PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weis stripped of playcalling duties at Halftime

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/01/17.jpg (http://s.tt/11Mxw)
Clipped from: profootballtalk.nbcsports.com (http://s.tt/11Mxw) (share this clip (http://curate.us/11Mxw+))

From Rotoworld.com

"Bob Fescoe of 610 Kansas City reports that Chiefs coach Todd Haley stripped OC Charlie Weis' play-calling duties at halftime of Sunday's 30-7 loss to Baltimore.
The Chiefs were down just 10-7 at the half, and didn't put a single point on the board in the final two quarters. Clearly the most dynamic player on the field in the game, Jamaal Charles received just three second-half touches. Kansas City's offense fell apart after news of Weis' departure broke prior to Week 17, and Haley only exacerbated the problem in the most important game of the season. Haley is now believed to be pursuing a puppet-type offensive coordinator to replace Weis, who is heading to the University of Florida"

This is absolutely and utterly ridiculous from Haley. We go into halftime down 10-7 and he takes away Weis's playcalling duties? Did anyone else see how horrendous the offense was in the 2nd half? I'm sorry, this is a horrible coaching move by Todd Haley in the biggest game of his head coaching career.

Hate to say it, but Whitlock was right. Haley let's his ego get the best of him. To strip Weis of his playcalling duties after the offense moved the ball very well in the first half is stupid. I can't remember the last time I've been this angry about a boneheaded coaching move.

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
I have been a supporter of Haley for the entire ride this far, but I will not support these kind of egotistical bs moves.

If this report is true anyways...

brdempsey69
01-10-2011, 01:42 PM
If that's true & I believe it is, then yesterdays loss can be pinned on Haley & someone should kick him right square in his groin.

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I am not sure if i am a believer of this or not but if true it just shows that it's good we and charlie are moveing on.

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I am not sure if i am a believer of this or not but if true it just shows that it's good we and charlie are moveing on.

If it is true, its obvious that the problem isnt Charile, nor was it Gailey. The problem is our HC and his ego.

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
If it is true, its obvious that the problem isnt Charile, nor was it Gailey. The problem is our HC and his ego.

I just have never been one to buy into the whole ego thing. This would make me start to wonder. But seeing that we are the afc west champs I will give Haley the benfit of the doubt that he thought it would be better for the team. But we can't do things like that to make us better.

Coach
01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Ridiculous if it's true.

Vanilla Garilla
01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I just have never been one to buy into the whole ego thing. This would make me start to wonder. But seeing that we are the afc west champs I will give Haley the benfit of the doubt that he thought it would be better for the team. But we can't do things like that to make us better.

Me neither, but after yesterdays disastrous second half I am looking for some fish to fry, ya dig? lol.

Seek
01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Bob Fescoe is a pot stirring rating idiot. I don't believe half of what he says as he does it just to get people to listen to his show.

Coach
01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Bob Fescoe is a pot stirring rating idiot. I don't believe half of what he says as he does it just to get people to listen to his show.
If you read Bob's quote it also says that Charlie Weis was telling anyone who would listen this story. This is 2nd hand information. Not info from Weis to Fescoe.

"Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/jamaal-charles) had just finished speaking to us literally five minutes maybe before that. I received a text from someone up in the Northland, and I received another one from someone this morning that was in the same pizza shop, not Pizza Shoppe, but a pizza location up there in the Northland......They both said Charlie Weis was up there telling anybody who would listen that Todd Haley took second half play calling duties away from him in the second half yesterday."

pbatrucker
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Let's look at this from this point of view. Haley is bound and determined to run the ball and Charles only gets one carry in the second half. I for one cannot beleive Haley was calling the plays and we gave up on the run.

SIC J
01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
This just sounds like drama and an attempt to make another excuse to why the Chiefs lost. Ravens were the better team yesterday. Thats all there was too it. Even if Charles got 20 more runs, it doesn't stop McCluster's fumble or the fact that the receivers were blanketed all game by the Ravens secondary to where Cassel had no where to throw the ball.

Time to stop dwelling on the game and move on. Chiefs aren't a Super Bowl team whether they beat the Ravens or not.

Coach
01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
This just sounds like drama and an attempt to make another excuse to why the Chiefs lost. Ravens were the better team yesterday. Thats all there was too it. Even if Charles got 20 more runs, it doesn't stop McCluster's fumble or the fact that the receivers were blanketed all game by the Ravens secondary to where Cassel had no where to throw the ball.

Time to stop dwelling on the game and move on. Chiefs aren't a Super Bowl team whether they beat the Ravens or not.
It also does not change the fact that we had 5 turnovers. Show me a team that won a playoff game in which they had 5 turnovers.

Seek
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
So his source is a second hand texter that over heard Weis at a pizza shop up north when the roads are horrible due to constant snow. Okay??? Well he does live up North, and it probably was PIzza Shoppe. Not sure where else he would go except maybe Minskey's or Stone Canyon.

Fastphilly
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
So Haley called the plays in the second half? Thats comforting to know.:lol:

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't know if it is true, and I take these things with a grain of salt, but when you get right down to it, there have been far too many reports of the ego of this head coach when it comes to offense.

Remember, we had no OC last year, but we did have a DC? There is no one in the NFL who can deny that Gailey has the ability to build a good offense. Yet, we got rid of him right before the season started.

So consider this food for thought. Maybe Haley does have this huge ego, he is willing to listen to what the OC is calling, but overrides every call coming in. Finally, he decides that they cannot work together because he thinks he knows better. No matter how you slice it, that is ego.

This is a long shot story, but it fits. Ultimately, Haley is allowed to have an ego as he is the head coach, but a good leader always considers what his generals suggest, even if he makes his own calls.

If Haley did take over in the second half, then it proves the point once again that we cannot have our head coach calling the plays and I hope Pioli steps in to correct that.

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Some more food for thought. I just don't get the timing. I have never heard that Weiss is the vindictive sort of person, but what if he was?

What would be the best way to cut the legs out from under Haley if you were pissed off at him? Perhaps announcing your intentions to leave at the end of the season?

Just more to think about.

Coach
01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
If Haley did take over in the second half, then it proves the point once again that we cannot have our head coach calling the plays and I hope Pioli steps in to correct that.

Great point.:postpimp4ib:

chiefnut
01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
i can't comment until its confirmed or not

4everchiefsfan25
01-10-2011, 03:38 PM
It would be nice if the Chiefs would stop being so secretive and just start talking about stuff for good or for bad.

Chief Buck Rogers
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I give you the Whitlock article

(http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311)

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I give you the Whitlock article

(http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311)

Yeah, we discussed that article at length, most of us dismissed Fatlock as just having sour grapes, yet, there could be something to it if the latest rumors are confirmed.

Chief Buck Rogers
01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I think a lot of people dismiss Whitless's articles because he's usually negative or constantly second guessing. However comma when you look at the insight he has in this article, and others, he may unfortunately know EXACTLY what he's talking about

#58ChiefsFan
01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
The problem I have with this story is three-fold

Fescoe
Whitlock
Pro Football Talk

I would like to hear from someone with a little better track record before making a decision.

Not saying this isnt true, but history has proven those three to be less than credible to me.

billb40
01-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I think a lot of people dismiss Whitless's articles because he's usually negative or constantly second guessing. However comma when you look at the insight he has in this article, and others, he may unfortunately know EXACTLY what he's talking about
Whitlock has it in for Pioli and the Chiefs because Pioli limited access to the media and Fakelock was anti-Chiefs ever since. I do not believe a word of his Sh**:chiefs::maid:

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Whitlock has it in for Pioli and the Chiefs because Pioli limited access to the media and Fakelock was anti-Chiefs ever since. I do not believe a word of his Sh**:chiefs::maid:

I don't either. I think he may have taken playcalling duties over witch was a mistake IMO But that by no means makes Haley a horrible head coach. He made a mistake in his first playoff game something many head coaches have done. I am still happy to have haley as our head coach

That being said to many more things like this will leave me with no choice but to rethink that.

chief31
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
True, or not, accepting, and announcing, another job, while working on a playoff game, does seem to have been a major distraction.

pbatrucker
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
The backlash against 610 Sports' Bob Fescoe's report continues. (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/1/10/1926422/chiefs-play-calling-duties-reportedly-went-to-todd-haley-in-second)
On Monday morning Fescoe reported that Charlie Weis told some people during a postgame meal following the Ravens game that Todd Haley stripped him of play calling duties at in the second half. Fescoe cited two sources who said Weis "was up there telling anybody who would listen that Todd Haley took second half play calling duties away from him".
Now ESPN's Adam Schefter cites a Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs) source who says Weis called every play.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2010/11/55.jpg
610 Sports in Kansas City reported Monday that Chiefs coach Todd Haley stripped Weis of play-calling duties at halftime of the loss. However, a Chiefs source insisted that Haley did not take over play-calling duties from Weis and that Weis called every play in the game, including the controversial fourth-and-inches call that was stopped for a loss. Schefter says one team source called anything to the contrary "just outright lies (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6009184)".

Chiefs QB Matt Cassel was asked on Monday whether Weis called all the plays against the Ravens this weekend. Via KCChiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/QA-with-Matt-Cassel-110/b28b2115-5ff3-46a1-acbd-aa09c77f363c):
"Yesterday we were operating as normal," Cassel said. "I didn't notice any difference. We have been doing that throughout the year where I just get the call in from Nick Sirianni, who is our QBs coach and we go."
By now we've heard enough versions of this story that you can decide for yourself who to believe.

Ryfo18
01-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I trust Schefter over Bob Fescoe. Regardless, the playcalling was absolutely horrendous in the 2nd half.

pbatrucker
01-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I trust Schefter over Bob Fescoe. Regardless, the playcalling was absolutely horrendous in the 2nd half.
I agree. I just couldn't believe those rumors though. Coach I'll run the ball until all else fails Haley, not running the ball.

Seek
01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I an telling you all. I saw Haley ripping into a red while our offense was at work. Someone else had to be calling the play or Haley is really gifted.

kilobytes
01-10-2011, 09:26 PM

I enjoy his articles whether I agree or don't agree. I don't quite get the hate on him.

matthewschiefs
01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I enjoy his articles whether I agree or don't agree. I don't quite get the hate on him.

I don't hate him I just don't think people can put much stock into what he says. I think that he is nothing but self serveing with his writtings. On one hand you have a 2-14 season and he defends that head coach who he likes. Then on the other hand you have a 10-6 AFC west Championship team and he clearly doesn't like and he writes that he's clearly a bad coach. I just don't think that he is very professional

chief31
01-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Same here.

But if you have bad things to say about The Chiefs, then alot of Chiefs fans are going to hate you.

That is nothing surprising.

Hayvern
01-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Hating Fatlock would require the expenditure of energy, he is not worth that expenditure!

Chiefster
01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Hating Fatlock would require the expenditure of energy, he is not worth that expenditure!

Absolutely! I have decided to "go green" with my personal energy consumption and NOT read his drivel.

Lazeye
01-10-2011, 10:29 PM
I dont trust the source on this one

Chiefster
01-10-2011, 10:47 PM

THIS! :D

tornadospotter
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I am liking your pictures on your posts,,,,, um,,,,, I mean your thoughts.:D

Seek
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Bob Fescoe is in defense mode this morning. He is basically reported what two sources told him, but he made no mention of who was calling the plays. It could have been the QB coach or even Haley's mother. He does not know that.

Hayvern
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
We will never know the exact truth here. The Chiefs are going to deny this to a man, it is clear at this point that no one is going to admit there was internal strife within the organization, even if there were some.

This is how organizations work. You spin it your way and make the detractors out to be idiots.

Vanilla Garilla
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
We will never know the exact truth here. The Chiefs are going to deny this to a man, it is clear at this point that no one is going to admit there was internal strife within the organization, even if there were some.

This is how organizations work. You spin it your way and make the detractors out to be idiots.

Government 101.

4everchiefsfan25
01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Government 101.
:lol:

tornadospotter
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Government 101.
I missed that class! Dang it. I took Government by the people and for the people instead.

Hayvern
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I missed that class! Dang it. I took Government by the people and for the people instead.

HAHAHAHAHA you are so gullible TS!

tornadospotter
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
HAHAHAHAHA you are so gullible TS!

Yep! Wasted my time in public service! If only I had taken that class. :smile