PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weis-Stay or Go

-KcKing-
12-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Just read this from Mort on twitter- Filed to ESPN and as Gainesville Sun's Pat Dooley suggested, Charlie Weis is likely bound for Univ. of Florida as offensive coordinator.

Link to article- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5974715

DMN
12-31-2010, 02:47 PM
I just read that as well... Maybe the Josh McDaniels rumors hold some water.

It is very much a bummer that we are gonna lose him but I feel like he built a great foundation with a young offense. I don't see any BIG changes to our offensive personnel that would rock the boat.

I would not mind seeing Haley and McDaniels working together on an offense. He proved very valuable in NE and I bet his recent firing humbled him a bit.

Our O will still be potent... and I hate to say it... but I rather lose Weis than Crennel. But I am a defense kinda guy.

-KcKing-
12-31-2010, 02:53 PM
My question is why would you want to leave a playoff NFL team for the same job in college? And to top it off having to "be under" a head coach that has had zero experience. Confuses the heck outta me.

-KcKing-
12-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Michael Smith's twitter- I can assure you Chiefs HC Todd Haley isn't the least bit disappointed over "losing" OC Charlie Weis to the University of Florida.

Everyone is talking like it is pretty much a done deal. But I agree I'd rather lose Weis than Crennel. I just really hope McDaniels doesn't get the job.

g8rb8t
12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
as a Gator fan and a chief fan this is kinda weird.

I would love Charlie in Gainesville, but I want him in KC also. The only way I would be happy with this is as long as Josh McDaniels becomes the new OC.

nigeriannightmare
12-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Michael Smith's twitter- I can assure you Chiefs HC Todd Haley isn't the least bit disappointed over "losing" OC Charlie Weis to the University of Florida.

Everyone is talking like it is pretty much a done deal. But I agree I'd rather lose Weis than Crennel. I just really hope McDaniels doesn't get the job.

Love him or hate him the guy knows matt cassel...well!

Lazeye
12-31-2010, 03:25 PM
My question is why would you want to leave a playoff NFL team for the same job in college? And to top it off having to "be under" a head coach that has had zero experience. Confuses the heck outta me.
I agree that is odd, not sure I understand the thinking behind all this.

OPLookn
12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm of the same opinion...why on EARTH would you leave somewhere that pays better, and gets more publicity? This after failing as HC at ND? I could understand going somewhere else to be a HC of an NFL team but college...wha?

My guess is that Haley and Weis didn't get along all that well and Haley told him to move along or he'd shove him out the door. I think I remember something being said that Haley reserved the right to butt in and make a play change. My guess is they just couldn't work well together. Makes you wonder just how much of the offense Weis was calling and if it was better when he was calling it or Haley.... Just sayin....

kcvet
12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Haley and McDaniels ???? that's a cobra mongoose act

-KcKing-
12-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Love him or hate him the guy knows matt cassel...well!This is true, I guess I just don't like him because he is a cheater and I just don't really like his attitude. Any of you think that handshake will have any effect on if he gets it or not?

But, who cares it's almost playoff time!!! :drunkhb:

Lazeye
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Am I missing something? Haley and Charlie not getting along? Is Charlie not a good OC because I thought he was? Do you think our offense will lack next year with a different OC? If McDaniels does get the job I am ok with it, plus he will be used to Haley pointing and being mad at him so atleast McDaniels will be ready to deal with the stress.
:sign0085:

-KcKing-
12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
I tweeted him to see if he could give us a little inside scoop, guess just wait and see if he answers. Your guys guesses are just as good as mine at this point.

4everchiefsfan25
12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Am I missing something? Haley and Charlie not getting along? Is Charlie not a good OC because I thought he was? Do you think our offense will lack next year with a different OC? If McDaniels does get the job I am ok with it, plus he will be used to Haley pointing and being mad at him so atleast McDaniels will be ready to deal with the stress.
There was rumors going on during the middle of th season that Todd Haley and Charlie were yelling at each other during practice and stuff but they both never admitted to it so who knows. I dont really want Weis to leave but if he does I do want Mcdaniels to come to kc because he already knows the offense and he is very good at coaching up the QB's so I hope charlie dont leave but if he does please bring in Mcdaniels

Ryfo18
12-31-2010, 05:06 PM
My personal thoughts on this, and this is entirely my own opinion....

McDaniels is a guy that Pioli likes. My guess is that Pioli wanted to get him here with Haley in 2009, but McDaniels took the Broncos job. Now that he's free, I feel like Charlie might be being forced out. It doesn't make much sense to me that he would leave an NFL OC job for a college one. I personally will welcome McDaniels with open arms, because he is a great offensive coordinator. I look to the great potential of this offense, and I see Cassel becoming a top 5 QB under McDaniels, with weapons like McCluster getting utilized more often in the slot with the addiition of a new #2 WR next year across from Bowe. This offense will be scary good.

All I know, is that I hope this is not a big distraction to the team, especially with the playoffs coming up.

#58ChiefsFan
12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think Wies is going anywhere.

Our team is once again a story the media is interested in. Being contacted and saying Charlie is the man they want is true, all the rest of this story is fabricated IMO

Our coaching staff is putting aside knee injuries till the season has ended. These guys have a rich and storied history together, when Haley says this is the first he heard of it I believe that. These guys agreed to rebuild our franchise, we're not rebuilt.

We are less than two weeks from hosting a playoff game. I believe Charlie was contacted and I would bet he told them that he wouldn't entertain any ideas while the season is still going on.

After we win the superbowl in a couple years these stories will mean more.

okikcfan
12-31-2010, 05:31 PM

Thet fact is we don't know anything for sure. good relationship or bad, who knows? It's all just a guessing game right now that is what we do know. We all had our fun in the past with lil'MickyD and the jokes and what have you but the fact is he is a very good OC. I do remember when Wies came on board a statement being made that this could only be for a year or two. He must not be under any long term contract if the Chiefs are letting people contact him for a job at the same level as here in KC. For what ever reasons it's the next few games I am concerned about at this point in time. After that it's all in Pioli and Haley's hands and I trust them to do the right thing. They have done pretty good so far!

:chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

matthewschiefs
12-31-2010, 06:07 PM
There seems to be alot of talk like this is already a done deal. Maybe with Weis health he is wanting to take a step back. That's the only thing I can think of as to why he would make this move.

Ryfo18
12-31-2010, 06:09 PM
There seems to be alot of talk like this is already a done deal. Maybe with Weis health he is wanting to take a step back. That's the only thing I can think of as to why he would make this move.

Also true. I think a college kid is less of a responsibility for him. He's a family man. He has a kid with down's syndrome too I believe and probably wants to spend more time with his family.

kcvet
12-31-2010, 06:10 PM
what's wrong with his health ???

okikcfan
12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Besides being overweight, nothing really. From what I understand he lives in New York so it would not really be closer to home but, the seasons are shorter so yes he would have more home time to spend with his daughter who is autistic. The way it'sbeing told on ESPN sounds as if it's pretty much for sure.

Coach
12-31-2010, 07:53 PM
My guess is that Haley and Weis didn't get along all that well and Haley told him to move along or he'd shove him out the door. I think I remember something being said that Haley reserved the right to butt in and make a play change. My guess is they just couldn't work well together. Makes you wonder just how much of the offense Weis was calling and if it was better when he was calling it or Haley.... Just sayin....There may be something to this post. The playcalling was really odd at the beginning of the season and has gotten much better. Possibly because Haley stepped in.
But I would caution everyone about taking this thread too seriously. Chris Mortenson is reporting this and his track record is not good to say the least. His KC source also told him that the Chiefs agreed to terms with Mike Shanahan to be our current coach. I'm sure some of you remember that load of crap. Mort is out of touch and reaches for stories to keep up with the Adam Schefters' of the world. Until Weiss comments, take it all with a grain of salt. Nobody takes a lateral move from Pro to college unless they are being forced to.

okikcfan
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
lol Coach, I do remember that, Good point...Thanks!

reded
12-31-2010, 11:57 PM
IF, this is all true, I wouldn't be opposed to McDaniels coming here as long as his ego is kept in check. He has done some great things in the past and has a younger mindset ala Haley. I think they would make a good team. I don't like Josh due to the SpyGate scenario but if he can help the Chiefs and keep his nose clean, I'll welcome him once he's proven himself.

matthewschiefs
01-01-2011, 01:09 AM
There may be something to this post. The playcalling was really odd at the beginning of the season and has gotten much better. Possibly because Haley stepped in.
But I would caution everyone about taking this thread too seriously. Chris Mortenson is reporting this and his track record is not good to say the least. His KC source also told him that the Chiefs agreed to terms with Mike Shanahan to be our current coach. I'm sure some of you remember that load of crap. Mort is out of touch and reaches for stories to keep up with the Adam Schefters' of the world. Until Weiss comments, take it all with a grain of salt. Nobody takes a lateral move from Pro to college unless they are being forced to.

I do recall the Shanahan reports. I think that Mortison even said that was confirmed. I won't be sure that Charlie is moveing on untill he is moveing on.

Todd Haley is the reason that I won't be to upset should Wise move on. He did a pretty good job as our OC at the end of last season. WORST CASE he is once again our head coach/OC. This would not be the end of the world.

kckidd8870
01-01-2011, 01:50 AM
I like the help charlie gave us and all.We will have more success with a OC that will go down the field alittle more.Charlie likes the run and the short passing game.Backs coming out in the flats.We need an OC that will stretch the field.When all you do is run and a short passing game,you can stck 8 or 9 in the box and cover are run game and pass game.To tell you the truth ,I think Haley had him open it up alittle last week.we will get Fitzgerald in here next year and game on baby.We will have a potent run game and pass game.With all the weapons we have.Im glad we had charlie for the time we did,but at the same time will be glad to see him go.Just my opinion.Good luck to you charlie if you leave us.

Chiefster
01-01-2011, 02:17 AM

Maybe he's thinking that in the long term there maybe a head coaching gig in it for him. I don't know.

Chiefster
01-01-2011, 02:20 AM
There may be something to this post. The playcalling was really odd at the beginning of the season and has gotten much better. Possibly because Haley stepped in.

Excellent point!

Coach
01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
If we were going to lose one of our coordinators, I would definitely prefer it to be Weiss. Crennel is getting much more out of our players than any previous DC's.

azchiefsfan
01-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Well, Weiss did find a way to get Cassell and Bowe on the same page. That was the biggest step in the offense this year. When the quitter was still running good, our offense still stunk because there was no passing threat. So an effective pass threat has opened up the running game and vice-versa. Basically Weiss has shaped us into a very balanced offense, with a serious passing game. I would hate to see him go.

ChiefCad
01-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I have 4 tix in Section 105, 3rd and 4th rows. Turns out we cannot make it. Anyone want to buy them at really good price?

matthewschiefs
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
If we were going to lose one of our coordinators, I would definitely prefer it to be Weiss. Crennel is getting much more out of our players than any previous DC's.

Me to. Worst come to worst we have Todd Haley as OC. We don't have that for DC. I would rather Haley just be the head coach but that's not a horrible worst case spot to be in.

Hayvern
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Me to. Worst come to worst we have Todd Haley as OC. We don't have that for DC. I would rather Haley just be the head coach but that's not a horrible worst case spot to be in.

Put that idea out of your head. I like Haley as a head coach and a head coach ONLY. Yeah, he knows the job, but there is just too much for one guy to do both of those jobs and it shows.

The choice Haley made last year with going for both head coach and offensive coordinator was a terrible one. We cannot go back to that.

reded
01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Put that idea out of your head. I like Haley as a head coach and a head coach ONLY. Yeah, he knows the job, but there is just too much for one guy to do both of those jobs and it shows.

The choice Haley made last year with going for both head coach and offensive coordinator was a terrible one. We cannot go back to that.

Agreed! He's doing a fine job as the HC, no need in piling more on his plate and ruining the system that we have, which seems to be working.

matthewschiefs
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM

I agree with that. I don't want him to go back to that. But we could have a lot worse then that. That's all I was saying.

Hayvern
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Just read this from Mort on twitter- Filed to ESPN and as Gainesville Sun's Pat Dooley suggested, Charlie Weis is likely bound for Univ. of Florida as offensive coordinator.

Link to article- Florida Gators want Charlie Weis to be offensive coordinator, sources say - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5974715)

HAHAH Really? That would be a demotion of the largest magnitude. Unless Haley and Weiss are not on the same page, I find this incredibly stupid. Maybe this is coming out because Weiss and Haley are not working eye to eye, but it would seem that who ever is calling the plays is getting it done. All the other has to do is get on board, whether it is Haley or Weiss.

azchiefsfan
01-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I cannot believe that a professional OC, who has a chance to become a head coach in the NFL with the results he has achieved would go to the NCAA for a potential HC job eventually. Even if Haley wanted to let him go, I can think of 3 NFL teams that would snatch him up instantly: Tennessee, Jacksonville and Cleveland. The more I think about it, the more I think this is a media driven story. On NFL Network they quoted Haley as saying, "It's news to me". I think it is being pushed by those in the media who still see KC as the Siberian gulag coaches are banished to and can't wait to leave. I will believe it when the news conference with Weiss or Haley is called to announce it. The sports media is controlled by the Left and East coast, and it is in there interest to derail KC's amazing run. To the media pimps pushing this crap I have 1 thing to say::mooning:

azchiefsfan
01-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah, the 69ers would jump at the chance, as well.

matthewschiefs
01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I cannot believe that a professional OC, who has a chance to become a head coach in the NFL with the results he has achieved would go to the NCAA for a potential HC job eventually. Even if Haley wanted to let him go, I can think of 3 NFL teams that would snatch him up instantly: Tennessee, Jacksonville and Cleveland. The more I think about it, the more I think this is a media driven story. On NFL Network they quoted Haley as saying, "It's news to me". I think it is being pushed by those in the media who still see KC as the Siberian gulag coaches are banished to and can't wait to leave. I will believe it when the news conference with Weiss or Haley is called to announce it. The sports media is controlled by the Left and East coast, and it is in there interest to derail KC's amazing run. To the media pimps pushing this crap I have 1 thing to say::mooning:

It's amazing how little we are talked about. Even after we won the AFC west they mentioned that we won it then talked to 10 minuits about the CHARGERS. But They are more the willing to talk alot about this. We for sure don't get our due respect from the media but after 3 superbowl wins they will HAVE to show us some. I say we do that. :chiefs:

ARROWHEADxPRIDE
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Josh McDaniels would be a good offensive coordinator for us as long as him and Todd Haley can get along.

Ryfo18
01-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Now I'm reading Weis's son has ties to the Florida organization and that's why he wants to go. Honestly, that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

nigeriannightmare
01-02-2011, 10:18 AM
It's amazing how little we are talked about. Even after we won the AFC west they mentioned that we won it then talked to 10 minuits about the CHARGERS. But They are more the willing to talk alot about this. We for sure don't get our due respect from the media but after 3 superbowl wins they will HAVE to show us some. I say we do that. :chiefs:
Ummm. Even mushmouth, has given us nothing but props. Most commentators I have listened to say that no one wants to play the Chiefs putting us up there with New England.

And lets not forget we won 10 games over a 3 year period the fact that we have 10 wins already is simply amazing. unbelievable turn around the foundation has been set and a dynasty is in the making. woohoo!