PDA

View Full Version : What was the reason?

sling58
09-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Back in the day the field goal posts were right on the endzone line? Why and what made them move them back to the back of the endzone? What year did that happen?

m0ef0e
09-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I think it was in the 50's when they moved them back. I'm purely speculating, but I'm going to say they moved them back because dudes kept running into them or in order to make the kicking game more challenging.

m0ebr0
09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I think it was in the 50's when they moved them back. I'm purely speculating, but I'm going to say they moved them back because dudes kept running into them or in order to make the kicking game more challenging.

That would be great. Im gonna catch the ball.... POLE!!!:lol:

sling58
09-28-2007, 02:15 PM
That would be great. Im gonna catch the ball.... POLE!!!:lol:

I wonder if it had to do with interference defensively also. Offenses using the posts as a screen? Possibility?

m0ebr0
09-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I wonder if it had to do with interference defensively also. Offenses using the posts as a screen? Possibility?

Hmm.... I would prolly try to do that. :lol:

sling58
09-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Hmm.... I would prolly try to do that. :lol:

I bet some teams did and used that successfully for that purpose. I know the Pats would use that to their advantage. It's only cheating if you get caught huh Bill?

m0ebr0
09-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I bet some teams did and used that successfully for that purpose. I know the Pats would use that to their advantage. It's only cheating if you get caught huh Bill?

I wonder if there was a rule against using the post...

sling58
09-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I wonder if there was a rule against using the post...

Something I should research!

m0ebr0
09-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Something I should research!

Let me know what u find.

McLovin
09-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Ocho Cinco could use it for a pole dancing touchdown celebration. Has potential. Maybe throw a couple smaller poles on the sidelines and let the cheerleaders... Oooh wait I digress. Problem is Sammie Parker would run into it almost every play.

hermhater
09-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Ocho Cinco could use it for a pole dancing touchdown celebration. Has potential. Maybe throw a couple smaller poles on the sidelines and let the cheerleaders... Oooh wait I digress. Problem is Sammie Parker would run into it almost every play.

...and THEN drop the ball?

McLovin
09-28-2007, 06:49 PM
...and THEN drop the ball?
Actually he wouldn't even have to have the ball thrown to him to hit the pole. But of the times he touched it, 50/50 he would drop it half the time after he hit the pole, and the other half would drop it before he hit the pole. Just depends on how far he was from the pole when the ball hit his hands.

sling58
10-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually he wouldn't even have to have the ball thrown to him to hit the pole. But of the times he touched it, 50/50 he would drop it half the time after he hit the pole, and the other half would drop it before he hit the pole. Just depends on how far he was from the pole when the ball hit his hands.

Sammie drops the ball even before it's thrown to him.