PDA

View Full Version : Cassel under pressure.

chief31
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
So The Raiders, made it tough for Matt Cassel by getting alot of pressure on him, and I am hearing about how The Ravens are even better about it.

Just thought that some clarity would help here....

There is one team in The NFL that had more sacks in the 2010 season than The Oakland Raiders. And it wasn't The Ravens.

Not surprisingly, it was The Pittsburgh Steelers.

Now...

Can anyone tell me what The Broncos, The Buccaneers, and The Jaguars have in common?

If you guessed that they were the only teams in The NFL to get fewer sacks from their defense, than The Baltimore Ravens, then you win.

NFL Stats: by Team Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKED&d-447263-n=1)

In fact, The Baltimore Ravens ranked 21st in pass defense in the 2010 season.

NFL Stats: by Team Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&d-447263-o=1&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS&d-447263-n=1)

Yes...they were the 10th overall defense in The NFL. And they are extremely tough against the run (5th).

But I don't want to hear anymore of this nonsense of how they are so good at getting after the passer.

Drunker Hillbilly
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
The one thing they do and do well is blitz! That in turn creates pressure on the QB. Not necessarily in a sack position but pressure as far as moving the O line backwards which right away leads to flushing the QB from the pocket. One other thing that will be key in this game......... If the left side of our line can't stop Terrel Suggs, Cassel will be running for his life just like he was yesterday and our playoff hopes will be in certain jeopardy.

matthewschiefs
01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
This is not the same Ravens D that they once were. This is an ageing Ravens D. This is most likely there last year in the window to win anther superbowl. They are soon going to be rebuilding on the defensive side of the football. It might turn out to be a good thing that we end up faceing them.

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Nice research chief31! :bananen_smilies046:

chief31
01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
The one thing they do and do well is blitz! That in turn creates pressure on the QB. Not necessarily in a sack position but pressure as far as moving the O line backwards which right away leads to flushing the QB from the pocket. One other thing that will be key in this game......... If the left side of our line can't stop Terrel Suggs, Cassel will be running for his life just like he was yesterday and our playoff hopes will be in certain jeopardy.

21st in Pass Defense and 4th from the bottom in Sacks.

The Ravens pass rush is not comparable to that of The Raiders.

Maybe we come out and fail to protect. It's possible.

But going from trying to slow the second best pass rush in The NFL to trying to stop the 4th worst is not as scary as you make it sound.

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM

But going from trying to slow the second best pass rush in The NFL to trying to stop the 4th worst is not as scary as you make it sound.

I was going to give you rep for this but I've "...given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours". :bananen_smilies046:

chief31
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I was going to give you rep for this but I've "...given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours". :bananen_smilies046:
:lol:

It's all good.

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 06:53 PM

It's all good.

:bananen_smilies046:

SIC J
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Any team that puts as much pressure on a QB as the Raiders did on Cassel, the QB is going to suck. There were so many plays where the O-line barely even put a hand on the Raider player and gave him a free shot.

Simply put, give Cassel a lil time to throw and the Chiefs can win.

Hayvern
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
So The Raiders, made it tough for Matt Cassel by getting alot of pressure on him, and I am hearing about how The Ravens are even better about it.

There is one team in The NFL that had more sacks in the 2010 season than The Oakland Raiders. And it wasn't The Ravens.

Now...

Can anyone tell me what The Broncos, The Buccaneers, and The Jaguars have in common?

If you guessed that they were the only teams in The NFL to get fewer sacks from their defense, than The Baltimore Ravens, then you win.

NFL Stats: by Team Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKED&d-447263-n=1)

NFL Stats: by Team Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&d-447263-o=1&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS&d-447263-n=1)

Yes...they were the 10th overall defense in The NFL. And they are extremely tough against the run (5th).

But I don't want to hear anymore of this nonsense of how they are so good at getting after the passer.

I posted the same thing in another thread. The Ravens might have a good pass rush that does not equate to sacks, but usually those two go hand in hand.

The one thing about the Ravens is that they are much like what we faced with Houston. Not so good against the pass, but really good against the run. If the Raven's can shut down our run, then it will come down to whether Cassel, Bowe and Moeaki have what it takes to win this game.

Therein lies the rub. I am not convinced that they do, but we are going to find out.

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Any team that puts as much pressure on a QB as the Raiders did on Cassel, the QB is going to suck. There were so many plays where the O-line barely even put a hand on the Raider player and gave him a free shot.

Simply put, give Cassel a lil time to throw and the Chiefs can win.

Agreed! The O-line really under performed IMO.

chief31
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I posted the same thing in another thread.

Sorry about that.

I probably haven't gotten to that post yet. Or I just ignored the post because I saw who posted it. :lol:

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry about that.

I probably haven't gotten to that post yet. Or I just ignored the post because I saw who posted it. :lol:

Drunker Hillbilly
01-03-2011, 07:52 PM

My point was that their blitz package which is used often may not equate to a ton of sacks but it certainly flushes the QB out of the pocket. Watch video on them. If our O line plays anything like it did Sunday, regardless of the Ravens position in the defensive ranks, the fact that they push the O line backwards to disrupt the QB will be in full effect and will positively affect our offense. IMO when Cassel is given time in the pocket he can be as good as anyone but when he is on the move his accuracy struggles, not to mention the decision making. (comes with the territory most of the time with a mobile QB).

matthewschiefs
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Agreed! The O-line really under performed IMO.

You mean the O line was at the game?

honda522
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Before the Raiders games Cassel was one of the least sacked quarterbacks in the league. I don't think one game in 16 means change on that, the line was having a terrible day and I don't think it helped that Cassel was slammed to the ground on a dirty cheap shot by the Raiders..

Chiefster
01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
You mean the O line was at the game?

I'm not sure they even got outta bed yesterday.

Lazeye
01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Whos not to say that Haley wantd us to allow all that pressure. Ravens will really use the Raiders game tape to see how they applied their pressure and if it was all a ploy to get them geered in a certain direction and we know about it then well it could very well open up some lanes and confuse BAL. Ok I understand you all are like wtf but it could be partly true in some ways. The game really didnt mean much in terms of the season so I can see our coach using it as a tool. If Matt is not in there then the meaning of this all would not be, it has to look real for the ravens to consider it. Haley has said before that some things you do to setup other things to happen, this could be that misdirection.

matthewschiefs
01-04-2011, 12:06 AM

If I were Todd Haley I would fine them for skipping a game.

tornadospotter
01-04-2011, 12:12 AM

If I were Todd Haley I would fine them for skipping a game.
I do not get paid when I do not show up to my job and work. :smile

wilqb16
01-04-2011, 11:16 AM
As to the title of this thread - Cassel under pressure - I wanted to make a comment about Cassel's mechanics.

He is a long-strider and he needs to learn to compact his throwing motion to get the ball off, as opposed to falling away, when the O-line is being pushing into his personal space. Tom Brady is very good at this. He has done this a few times during the season and multiple times in the Raider game. The result it that his accuracy suffers slightly. As a result several passes (still quite catchable balls, in many cases) were a step behind instead of right in stride.

I think this should be a point of emphasis in his off-season work. It is correctable and I think working on it will help him to be a better QB.

matthewschiefs
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM

nor do I. I wish I could I would do it daily :lol:

Canada
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I do not get paid when I do not show up to my job and work. :smileI do!! :p

toyotapower
01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
we have a good group of players who can exploit an agressive defense. Dwayne bowe is great after the catch, dexter mcluster is in my opinion a huge asset that we haven't used enough, and jamaal charles has a knack for getting to the second level.

chiefnut
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
flacco & cassell are virtually the same stat wise w/flacco taking a few more sacks and hits......that sounds like good news

Hayvern
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Whos not to say that Haley wantd us to allow all that pressure. Ravens will really use the Raiders game tape to see how they applied their pressure and if it was all a ploy to get them geered in a certain direction and we know about it then well it could very well open up some lanes and confuse BAL. Ok I understand you all are like wtf but it could be partly true in some ways. The game really didnt mean much in terms of the season so I can see our coach using it as a tool. If Matt is not in there then the meaning of this all would not be, it has to look real for the ravens to consider it. Haley has said before that some things you do to setup other things to happen, this could be that misdirection.

Yeah, that would be pretty dumb. Chancing getting your starting quarterback injured by taking a pounding all day is not a good strategy for preparing for the Ravens.

Chiefster
01-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Nope me either; in fact if I were to perform my job duties as eneptly as they performed theirs I would have been fired.

dugand43
01-04-2011, 05:05 PM
From a Steelers fan who is used to, and sick of, these guys. If you get to Flacco, you win. He's definitely flappable. Oher's health is definitely something to watch out for. Chiefs have a better run game and Ravens have a better run defense. It will come down to the DL/LB vs. Ravens OL and Flacco. Good Luck, and, pending a win and a Colts loss, see ya in round 2!

4everchiefsfan25
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks, and I think our D will beable to get to Flacco a lot because we have shown even tho we really only have one pass rusher there is not too many OT that can stop him no matter what we seen that last Sunday against Oakland. Also once Hali gets that first sack Arrowhead is gonna be rocking I cant wait.

Canada
01-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks, and I think our D will beable to get to Flacco a lot because we have shown even tho we really only have one pass rusher there is not too many OT that can stop him no matter what we seen that last Sunday against Oakland. Also once Hali gets that first sack Arrowhead is gonna be rocking I cant wait.

Gilberry should get in there for 1 or 2!!

4everchiefsfan25
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Gilberry should get in there for 1 or 2!!
Ya no doubt maybe he can get in there for the hat trick

figcrostic
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Now...

Yes sir see my thread The Raiders might just be our kryptonite - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16218)