PDA

View Full Version : Can we all finally agree

figcrostic
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
We need major help on our O-line? I have said it many times and I'll say it again our O-line is not gonna get it done. Branden Albert is not a LT he's a guard, lilja is too small wiegman and waters are too old. We look good against small d-lines like the Titans but against real pass rushers like the Colts and Raiders we look horrible and can't get any holes open and we can't protect our QB. We honestly have gotten lucky this year in not facing many teams that have great pass rushers but when we do we look bad. This is should be our number one priority in the draft, our defense is good, special teams good, our rb's excellent and if we could build our line and get another good WR we would have an excellent passing game.

josh1971
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Wait a moment... most of the year, with the #1 rushing attack, we were getting praise galore here and out there for our O-line and its play. I'm not saying we don't need help (I'm always up for improvement), but these guys haven't played that bad this year.

Cassell hasn't been sacked that much, and we've run up a ton of rushing yards and TDs, and have sprung some pretty big plays with this line.

So- should we improve the O-line? Definitely. Is this one a disaster? Not really, in my mind.

Now if you want to talk about our backup QB situation...

brdempsey69
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
You know that I'm with you all the way on this one, fig. It's time to draft some talented players for the O-Line. They've only drafted 2 O-Lineman in the top 3 rounds in the last 10 years ( Albert and Asamoah ) and that isn't going to be enough to help them over the long haul.

figcrostic
01-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Wait a moment... most of the year, with the #1 rushing attack, we were getting praise galore here and out there for our O-line and its play. I'm not saying we don't need help (I'm always up for improvement), but these guys haven't played that bad this year.

Cassell hasn't been sacked that much, and we've run up a ton of rushing yards and TDs, and have sprung some pretty big plays with this line.

So- should we improve the O-line? Definitely. Is this one a disaster? Not really, in my mind.

Keep on saying ignorant stuff like our O-line is fine and we will keep getting beaten by teams with dominant d-lines. The whole first half of the year Cassel had to throw the ball the second it was snapped, and people kept wondering why. Because our line is tiny we don't handle big D-lines well. I'm scared for the Ravens game the Raiders are good at being physical and attacking the qb but the Ravens are even better.

josh1971
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I will say, I wouldn't be upset with them going 1st round this year on a Center.

Address the backup QB thing in free agency, but it NEEDS addressed.

And further:

Keep on saying ignorant stuff like our O-line is fine and we will keep getting beaten by teams with dominant d-lines. The whole first half of the year Cassel had to throw the ball the second it was snapped, and people kept wondering why. Because our line is tiny we don't handle big D-lines well. I'm scared for the Ravens game the Raiders are good at being physical and attacking the qb but the Ravens are even better.

Did I say it was fine? Nope. I *did* mention we can always improve it, but I don't think its a disaster. I'm pretty sure right tackle has been meh no matter who we've had in there. I don't know much on stats but it wouldn't seem Branden Albert has been so much of a liability at LT as he's made out to be. Casey is old- that's a fact- and I have ZERO faith in Niswanger to replace him capably.

Every year, I always hope that between free agency and the draft, we'll get a big red wall for our offense. This year, I thought they did ok. I'd love to see a line, though, that can pave the way for JC to get a 2000-yard season and give our QB whole afternoons to throw.

matthewschiefs
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Excalty the o line is not terrible. They played like crap today but throughout the season they have held up pretty well. YES we need to get better there in the offseason. But they have had a good year for the most part.

Eydugstr
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
We need major help on our O-line? I have said it many times and I'll say it again our O-line is not gonna get it done. Branden Albert is not a LT he's a guard, lilja is too small wiegman and waters are too old. We look good against small d-lines like the Titans but against real pass rushers like the Colts and Raiders we look horrible and can't get any holes open and we can't protect our QB. We honestly have gotten lucky this year in not facing many teams that have great pass rushers but when we do we look bad. This is should be our number one priority in the draft, our defense is good, special teams good, our rb's excellent and if we could build our line and get another good WR we would have an excellent passing game.

+1. The O-line did improve from the previous year, but this April I hope Pioli focuses on the O-line and really starts to consider grooming replacements for guys like Waters & Wiegmann.

In a way this game showed EXACTLY what we need to be a better team, near as I can tell the pass rush of the Raiders was the best we've faced all year. If we can get a line that can stop the Raiders D-line consistently we'd pretty much be set against anybody in the league.

Please don't view this as being negative - Even with today's loss, am still a really happy Chiefs fan (10-6 & AFC West champs!!). Who'dathunkit ?!?!? They've really improved and there's still another game on the horizon....

:chiefs:

figcrostic
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
+1. The O-line did improve from the previous year, but this April I hope Pioli focuses on the O-line and really starts to consider grooming replacements for guys like Waters & Wiegmann.

In a way this game showed EXACTLY what we need to be a better team, near as I can tell the pass rush of the Raiders was the best we've faced all year. If we can get a line that can stop the Raiders D-line consistently we'd pretty much be set against anybody in the league.

Please don't view this as being negative - Even with today's loss, am still a really happy Chiefs fan (10-6 & AFC West champs!!). Who'dathunkit ?!?!? They've really improved and there's still another game on the horizon....

:chiefs:

I don't view is as negative and we all are happy to have won 10 games assessing your weaks and strengths is no negative through logic and reasoning, Being negative would be saying our team sucks and we won't ever win in the playoffs because I don't know this to be true and I think we have a good chance to beat the Ravens.

chiefnut
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
look we over achieved this year, and i hope it continues, but yes we do need to upgrade th "o" line, get a tru NT, and get another elite pass rusher and WR. that should be a piece of cake

rodu
01-02-2011, 10:39 PM
take center and right tackle in rounds one and two

Boxermm187
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I really believe they took thier foot off the gas this game. I believe that there are areas that need improvement, but I see the WHOLE team playing on all gears come the playoffs.

josh1971
01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
look we over achieved this year, and i hope it continues, but yes we do need to upgrade th "o" line, get a tru NT, and get another elite pass rusher and WR. that should be a piece of cake

I love the optimism!!!! :bananen_smilies046:

Maybe we should just make Gilberry a convert to outside linebacker opposite Hali.

rodu
01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I love the optimism!!!! :bananen_smilies046:

Maybe we should just make Gilberry a convert to outside linebacker opposite Hali.

that's risky, just because Hali had was a booming success it doesn't mean Gilberry will have the same luck

josh1971
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry- forgot the "kidding" font.

Gilberry is good, but needs to stay as a DE for passing situations.

Boxermm187
01-02-2011, 10:47 PM
that's risky, just because Hali had was a booming success it doesn't mean Gilberry will have the same luck
I think he was just joking

figcrostic
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Sorry- forgot the "kidding" font.

Gilberry is good, but needs to stay as a DE for passing situations.

Why not give it a try many people said Hali would not cut it as a OLB.

Chiefster
01-02-2011, 11:37 PM
We seriously tanked this game and I'm very disappointed with the loss, but I can't find it in myself to be disappointed with the season as a whole.

...And yes, I agree; we need to seriously upgrade the o-line.

figcrostic
01-02-2011, 11:49 PM
We seriously tanked this game and I'm very disappointed with the loss, but I can't find it in myself to be disappointed with the season as a whole.

...And yes, I agree; we need to seriously upgrade the o-line.

I don't think anyone would have bet money that we would be going to the playoffs. We did way better then I or anyone I know thought, but that said I was very disappointed in todays performance

Chiefster
01-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't think anyone would have bet money that we would be going to the playoffs. We did way better then I or anyone I know thought, but that said I was very disappointed in todays performance

You and me both; Cassel looked human today because he had no time to survey field and deliver the ball IMO. I thought the interceptions were very uncharacteristic of him.

Hayvern
01-03-2011, 12:14 AM
There is no doubt the Ravens are going to be watching this game and they will come out trying to get pressure on Cassel.

For once I am in agreement with Fig. This offensive line really has not faced a lot of great defensive lines this season, but they will be facing one next week.

The team better show up, or it will be a long day.

josh1971
01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Why not give it a try many people said Hali would not cut it as a OLB.

I remember those people saying that. Heck- if they want to give Gilberry a shot at OLB, I certainly won't complain, but I'd still like to see us go for a good pass rusher in free agency or the draft.

Didn't we draft someone last year who was supposed to be a good pass rusher? I think he ended up hurt- can't remember the name and too lazy to look right now. :D

matthewschiefs
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
I remember those people saying that. Heck- if they want to give Gilberry a shot at OLB, I certainly won't complain, but I'd still like to see us go for a good pass rusher in free agency or the draft.

Didn't we draft someone last year who was supposed to be a good pass rusher? I think he ended up hurt- can't remember the name and too lazy to look right now. :D

As would I. That to me is the number 1 thing this offseason followed closely by o line And then WR. Those are our 3 biggest holes for this team IMO. hopefully we get them worked out.

Hayvern
01-03-2011, 12:27 AM

Gotta give him some time. Everyone said the same about Dorsey too, but he has been coming into his own. I am willing to give him some time to develop.

Gilberry is a good player, but he seems pretty one dimensional. Hopefully his game will come together a little better.

As for Hali, it was an adjustment going to linebacker I am sure, but his real job in passing situations has not changed all that much from Defensive End. Gilberry could do it as well but he would have to do what Hali did and lose some weight.

josh1971
01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Gotta give him some time. Everyone said the same about Dorsey too, but he has been coming into his own. I am willing to give him some time to develop.

Gilberry is a good player, but he seems pretty one dimensional. Hopefully his game will come together a little better.

As for Hali, it was an adjustment going to linebacker I am sure, but his real job in passing situations has not changed all that much from Defensive End. Gilberry could do it as well but he would have to do what Hali did and lose some weight.

Wait- give who time?

And yessir- if Gilberry dropped some weight, I'm sure he could make an honest run at OLB.

If Hali's game is just coming together with this year's performance, QBs better beware next year.

Hayvern
01-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Wait- give who time?

And yessir- if Gilberry dropped some weight, I'm sure he could make an honest run at OLB.

If Hali's game is just coming together with this year's performance, QBs better beware next year.

Bah, I assumed you were talking about Tyson Jackson, where you not?

I tell you one thing I can agree with, the Barry Richardson expirement is over! That guy HAS to go! All the penalties he has had this year, the pushing the coaches and then the number of times he just waved lineman through the line? Almost makes me wish we had Sackintosh back.

brdempsey69
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I will say this. The Chiefs O-Line did play better than expected this year. Notwithstanding, it is a major area of need for the Chiefs this coming off-season. The top-rated O-Lineman in the coming 2011 draft is Mississippi State's OT Derek Sherrod -- and there is a chance (albeit a slim one) that he could fall to the Chiefs on draft day -- and if he does, then he has to be the pick. In fact, it wouldn't break my heart any to see the Chiefs trade up a few slots for a reasonable cost to take him.

Seek
01-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I am all for cutting Brandon Albert right now. Yeah, that may be a bit critical but when your LT gets beat badly and he is watching his QB get killed with his hands on his hips. That is BAD. He completely quit doing his job, when his main job is to protect.

Never ever ever should an offensive lineman have his hands on his hips, watching a play. Okay I can understand getting beat but after about the 5th time, wouldn't you still have some competitive nature in you to try and prevent it instead of watching your QB get slammed to the ground.

I don't want even the quitter playing Guard. He is going to get another player who is trust him to do his job hurt.

chief31
01-03-2011, 05:29 PM
As would I. That to me is the number 1 thing this offseason followed closely by o line And then WR. Those are our 3 biggest holes for this team IMO. hopefully we get them worked out.

For me the O-line would be first on a list of needs.

Not only do we have some suspect positions there, but the ages are also a major factor.

Between those two factors, the five-position o-line should be our primary focus this off-season.

I will say this. The Chiefs O-Line did play better than expected this year. Notwithstanding, it is a major area of need for the Chiefs this coming off-season.

This. ^

I am not about to go bad-mouthing this o-line. But I think there is room for improvement there. And plenty of room for an injection of youth.

This O-line has had a few bad games.

But they have some extremely good games too.

Don't let it be too much of a shock to you, if they have a big game against The Ravens.

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM

I have taught you well my young Padawan. :D

2010chiefs
01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
O-line improvement is right. Can't forget that the Chiefs O-line has performed well against one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. I think we were fortunate this year to get where we're at because of our schedule. Next year will be different and the Chiefs need to prepare to play against a Raider D-Line every week. WR No.2 pick. GO CHIEFS!

Fastphilly
01-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Definately need to address the O=Line first..Yes we also need a #2 WR, but I believe we can shop for one in the off season...Maybe a Randy Moss?

wilqb16
01-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I agree I think we need to address the O-line. I also do not think Albert is good enough to be an LT. He is OK but he struggles against the elite DE's in pass protection. Our running game success I think has been more of a result of Charles being a beast than our O-line being great. No runningback on the roster (not named Jamaal Charles) average 4.0+ yards per carry. Jones only 3.7.

In pass protection, it has been hot and cold. I also don't know that Barry Richardson is the guy, and we are old in the middle of the line - which is our strength. I'd be happy to see us draft two OT's this draft.

Seek
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM

I think you be talking about Cameron Sheffield. Yes he got hurt making a tackle in pre-season.

chiefnut
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
here is my upgrade wishlist for the 2011 draft
NT Phil Taylor Baylor
LT Anthony Costonzo BC
RT Nate Soldier Colorado
C/OG Stefen Wisniewski PSU
OG/C Mike Pouncey Florida

if we can land more than one of these guys it would sure help big time

Ryfo18
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
here is my upgrade wishlist for the 2011 draft
NT Phil Taylor Baylor
LT Anthony Costonzo BC
RT Nate Soldier Colorado
C/OG Stefen Wisniewski PSU
OG/C Mike Pouncey Florida

if we can land more than one of these guys it would sure help big time

I like Wisniewski, but he has a first round price tag most likely and I don't see Pioli taking an interior lineman in the first round, just based off his past drafting tendencies.

Pouncey is interesting, but he's not his brother Maurkice. I was not impressed with him in the Outback Bowl at all.

I'm hoping a guy like Akeem Ayers or Von Miller will make it to us, but that may just be wishful thinking. Even a guy like Julio Jones might be possible, just noting how big of a drop Dez Bryant took last year in the draft.

chiefnut
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I like Wisniewski, but he has a first round price tag most likely and I don't see Pioli taking an interior lineman in the first round, just based off his past drafting tendencies.

Pouncey is interesting, but he's not his brother Maurkice. I was not impressed with him in the Outback Bowl at all.

I'm hoping a guy like Akeem Ayers or Von Miller will make it to us, but that may just be wishful thinking. Even a guy like Julio Jones might be possible, just noting how big of a drop Dez Bryant took last year in the draft.

Pouncey was playing center but was pulling and passing the guard on sweeps, he would make a great guard, and has played alot of guard. Wisniewiski has played alot of guard and some tackle, he was all big ten at center and guard....really add depth and versatility to the O line along w/pouncey

wilqb16
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Pouncey was playing center but was pulling and passing the guard on sweeps, he would make a great guard, and has played alot of guard. Wisniewiski has played alot of guard and some tackle, he was all big ten at center and guard....really add depth and versatility to the O line along w/pouncey

I say if we go after a lineman in the first round that we get a legitimate LT. We can then look at moving Albert to the inside or to RT. We can look at an RT or C in later rounds.

4everchiefsfan25
01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
This draft is going to be deep in the OT position. The top 10 guys in that position will all go in the top 3 rounds I believe atleast 5 of those guys are easily going to go in the first round. I really like Nate Solder he is huge 6'9 305 lbs but I very seriously doubt that he will be around when the Chiefs are going to be picking. I think Gabe Carimi from Wisconsin who is about 6'8 320 lbs might fall into the Chiefs lap which would be great but there are a lot of good interior OL and DL coming out of this draft so I hope we can come away with a couple.

brdempsey69
01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I am all for cutting Brandon Albert right now. Yeah, that may be a bit critical but when your LT gets beat badly and he is watching his QB get killed with his hands on his hips. That is BAD. He completely quit doing his job, when his main job is to protect.

Never ever ever should an offensive lineman have his hands on his hips, watching a play. Okay I can understand getting beat but after about the 5th time, wouldn't you still have some competitive nature in you to try and prevent it instead of watching your QB get slammed to the ground.

I don't want even the quitter playing Guard. He is going to get another player who is trust him to do his job hurt.

I won't go that far regarding Albert, but I will say this. When he was drafted, I thought that he was going to be Will Shields replacement at Guard as Albert was a standout Guard in college. I was surprised when I heard later that they were going to put him at LT and I thought it was a mistake then, and I still think it is a mistake now. He was never a full-time starter at LT in college and there was a reason for it, which is what you're seeing now.

I won't rag on Albert as it not his fault that this has happened to him. He never asked to be put out at LT. He was told to go there and that's where he's been playing. He's OK to a point, but the better DE's in the league beat him.

figcrostic
01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I won't go that far regarding Albert, but I will say this. When he was drafted, I thought that he was going to be Will Shields replacement at Guard as Albert was a standout Guard in college. I was surprised when I heard later that they were going to put him at LT and I thought it was a mistake then, and I still think it is a mistake now. He was never a full-time starter at LT in college and there was a reason for it, which is what you're seeing now.

I won't rag on Albert as it not his fault that this has happened to him. He never asked to be put out at LT. He was told to go there and that's where he's been playing. He's OK to a point, but the better DE's in the league beat him.

I also do not subscribe to cutting Albert I think he would make a fine guard and I don't think he's a quitter he's just not suited for LT.

OPLookn
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I want Pouncey so badly it hurts. I'm pained to say that, but pleased at the same time because we've made so much improvement. We'll be picking in the 22nd spot at the very least while hoping we're picking in the 32nd spot!

The interesting thing is that if you do a google search on any 2011 nfl mock draft everyone has us picking a DE which makes me scratch my head. Because last year at this time everyone was calling for Dorsey's head so they're going to give Tyson Jackson another year or two to develop. The only other site I've saw has us picking a WR. Johnathon Baldwin from Pittsburg (6-5, 230). They have Sherrod going to Indy which isn't gonna happen now.

I love that we're talking about the draft and still trying to figure out where we're gonna be instead of just here's our spot and here's the people we think are gonna be available.

4everchiefsfan25
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I want Pouncey so badly it hurts. I'm pained to say that, but pleased at the same time because we've made so much improvement. We'll be picking in the 22nd spot at the very least while hoping we're picking in the 32nd spot!

The interesting thing is that if you do a google search on any 2011 nfl mock draft everyone has us picking a DE which makes me scratch my head. Because last year at this time everyone was calling for Dorsey's head so they're going to give Tyson Jackson another year or two to develop. The only other site I've saw has us picking a WR. Johnathon Baldwin from Pittsburg (6-5, 230). They have Sherrod going to Indy which isn't gonna happen now.

I love that we're talking about the draft and still trying to figure out where we're gonna be instead of just here's our spot and here's the people we think are gonna be available.
I agree I found myself looking at all the highlight films of all the top 15 players on each position :lol:

wilqb16
01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't think the mocks - particularly these early ones are right.

I have been thinking about this team and think we have a lot more holes to fill than our record indicates. I think - in spite of Whitlock's assessment - that we are very well coached. We beat all of the teams we were supposed to beat and reached and won a couple we probably shouldn't have won.

I think we need the following help:

WR
LT
RT
C
NT
OLB
QB (backup)

Granted not all of this can or needs to be done in the draft, but it is a lot if you think about it.

kcnative
01-05-2011, 03:24 PM
While the difference from last year to this is great, the line definitely needs improvement. They started out great...7 sacks in the first 6 games or something like that...but allowed more as the year went on, and allowed like 14 in the last 4 games.

Also, our short yardage run game sucks, to be blunt. I thought Jones was brought in to help shore that up but we've been forced to rely on smoke and mirrors to convert short yardage downs. Of course, their lack of size helps in sweeps and screens, which is what Charles excels at, so there is a tradeoff...but I would like to see them get some guys who are good at both (Though Willie Roafs don't come around very often).

I think we can get away with keeping most but we have GOT to replace RT and at the very least get some guys in here to groom (very quickly) for the future at guard and center.