PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Charles a joke?? Really???

4everchiefsfan25
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I have been listening to local sports talk and Nick Wright has been on the radio talking about how on the Ravens sports talk they have been saying that Jamaal Charles is a joke and that he has faced nothing but weak defenses, and when he faces the Ravens defense they are going to shut them down. I just dont see how they figure Charles is a joke, even if someone played the worst defense in the NFL 16 times it is going to still be hard for them to average 6.6 yards a carry for the whole season. I hope we unleash Jamaal Charles Sunday.:chiefs:

josh1971
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Yep- I'd love to see him rip off a bunch of big 20+ yard runs.

KristofLaw
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
That's not cool man.

5oclock_charlie
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
I have been listening to local sports talk and Nick Wright has been on the radio talking about how on the Ravens sports talk they have been saying that Jamaal Charles is a joke and that he has faced nothing but weak defenses, and when he faces the Ravens defense they are going to shut them down.

Being a Ravens fan, I don't know who Nick Wright is, but why would you put stock in any radio talk, especially second-hand radio talk? Ravens fans who actually know something about football (the majority, IMO), consider Charles to be a slightly slower Chris Johnson type runner, and are very concerned because of what Johnson did the last time the Ravens played the Titans.

And wouldn't KC fans want Charles to rip off 20+ yard runs even if talk radio wanted to nominate him for a Nobel prize?

kcnative
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm going to be very upset if Charles doesn't get the VAST majority of the carries this weekend.

I understand splitting carries during the season, even if I still think that Charles should have gotten more than he did...but there is absolutely no reason for him to not get 25+ carries, unless we pull a DEN game and get down by a ridiculous amount early.

The only time Jones should be in there is for breathers and short yardage. He's tailed off, as expected, as the season has progressed and just doesn't have anything left at this point in the season.

Hayvern
01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm going to be very upset if Charles doesn't get the VAST majority of the carries this weekend.

I understand splitting carries during the season, even if I still think that Charles should have gotten more than he did...but there is absolutely no reason for him to not get 25+ carries, unless we pull a DEN game and get down by a ridiculous amount early.

The only time Jones should be in there is for breathers and short yardage. He's tailed off, as expected, as the season has progressed and just doesn't have anything left at this point in the season.

Now, why would we want to get away from a game plan that has worked for us all season? Why would you all of a sudden start wearing out Charles in the game by giving him so many carries and not include another guy that has helped that along?

If you do that, then you make the team even more one dimensional. Additionally, you wear down Charles to the point that the defense can catch up to him.

Keep pounding the rock the way we have. Jones is the bruiser that wears out the defense and allows the offensive line to get in and attack and open holes that Charles' speed can take advantage of.

Look at it in baseball terms, Jones is the set up guy, while Charles is the closer. It is a brilliant game plan and one we should not get away from.

Ryfo18
01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Now, why would we want to get away from a game plan that has worked for us all season? Why would you all of a sudden start wearing out Charles in the game by giving him so many carries and not include another guy that has helped that along?

If you do that, then you make the team even more one dimensional. Additionally, you wear down Charles to the point that the defense can catch up to him.

Keep pounding the rock the way we have. Jones is the bruiser that wears out the defense and allows the offensive line to get in and attack and open holes that Charles' speed can take advantage of.

Look at it in baseball terms, Jones is the set up guy, while Charles is the closer. It is a brilliant game plan and one we should not get away from.

Can't get on this page. Haley saved Charles to some extent to keep him healthy. Now it's time to unleash him, in a game that is the most important game of the year. There is nothing to lose by doing so.

Hayvern
01-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Can't get on this page. Haley saved Charles to some extent to keep him healthy. Now it's time to unleash him, in a game that is the most important game of the year. There is nothing to lose by doing so.

Eh, difference of opinion, but I don't see Haley changing the game plan that has worked all season for this game.

kcnative
01-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Because Jones is averaging about half the yards per carry that Charles is lately. I understand the thinking but we don't have to save Charles anymore. Now it's do or die. Charles has proven he can handle 25 carries if needed, and perform exceptionally. Give the star the ball and watch him excel. I don't buy the "one-dimensional" argument because they don't really run the ball that much differently with one vs. the other.

I guess my question back to you would be, why give it to Jones when Charles is such a friggen stud? 6.4 ypc...IMO it's ludicrous to give it to anyone else.

What's the worst that could happen? He gets worn down and averages 5.5 for the game?

What's the best that could happen? He could single-handedly win the game for us. The more carries he gets, the better the chances are to rip off a long one.

JMO.

Lazeye
I guess I always thought that we split the carries so when we get to this part of the season JC is fresh and ready to run his A$$ off.

kcnative

Yep. All day long.

kcnative
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Eh, difference of opinion, but I don't see Haley changing the game plan that has worked all season for this game.

Haley has said himself though, that the playcalling doesn't really change for either back.

IMO, you give it to the more productive back. Like someone just said, I've thought all along that THIS is the reason they were "saving" him...so he is fresh and can tear it up in the post season.

Ryfo18
01-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Worth noting also that Jones has shown a tendency in the past to slow down at the end of the season. His ypc the last 4 games this year: 0.3 (SD), 2.8 (STL), (2.2) TEN, 1.7 (OAK). Considering that we're going against a Ravens defense that is solid between the tackles, I'm not counting on Thomas Jones to be effective. Charles early and often is going to set the offense up for more convertable 3rd and short situations.

chief31
01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Because Jones is averaging about half the yards per carry that Charles is lately. I understand the thinking but we don't have to save Charles anymore. Now it's do or die. Charles has proven he can handle 25 carries if needed, and perform exceptionally. Give the star the ball and watch him excel. I don't buy the "one-dimensional" argument because they don't really run the ball that much differently with one vs. the other.

I guess my question back to you would be, why give it to Jones when Charles is such a friggen stud? 6.4 ypc...IMO it's ludicrous to give it to anyone else.

What's the worst that could happen? He gets worn down and averages 5.5 for the game?

What's the best that could happen? He could single-handedly win the game for us. The more carries he gets, the better the chances are to rip off a long one.

JMO.

In all fairness, I think some of us are neglecting that Charles gets the carries that are not so predictable, while Jones gets the carries when it is an obvious running situation.

This will raise the average of Charles, and lower the average of Jones.

However, I fully agree that Charles should be "unleashed" now that we are in the playoffs.

Even last season, when he was asked to carry the load, his rushing average was at 5.9.

I think that Charles is our best option, no matter what type of running play we call.

Jones should still get some chances. But Charles needs to be the feature back in playoff games.

kcnative
01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
In all fairness, I think some of us are neglecting that Charles gets the carries that are not so predictable, while Jones gets the carries when it is an obvious running situation.

With all due respect, I disagree. Jones gets MANY more first down carries than Charles does...and KC is pretty good about mixing it up on first down this year, unless they're just tearing it up running the ball.

I WILL give you that Charles DOES get the runs on third down, when D's are more likely to play the pass...so he's able to get more yards in that regard, because KC does run the ball a lot on third and not-so-short.

I think overall we agree though...now that we are in do or die, GIVE HIM THE DAMN BALL!!! :smile

Canada
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I have been listening to local sports talk and Nick Wright has been on the radio talking about how on the Ravens sports talk they have been saying that Jamaal Charles is a joke and that he has faced nothing but weak defenses, and when he faces the Ravens defense they are going to shut them down. I just dont see how they figure Charles is a joke, even if someone played the worst defense in the NFL 16 times it is going to still be hard for them to average 6.6 yards a carry for the whole season. I hope we unleash Jamaal Charles Sunday.:chiefs:Sounds to me like they are scared of him

matthewschiefs
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM

This will raise the average of Charles, and lower the average of Jones.

However, I fully agree that Charles should be "unleashed" now that we are in the playoffs.

Even last season, when he was asked to carry the load, his rushing average was at 5.9.

I think that Charles is our best option, no matter what type of running play we call.

Jones should still get some chances. But Charles needs to be the feature back in playoff games.

Very True. Jones carries are also more up the middle then charles. Jones is a very nice guy to have on this team. I do think Charles is the better back now. But I do like haveing Jones on this team.

chief31
01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Very True. Jones carries are also more up the middle then charles. Jones is a very nice guy to have on this team. I do think Charles is the better back now. But I do like haveing Jones on this team.

Agreed. Jones has been great.

With all due respect, I disagree. Jones gets MANY more first down carries than Charles does...and KC is pretty good about mixing it up on first down this year, unless they're just tearing it up running the ball.

I WILL give you that Charles DOES get the runs on third down, when D's are more likely to play the pass...so he's able to get more yards in that regard, because KC does run the ball a lot on third and not-so-short.

I think overall we agree though...now that we are in do or die, GIVE HIM THE DAMN BALL!!! :smile

Keep in mind, when it has been 3rd and 1, or any very short yardage situation, for the majority of the season, who has been getting the football for those short yardage downs?

Jones' average is dropped by many short yardage carries, while Charles has the advantage of not getting his average dropped by them.

But you are definitely right. We agree that Charles should be our premier back this week.

hometeam
01-06-2011, 06:42 PM
If charles is a joke, what is jim brown? What about Eric Dickerson? Barry Sanders? The juice..

none of them, chris johnson, and DEFINATELY nobodyon the ravens accomplished what JC did this year.

Shows that this guy just really dont know Bo.

slc chief
01-06-2011, 08:00 PM
i hope he gets the ball 30+ times and crams it down there throats

kcnative
01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Keep in mind, when it has been 3rd and 1, or any very short yardage situation, for the majority of the season, who has been getting the football for those short yardage downs?

Jones' average is dropped by many short yardage carries, while Charles has the advantage of not getting his average dropped by them.

Good point.

And I don't mean to disparage Jones...he's definitely a quality back but he's getting long in the tooth and tends to not run as well later in the season as he does early on.

Sounds like most of us agree on Charles though.

matthewschiefs
01-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Good point.

And I don't mean to disparage Jones...he's definitely a quality back but he's getting long in the tooth and tends to not run as well later in the season as he does early on.

Sounds like most of us agree on Charles though.

He was for sure at his best at the start of the season. Haveing Jones did help to keep Charles fresher then he would have been. I hope that we have him back next year.

hometeam
01-06-2011, 09:24 PM
^ i think battle can replace him as short yardage and pound the ball back.

shadowman
01-07-2011, 02:00 AM
i agree we should unleash charles. There is no since wearing him out needlessly early in the playoffs hate to make it all the way to the big show and not have him

RAVENS DEN
01-07-2011, 02:17 AM
I have been listening to local sports talk and Nick Wright has been on the radio talking about how on the Ravens sports talk they have been saying that Jamaal Charles is a joke and that he has faced nothing but weak defenses, and when he faces the Ravens defense they are going to shut them down. I just dont see how they figure Charles is a joke, even if someone played the worst defense in the NFL 16 times it is going to still be hard for them to average 6.6 yards a carry for the whole season. I hope we unleash Jamaal Charles Sunday.:chiefs:

That is 100% untrue, i live in MD and am always listening to the sports radio channel ,and have never heard them say that Jamal Charles is a joke, but you guys did have an easy schedule but you dont make the schedules and from my understanding the RAVENS looked to have a pretty easy schedule next yr, assuming that the teams that played this yr play the same next yr.

Chiefster
01-07-2011, 05:03 AM

To them I say:...Meh!