PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 reasons why the Chiefs lost today

Coach
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2011/01/09/12/ravens-heap.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2011/01/09/12/ravens-heap.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)

Top 3 reasons why the Chiefs lost today:
1. Charlie Weiss - glad he's gone. his playcalling all year heas been headscratching at best. Good riddance Charlie! You run Jamaal CHarles one time in the 2nd half???? Once???

2. Turnovers - You don't win any game when you turn the ball over 5 times. Let along playoff games against Baltimore.

3. Wide Receivers. Only 2 pass attempts to the WR's all day. 2????, that's got to be a record. They got no seperation all day. #1 offseason need is WR.

It would be easy to blame this loss on the defense, but the Chiefs offense just kept putting the defense in so many bad situations.

What are your top 3 reasons that are KC(not Baltimore) related?

matthewschiefs
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
1 Turnovers- Kills you every time

2. WRs- were they on the field?

3. 3rd down defense. We had chances to stop drives couldn't do it.

TöpChiefsFan
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
1. Turnovers
2. Linebacker & Safety Play
3. WR

SIC J
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Ravens defense was awesome today. End of story.

slc chief
01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
dont forget to throw jon mcgraw in there he played horable today

jap1
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
1. Charlie Weis's playcalling.

2. Turnovers

3. Lack of a true starting safety opposite of Eric Berry. McGraw was beaten every time Todd Heap was wide open. He also blew his assignment on the first TD. If he stayed disciplined, he may have been able to make the tackle before he got into the endzone.

fairladyZ
01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
ya eric played lights out. Kendrick played decent.

McGraw whatever he was playing we need a replacement.
And DJ played like crap. First time all year he was just bad

Coach
01-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Agreed on Jon McGraw. I like rooting for that guy, but he's not a starter.

fairladyZ
01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
i don't even think he is a backup i think he is just a good special teamer and thats about it

jap1
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Agreed on Jon McGraw. I like rooting for that guy, but he's not a starter.

Id love to keep him as a backup and special teams captain. The guy plays his heart out, he just doesnt have the skills.

1KC_Fan
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
iid say wieseid say wiese. Id say line backers middle of the field was a joke. And id say turn overs

kilobytes
01-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Ravens defense was awesome today. End of story.

Not against the run at all. We became one dimensional for some reason and that made things a lot easier.

SIC J
01-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Not against the run at all. We became one dimensional for some reason and that made things a lot easier.

Yeah its called halftime and the Ravens made their adjustments to make the Chiefs change their offensive plan.

kilobytes
01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah its called halftime and the Ravens made their adjustments to make the Chiefs change their offensive plan.

It's called we didn't run with Charles but once in the 2nd half. Keep running until they stop it. They never did.

Coach
01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
It's called we didn't run with Charles but once in the 2nd half. Keep running until they stop it. They never did.It's puzzling that they woiuld only run JC once in the 2nd half.

I think there may be more to the Charlie Weis story that we don't know about.

SIC J
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
It's called we didn't run with Charles but once in the 2nd half. Keep running until they stop it. They never did.

You can't keep running the ball when you're losing.

rodu
01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
You can't keep running the ball when you're losing.

we were down by three at half, first series was throw throw throw

azchiefsfan
01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Actually, when you have the #1 run game, you do run when you're behind. It opens up the pass game. Reason 1-3: Weiss. Our offense was not directed by the Ravens defense. It was crippled by horrible play calling and the Ravens capitalized on it. Weiss literally threw in the towel. Now he deserves all the derision that can be thrown at the obese son of a b!tch.

Hayvern
01-09-2011, 08:28 PM
1. Charlie Weis's playcalling.

2. Turnovers

3. Lack of a true starting safety opposite of Eric Berry. McGraw was beaten every time Todd Heap was wide open. He also blew his assignment on the first TD. If he stayed disciplined, he may have been able to make the tackle before he got into the endzone.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!

Berry was responsible for covering Heap more than McGraw was. Heap ripped both of them apart today. Berry could not cover Heap anymore than McGraw could.

My top three reasons?

1. The safeties-Both safeties were beat all day today, rookie mistakes by Berry and the inability to play by McGraw killed us on Third down stops. Too many times we tried to blitz Berry on safety only to have him enter into the blitz too late, and not cover the tight end over the middle.

2. Wide Receivers - No team will go to the super bowl by running the ball only. We have to have a passing threat. Bowe is just not fast enough to get open, we need a number one receiver to stretch the field.

3. Relying on Charles to win it all. Charles is not a large enough back to be relied on completely to win the game for us. Especially against a big team like this. He is great if he does not get hit, but when he starts getting hit hard, he does not last long. Haley and Weiss had a great game plan all season, but that game plan completely went out the window today with repeatedly running Charles like so many of you wanted him to do. Well now you know why I was saying this cannot work. Yeah, he hit one home run today, but he did very little more than that.

azchiefsfan
01-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Berry played his heart and and didn't make any rookie mistakes. He was the only guy there on every play. Clean your glasses.

Hayvern
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Berry played his heart and and didn't make any rookie mistakes. He was the only guy there on every play. Clean your glasses.

HAHAHAH he was picked on all day and was beat over and over and over again. He was involved in every play because they directed the play to him every play.

Its not hard to be involved in every play when the offense is targeting you. His pass coverage most of the year has been less than it should have been. The Berry/Heap match was a mismatch from the start. Crennel moved McGraw over to cover Heap in the second half.

Berry made some good plays against the run today, but having him cover that big tight end led to a lot of third down conversions.

If you did not see that, then you are the one that needs your glasses cleaned. Berry was beat in pass coverage on a regular basis!

Berry's job is to cover the tight end in passing plays, Heap had 10 catches for 108 yards and was the Ravens' top receiver on the day. That tells me that Berry did NOT do his job well.

rodu
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
was McGraw playing safety today or was he being used as a safety/linebacker hybrid in certain packages? I noticed him in the box a lot

Ryfo18
01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
was McGraw playing safety today or was he being used as a safety/linebacker hybrid in certain packages? I noticed him in the box a lot

He was the guy responsible for Heap...

Hayvern
01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
He was the guy responsible for Heap...

IN the second half this was true, but Berry started out covering Heap and had to have help brought in.

azchiefsfan
01-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Bingo. ^ They didn't throw or run against Berry, so your assessment is nonsense Vern. But he did come in 20 yards across the field to make solo tackles and break up passes. You really gotta learn the game Vern, so you don't sound so foolish.

azchiefsfan
01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Heap didn't make 1 reception against Berry. Jeez you're really reaching Vern. Not sounding very football knowledgeable.

Ryfo18
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah, Berry played a hell of a game. I'm not sure where you saw Berry blowing coverage on Heap.

Bike
01-09-2011, 08:53 PM
1. Poor offensive play-calling.
2. Poor offensive play-calling.
3. Worn out defense due to 1 and 2 above.

Fastphilly
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Berry made some excellent run stops and did come across the field to stop a crossing pattern..Berry played great..

My Three reasons:
Completely abandoning the run early on in the second half.

No deep threat WR. That leaves a luxury for the Ravens secondary to have their safties play anywhere on the field

The unability to find mismatches on hot routes..KC was unable to get our fast players (McCluster and Charles) in space against slower defenders on check downs.

Hayvern
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Bingo. ^ They didn't throw or run against Berry, so your assessment is nonsense Vern. But he did come in 20 yards across the field to make solo tackles and break up passes. You really gotta learn the game Vern, so you don't sound so foolish.

Wow, OK, I must have been watching a different game than you, but I was watching a game with a buddy of mine and he voiced the same exact thing I was saying.

Just because you guys wanted him to be good, did not mean he was good. He did play well against the run no doubt about that, but the first five receptions Heap had in the game was some sort of blown coverage.

It has been Berry's knock all season guys, his inability to cover the elite Tight Ends in the league.

Berry does play Strong Safety correct? What is the main player of coverage for a strong safety in a passing down? Oh yeah, that would be the tight end. Who plays Tight End for the Ravens?

I am not saying that Berry is not a good player, but today he did not play well in passing coverage at least in terms of what traditional strong safety coverages are supposed to be.

Ryfo18
01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
The Chiefs played zone all first half, and put McGraw on Heap in the 2nd. So saying Berry was responsible for Heap in the first half is not true at all.

I'm still trying to think of one time where Heap was Berry's responsibility and I can only think of once on a well thrown ball by Flacco right where Berry couldn't get it. But most of Heap's catches in the first half came on 3rd down right in the middle of the field.

I recall one pass break up he had on Heap, and another where he laid out and got a hand in to break up a pass. I thought he played a hell of a game though, and the announcers continued to talk about how well he was playing. The people who didn't want to draft Berry this year will continue to find little things to pick on him for (or put blame on him for things he's not responsible for), but he's becoming a solid strong safety and we're gonna be glad we have him for years to come.

Ryfo18
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow, OK, I must have been watching a different game than you, but I was watching a game with a buddy of mine and he voiced the same exact thing I was saying.

Just because you guys wanted him to be good, did not mean he was good. He did play well against the run no doubt about that, but the first five receptions Heap had in the game was some sort of blown coverage.

It has been Berry's knock all season guys, his inability to cover the elite Tight Ends in the league.

Berry does play Strong Safety correct? What is the main player of coverage for a strong safety in a passing down? Oh yeah, that would be the tight end. Who plays Tight End for the Ravens?

I am not saying that Berry is not a good player, but today he did not play well in passing coverage at least in terms of what traditional strong safety coverages are supposed to be.

Can you define what a traditional strong safety coverage is when the team is playing zone?

Fastphilly
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Vern, I'm not sure you can pin this solely on Berry for Heaps success..In many cases pass coverage assignments on TE's fall on the linebacker as well..Unfortunately, we don't have a linebacker capable of covering a TE on drag/crossing routes.

Coach
01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
The Chiefs played zone all first half, and put McGraw on Heap in the 2nd. So saying Berry was responsible for Heap in the first half is not true at all.

I'm still trying to think of one time where Heap was Berry's responsibility and I can only think of once on a well thrown ball by Flacco right where Berry couldn't get it. But most of Heap's catches in the first half came on 3rd down right in the middle of the field.

I recall one pass break up he had on Heap, and another where he laid out and got a hand in to break up a pass. I thought he played a hell of a game though, and the announcers continued to talk about how well he was playing. The people who didn't want to draft Berry this year will continue to find little things to pick on him for (or put blame on him for things he's not responsible for), but he's becoming a solid strong safety and we're gonna be glad we have him for years to come.
This is what I saw. They tried to pick on Berry and Flowers early, then reassesed and started passing it over the middle against our slower LB's. If someone needs to be called to the carpet for todays' performance on defense it should be McGraw or Vrabel. Both of which won't be starting next year.

Bike
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
In a 3/4 defense, both safties and lbs must blitz to bear some pressure on the ol. If the 3 up-front dl are being pushed back, the whole scheme falls apart. I don't know. I'm starting to wonder if a 4/3 is better suited for the players we have..
That being said, we need an offense that can stay on the field long enough to give our D a breather.

kckidd8870
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm glad he is gone too.Most of the year his play calling was crap.I foregot what reporter said it,but at the beginning of the year.He said, all Wies like to do is run the ball and the short passing game.Charlie has no creativity.What the Chiefs did this year was on us,not that looser.By the way New England would have one those championships without him.People try to make it sem like Charlie was a big part of it.That might be what it seemed like,but New England just had loads of talent.Charlie you can go to florida and help them loose now.Don't like Florida any ways.He is just a dirty old man.Can't even take pride in his appearance.How can he run an offense.Who ever we get will be better than that.I also don't think Cassel will be the trigger man either.The tight coverages he won't ever fit in tight spaces.The only way he will pass it is if the guy is wide open.He is scared to pull the trigger.Good season for what we had.We do have a few holes to fill.Talk to you all next year.

Bike
01-09-2011, 09:52 PM
If Weiss is as terrible as most have voiced here, then who is at fault here? Weiss or the people that brought him here?

Coach
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
If Weiss is as terrible as most have voiced here, then who is at fault here? Weiss or the people that brought him here?
Good question. All I'm saying is that the playcalling was odd nearly all season. I liked the design of a lot of the plays, but the timing of the play calls was what I would question. Especially earlier in the season.

GoDJGoDJ
01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Was at the game today. My son and I traveled from NJ. Rough 2nd half for sure. I have to agree with the original poster's number one complaint. I'm not sure why we abandoned the run game at the start of the second half. It seemed as though Jamaal Charles got good chunks of yardage in the first half.

Matt Cassal had happy feet for much of the second half. I don't get that guy, sometimes he looks calm in the pocket, other times he seems to zone in on one receiver and if it's not open , he panics.

I love DJ, but he had a rough game. Berry was awesome IMO, and Dorsey played well too.

Here's to next year, and continued progress.

Bike
01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Good question. All I'm saying is that the playcalling was odd nearly all season. I liked the design of a lot of the plays, but the timing of the play calls was what I would question. Especially earlier in the season.
I agree with this. The ability to change a game plan on the fly to adapt to what the opposing defense was giving us was severly lacking under Weiss.

dietsch
01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Skimmed through everyone's posts, didn't catch anybody talking about this (my bad if it was talked about), but you don't win a playoff game committing five turnovers. Some of Cassell's interceptions were just sad to watch.

jap1
01-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Vern -

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Berry. We were in zone a lot in the first half. So Berry was either blitzing, covering the flat or the deep half, as a strong safety should.

From what I say, Heap did have a couple of catches on him, but it wasnt because of Berry not being there to make the play. They were well thrown passes that Berry got a hand on, but Heap just made a better play.

rodu
01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
It seems Berry's name was being mentioned on every other play in the first half

Xanathol
01-10-2011, 01:03 AM
This was an awesome year and its only going to get better, so keep things in perspective, please.

Reasons for the loss:

1. Playcalling... that 4th down toss to JC was bad, coming out and throwing 3 times in the 2nd was bad, stop calling runs were bad, etc, etc. Glad Charlie is gone.

2. Cassel. Man, stop holding the ball & staring guys down. The Ravens doubled Bowe most of the day - you have to be able to find someone else open somewhere, and quickly.

3. LB play in coverage... that was rough. If Berry was on Todd, they'd just cross someone else over the middle ( like on Rice's TD ).

Matt will get better and drafting a compliment to Bowe would help out. Get a coverage LB and a good OC... could be a nice season next year!

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Vern, I'm not sure you can pin this solely on Berry for Heaps success..In many cases pass coverage assignments on TE's fall on the linebacker as well..Unfortunately, we don't have a linebacker capable of covering a TE on drag/crossing routes.

I never pinned anything solely on Berry, I am just pointing out that he seemed out of position a lot of the plays. Look, I am talking pretty much solely about the first half of the game. After the half, the defense made some adjustments and Heap was covered better, but in the first half is when he ripped the defense apart.

When playing a zone, the safeties were playing pretty deep, maybe deeper than they should have been, especially when the linebackers were blitzing. You have to had it to Flacco that he read the blitz and put the pass right to the tight end over the middle.

Someone has to step up into coverage in that type of play to cover the middle of the field on defense, that is typically one of the two safeties, or both of them. Early on it seemed that it was Berry since he was always the one that was in the vacinity of the play, but never close enough to make a play on the ball.

In the second half, McGraw and Berry were both much closer on Heap and they were able to take him out of the game a little more, but still the guy had a big game.

Look, the word on Berry all season is his pass coverage, he is fast and is a tremendous talent, he will get better and I am sure he learned a lot this year. Let's learn from these issues and have a better defense next year.

Three7s
01-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Berry was never out of position, he just got beat on some plays in the first half by Heap. I was screaming to double cover Heap and we never did.

I thought our defense was actually decent, the offense just did them no favors at all. We need a WR and we need one NOW!

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Berry was never out of position, he just got beat on some plays in the first half by Heap. I was screaming to double cover Heap and we never did.

I thought our defense was actually decent, the offense just did them no favors at all. We need a WR and we need one NOW!

The defense came to play today. The offense and they got a few bad calls that kept them on the field longer wore them down.

WR is one of the biggest needs of the offseason. I stick by what I have said in the past D Bowe is not a REAL #1 WR in the NFL. He took today off. He just takes to many games off to be a number 1

OMGLadyGaga
01-10-2011, 02:46 AM
lol @ berry playing bad today. I played TE in college and it seems someone doesnt know what a SS is supposed to do. Newayz, that game hurt to watch i was happy we hung in there in the 1st half and thought we had a chance to steal one. Real happy with Berry, Charles, Hali, Flowers, Carr,...Bowe and Cassell had bad games but im still on thier side. Lets go next year SB champs!

Sn@keIze
01-10-2011, 04:46 AM
1). Maturaty/Experience. Weis leaving is an excuse. whether he stayed or left we our outcome would have been the same. Simply put, we just aren't as good as the Ravens. The Ravens are experienced and more well rounded as a team, no outstanding flashy players, no poor players. (of course with the exception of Lewis, Reed).

2). No WR core. Our WR core IS Dwane Bowe and Dwayne Bowe ONLY.

3). Our LBs.(need a nose tackle). Tamba and Berry/2ndary were freaks out there today. how did the score get run up? Im not satisfied with LBs and we need a significant NT.

rodu
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
I suppose in different systems linebackers do different things, but when I was in high school playing linebacker, in zone coverage, we were told take three hard crossovers to the outside then to gain depth in our drops, and jump the QB's first look. That sounds more useful than what our guys did yesterday; stand there

pojote
01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Here is what I watched from Chile (perhaps distance didn't help)

Momentum breaker: play calling on 4th down. I would handled the ball to Smith or let him lead or kick the FG. That would tie the game. Everything after was downhill.

Ravens D, specially secondary. OK we don't have an elite WR corps, but sometime they must get open. It just didn't happened. Secondary was always on their backs.

Safeties playing way back. They gave, like 20 yards of separation? too much, specially if our LB's except Hali were play bad.

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2011, 08:44 AM
My 3 reasons why we lost today

1. UP 7 to 3 with the ball at the 17 move into ravens territiry to have Branden albert false start on a 3rd and 1. Ravens go down and score a td.

2. 4th and inches we call a timeout to run a toss. WTF!

3. Inability to cover TE's. Is it me or do tightends seem to have big games against us.

Bike
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
The defense came to play today. The offense and they got a few bad calls that kept them on the field longer wore them down.

WR is one of the biggest needs of the offseason. I stick by what I have said in the past D Bowe is not a REAL #1 WR in the NFL. He took today off. He just takes to many games off to be a number 1
You really think Bowe took the day off? Our first home playoff game in years? I don't think so. He was blanketed all day. I do think he is not the best route runner in the world and may lack the ability to get open - but I doubt your assessment that he took the day off...

Daylights
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
The top reason.....

No adjustment to short dumpoff passes down the middle. The Ravens and Raiders did this repeatedly and yet we still refused to cover them. It amazed me how many plays yesterday I watched Rice run out of the back field on third down and catch a dump off pass, wide open, then run for a first down. Where was the coverage? What was Crennel looking at when this happened at least 10 times in the first quarter alone?

The turnovers came later, but I think our 3rd defense eventually led to the frustration that led to the rest of our problems...

Bike
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
It seems Berry's name was being mentioned on every other play in the first half
Berry is a rookie. He will be a star in this league. The national talk shows were praising his play yesterday...

Bike
01-10-2011, 09:37 AM
The top reason.....

No adjustment to short dumpoff passes down the middle. The Ravens and Raiders did this repeatedly and yet we still refused to cover them. It amazed me how many plays yesterday I watched Rice run out of the back field on third down and catch a dump off pass, wide open, then run for a first down. Where was the coverage? What was Crennel looking at when this happened at least 10 times in the first quarter alone?

The turnovers came later, but I think our 3rd defense eventually led to the frustration that led to the rest of our problems...
I agree with this. Could it be that Cam Cameron simply outcoached Romeo this day? It could happen, and I think it did.
Romeo was one of the reasons we were in this playoff game in the first place - but it is his first year with this team and he will only get better as he gets the players he wants...

bbacker51
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
1) They scored more than us:D
2) The Ravens are a good team and we are not at their level.........yet
3) Poor adjustments (if any) were made in the second half. It looked like a totally different team out there.

Coach
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
1). Maturaty/Experience. Weis leaving is an excuse. whether he stayed or left we our outcome would have been the same. Simply put, we just aren't as good as the Ravens. The Ravens are experienced and more well rounded as a team, no outstanding flashy players, no poor players. (of course with the exception of Lewis, Reed).

2). No WR core. Our WR core IS Dwane Bowe and Dwayne Bowe ONLY.

3). Our LBs.(need a nose tackle). Tamba and Berry/2ndary were freaks out there today. how did the score get run up? Im not satisfied with LBs and we need a significant NT.

Excellent first point, the #1 reason we got beat was because the ravens played way better than the chiefs.

I strongly believe the chiefs will address the WR position early and often this offseason. Pioli showed his hand when he signed WR Kevin Curtis on Wednesday and 4 days later he was our starting #2 WR in the biggest game the chiefs have played since he took over. It will be addressed.

One has to wonder if the Chiefs had been more aggressive in pursuing WR Boldin last offseason if there wouldn't have been a different outcome today. That guy made tough catches all day that kept moving re chains. He was a major difference maker for a #2 WR.

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Simple reason why we lost the game:

Playcalling and execution on Offense. Our defense stood no chance of holding up against Baltimore when they were on the field more than the refs themself. We possessed the ball for a measly 18 minutes, compared to their 42. COME ON MAN!

Cassel was terrible today, Weis called it quits and had his mind in Florida before halftime even got here.

How about this for a football strategy: Get your playmakers the damn ball (Bowe and Charles).

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Bowe took today off? Please. He was double covered. Shame on Weis for failing to move him around, get him in motion to create mismatches and free him up. This is not on Bowe at all.

It pains me to listen to people say things that are so far from the truth. After the first series I noticed that Bowe was getting coverage rolled to him. In case you don't believe me, here's a little blurb from Rotoworld:

"Coach Todd Haley admitted that it was a mistake not to involve Dwayne Bowe in Sunday's Wild Card round loss to the Ravens.
After catching 72 passes and 15 touchdowns in the regular season, Bowe didn't even get a target yesterday. Matt Cassel said that he was unable to throw in Bowe's direction because the Ravens had two defenders on him at all times. The two will have an entire offseason together to get on the same page as we look to next season."

If you don't think a guy that led the league in TD passes is a true #1, then I don't know what a true #1 is...

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Bowe took today off? Please. He was double covered. Shame on Weis for failing to move him around, get him in motion to create mismatches and free him up. This is not on Bowe at all.

It pains me to listen to people say things that are so far from the truth. After the first series I noticed that Bowe was getting coverage rolled to him. In case you don't believe me, here's a little blurb from Rotoworld:

"Coach Todd Haley admitted that it was a mistake not to involve Dwayne Bowe in Sunday's Wild Card round loss to the Ravens.
After catching 72 passes and 15 touchdowns in the regular season, Bowe didn't even get a target yesterday. Matt Cassel said that he was unable to throw in Bowe's direction because the Ravens had two defenders on him at all times. The two will have an entire offseason together to get on the same page as we look to next season."

If you don't think a guy that led the league in TD passes is a true #1, then I don't know what a true #1 is...

What is even more pathetic about the offensive effort yesterday was the fact that Bowe was double teamed and we still could not get a receiver open.

Seek
01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
1. Weis. 4th and an inch and you run a pitch.... for a 5 yard loss. Wow... That one play killed the game. Lets not forget the rest of the game

2. Offensive Line. We need two new players and one of those needs to be LT. Two weeks in a row and he is getting killed.

3. A second WR. Bowe was covered all game man to man and Ed Reed was always lined up on that side, waiting for a pass to Bowe.

4. Bye Bye Mike Vrabel. You have zero pass rushing abilities. Time to retire and become a coach.

Coach
01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
What is even more pathetic about the offensive effort yesterday was the fact that Bowe was double teamed and we still could not get a receiver open.

Agreed. As I mentioned in another thread, the fact that we signed and started Kevin Curtis the week of our playoff game and it was NOT due to an injury speaks volumes about this WR corps. Pioli has to be embarrassed by this.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Agreed. As I mentioned in another thread, the fact that we signed and started Kevin Curtis the week of our playoff game and it was NOT due to an injury speaks volumes about this WR corps. Pioli has to be embarrassed by this.
Ya I think Pioli is embarrassed and I'm hoping that this will make him want to try and go after Larry Fitzgerald even harder

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Ya I think Pioli is embarrassed and I'm hoping that this will make him want to try and go after Larry Fitzgerald even harder

Saw that the Cards have began efforts to resign him. I hope he really wants out that's the only way the cards will be willing to deal him. We HAVE to get a real number 1 wr this offseason. Or at least someone like bowe. Who has Nuber 1 talent but just can't do it game in and game out. That would open things up for the offense.

1KC_Fan
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Hopefully this will make the chiefs open up the wallet for a vetran #1 wr. Also or lb can't cover the pass over the middle to save our lives.

Coach
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I think signing Fitz would mean the eventual loss of Bowe. I doubt that the Chiefs are going to want to tie up that much money for the WR spots.

Lazeye
01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
1. Poor offensive play-calling.
2. Poor offensive play-calling.
3. Worn out defense due to 1 and 2 above.
To pissed to write alot but this is as close as I would say. Oh yeah they scored more points than us.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
... Or at least someone like bowe. Who has Nuber 1 talent but just can't do it game in and game out. ..
I'm sorry to say that I don't like Bowe any more than I did which is none. When you said what you did aboutI was thinking "duh!" I admit that Bowe could be #1 material if he was consistent like TG was and is and will be. People know that TG always has a good day; Bowe has his good days, his "butterfingers" days, and his bad days.

We need players like Tony Gonzalez. Each game he played for the chiefs he gave his all every time when the other players had their thumbs up you-know-where.

Coach
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
To pissed to write alot but this is as close as I would say. Oh yeah they scored more points than us.
On the bright side, your signature rocks!

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry to say that I don't like Bowe any more than I did which is none. When you said what you did aboutI was thinking "duh!" I admit that Bowe could be #1 material if he was consistent like TG was and is and will be. People know that TG always has a good day; Bowe has his good days, his "butterfingers" days, and his bad days.

We need players like Tony Gonzalez. Each game he played for the chiefs he gave his all every time when the other players had their thumbs up you-know-where.

The fact that Bowe does have talent is why I think that we need him. He is at the very least is someone that the defenses have to watch out for. If we get someone eles along with bowe then the defenses will have to gameplan for both. I think that will help Bowe and our offense as a whole.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
The fact that Bowe does have talent is why I think that we need him. He is at the very least is someone that the defenses have to watch out for. If we get someone eles along with bowe then the defenses will have to gameplan for both. I think that will help Bowe and our offense as a whole.
I think Bowe is more like a Steve Breston from Arizona. He is more of a complimentary WR to the number 1 WR that we are in dying need for.

billb40
01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
We also had a lot of empty seats. That was very discouraging to me. The weather was not that bad if you dressed correctly.

Not filling up Arrowhead for the first playoff game in years is a sad note for the Chief Nation. IMHO.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM

I agree with you...Unfortunately it's difficult to find guys that are going to be the greatest of all time at their position.

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I think Bowe is more like a Steve Breston from Arizona. He is more of a complimentary WR to the number 1 WR that we are in dying need for.

How is a WR who leads the league in TD's, makes amazing acrobatic catches, not a number one?

This guy is a stud, he is not being used properly.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Bowe isn't consistent; either they remember to put the stickum on his hands and he catches the balls , they forget and he can't hold the ball, or he just doesn't do well. I am surprised that he didn't get a hint when we had Tony - to see how Tony did his Christian duty and and didn't squander his employer's money by not being consistent.

Fastphilly
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Leads the league in TD's. The 15 is good it is not "stud status"..We played a ton of bum teams this season so that also mirrors that stat..The problem with Bowe is being consistant. He has dropped alot of key passes costing us a couple games. Against decent cover talent he gets completely shut down more likely due to the lack of speed on getting separation..He is not a #1 receiver.

Coach
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Leads the league in TD's. The 15 is good it is not "stud status"..We played a ton of bum teams this season so that also mirrors that stat..The problem with Bowe is being consistant. He has dropped alot of key passes costing us a couple games. Against decent cover talent he gets completely shut down more likely due to the lack of speed on getting separation..He is not a #1 receiver.

This much is true. I think he's the best WR we have, but he needs help on the other side of the field. He does not have the speed or route running ability to fight off double teams. I don't know if he is a #1 or #2, and I don't really care. He is the #1 WR on this team, and we don't have a #2. Until that changes, Bowe will be inconsistent.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM

So based on getting shutdown, we'd have to throw Greg Jennings and Reggie Wayne into the not #1 WR category also.

And if 15 TDs is not stud status, then there isn't a stud WR in the league right now.

Fastphilly
01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
So based on getting shutdown, we'd have to throw Greg Jennings and Reggie Wayne into the not #1 WR category also.

And if 15 TDs is not stud status, then there isn't a stud WR in the league right now.

Reggie Wayne is a one trick pony. He's good for running seam routes on the left side and thats it..Put a corner with speed and decent covering abilities on him and he's done. Revis is a huge step above what the Ravens have at corner. 15 TD's against the NFC West. Plus add in a weak Houston and Denver secondary and there you have it.

SIC J
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Reggie Wayne is a one trick pony. He's good for running seam routes on the left side and thats it..Put a corner with speed and decent covering abilities on him and he's done. Revis is a huge step above what the Ravens have at corner. 15 TD's against the NFC West. Plus add in a weak Houston and Denver secondary and there you have it.

All I can say about this is :lol:

Yeah Reggie Wayne sucks. :lol:

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Revis is an excellent corner. Bowe constantly had a corner and over the top safety help on him, just like he did against Denver in game 2. The fact that he commands that type of coverage in order to shut him down speaks loudly to his abilities. It's on the other WR's that they couldn't get open with Bowe getting so much attention.

SIC J
01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Bowe is a number 1 WR. PERIOD! The problem is, there's no other threat on the field with him. Who is on the other side of him, Copper? Chambers? LOL.

Lets get real. Teams double up on Bowe and any decent CB can handle the other side of the field by himself. Bowe needs another WR on the other side to be somewhat of a threat just like any other top WR in the league.

Fastphilly
01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
All I can say about this is :lol:

Yeah Reggie Wayne sucks. :lol:

I did'nt say Reggie Wayne sucks, but he does'nt have a variety of routes he runs. He is like Randy Moss, you don't have to worry about drag, posts, etc. He is a north/south route runner only. Get a capable CB with speed and Reggie is'nt having a blowout game.

Coach
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Bowe is a number 1 WR. PERIOD! The problem is, there's no other threat on the field with him. Who is on the other side of him, Copper? Chambers? LOL.

Lets get real. Teams double up on Bowe and any decent CB can handle the other side of the field by himself. Bowe needs another WR on the other side to be somewhat of a threat just like any other top WR in the league.

Exactly, we need another WR who can win in single coverage situations. If Bowe gets doubled then the other WR needs to be able to win his matchup. The best thing that could happen to Bowe is us getting another really good WR. The best thing that could happen to Jamaal Charles is us getting another solid WR. The best thing that could happen to Matt Cassel is getting another good WR.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
The need we have is for a Mike Wallace/Desean Jackson type...It's a lot to ask for, but when you have a guy that can stretch the field, he's likely going to command deep safety help, meaning Bowe is in single coverage on the opposite side. If they try to double both of them with safeties, the middle of the field is open for deep TE routes.

Getting that guy that can stretch the field is going to do huge things for this offense. For one, we get some more big plays. When the big play is shut down, it's up to Bowe to step up in single coverage. It sounds simple, but it's not too far off from that gameplan. Teams will scheme to focus on one and shut them down, but it's about impossible to scheme to shutdown two solid WR's unless you have a couple of solid corners like the Jets.

SIC J
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I did'nt say Reggie Wayne sucks, but he does'nt have a variety of routes he runs. He is like Randy Moss, you don't have to worry about drag, posts, etc. He is a north/south route runner only. Get a capable CB with speed and Reggie is'nt having a blowout game.

Since his 4th season in the NFL he's had at least 75 plus receptions and over 1000 yards EVERY season. And you know what helps that? Is for the most part he had Marvin Harrison on the other side of him.

Moss and Wayne are 2 completely different WRs. Wayne has way more to offer than 1 route.

Either way, the point is, EVERY #1 WR has an above average WR on the other side of him to keep from being double teamed all game. Bowe does not have that.

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Since his 4th season in the NFL he's had at least 75 plus receptions and over 1000 yards EVERY season. And you know what helps that? Is for the most part he had Marvin Harrison on the other side of him.

Moss and Wayne are 2 completely different WRs. Wayne has way more to offer than 1 route.

Either way, the point is, EVERY #1 WR has an above average WR on the other side of him to keep from being double teamed all game. Bowe does not have that.

Quoted for truth.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Well I thought what a #1 WR does is make average WR's better because the #1 WR is such a threat so that leaves the average WR (which is a #2 WR) on one on one coverage and also sometimes forgotten about because the defense is so worried about the number 1 WR. Not the number 2 WR make the number 1 WR better. I'm not saying that we don't need more help but I think Bowe would benefit if he was the number 2 WR.

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Well I thought what a #1 WR does is make average WR's better because the #1 WR is such a threat so that leaves the average WR (which is a #2 WR) on one on one coverage and also sometimes forgotten about because the defense is so worried about the number 1 WR. Not the number 2 WR make the number 1 WR better. I'm not saying that we don't need more help but I think Bowe would benefit if he was the number 2 WR.

Eh, I think the point everyone is saying is that this team would be better served if we had more wide receiver talent in general. It doesn't matter who is number one or number two as long as one of the two have the ability to make plays.

We have one receiver and a tight end that are capable of making plays, from there, we have a bunch of below average guys.

SIC J
01-10-2011, 03:41 PM

It comes hand in hand. Bowe doesn't not even have an average WR on the other side of him.

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
It comes hand in hand. Bowe doesn't not even have an average WR on the other side of him.
I fully agree with that but lets just not forget a #2 WR doesnt make a #1 WR better,but a #1WR makes a #2 WR better

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I fully agree with that but lets just not forget a #2 WR doesnt make a #1 WR better,but a #1WR makes a #2 WR better

Good grief man, it is all semantics. Another weapon on the team makes the whole darned team better, geez!

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Good grief man, it is all semantics. Another weapon on the team makes the whole darned team better, geez!

Agreed, I mean come on this is football 101 people.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Just food for thought:

Dwayne Bowe - 72rec, 1162yds, 15 TDs
Chiefs WRs not named Bowe (only those listed specifically as WR) - 67rec, 693yds, 3TDs

I think it's safe to say we could use another WR across from Bowe.

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Just food for thought:

Dwayne Bowe - 72rec, 1162yds, 15 TDs
Chiefs WRs not named Bowe (only those listed specifically as WR) - 67rec, 693yds, 3TDs

I think it's safe to say we could use another WR across from Bowe.

In hindsight, we should have thrown whatever it took to get Boldin.

rodu
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd take Sammie Parker over the other non Bowe wide outs we have on this team

Seek
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
In the Chiefs defense. Did anyone really predict the huge fall off that Chris Chambers created... He really hurt this team.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
In the Chiefs defense. Did anyone really predict the huge fall off that Chris Chambers created... He really hurt this team.

I remember one time saying that Chambers has a history of not performing after getting a contract shortly after he signed that contract. But no, I didn't expect THIS dropoff.

Jrudi
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
1. Turnovers

2. WR Play (we need a WR2 opposite Bowe, he was double covered all day and Kevin Curtis is not an answer! seriously if he was good enough to start a playoff game for us, why did we wait until then to sign him? (worst move of the season). WR play was ridiculous and was the reason Cassel was holding onto the ball like he used to, there was no where to throw it!

3. Calling a Toss play on 4th and 1 at the start of the 3rd Qtr! A field goal would have tied the game 10-10 and kept hopes alive. Instead Baltimore goes down and gets a score and then the game became a two score game.

If we are going to go for it on 4th and 1 Bring in Shaun Smith as the FB and have Thomas Jones run it up the gut, not a freaking toss sweep!

This was the changing point of the game, after that play the offensive production fell apart and miscue began to hurt us.

Props to the D' though. 30 points skews how good they played early on. They were on the field all game and wore out in the end.

billb40
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I See No One Else Agrees With Me On The Empty Stadium And It Was Empty For A Playoff Game.

billb40
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I See No One Else Agrees With Me On The Empty Stadium And It Was Empty For A Playoff Game.
WE DID NOT FILL THE STANDS. WHAT THE HECK. IF WE CANNOT SUPPORT THE TEAM WITH A SELL OUT WE DO NOT DESERVE A WIN.:efpge::maid:

chief31
01-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Top 3 reasons why the Chiefs lost today:
1. Charlie Weiss - glad he's gone. his playcalling all year heas been headscratching at best. Good riddance Charlie! You run Jamaal CHarles one time in the 2nd half???? Once???

2. Turnovers - You don't win any game when you turn the ball over 5 times. Let along playoff games against Baltimore.

3. Wide Receivers. Only 2 pass attempts to the WR's all day. 2????, that's got to be a record. They got no seperation all day. #1 offseason need is WR.

It would be easy to blame this loss on the defense, but the Chiefs offense just kept putting the defense in so many bad situations.

What are your top 3 reasons that are KC(not Baltimore) related?

1.) Spot on, Coach. I think that the play-calling was our biggest downfall.

I truly believe that some portion of Charlie Weiss "called it in" over the past few weeks. Maybe not intentionally, but perhaps due to the distraction of his employment situation.

NFL Network just stated that Weiss had his play-calling duties stripped during the game. (Speculation, it would seem.)

2.) Again. Right on target. Though, some of that could have easily been overcome. Just too much of it.

3.) I don't have the downfield footage, do I can't tell if Cassel was missing the openings, or if the WRs failed to get any separation. But one, or both of those units (QB/WRs) failed, it seems.

I would actually pin #3 on missed opportunities.

There were a couple of near INTs, that could have changed the entire game, and a couple of big passes where the receiver could not come down in-bounds.

HAHAHAH he was picked on all day and was beat over and over and over again. He was involved in every play because they directed the play to him every play.

Its not hard to be involved in every play when the offense is targeting you. His pass coverage most of the year has been less than it should have been. The Berry/Heap match was a mismatch from the start. Crennel moved McGraw over to cover Heap in the second half.

Berry made some good plays against the run today, but having him cover that big tight end led to a lot of third down conversions.

If you did not see that, then you are the one that needs your glasses cleaned. Berry was beat in pass coverage on a regular basis!

Berry's job is to cover the tight end in passing plays, Heap had 10 catches for 108 yards and was the Ravens' top receiver on the day. That tells me that Berry did NOT do his job well.

Yeah, Berry played a hell of a game. I'm not sure where you saw Berry blowing coverage on Heap.

OK. Hayvern is not entirely off-base here. But he does seem to be over-crediting Berry for alot here.

In the first quarter Heap was targeted six times. He had four catches. And all were against Berry in man coverage.

13:33 3rd & 8, Berry gets shoved off for separation, and allows a 12 yard gain for a first down.

Nobody to blame, but Eric Berry.

11:41, 3rd &2, Heap runs a stop route, for a seven yard gain and a first down.

Again, nobody to blame, but Eric Berry.

11:02, 1st & 10, Flowers covers Heap and disrupts a pass attempt in the endzone. Incomplete.

10:50, 2nd & 10, Berry is 'picked' by a LB (teammate) and can't recover, allowing a 13 yard gain, and a first down, at the goalline.

I put this one on the LB who came up to soon. But a tough play, no matter how you look at it.

9:11 3rd & 1 (Goal), Berry knocks away a pass to Heap in the endzone.

Excellent play by Berry.

4:36, 2n & 9, Berry allows a three yard gain, keeping Heap well short of a first down.

Very good defense by Berry.

In the second quarter, Berry did not cover Heap on any attempt thrown to Heap.

Mcgraw allowed two catches, 12 and 13 yards, and Belcher, in a zone, allowed the 21 yard catch.

In the third quarter, Flowers allowed a 13 yard catch by Heap, on a terrific pass/catch.

Berry had man coverage on Heap twice.

6:43, 3rd & 2, Berry breaks up a pass intended for Heap, bringing up fourth down.

Excellent play by Berry.

Then, at 5:40, on 1st & 10, at The KC 17 yard line, Berry is called for Illegal Contact against heap, in man coverage.

This play, in my opinion, makes your mind up about how Berry did against Heap.

To me looks as if Berry has position, feet get tangled, and Heap flops for the call. And the referee grants Heap's wish.

There was hand-checking beyond five yards, barely, by both players. And nothing that altered the path of the other player.

I think that the call was an attempt to call PI. But, after throwing the flag, the ref determined that that was a mistake, and granted the lesser call.

Either way, the penalty was only five yards.

During the fourth quarter, Berry was in man coverage against Heap for one attempt.

9:28, 3rd & 9, Berry allows Heap a seven yard reception, bringing up fourth down.

Excellent play by Berry.

Overall, Berry had bad coverage twice against heap.

But, with the penalty, and the play where he ran into a LB, there are two more plays that one could pin the blame on berry for.

On the other hand, Berry had good coverage, or just made a good play while covering Heap, four times.

And one could give him credit for a fifth, on the penalty call.

For my money, considering all of the other good plays that he made, even missing on an INT or two, I'd say that he had a pretty good game.

He did make a couple of mistakes. But far from getting torched.

chief31
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Time of Possession for the game had baltimore with the ball for 41:44, and The Chiefs for 18:16.

Daylights
01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree with this. Could it be that Cam Cameron simply outcoached Romeo this day? It could happen, and I think it did.
Romeo was one of the reasons we were in this playoff game in the first place - but it is his first year with this team and he will only get better as he gets the players he wants...

It might be easier to swallow if the Raiders didn't do the exact same thing the week before....short dumpoff passes. We covered deep and neglected the short middle two weeks in a row.

Other than that, Romeo has done well and the goal line stop early in the game was brilliant.

chief31
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Considering that our defense was on the field for 78 plays, as opposed to the 40 plays that The Ravens' defense was on the field, and the situations that the turnovers put them in, I think that Crennel did a very good job Sunday.

Chiefster
01-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Glads Weiss is history! Good riddens to bad rubbish.

Bike
01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
In hindsight, we should have thrown whatever it took to get Boldin.
Correct. Apparently, this organization isn't ready to take the next step. If it was, we would had snagged up Boldin. I don't think Pioli is willing to shell out the bucks to get a big-time reciever.
Chambers was a mistake. He is neither mentoring Bowe or contributing to the locker room. He is here for a paycheck - nothing more.
Weis was also a mistake.
I would like to pick up Fitz and McDaniels this off-season. I doubt that either will happen, but it should.
No more mistakes like Chambers and Weis please.

SIC J
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Correct. Apparently, this organization isn't ready to take the next step. If it was, we would had snagged up Boldin. I don't think Pioli is willing to shell out the bucks to get a big-time reciever.
Chambers was a mistake. He is neither mentoring Bowe or contributing to the locker room. He is here for a paycheck - nothing more.
Weis was also a mistake.
I would like to pick up Fitz and McDaniels this off-season. I doubt that either will happen, but it should.
No more mistakes like Chambers and Weis please.

Or maybe there's something about Boldin that Haley doesn't like. I mean, he did coach him.

matthewschiefs
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Glads Weiss is history! Good riddens to bad rubbish.

Me as well he was clearly not the right fit for our team so it's good that he is moveing on.

bwilliams
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Didn't read all of the responses, but:

1. The Ravens are really, really good. Perenially one of the top-5 teams in the NFL. Incredibly difficult to beat in the playoffs and incredibly well coached. They do not lose to teams with less talent than them.

2. Cassel. He was horrible out there. Of course, that was in part because of . . .

3. Our OL. Look, the smoke and mirrors was fiun for the first few weeks. But the undersized guys (Wiegmann and Lilja) wore down and Richardson was exposed as soon as he faced real pass rushers. Upgrade the d*** thing already!

brdempsey69
01-11-2011, 04:38 PM

1. The Ravens are really, really good. Perenially one of the top-5 teams in the NFL. Incredibly difficult to beat in the playoffs and incredibly well coached. They do not lose to teams with less talent than them.

2. Cassel. He was horrible out there. Of course, that was in part because of . . .

3. Our OL. Look, the smoke and mirrors was fiun for the first few weeks. But the undersized guys (Wiegmann and Lilja) wore down and Richardson was exposed as soon as he faced real pass rushers. Upgrade the d*** thing already!

Totally agree regarding the O-Line and Albert got exposed as well.

Seek
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Wow, Bwilliams says something I agree 100% with. We both can't be right, can we...

bwilliams
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow, Bwilliams says something I agree 100% with. We both can't be right, can we...

I like to think that you've matured over the six months I've been gone. :lol:

2010chiefs
01-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Everyone is talking about how having another No. 1 Wr will save our team. What good is it if the QB still can't throw to them. Matt Cassel held onto that ball over and over again and found myself screaming to throw the ball throughout the game. Let's hope another good WR will make Cassel a better QB because it's hard to believe that no one was open that many times. GO CHIEFS!

Hayvern
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Everyone is talking about how having another No. 1 Wr will save our team. What good is it if the QB still can't throw to them. Matt Cassel held onto that ball over and over again and found myself screaming to throw the ball throughout the game. Let's hope another good WR will make Cassel a better QB because it's hard to believe that no one was open that many times. GO CHIEFS!

HAHAHA, Cassel did a much better job of getting rid of the ball this year. Look at how many fewer sacks have been recorded. Towards the end of the season, when the offensive line started to have problems with pass blocking against tougher defensive line, we had a few more sacks.

But seriously, who is Cassel going to throw the ball to if the receivers cannot run routes well enough to get open? You can scream, "Throw the ball" all you want, but if no one is open all you are doing is giving up a down.

A better wide receiver across from Bowe would really help Cassel be able to get the ball off sooner.

Cassel needs to learn to scan the field a little better, I will still give you that, but he was much better this year than last year about getting rid of the ball.

Hayvern
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM

I get the feeling that upgrades to the offensive line are tough to pull together. Unless the Chiefs are willing to open up the payroll a little, I just don't see it happening, even though I am 100% on board with upgrading it.

We need a lot on the OL as well. Both of our centers are up for free agency, plus Waters is a little long in the tooth, we need to be thinking about his replacement. He will be a free agent this time next year as well and with his age, I do not see him coming back again.

Coach
01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Cassel needs to learn to scan the field a little better, I will still give you that, but he was much better this year than last year about getting rid of the ball.
Well said

bwilliams
01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I get the feeling that upgrades to the offensive line are tough to pull together. Unless the Chiefs are willing to open up the payroll a little, I just don't see it happening, even though I am 100% on board with upgrading it.

We need a lot on the OL as well. Both of our centers are up for free agency, plus Waters is a little long in the tooth, we need to be thinking about his replacement. He will be a free agent this time next year as well and with his age, I do not see him coming back again.

We had the 2nd lowest payroll in the league this year. Assuming Wiegmann and Vrabel retire and Chambers gets cut (safe assumptions), we'll still be well under whatever hard cap gets put in place, even with Hali, Charles, and DJ's extensions. There are places to scrimp, but OL isn't one of them.