PDA

View Full Version : LOVE you Cassel, but youre NOT QOTF!

iratefan
01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
youre not exciting to watch. you make too many under pressure mistakes. your legs arent fast enough to make big difference plays in pressure situations. Weis is NOT helping you at all with giving you ZERO options for the check down passes... but even if he did im not confident that with all of your courage and heart that you could even hit him with a solid on-the-numbers pass.

You showed a lot of heart being able to play right after your surgery and you played well - but you didnt play against any challenging teams. Love you but youre backup material.

Lots of roster stacking to do in the offseasons.

rodu
01-09-2011, 03:55 PM
The whole offense stunk this game, save for some runs in the first. You can't pin this all on one guy. If you could, Weiss is more deserving than anyone. No one was getting open, Bowe probably still sick, line was getting abused and we abandoned the run in the 2nd half

Coach
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Exactly. Weiss had Charles running well. Did Jamaal even play in the 2nd half? Biggest issue is that the Chiefs never had WR's open. We need a 2nd WR. If we had gotten Boldin last year, maybe a different outcome. When your best #2 receiver has ben on the roster for 5 days, you've got problems.

rodu
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
we came out passing and never went back to it

kilobytes
01-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I have never felt confident with Cassel. I was waiting to see what he would do against a good defense and he didn't do too well. I just don't know if he is the QBotF.

matthewschiefs
01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I sill like haveing Cassel at QB. Bowe no showed in this game. We should be more on him then Cassel.

figcrostic
01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
youre not exciting to watch. you make too many under pressure mistakes. your legs arent fast enough to make big difference plays in pressure situations. Weis is NOT helping you at all with giving you ZERO options for the check down passes... but even if he did im not confident that with all of your courage and heart that you could even hit him with a solid on-the-numbers pass.

You showed a lot of heart being able to play right after your surgery and you played well - but you didnt play against any challenging teams. Love you but youre backup material.

Nah you can't put all that on Cassel he played great until we were put in a situation where he absolutely had to throw the ball and then he had no one to throw to and our line is once again pathetic.....don't even get me started on that. Over the course of this season he played well, and even the first half of this game he played well, I think our OC Charlie "See you F'ers in Florida I'm out" Weiss had a horrible gameplan. I love being unpredictable but it all comes down to keep it simple stupid our running game is awesome and was killing them don't stop until the make you stop.

brdempsey69
01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Nah you can't put all that on Cassel he played great until we were put in a situation where he absolutely had to throw the ball and then he had no one to throw to and our line is once again pathetic.....don't even get me started on that. Over the course of this season he played well, and even the first half of this game he played well, I think our OC Charlie "See you F'ers in Florida I'm out" Weiss had a horrible gameplan. I love being unpredictable but it all comes down to keep it simple stupid our running game is awesome and was killing them don't stop until the make you stop.

I agree figcrostic, I can't pin this on Cassel. He can't throw out of a well, same as any other QB in the NFL. Time for you & I to lead the charge in lobbying for O-Lineman to be drafted. If what happened the last two weeks doesn't take the blinders off the Chiefs brass, as well as too many Chiefs fans, that the O-Line must be addressed and is the #1 priority, then they got their heads stuck in their arses, and this team will be going nowhere next year.

SIC J
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
You're blaming Cassel for not throwing the ball to WR's who were blanketed ALL game by a great Ravens defense? LOL

kilobytes
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
The o line was better than people thought it was. It needs to be addressed but our WR need to be just as much. I saw plenty of plays where Cassel had a TON of time. I wish we could watch the game from a video game camera perspective to see if the receivers were really covered or not.

iratefan
01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
sorry guys- i love you all as fellow chiefs fan, but read the post. im not BLAMING CASSEL for the LOSS today. im saying, sorry, but as much heart as you have, i dont think you are the QBotF because youre just not up to par on even the second level of QB's in the league, let alone the first tier. OC preparation was poor, and WR's were not open (you have to account for the fact that bowe will be covered all game being your only 'star' receiver). If you cant adjust as a QB and call the right audibles, read the right coverages the D is throwing you, youre NOT going to win big football games. thats all there is to it. Im saying that i respect and genuinely like cassel for what he is, but i do NOT believe he is a franchise QB. he will NOT do well unless hes surrounded with a universe full of good, well coached talent, and even then its not a sure thing.

PS - id make a whole new "I HATE YOUR GUTS WEIS" thread, but to be honest, WEIS had some decent playcalling the first half of the game. but turnovers/execution in this game KILLED US, and thats ALL on the players. sorry.

1KC_Fan
01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Matt needs to learn a lot. The whole team will take a great deal from this season. My concern is we will have a new oc with a new system again next year. We need d and o line help and a wr.

azchiefsfan
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Cassell was not great, but he had NO help at all after Weiss threw in the towel at the beginning of the second half.This game was the fat b@st@rd throwing a wrench in the gears on the way out. You Cassell haters can keep it up, but I know that next year we will have a good passing O line and he will shine. This is all on the fat b@st@rd. Good riddance!

figcrostic
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Cassell was not great, but he had NO help at all after Weiss threw in the towel at the beginning of the second half.This game was the fat b@st@rd throwing a wrench in the gears on the way out. You Cassell haters can keep it up, but I know that next year we will have a good passing O line and he will shine. This is all on the fat b@st@rd. Good riddance!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/01/14.jpg

Fastphilly
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I can't blame this on the O-line...There were plays when Cassel had time to throw the ball but nobody was open. Furthermore with no threats to get separation on deep routes Cassel found himself trying to find open receivers on shallow patterns and the Ravens did a good job clogging up the the short pass options..I'm still wondering why we abandoned Charles in the second half.

pbatrucker
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I agree figcrostic, I can't pin this on Cassel. He can't throw out of a well, same as any other QB in the NFL. Time for you & I to lead the charge in lobbying for O-Lineman to be drafted. If what happened the last two weeks doesn't take the blinders off the Chiefs brass, as well as too many Chiefs fans, that the O-Line must be addressed and is the #1 priority, then they got their heads stuck in their arses, and this team will be going nowhere next year.

Bigger, stronger, meaner, smarter OL that takes pride in making holes for RB's and protecting their QB. 280 lb OL just want work in todays NFL.

Seek
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll stick with Cassel. The offensive line and WR is where I would starting complaining first. Cassel looked good when he had protection. Cassel sucked when the offensive line got dominated.

Coincidence... I don't think so. Man look what happend to Croyle when the offensive line got domianted against San Diego.

I don't care who you put back at QB. No one will look good when you play a good defensive front.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I'll stick with Cassel. The offensive line and WR is where I would starting complaining first. Cassel looked good when he had protection. Cassel sucked when the offensive line got dominated.

Coincidence... I don't think so. Man look what happend to Croyle when the offensive line got domianted against San Diego.

I don't care who you put back at QB. No one will look good when you play a good defensive front.
i agree plus I mean IMO Cassel is still not a veteran this is his 2 year as a starter so he is still going to have his flaws but the more experience that he gets I believe the better he will be. Im not ready to give up on Cassel.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
...your legs arent fast enough to make big difference plays in pressure situations.
I noticed during the interview that he has short dwarf-like legs. Before, I thought he had chunky hips.

Weis is NOT helping you at all with giving you ZERO options for the check down passes... but even if he did im not confident that with all of your courage and heart that you could even hit him with a solid on-the-numbers pass.
Cassel has improved immensely over season, You need to watch more than one game to see that

You showed a lot of heart being able to play right after your surgery and you played well - but you didnt play against any challenging teams. Love you but youre backup material...
I totally agree. Every team needs a great back up and Cassel is that. Unfortunately we don't have anyone that he can be backup to. Many have pointed out that we had a very soft schedule so there was no challenge there.

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 11:33 AM
i agree plus I mean IMO Cassel is still not a veteran this is his 2 year as a starter so he is still going to have his flaws but the more experience that he gets I believe the better he will be. Im not ready to give up on Cassel.

Agree He was in a sense a rookie when it came to playoff games. If you struggle the first time it's not time to give up on being a good starter. He has to learn from it and get better because of it.

Lazeye
01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I am going to give Cassel next year and if he cannot improve with what he has then hes got to go.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I am going to give Cassel next year and if he cannot improve with what he has then hes got to go.
I think in a sense that is fair but dont judge him by win loss records because I think since our schedule will be tougher that we wont have a 10 win season next year. Not saying that we arent going to get better next year but we are going to be playing tougher games.

Fastphilly
01-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I can't see how alot of ppl want to throw him under the bus...Lets be real, he has a big possession receiver that can't get any separation and has had questionable hands all season. Chambers is getting shut down by any CB he's faced. We signed another receiver off the street earlier in the week..Sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. Lets get him some legit targets down the field then if he does'nt improve by then...Crucify him.:crucified:

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
So were all back on the Cassel Sucks bandwagon? lol

He did make a lot of bonehead decisions, however I feel the majority of the blame can be placed on coaching. Where and what was the gameplan???

SIC J
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
So were all back on the Cassel Sucks bandwagon? lol

He did make a lot of bonehead decisions, however I feel the majority of the blame can be placed on coaching. Where and what was the gameplan???

I wouldn't call them bonehead decisions. He was trying to make something out of nothing. WR's were simply not getting open so he had to force throws that weren't there the whole game. Even when he had plenty of time to throw the ball, WR's were still blanketed. It came to a point where he just HAD to throw the ball no matter what to try to make something happen.

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 03:03 PM

I am sold on Cassel more than I am sold on the Chief's ability to draft a quarterback and have any luck building him into a real talent, something we have never been any good at.

I think Cassel is the guy, I know we had growing pains with him, but he put an awesome season together without a lot of talent around him. Is he a Phillip Rivers? Not yet, but he did lead the team to a playoff berth and Rivers did not.

Who are you going to get to replace him anyway? Draft someone in the first round and wait for him to mature? Pick up someone in free agency? Do you think McNabb, Orton or Young would be a fit in Kansas City? Cassel actually played better than all three of those guys this season.

Let's get some more talent around him, get a speedy receiver to open the field, strengthen the offensive line to hold up against the better defenses, and think Cassel will do fine.

:beat_DeadHorse:

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I am sold on Cassel more than I am sold on the Chief's ability to draft a quarterback and have any luck building him into a real talent, something we have never been any good at.

I think Cassel is the guy, I know we had growing pains with him, but he put an awesome season together without a lot of talent around him. Is he a Phillip Rivers? Not yet, but he did lead the team to a playoff berth and Rivers did not.

Who are you going to get to replace him anyway? Draft someone in the first round and wait for him to mature? Pick up someone in free agency? Do you think McNabb, Orton or Young would be a fit in Kansas City? Cassel actually played better than all three of those guys this season.

Let's get some more talent around him, get a speedy receiver to open the field, strengthen the offensive line to hold up against the better defenses, and think Cassel will do fine.

This is the common assumption amongst a lot of people, that the Peyton Manning's and Tom Brady's of the world are just sitting there as Free Agents waiting for some team to give them a chance.

Peyton Manning is a Free agent this year though (there is a 0% chance that the Colts don't resign him).

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
This is the common assumption amongst a lot of people, that the Peyton Manning's and Tom Brady's of the world are just sitting there as Free Agents waiting for some team to give them a chance.

Peyton Manning is a Free agent this year though (there is a 0% chance that the Colts don't resign him).

Agreed, there are a lot of people out there that talk about trades too, like every team is out there just ready to let you have any player on their team for nothing.

The reality is this, no young quarterback is going to come into this team and do any better than Cassel. This offensive line is just not strong enough to protect them and will cause the ruination of any young QB that comes in here.

I think Cassel has shown this season that he can overcome adversity and be a part of a winning team. He was not that guy that can lead you back from being down a lot of points to a win, but I think he can be if he gets the right talent around him.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Agreed, there are a lot of people out there that talk about trades too, like every team is out there just ready to let you have any player on their team for nothing.

The reality is this, no young quarterback is going to come into this team and do any better than Cassel. This offensive line is just not strong enough to protect them and will cause the ruination of any young QB that comes in here.

I think Cassel has shown this season that he can overcome adversity and be a part of a winning team. He was not that guy that can lead you back from being down a lot of points to a win, but I think he can be if he gets the right talent around him.
I think when we get more talent around him and just more experience I think he will do just fine. I mean the guy has already shown that football is what he plays for not the paycheck I mean he is a competitor

SIC J
01-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Some people are just simply, DUMB. LOL. They are so quick to say, trade him or get rid of him because of a bad game or not having an MVP season. If you keep trading or getting rid of all your players every season, then the team will never be good. You have to "build" a team to become a Super Bowl contender. Some people just don't get that.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Some people are just simply, DUMB. LOL. They are so quick to say, trade him or get rid of him because of a bad game or not having an MVP season. If you keep trading or getting rid of all your players every season, then the team will never be good. You have to "build" a team to become a Super Bowl contender. Some people just don't get that.
Agreed because if you keep trading or getting rid of people then we would be just like the Faiders.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 04:22 PM

You just described the Washington Redskins.

chief31
01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I am thrilled to have Matt Cassel here as the QBOTF.

As long as we fix the offense around him, I fully expect Cassel to have a great career here.

Chiefster
01-10-2011, 09:45 PM
I am thrilled to have Matt Cassel here as the QBOTF.

As long as we fix the offense around him, I fully expect Cassel to have a great career here.

Absolutely THIS!

PhillyChief25
01-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Everyone seems to be assuming that the receivers were creating no separation and that's why Cassel appeared horrible. It's obvious that Cassel isn't intelligent enough to view all of his options. He looks at 1 guy the entire play and never looks off. Safeties and LBs can just pay attention to Cassel and just follow his eyes. Easy pick every time. The one thing I can't stand is when he sees a LB/DL coming 10 yds away and is out of the pocket but still gets sacked. There is no excuse for that.

Does anyone wonder why Cassel made no attempt to transfer once he realized that he had no chance of playing in college? If there's real talent or competitive nature at all, why wouldn't he transfer.

I am not saying that we need to draft a QB early bc we need help in other areas but I think we need to get a guy in the 3rd/4th round. I would like to take a chance on a guy like Dalton (I know, risky drafting a ginger but he does look legit) or Devlin from Delaware (may not last that long but who knows).

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Everyone seems to be assuming that the receivers were creating no separation and that's why Cassel appeared horrible. It's obvious that Cassel isn't intelligent enough to view all of his options. He looks at 1 guy the entire play and never looks off. Safeties and LBs can just pay attention to Cassel and just follow his eyes. Easy pick every time. The one thing I can't stand is when he sees a LB/DL coming 10 yds away and is out of the pocket but still gets sacked. There is no excuse for that.

Does anyone wonder why Cassel made no attempt to transfer once he realized that he had no chance of playing in college? If there's real talent or competitive nature at all, why wouldn't he transfer.

I am not saying that we need to draft a QB early bc we need help in other areas but I think we need to get a guy in the 3rd/4th round. I would like to take a chance on a guy like Dalton (I know, risky drafting a ginger but he does look legit) or Devlin from Delaware (may not last that long but who knows).

C'mon man. Cassel has shown the ability to be one of the better QBs in the league. If you're seriously ready to throw the towel in on Cassel for a guy like Dalton or Devlin you're talking at least 2 years before the Chiefs are relevant again. And if those guys don't pan out, we're screwed for the next 4 years.

Cassel does go through his progressions. He got happy feet on the one interception, which was his fault b/c he had all day. But if you think the answer is putting the ball into a rookie QB's hands that isn't even one of the top 5 NFL prospects at the QB position, then you might want to become a Cardinals fan.

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM

I don't think that's the case at all. I have seen him checkdown his WRS. Cassel was not good yesterday but that was his first playoff game. Pleanty of GREAT nfl qbs have stuggled in there first NFL playoff game. I am not down on him at all. He will learn from yesterday and be better because of it. MATT CASSEL IS OUR QB. And that's a good thing.

PhillyChief25
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM
C'mon man. Cassel has shown the ability to be one of the better QBs in the league. If you're seriously ready to throw the towel in on Cassel for a guy like Dalton or Devlin you're talking at least 2 years before the Chiefs are relevant again. And if those guys don't pan out, we're screwed for the next 4 years.

Cassel does go through his progressions. He got happy feet on the one interception, which was his fault b/c he had all day. But if you think the answer is putting the ball into a rookie QB's hands that isn't even one of the top 5 NFL prospects at the QB position, then you might want to become a Cardinals fan.

I wasn't expecting any rookie QB we draft to play in 2011. With Cassel in there and the way we run our O, it would seem to be an easy and slow transition for a young QB.

Also, with how far our team has progressed in the passed year, it changes the way we are assessing the team. While not being a Cassel fan, I always thought that he'd be fine to get us back to an average team. After watching the 2010 team, it is clear that our expectations need to be raised. When raising the expectations, you have to ask whether or not Cassel is the type of QB that can ever beat good teams in the playoffs.

Do people really think that Cassel is going to become a better QB next year? What skills is he going to develop and improve between 28 and 29 years old. The aspects of his game that bother me are things that 28 year old QBs should not be making. Birddogging receivers, refusing to throw balls away, and missing open receivers.

I'd rather have mediocre play from a young QB with potential than mediocre play from a QB with limited potential.

josh1971
01-10-2011, 10:59 PM

I wasn't aware that "exciting to watch"
was a requirement for QOTF.

The guy just led us to as many victories in 2010 as we had in 2007, 2008, and 2009 combined. He needs some more help, but he sure isn't a disappointment to me as our #1 guy.

Chiefster
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
I wasn't aware that "exciting to watch"
was a requirement for QOTF.

The guy just led us to as many victories in 2010 as we had in 2007, 2008, and 2009 combined. He needs some more help, but he sure isn't a disappointment to me as our #1 guy.

I couldn't agree more. It is difficult for me to see him as anything less then our QBOF.

SIC J
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
I wasn't expecting any rookie QB we draft to play in 2011. With Cassel in there and the way we run our O, it would seem to be an easy and slow transition for a young QB.

Also, with how far our team has progressed in the passed year, it changes the way we are assessing the team. While not being a Cassel fan, I always thought that he'd be fine to get us back to an average team. After watching the 2010 team, it is clear that our expectations need to be raised. When raising the expectations, you have to ask whether or not Cassel is the type of QB that can ever beat good teams in the playoffs.

Do people really think that Cassel is going to become a better QB next year? What skills is he going to develop and improve between 28 and 29 years old. The aspects of his game that bother me are things that 28 year old QBs should not be making. Birddogging receivers, refusing to throw balls away, and missing open receivers.

I'd rather have mediocre play from a young QB with potential than mediocre play from a QB with limited potential.

Brady is probably having the best season of his career this year................

Cassel was only sacked 26 times all season. With QBs having more than 450 pass attempts, he had the 6th least amount. I think its safe to say he did a pretty good job at getting rid of the ball.

You bring up his age, well MOST QBs at the age of 28 have started more than 3 seasons in their career as well.

YES he has more to learn but what QB doesn't?

Fastphilly
01-11-2011, 02:57 AM
I'll reserve judgement on Cassel until we get him some legit targets to throw to down field. I'm not expecting him to put up 4 TD passes against top tier defences, but at least move the chains and have some consistant drives on every other series would be adequate..When we sign a #2 WR off the streets five days before a wildcard game then how can anybody flame Cassel? Now when we get a deep threat opposite of Bowe and the rest of our offensive playmakers get another year to learn the system we will see what happens..

LlamaNinja
01-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I wont blame Cassel till next year when he has more to work with and is playing a lot stronger of teams. I mean he did excellent in some games but the few hard games that he had... he didnt win.

nigeriannightmare
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM

uhhhh its because of the woman he is now married to....she played volleyball at usc.

tornadospotter
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM
uhhhh its because of the woman he is now married to....she played volleyball at usc.
Well that explains it. Women always do something to mess up a man's plans! :D Just something about them.:lol: :maid:

SIC J
01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I wont blame Cassel till next year when he has more to work with and is playing a lot stronger of teams. I mean he did excellent in some games but the few hard games that he had... he didnt win.

What games are you talking about?

wilqb16
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I've been a huge Cassel supporter, but I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with his second half play on Sunday.

He locked in on receivers multiple times, which led to the three INTs.

I think he can still be the guy, but I think he needs help and needs to not be satisfied and work hard this offseason. Unfortunately, having his 3rd offensive coordinator in as many seasons is not exactly a recipe for success.

I hope we take a look at Josh McDaniels because I think he is someone who could bring the best out in Cassel.

bwilliams
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Cassel is a pretty good QB. If his skill players/OL are great, he'll win the majority of his games. If his skill players/OL are OK-to-good, and his opponents are lousy, he'll win the majority of his games.

But he's not going to win games on his arm. If he's the best player on our offense, our offense is doomed.

We just have to know that and build accordingly.

Boxermm187
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Pressure on Cassel and he chokes. Love the dude, but against top ranked defenses, he has A LOT of trouble. love hate relationship with him

Lazeye
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I agree with that. This is the first time I have ever said anything negative about Matt. His thinking is alittle slow for me. Plus he seems to always stare down his rec. and not able to adjust to a 2nd or 3rd route. maybe some of this will come in time who knows. I really like cassel, so dont think I am one of those ppl that think there is a Brady or manning sitting around in free agent land. At this point with Pioli I think he can draft a QB and get him developed in time to make a difference. I said wait til next year because I think we will finally address the o line and when we do that should give matt that extra time for his slow thinking problem and then he will be what we all hoped he would be our QOTF.

kckidd8870
01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Matt Cassel is not the answer either.Yes we do need a wide reciever or two, but will Matt be able to put the ball on the money.He holds the ball to long.You say he has no reciever.Like I said that may be true but they were some what open at time.You have to be open by 5 yards.He won't throw it into tight coverage like the good QB"S do.This is not college.There will be tight coverage.Oh, that's right he did'nt get to play in college.Don't get me wrong I like Matt.Guy's you will soon see he is not the QB of the future.He ducks his head when pressure is coming.He is not accurrate,unless your wide open.I would love to have Matt as a backup.He would be great for that but other than that.I don't think he will make it.Unless he gets in there and does some things alittle different.I don't think Kansas City will ever have a good QB.It's not in the cards.PLease prove me wrong Matt.I know you will get the rest of your bonus money and be back as the starter next year.

matthewschiefs
01-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Matt Cassel is not the answer either.Yes we do need a wide reciever or two, but will Matt be able to put the ball on the money.He holds the ball to long.You say he has no reciever.Like I said that may be true but they were some what open at time.You have to be open by 5 yards.He won't throw it into tight coverage like the good QB"S do.This is not college.There will be tight coverage.Oh, that's right he did'nt get to play in college.Don't get me wrong I like Matt.Guy's you will soon see he is not the QB of the future.He ducks his head when pressure is coming.He is not accurrate,unless your wide open.I would love to have Matt as a backup.He would be great for that but other than that.I don't think he will make it.Unless he gets in there and does some things alittle different.I don't think Kansas City will ever have a good QB.It's not in the cards.PLease prove me wrong Matt.I know you will get the rest of your bonus money and be back as the starter next year.

I think that if we see as big as a jump next season as we saw this season then there will be no question that he is the QBOTF. I like what I saw in him this year. I remain high on him despite how the season ended. We need help around him that will also make him look better.

chief31
01-12-2011, 05:53 PM
How is it any surprise that all the Cassel haters are lighting up the internet now that we are done?

The man had a great season, in only his second year here, and his third season starting, (with three different offenses, mind you.) but a couple of bad games has us ready to start over?

The worst part?

I am going to be hearing this for half a year, before he gets back out there again.

It just seems incredible that a guy takes his team from 4-12 cellar-dwellers, to 10-6 division champions and gets all this flack.

That, in one season, he goes from 16 TDs and 16 INTs, to 27 TDs and 7 INTs, and it is so obvious to some that he will never be able to get better at the position.

There are no numbers to bring in support of those opinions. The only thing that you can do is grab portions of the season, and exclude the rest.

You can take a couple of games at the start, and a few more at the end, of the season, and that's all you have.

He went from a QB Rating of 69.9 (well deserving of harsh criticism.) to 93.0.

And that's the guy who has no chance of ever being good enough?

SIC J
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
How is it any surprise that all the Cassel haters are lighting up the internet now that we are done?

Cuz he didn't win the Super Bowl!

4-12 to 10-6 is just flat out pathetic. :lol:

brdempsey69
01-12-2011, 08:41 PM

I never was a hater of Cassel, but I did have my concerns about him coming into the season. He made great progress & I'd like to see more from him of what we saw in the Seattle and St. Louis games -- but, of course, he did have the support of a great running game in both those games. The game at Denver was out of reach, but he did put up some good numbers & showed in all those games that when he has time to throw the ball, he can be very good.

The man had a great season, in only his second year here, and his third season starting, (with three different offenses, mind you.) but a couple of bad games has us ready to start over?

The Chiefs aren't going to replace him at this point, so no worries there. The main objective now is to bolster his support on the rest of the Offense.

The worst part?

I am going to be hearing this for half a year, before he gets back out there again.

Do like I do and disregard it. They are pushing panic buttons over one game where the receivers didn't get open, the O-Line didn't protect him well when the Ravens knew he had to pass, and horrible play calling that caused the game to get out of hand. People forget it was his first playoff start. There have been QB's that haven't won their 1st playoff start and gone on to win Super Bowls -- Bart Starr is one of them.

It just seems incredible that a guy takes his team from 4-12 cellar-dwellers, to 10-6 division champions and gets all this flack.

Agreed, it's too early to start throwing daggers at him.

That, in one season, he goes from 16 TDs and 16 INTs, to 27 TDs and 7 INTs, and it is so obvious to some that he will never be able to get better at the position.

There are no numbers to bring in support of those opinions. The only thing that you can do is grab portions of the season, and exclude the rest.

You can take a couple of games at the start, and a few more at the end, of the season, and that's all you have.

Precisely why I'd like to see them bring in players to bolster his support, especially the O-Line and WR positions. Going to be a much tougher schedule next year, so it's imperative they continue to build that Offense around him.

aaronchieffan
01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Cassel had a bad day sunday but he had many more good days lets keep him and watch him get even better.

figcrostic
01-13-2011, 12:07 AM

The worst part?

As I said months back Cassel has won me over the last two games he has done nothing to dissuade me I think he could have played better but I would not put the loss on him or even a majority of it on him. I was very sceptical of Cassel not because he's super sharp and crisp but because he has a desire to win he is willing to block for his guys and take big shots to win the game and I respect that and I think at times when he has people that help him he looks good.

Chiefster
01-13-2011, 01:03 AM
His stats and success this year both indicate that he is a very good quarterback, but, for some reason, I have never felt comfortable with him when watching the chiefs. I don't know what it is about him. Never was that way with Trent Green. I had all the confidence in the world in Trent!

I'm just the opposite. I had zero confidence in Trent Green until he showed me that he was more then up to the job in his third season. I actually have had confidence in Cassel from the onset for some reason.

Chiefster
01-13-2011, 01:08 AM

The worst part?

...Absolute ALL of THIS!

wilqb16
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I really hope that Haley doesn't call the plays, because if he does I think Cassel will regress.

I do think that we need to get more weapons, but I also think Matt does need to continue to improve. This season he was protected by the offensive playcalling at times, much like any young quarterback (remember Rivers first year with Marty at the helm).

He needs to get quicker at getting the ball out and still work on his accuracy when under pressure. However, I like his work ethic and think he can make this happen.

Chiefster
01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I really hope that Haley doesn't call the plays, because if he does I think Cassel will regress.

I do think that we need to get more weapons, but I also think Matt does need to continue to improve. This season he was protected by the offensive playcalling at times, much like any young quarterback (remember Rivers first year with Marty at the helm).

He needs to get quicker at getting the ball out and still work on his accuracy when under pressure. However, I like his work ethic and think he can make this happen.

Same here. I can appreciate his "blue collar" attitude and willingness to always learn and do what it takes to get better.

matthewschiefs
01-13-2011, 03:00 PM

That is the biggest thing I have with Cassel. He takes some sacks that he shouldn't. He did get better from 09 at that but it still needs a lot of work. Hopefully we see that cut out next season.

4everchiefsfan25
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Cassel needs to work on his foot work also

SIC J
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
That is the biggest thing I have with Cassel. He takes some sacks that he shouldn't. He did get better from 09 at that but it still needs a lot of work. Hopefully we see that cut out next season.

He was like 6th in sacks this season at I believe 26 with QB's with over 400 pass attempts. With a OL that MOST people on here said wasn't that great in pass protection. The best was the Manning brothers at 16. I think Cassel is doing a great job at getting rid of the ball. And of course EVERY QB takes a few sacks that people would say shouldn't have been including Manning!

Ryfo18
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
He was like 6th in sacks this season at I believe 26 with QB's with over 400 pass attempts. With a OL that MOST people on here said wasn't that great in pass protection. The best was the Manning brothers at 16. I think Cassel is doing a great job at getting rid of the ball. And of course EVERY QB takes a few sacks that people would say shouldn't have been including Manning!

If you ain't first you're last...(how some people tend to think apparently).

matthewschiefs
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM

I don't think that he is doing a great job at that but I do think he has gotten much better at knowing when it's time to throw the ball away. I hope he makes the jump to great next season.

People want to place to much blame on one single person sometimes. Like Berry on the Defense. When they say oh Berry gave up that TD. Well that's simply not the case. Football is a TEAM game it's hard to say oh this guy gave up the sack or td or that guy did. The fact is there are 10 other guys on the field that could have done there job better as well. Teams give up sacks and TDs not players.

wilqb16
01-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Cassel needs to work on his foot work also

I agree with this. He has a tendency to fall away from his throws to make space when he is under pressure. He needs to learn to shorten his stride instread.

When he throws falling away his accuracy really suffers.

Boxermm187
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
as soon as there is pressure.....3, 4, or 8 player rush. he tends to panic and rush things, causing mistakes. even when they are not even close to him, he just freaks. i just want to see him more calm in the pocket and throw the ball away, instead of forcing a ball down field or taking a sack. next year, this team is going to play against the stellar defensive teams in the NFL. I know Cassel can get it done, especially with a average defense, but a great or good defense....I don't know. Every year he has improve, so i believe we will see a great Matt Cassel than the good Matt Cassel we saw this season

Connie Jo
01-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Exactly. Weiss had Charles running well. Did Jamaal even play in the 2nd half? Biggest issue is that the Chiefs never had WR's open. We need a 2nd WR. If we had gotten Boldin last year, maybe a different outcome. When your best #2 receiver has ben on the roster for 5 days, you've got problems.

I totally agree with your opinion! Not one pass was thrown to Bowe, which was VERY disappointing. We MUST have both a running & passing game to do well against tough defenses in the playoffs, heck, during regular season too for that matter! Those who believe a good defense & rushing game will consistently win, make it through playoffs, & win Super Bowls...are mistaken! We MUST be complete/accurate in ALL aspects of the game to succeed & be consistent...defense, special teams, rushing, passing, all of it!

The Kansas City Chiefs lost the playoff game against the Ravens, including coaches. One player, in this case Cassel...did not lose the game. It was a poorly played game offensively all around. :(

kckidd8870
01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't know about iratefan but I'm talking about all year long.His passing game isnt that great.I think he would be good backup also.Not a full time starter.

Ryfo18
01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't know about iratefan but I'm talking about all year long.His passing game isnt that great.I think he would be good backup also.Not a full time starter.

Or a Pro Bowler...

Jrudi
01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Or a Pro Bowler...

Agreed!

I just posted a thread on this topic as well, letting all of the Cassel haters know that our QB situation could be worse. We could have someone like Derek Anderson, Kerry Collins, or David Garrard going into next season!

Cassel's TD/INT ratio this year was 27/7, I know the last two games we played bad, but if you did take those two games out I think he only had 4 INT's ALL SEASON. Soft schedule or not this is the NFL, every Dback you play against is the best at their position, and completely capable of picking off passes, otherwise they wouldn't be playing in the league.

Cassel may not be the flashy elite QB like a manning, or Brady, but he does have the characteristics and abilities to play like a Big Ben who admitted last week that he will probably never be a league MVP or win a passing title, but he is a leader who will help his team win championships; and I think that's exactly what the Chiefs ask of Cassel, and he is fully capable of this role.