep that same mentality, I think you say advantage to Chiefs offense.

I really see no reason we don't come back with a win (unless we go back to 80% run / 2% pass / 18% punt).

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
LT hasn't done well this year and the Chiefs are one of the best teams at stopping him-- even when he was running well.

I don't know that I agree with this. I believe I remember him going for almost 200 and 2 TD's last year against us!!

hermhater
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM
There is no way LJ and LT are going to be held like this all year (barring the coaches banging their head against the wall) maybe this will be break out games for both of them.

I can't wait to see LJ running over Merriman!

As long as LT doesn't run toward Ty Law we should be able to contain him for under 120 yards.

I predict LJ 125 LT 110!

stlchief
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't know that I agree with this. I believe I remember him going for almost 200 and 2 TD's last year against us!!

the article I read said we had held him to 70 yards in 4 of the last 5 games. maybe the last one was the exception. I don't think he played in the SD game @ Arrowhead last year, so the 4 stops are probably 2004 & 2005 seasons.

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 05:36 PM

He went for 198 yards and 2 TD's in that game. Overall, the Chiefs ARE better at stopping LT than most teams (at least up until this season and the performances he's been putting up so far).

In 11 games against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has broken the century mark only four times. The Chiefs are 18-6 and the Chargers are 30-8 when each team's featured back tops the 100-yard mark. However, the Chargers are only 1-3 in the four games Tomlinson has rushed for over 100 yards against the Chiefs. Currently, the Chargers are ranked 9th against the rush while the Chiefs are 18th in the NFL. Both teams are ranked 30th and 31st in rushing offense with the Chargers holding the slight edge so far in the 2007 season.

Did you read the original post?

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 05:47 PM
the article I read said we had held him to 70 yards in 4 of the last 5 games. maybe the last one was the exception. I don't think he played in the SD game @ Arrowhead last year, so the 4 stops are probably 2004 & 2005 seasons.

I forgot to put that line in as well. Here it is:

The Chiefs have held Tomlinson to under 70 rushing yards in four of the last five meetings between the two teams.

Tomlinson having one big game in five would hardly make 200 yards and 2 TD's the norm for him versus the Chiefs.

rbedgood
09-26-2007, 05:49 PM
There is no doubt the Chiefs will need to play their best game to beat the Chargers at home on Sunday. However, the tale of the tape says that this game should be close. Both teams are in much the same boat right now and only five combined points separate the two teams in their last three contests. The following are some statistics to consider when evaluating the Chiefs' chances of coming out of Qualcomm with a win on Sunday.

Rushing - The Chiefs are ranked 4th defensively in the league right now. The Chargers are ranked 22nd. The Chiefs have held Tomlinson to under 70 rushing yards in four of the last five meetings between the two teams. Larry Johnson has averaged over 115 yards per game in 3 contests against the Chargers. In 11 games against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has broken the century mark only four times. The Chiefs are 18-6 and the Chargers are 30-8 when each team's featured back tops the 100-yard mark. However, the Chargers are only 1-3 in the four games Tomlinson has rushed for over 100 yards against the Chiefs. Currently, the Chargers are ranked 9th against the rush while the Chiefs are 18th in the NFL. Both teams are ranked 30th and 31st in rushing offense with the Chargers holding the slight edge so far in the 2007 season.

Passing - The Chiefs are currently ranked 24th in the pass while the Chargers are tied for the 18th spot with Carolina. However, the Chiefs are ranked 5th in passing defense and the Chargers are 22nd after the first 3 weeks of this season. In two starts against Kansas City, Phillip Rivers' quarterback rating has been a mere 57.8. Last December in San Diego, the Chiefs' defense held Rivers to just eight completions and forced two interceptions. Rivers ended that contest with a career-low passer rating of 12.4. Both teams boast 5 wins when their current starting quarterbacks post a passer rating of better than 100. Both Huard and Rivers accomplished this last week.

Coaching - Norv Turner is currently 0-5 against the Chiefs. Turner went 0-4 against Kansas City in Oakland and 0-1 with the Redskins. Meanwhile, Herm Edwards owns a 4-2 career record against the Chargers.

Turnovers - The Chiefs have forced six turnovers so far this season while the Chargers have turned the ball over six times. Kansas City owns the longest current streak of games with a forced turnover with 22. The Chargers are 2-12 at home when they don't win the turnover battle since 2002.

Scoring - Eight of the last eleven games between the Chiefs and the Chargers have been decided by seven points or less. The team going into the locker room with a halftime lead has won 15 of the last 17 games in this series. Both teams have trailed at intermission in all three of their games this season and currently hold NFL-ranks of last and next-to-last in first-half scoring differential. The Chiefs have not allowed any first-quarter points in two games this season and nine times total under Herm Edwards. The Chargers have scored over 73 percent of their points in the second half in 2007. Last year, the Chargers led the league in second-half points per game with 16.9 as well as setting an NFL record with 176 points scored in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, the Chiefs' defense has allowed only six second-half points this season with only three of these points allowed in the fourth quarter.

Homefield advantage - The Chargers have won nine games in a row at Qualcomm and currently hold the second-longest active home-winning streak in the NFL behind the Colts, who have won ten in a row at home. Since 1996, the home team has won 17 of 22 games in this series.

Most of these stats came from the linked article if you want to check them out for yourself.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/25/kansas_citys_defense_needs_another_strong_performa nce/

This is going to be a hard game for either team to come out of with a win and may prove to be a very exciting contest. Both teams are similarly "on the ropes" right now and badly need this win. Don't write anybody out just yet.

Impressive post...rep added.

hermhater
09-26-2007, 05:57 PM

I love the evaluation of this years stats, but this can't possibly be the norm for these two teams ALL year.

Both these teams are gonna have breakout games on offense.

We will hold LT to under 120 yards, sack Rivers 4 times. He throws for 2 TD. LJ gets none. (Unless he passes.)

That is breakout or LT.

LJ will run OVER Merriman for over 120 yards, 2 TD.

The Chiefs will do the same as the Cards and Ravens and start using TWO QB's, and they will both throw for 2 TD each!

Final score 42-17 Chiefs!

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 06:03 PM
I love the evaluation of this years stats, but this can't possibly be the norm for these two teams ALL year.

We will hold LT to under 120 yards, sack Rivers 4 times. He throws for 2 TD. LJ gets none. (Unless he passes.)

That is breakout or LT.

The Chiefs will do the same as the Cards and Ravens and start using TWO QB's, and they will both throw for 2 TD each!

Put down the pipe and join us back in reality please. :lol: j/k

I definately think LJ and LT are both just as likely to break out this week with a good performance. The two QB system won't happen by any means. Huard has just started to turn in on in the second half of last week's game. Look for him to steadily improve his numbers now as the season continues.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers try a pass or two with LT this week if they get in the red zone in order to try and get something going. Our defense is tough right now and the Chargers could very well be in for another week of offensive frustration.

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
He went for 198 yards and 2 TD's in that game. Overall, the Chiefs ARE better at stopping LT than most teams (at least up until this season and the performances he's been putting up so far).

In 11 games against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has broken the century mark only four times. The Chiefs are 18-6 and the Chargers are 30-8 when each team's featured back tops the 100-yard mark. However, the Chargers are only 1-3 in the four games Tomlinson has rushed for over 100 yards against the Chiefs. Currently, the Chargers are ranked 9th against the rush while the Chiefs are 18th in the NFL. Both teams are ranked 30th and 31st in rushing offense with the Chargers holding the slight edge so far in the 2007 season.

Did you read the original post?

Yea I read it. I also read the part about the Chiefs being 18th against the run. That spell a long day against LT!

The only hope we have if Rivers continues to have bad games against us. He's been terrible in his 2 and only games against us. Like someone said earlier, if we can hold LT to 120 and a TD, we may have a chance because I don't think Rivers will light it up.

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 06:16 PM

That is breakout or LT.

That's it, you are the new ROSIE!!! Those glasses could use a good scrubbin!!!! Pass the Whacky Tabacci please!!

hermhater
09-26-2007, 06:18 PM

I definately think LJ and LT are both just as likely to break out this week with a good performance. The two QB system won't happen by any means. Huard has just started to turn in on in the second half of last week's game. Look for him to steadily improve his numbers now as the season continues.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers try a pass or two with LT this week if they get in the red zone in order to try and get something going. Our defense is tough right now and the Chargers could very well be in for another week of offensive frustration.

Hey a guy can dream....

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 06:18 PM

I think the "platoon QB" is a thing of the future!!! Two teams will impliment it this week!! With the exception of teams with stud QB's of course.

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Yea I read it. I also read the part about the Chiefs being 18th against the run. That spell a long day against LT!

The only hope we have if Rivers continues to have bad games against us. He's been terrible in his 2 and only games against us. Like someone said earlier, if we can hold LT to 120 and a TD, we may have a chance because I don't think Rivers will light it up.

Good point. As I said before, I think LJ and LT are both just as likely to break out this game as the other.

As far as Rivers is concerned, remember that we are 5th against the pass right now and the Chargers are 22nd. Offensively, the Chargers are 18th in passing and we are 24th. Look for the Chiefs to move up that list this week.

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Good point. As I said before, I think LJ and LT are both just as likely to break out this game as the other.

As far as Rivers is concerned, remember that we are 5th against the pass right now and the Chargers are 22nd. Offensively, the Chargers are 18th in passing and we are 24th. Look for the Chiefs to move up that list this week.

No doubt!!!

There are two stats IMO that are the most important in football and that indicate whether you will have a succesful season or not. (among a few other things)

#1 3rd down conversions.....if you can complete a good portion of your 3rd downs, you will score points, some may be field goals but points non tne less and keep your defense fresh.

#2 + - takeaway/giveaway ratio. Hopefully we can get a few int's this week to get us nicely onto the + side of things.

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
No doubt!!!

There are two stats IMO that are the most important in football and that indicate whether you will have a succesful season or not. (among a few other things)

#1 3rd down conversions.....if you can complete a good portion of your 3rd downs, you will score points, some may be field goals but points non tne less and keep your defense fresh.

#2 + - takeaway/giveaway ratio. Hopefully we can get a few int's this week to get us nicely onto the + side of things.

Absolutely! Both stats are huge factors in games. A big part of the Chiefs' success in the second half last Sunday was their 3rd down conversion percentage dramatically increased compared to the rest of this season so far.

hermhater
09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
No doubt!!!

Believe it or not I read this in Playboy.

They said the single most important stat in the game of football is this:

Total pass yards per attempt.

36 out of 41 teams that have won the Superbowl have led in this stat.

Now someone go and check whether they were telling the truth!

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. Makes sense seeing as how if you pass the ball well, you will probably get a lot of first downs as well as a higher probablility for big scoring plays.

DrunkHillbilly
09-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Who the F**************** reads while looking at a Playboy???????????????????????????????? I thought that's what you were suppose to tell your wife!!!:lol:

hermhater
09-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. Makes sense seeing as how if you pass the ball well, you will probably get a lot of first downs as well as a higher probablility for big scoring plays.

The article also said that is true of 80% of every game played.

hermhater
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Who the F**************** reads while looking at a Playboy???????????????????????????????? I thought that's what you were suppose to tell your wife!!!:lol:

Believe it or not I don't usually read any sports related articles in playboy (except interviews) and my gf was the one that pointed that out to me!

They trashed the Chiefs by the way...

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Believe it or not I don't usually read any sports related articles in playboy (except interviews) and my gf was the one that pointed that out to me!

They trashed the Chiefs by the way...

What a surprise... I have grown to expect this from every media source, every year. Then NFL still hates Lamar (may he rest in peace!)

hermhater
09-26-2007, 06:51 PM
What a surprise... I have grown to expect this from every media source, every year. Then NFL still hates Lamar (may he rest in peace!)

I hear ya man.

Who changed the odds on the Blockbuster?

If the chance of reward is lowered by a factor of ten then I want my risk reduced by a factor of ten.

What gives man?

m0ef0e
09-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I hear ya man.

Who changed the odds on the Blockbuster?

If the chance of reward is lowered by a factor of ten then I want my risk reduced by a factor of ten.

What gives man?

I'm not that worried about it. I'm going to try to buy the Royals with Arrowcash after I get that payout! :yahoo:

m0ebr0
09-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Absolutely! Both stats are huge factors in games. A big part of the Chiefs' success in the second half last Sunday was their 3rd down conversion percentage dramatically increased compared to the rest of this season so far.

And the ability to stop Minnisotta and have them go 3 and out.

hermhater
09-26-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not that worried about it. I'm going to try to buy the Royals with Arrowcash after I get that payout! :yahoo:

You should start your own www.royalscrowd.com

Be the owner, gm, coach and trainer!

Chiefster
09-27-2007, 12:15 AM
You should start your own www.royalscrowd.com (http://www.royalscrowd.com)

Be the owner, gm, coach and trainer!

He could get King Carl for GM. :D

Coach
09-27-2007, 12:31 AM

I read it pretty much cover to cover every month. Perfect bathroom reading material.

hermhater
09-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I read it pretty much cover to cover every month. Perfect bathroom reading material.

Do you have a camera in my apt?

I am going to go and check the bathroom vent...

(suspicious)

:lol:

Chiefster
09-27-2007, 01:07 AM

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09...performa nce/ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/25/kansas_citys_defense_needs_another_strong_performa nce/)

This is going to be a hard game for either team to come out of with a win and may prove to be a very exciting contest. Both teams are similarly "on the ropes" right now and badly need this win. Don't write anybody out just yet.Agreed, both teams on paper seem to have their advantages over the other, and on paper it looks as if the Chiefs my actually have an edge, however, the game is played on the field - not on paper; what concerns me most about this game is that it is on the road.

Great article m0ef0e! :sign0098:

Canada
09-27-2007, 10:49 AM

sure....I really belive you are "reading" it in the bathroom!! :beer:

m0ef0e
09-27-2007, 12:46 PM
He could get King Carl for GM. :D

I would want to build a winning franchise with a realistic shot at winning a championship... not just fill the seats.

sling58
09-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Great find

Canada
09-28-2007, 08:43 AM
I would want to build a winning franchise with a realistic shot at winning a championship... not just fill the seats.

I want us to do both!! We have the core of a kick *** defense that should be around for years to come. Next years draft will be the deciding factor on how I really feel about the Herm era. Address the offensive needs and build some depth and we will be a powerhouse. That will sell the seats to all the people who think we suck and still call themselves Chiefs fans!!