PDA

View Full Version : jon fox new denver coach

slc chief
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
ha ha bad move donkeys

Ryfo18
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Only one team in the NFL had a worse record than Denver this year. Anyone know who it was and who their coach was?

matthewschiefs
01-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Not to upset they signed him don't think that he is that much of an upgrade then what they had there before.

slc chief
01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
he is not very well at drafting either

Chiefster
01-14-2011, 01:20 AM
If what you all say is true then this is all fine with me. :D

4everchiefsfan25
01-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I love how the teams in the AFC West just keep making dumb moves

Ryfo18
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Despite the bad year last year, Fox certainly isn't a bad coach. He's been to a Super Bowl and won some division championships with the Panthers. He'll make the Broncos competitive, but hopefully not enough to be taking any AFC West championships from us!

Coach
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Despite the bad year last year, Fox certainly isn't a bad coach. He's been to a Super Bowl and won some division championships with the Panthers. He'll make the Broncos competitive, but hopefully not enough to be taking any AFC West championships from us!

Exactly. I guess I'm the outsider here. I think the hiring of Fox was a great move for the Broncos. Don't judge John Fox on this year's record. Ownership of the Panthers put him in an impossible situation to succeed. Ownership bled this team of all it's talent. When they didn't resign Fox to a new deal last offseason, it was very apparent that it would be his last year. I think if you asked the 32 coaches in the NFL which team had the worst ownership, at least 20 of them would name the same team; Carolina. The Carolina fans that paid $10,000 for the PSL's for this team are fuming right now. Letting guys like Peppers walk away. This team is a mess and it isn't because of John Fox.

Look at his track record. He's a great defensive mind. I don't think the Broncos will finish ahead the Chiefs next year, but don't discount John Fox. This is a great hire by John Elway.

bwilliams
01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Fox is a good hire for them - in the short term. He's not going to lead them to a SB or even probably a playoff spot, but he'll instill discipline, help develop Tebow (he did wonders with Delhomme) and help rebuild the defense. Best of all, he doesn't get involved in front office affairs. He wants to coach, not be in charge of player personnel. He won't firesale his best players McDaniels-style.

That said, he isn't the strongest coach, he generally does poor in developing offensive skill players, and his teams always seem to be injured/beat up.

I think he'll have some nice 6-10 to 9-7 sorts of years while rebeuilding the team. He'll then be replaced for someone younger who can make the Broncos truly competitive.

4everchiefsfan25
01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Fox is a good hire for them - in the short term. He's not going to lead them to a SB or even probably a playoff spot, but he'll instill discipline, help develop Tebow (he did wonders with Delhomme) and help rebuild the defense. Best of all, he doesn't get involved in front office affairs. He wants to coach, not be in charge of player personnel. He won't firesale his best players McDaniels-style.

That said, he isn't the strongest coach, he generally does poor in developing offensive skill players, and his teams always seem to be injured/beat up.

I think he'll have some nice 6-10 to 9-7 sorts of years while rebeuilding the team. He'll then be replaced for someone younger who can make the Broncos truly competitive.
It wasnt Fox who did wonders with Delhoome. It was Mike McCoy who did that, and McCoy was doing that this year with Tebow. Fox is a defensive minded coach and doesn't know much about coaching up the QB's

bwilliams
01-14-2011, 02:10 PM
It wasnt Fox who did wonders with Delhoome. It was Mike McCoy who did that, and McCoy was doing that this year with Tebow. Fox is a defensive minded coach and doesn't know much about coaching up the QB's

Fox had a great deal to do with Delhomme. Just as defensive-oriented Belichick had a great deal to do with Brady. Whether or not a young QB succeeds or fails is at least as much to do with the HC as it does the QB coach, whether he's a primarily defensive guy or not.

4everchiefsfan25
01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Fox had a great deal to do with Delhomme. Just as defensive-oriented Belichick had a great deal to do with Brady. Whether or not a young QB succeeds or fails is at least as much to do with the HC as it does the QB coach, whether he's a primarily defensive guy or not.
I believe Charlie Weis is the one that got all the credit for working with Brady. Haley doesn't get credit for developing Cassel, that was Weis. Haley gets credit for developing WR's because thats his nitch. Fox's nitch is defense its not QB's.

bwilliams
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I believe Charlie Weis is the one that got all the credit for working with Brady. Haley doesn't get credit for developing Cassel, that was Weis. Haley gets credit for developing WR's because thats his nitch. Fox's nitch is defense its not QB's.

You are severely, severely undervaluing the impact that head coaches have on player development, especially QB development. Read Brady's comments on Belichick sometime (Brady says Belichick is the best ever (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/260171-brady-says-belichik-is-the-best-ever)).

4everchiefsfan25
01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
You are severely, severely undervaluing the impact that head coaches have on player development, especially QB development. Read Brady's comments on Belichick sometime (Brady says Belichick is the best ever (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/260171-brady-says-belichik-is-the-best-ever)).
I'm not saying Belichick isnt one of the best HC's the NFL has ever seen but no where in that article does that say Brady credits Belichick for developing him.

bwilliams
01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm not saying Belichick isnt one of the best HC's the NFL has ever seen but no where in that article does that say Brady credits Belichick for developing him.

Brady agreed with Ryan's assessment that it's a huge advantage to have Bill Belichick on your side. "I get a ton of help from our coach," Brady said.

Read more: Brady says Belichick is the best ever (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/260171-brady-says-belichik-is-the-best-ever#ixzz1B2FdNRaa)

"According to quarterback Tom Brady, he does get a ton of help from coach Bill Belichick when preparing for an opponent, and he isnít about to apologize for it."

Tom Brady agrees with Rex Ryan, Bill Belichick does help him study: "We have the best coach in the history of football" | masslive.com (http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2011/01/tom_brady_agrees_with_rex_ryan.html)

Are you really claiming that who a head coach is has no impact on how a QB develops?

4everchiefsfan25
01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I'am claiming you can have a HC that doesnt no crap about how to develop a QB. There are only a few NFL coaches that really know how to develop a QB. Thats why they have QB coaches because a lot of HC's dont know how to develop a quarterback

bwilliams
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I'am claiming you can have a HC that doesnt no crap about how to develop a QB. There are only a few NFL coaches that really know how to develop a QB. Thats why they have QB coaches because a lot of HC's dont know how to develop a quarterback

The competence (or lack thereof) of a HC will *always* affect the development of a QB, espeically a rookie. A HC can shatter a QB's confidence by yanking him around a depth chart. By motivating or de-motivating him. By making sure he's prepared for gametime. By making sure he's complimented on the field with the correct players. In practice.

If you're just talking throwing mechanics, you're right. But there's a whole lot more to it than that.

Daylights
01-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Quite an assumption considering you have never worked in an NFL front office or alongside the coaches you are mentioning. If Fox has QB coaches to help him develop quarterbacks because of his own inadequacy in doing so, then why does the defensive-minded HC have DB and DL coaches? He knows a lot about defense, but according to your theory....he doesn't need them?

There is more to the development of QBs than what you are suggesting.

honda522
01-15-2011, 04:03 PM
This is getting better for the Chiefs in the AFC West. Broncos aren't getting any better, Raiders are taking 2 steps backwards, Chargers are sitting still with Norv.....

Coach
01-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Delhomme was developed???? Really?? He was chased out of carolina by the fans and went to Cleveland and stunk there too. He is arguably the single largest reason John fox never won a Lombardi trophy.

bwilliams
01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Delhomme was developed???? Really?? He was chased out of carolina by the fans and went to Cleveland and stunk there too. He is arguably the single largest reason John fox never won a Lombardi trophy.

Does everyone here have long term memory problems? Delhomme was a Pro Bowler with the Panthers. He was a good-to-great QB from 2003 to 2007, leading the Panthers to the SB in 2003 (where he threw for 323 yards and 3 TDs, no interceptions, and a 113.6 passer). He played in the a tough division and kept the Panthers competitive year in and year out. He just got old.

John Fox never won a Lombardi trophy because (1) injuries decimated the Panthers yearly (they had the worst traiing staff in the NFL), (2) they drafted terribly, and (3) they refused to hold on to their top FAs.

Not because of Jake Delhomme.

slc chief
01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
they hired the head coach of the only team that had a worst record then them.come on are you really trying to argue and say fox is a good head coach.if he was a good head coach they would not have finished with the worst record in the nfl.i dont care what excuses he has. your players either want to play for ya or they dont.they were not even competative in 70% of there games.and people think he is a good coach ha

bwilliams
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
they hired the head coach of the only team that had a worst record then them.come on are you really trying to argue and say fox is a good head coach.if he was a good head coach they would not have finished with the worst record in the nfl.i dont care what excuses he has. your players either want to play for ya or they dont.they were not even competative in 70% of there games.and people think he is a good coach ha

Is that directed at me? As I said earlier:

"Fox is a good hire for them - in the short term. He's not going to lead them to a SB or even probably a playoff spot, but he'll instill discipline, help develop Tebow (he did wonders with Delhomme) and help rebuild the defense. Best of all, he doesn't get involved in front office affairs. He wants to coach, not be in charge of player personnel. He won't firesale his best players McDaniels-style.

I think he'll have some nice 6-10 to 9-7 sorts of years while rebeuilding the team. He'll then be replaced for someone younger who can make the Broncos truly competitive."

He's not a great coach, but he was a good hire for the Broncos. People don't realize how bad that team is. They need someone inoffensive who can develop some building blocks on defense and offense. They need someone who won't meddle with front office decsions. Most of all, they need a competent coach who doesn't mind not being a championship contender - Fox is the best they could get.

slc chief
01-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Is that directed at me? As I said earlier:

"Fox is a good hire for them - in the short term. He's not going to lead them to a SB or even probably a playoff spot, but he'll instill discipline, help develop Tebow (he did wonders with Delhomme) and help rebuild the defense. Best of all, he doesn't get involved in front office affairs. He wants to coach, not be in charge of player personnel. He won't firesale his best players McDaniels-style.

I think he'll have some nice 6-10 to 9-7 sorts of years while rebeuilding the team. He'll then be replaced for someone younger who can make the Broncos truly competitive."

He's not a great coach, but he was a good hire for the Broncos. People don't realize how bad that team is. They need someone inoffensive who can develop some building blocks on defense and offense. They need someone who won't meddle with front office decsions. Most of all, they need a competent coach who doesn't mind not being a championship contender - Fox is the best they could get.
not directed at you i live near denver and all i have out here are donkey fans.and they are actually buying into this jon fox ordeal

Daylights
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Does everyone here have long term memory problems? Delhomme was a Pro Bowler with the Panthers. He was a good-to-great QB from 2003 to 2007, leading the Panthers to the SB in 2003 (where he threw for 323 yards and 3 TDs, no interceptions, and a 113.6 passer). He played in the a tough division and kept the Panthers competitive year in and year out. He just got old.

John Fox never won a Lombardi trophy because (1) injuries decimated the Panthers yearly (they had the worst traiing staff in the NFL), (2) they drafted terribly, and (3) they refused to hold on to their top FAs.

Not because of Jake Delhomme.

I agree. I think Jake D. had some solid years and then simply dried up. Saying that he was "chased out" of town by Carolina is a little extreme, as a previous poster suggested. Kurt Warner was "chased out" of St. Louis and New York before he finally landed in Arizona and almost won another Super Bowl. Just because of his falling out in St Louis and NY, I don't think anyone here would claim Warner was a bad QB. Bottom line: Just because Jake D. got old and lost his touch doesn't make him a historically bad quarterback.

ratty9
01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
real bad decision lol