PDA

View Full Version : Here's a name for OC

wilqb16
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Al Saunders.

Al is currently an "offensive consultant" with the Ravens.

If Haley decides not to call the plays (I can't imagine Saunders would come on if he were going to take on those duties), I think that Saunders would be a great fit. He is good at working with QB's and was here in KC during our great offensive run from 2002-2005.

I am sure he would leave an offensive consultant position for an OC job.

matthewschiefs
01-17-2011, 05:06 PM
I thought of his name last night. He has proven that he can put points on the board. It would just depend on how he matches what Haley and our other coaches want to do. Not a bad name to consider.

Coach
01-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Great name but I'd say he is a longshot at best. Prolly will be someone that Haley has worked with before. If he wanted someone familiar with KC and that can score points, we'd still have chan gailey.

captainamerica
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh how I wish we would've listened to Dick and hired Al Saunders as his replacement instead of trading for the Worm. I wonder where the Chiefs would be right now had we taken that approach. As far as the op goes, I like that idea. I've always liked Al Saunders.

honda522
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I'd take him.

matthewschiefs
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh how I wish we would've listened to Dick and hired Al Saunders as his replacement instead of trading for the Worm. I wonder where the Chiefs would be right now had we taken that approach. As far as the op goes, I like that idea. I've always liked Al Saunders.

I think that's something we all wish

tornadospotter
01-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Would love to see Al as OC again, but if Hailey has a problem with OC calling the plays, this will never happen.

Boxermm187
01-17-2011, 10:12 PM
It should be best for the TEAM not Haley

Jrudi
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Saunders would be awesome... if Haley lets him be in charge of the offense.

Could you image him coaching up Cassel, and what he could do with Charles and McCluster?? WOW

josh1971
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd really love for Scott Pioli to tell Haley "No... we tried that whole thing with you calling the plays. Get a damn offensive coordinator."

Lazeye
01-17-2011, 11:26 PM
With AL's past and what he has proven I would think Haley would be all over it. I think Haley gets involved when he sees dumb calls at dumb times and then finds it hard to trust. Al would not create that kind of problem because the points would be there.

Chiefster
01-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Al Saunders.

Al is currently an "offensive consultant" with the Ravens.

If Haley decides not to call the plays (I can't imagine Saunders would come on if he were going to take on those duties), I think that Saunders would be a great fit. He is good at working with QB's and was here in KC during our great offensive run from 2002-2005.

I am sure he would leave an offensive consultant position for an OC job.

I was thinking the same thing!

Three7s
01-18-2011, 04:15 AM
While I love an Al Saunders offense, the one kink in his scheme is that he doesn't allow the QB to call audibles. Trent Green was always mad about it and I'd assume that Haley wouldn't be thrilled about it either.

brdempsey69
01-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Hate to break everybody's bubble, but there is rumour that Al Saunders may be headed to the Oakland Raiders to take the OC position there. Not confirmed yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

pbatrucker
01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Al Saunders doesn't run the same offensive scheme we do. It will be some one from the Parcels, Belicke, Weis or Haley chain.
If they aren't targeting some one still in the play offs, look for him to promote some one on his staff.

jb908
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Josh McDaniels - Although I heard he interviewed in St Louis

Chiefster
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Hate to break everybody's bubble, but there is rumour that Al Saunders may be headed to the Oakland Raiders to take the OC position there. Not confirmed yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

DOH!

wilqb16
01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

I'd hate to see this...

Josh McDaniels is another name that I wouldn't mind. Although he was a trainwreck as an HC, I think he did a great job coaching up Orton and developing a passing offense.

I do think that he and Haley have put the whole finger pointing thing behind them enough to make this work. Plus, McDaniels is from the Belicheck chain w/ties to Pioli.

Downside is that I think he may be more controlling than what Haley is looking for...at this point ultimately what is best for Haley will be best for the Chiefs.

matthewschiefs
01-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Those talks broke down he is now talking to seattle. I really don't see him going to KC. In all likelihood our new OC will be someone we have not heard a lot about

4everchiefsfan25
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I dont want Josh McDaniels because I want some stability in our coaching staff. IMO if Josh McDaniels comes to Kansas City he will only be here for a year or two and then somebody will give him a second chance to be a head coach somewhere and then we are pack at square one with our OC situation.

Boxermm187
01-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I dont want Josh McDaniels because I want some stability in our coaching staff. IMO if Josh McDaniels comes to Kansas City he will only be here for a year or two and then somebody will give him a second chance to be a head coach somewhere and then we are pack at square one with our OC situation.
true that!!

chief31
01-18-2011, 08:09 PM

This was mentioned before. And the response was very good.

That would be the same with any peson who were to come in as our OC, if they have great success at it.

Anyone who shows themselves capable of running a top-flight offense will be looked at as a potential HC.

We do want an OC who will be greatly successful, right?

Boxermm187
01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
St. Louis Rams hire Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6034987)
josh to RAMS

Chiefster
01-19-2011, 03:04 AM
St. Louis Rams hire Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6034987)
josh to RAMS

So ends that debate.

4everchiefsfan25
01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
So ends that debate.
the farther along we go into the offseason it looks more likely that Haley may become the OC also.

pbatrucker
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
the farther along we go into the offseason it looks more likely that Haley may become the OC also.

Either he's waiting for someone still in the play offs or IMO he will promote someone already on the staff. If it's someone on the staff, they will hadle making the game plans and offensive meetings and Haley will handle the play calling.
As long as he doesn't try handling all the OC duties his self I don't have a problem with him calling the plays.

matthewschiefs
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Either he's waiting for someone still in the play offs or IMO he will promote someone already on the staff. If it's someone on the staff, they will hadle making the game plans and offensive meetings and Haley will handle the play calling.
As long as he doesn't try handling all the OC duties his self I don't have a problem with him calling the plays.

I would not mind that to much as long as the OC is working with the offense during the game. I want Haley to be a head coach during the game that means being a part of both the offense and the defense. I would rather have a real OC that is calling the plays but would not mind haley calling the plays under the right conditions.

pbatrucker
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I would not mind that to much as long as the OC is working with the offense during the game. I want Haley to be a head coach during the game that means being a part of both the offense and the defense. I would rather have a real OC that is calling the plays but would not mind haley calling the plays under the right conditions.

I think we all had a problem or two with our offense this year. A lack of screen plays. The way McCluster was used. They tried him in too many ways in stead of putting at slot receiver and letting him learn to run routes and become a great slot receiver. Too may pass plays on third and one. There was just too many head scratchers, plays that didn't make any sense at all. What ever happens, let's look for continued improvement.

Seek
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Al Saunders does kind of fit Haley's style of play. He is a very aggressive OC, but he proved in St. Louis that he was not a very OC, without talent to execute his plays, Namely the Offensive Line.

Chiefster
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Perish the thought.

Al Saunders does kind of fit Haley's style of play. He is a very aggressive OC, but he proved in St. Louis that he was not a very OC, without talent to execute his plays, Namely the Offensive Line.

...This, I would not be unhappy to have Sanders back.

matthewschiefs
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I think we all had a problem or two with our offense this year. A lack of screen plays. The way McCluster was used. They tried him in too many ways in stead of putting at slot receiver and letting him learn to run routes and become a great slot receiver. Too may pass plays on third and one. There was just too many head scratchers, plays that didn't make any sense at all. What ever happens, let's look for continued improvement.

I agree with the McCluster deal. We tried to do to much with him. I think we need to chose weather he is going to be a rb or a wr and he will be better. I don't like him going back and forth. I would prefer him go to WR just because we need a lot of help there.

brdempsey69
01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
It don't look good regarding Al Saunders.

NFL.com news: Saunders is front-runner for Raiders' offensive coordinator job (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc959a/article/saunders-is-frontrunner-for-raiders-offensive-coordinator-job?module=HP_headlines)

Boxermm187
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
seems like Oakland might get Al Saunders. they got the OK to talk to him. seems like the AFC West are doing a complete overhaul. I just don't want to see Haley be calling plays next year, he already has a job and that is the head coach. I want a hire to happen quickly.

josh1971
01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Seems like we don't do much very quickly under Pioli. I just hope we DO get an OC.

4everchiefsfan25
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I heard a rumor that the Chiefs were waiting to talk to somebody from the Packers. Not real sure how reliable these people

Seek
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
From what I have heard and this is from National Media sources when interviewed on local stations. The Chiefs won't just get any OC. It has to be an OC that is tied to a specific style of offense. I guess, Josh McDaniels worked exclusively with Matt Cassel and taught him the foundation of this system that Cassel has developed around. So the Chiefs are looking for a Young up and coming OC, that understands the system and is a QB guy. They are looking for a younger guy that is not a front runner for a promotion to HC the following year or two to establish some stability.

There is talks that Haley will fill the role of OC but not entirely while he works with the current Chiefs QB coach (Nick Sirrani sp?) who currently calls the plays in to Matt. They think that Haley will let Nick game plan and call a majority of the plays with Haley calling maybe a small portion of the plays.

The other opinion is that they will promote the Offensive Line coach Bill Muir to OC. He was the OC for Tampa Bay under John Gruden.

4everchiefsfan25
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
From what I have heard and this is from National Media sources when interviewed on local stations. The Chiefs won't just get any OC. It has to be an OC that is tied to a specific style of offense. I guess, Josh McDaniels worked exclusively with Matt Cassel and taught him the foundation of this system that Cassel has developed around. So the Chiefs are looking for a Young up and coming OC, that understands the system and is a QB guy. They are looking for a younger guy that is not a front runner for a promotion to HC the following year or two to establish some stability.

There is talks that Haley will fill the role of OC but not entirely while he works with the current Chiefs QB coach (Nick Sirrani sp?) who currently calls the plays in to Matt. They think that Haley will let Nick game plan and call a majority of the plays with Haley calling maybe a small portion of the plays.

The other opinion is that they will promote the Offensive Line coach Bill Muir to OC. He was the OC for Tampa Bay under John Gruden.
The Tampa Bay offense wasnt all that good when Gruden was the HC was it? I thought they played Marty ball I just cant remember.

Seek
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
The Tampa Bay offense wasnt all that good when Gruden was the HC was it? I thought they played Marty ball I just cant remember.
This is national media. They probably just looked at our coaches to see who they would promote and found to viable options. But not that offense was not great. Green just out coached Callahan.

Boxermm187
01-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Al Saunders is going to Oakland. seems like Oakland is loading up. they are now looking for a defensive coordinator to run the 3-4. Oakland is going to be no joke. getting a good staff around the team

Boxermm187
01-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Raiders add experience with new OC - AFC West Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/23646/raiders-add-experience-with-new-oc)
link

Boxermm187
01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/01/69.jpg
DAMN!!!!

josh1971
01-21-2011, 04:03 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2011/01/69.jpg
DAMN!!!!

You've got to get them in the head... or they come back!

Chiefster
01-21-2011, 07:40 AM
You've got to get them in the head... or they come back!

...Braaaaaiiiins...braaaaiiiins....

Sn@keIze
01-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Well we spit in Al saunders face after picking Hermeroid edwards over him.

he has incentive to beat us.

What do you do when you hire an OC, and that OC gives you the best offense in team history?... you let him go like the Chiefs did.

Jrudi
01-21-2011, 10:59 AM
So Much for the Al Saunders talk.

Just heard on Mike n Mike on my way to work that he is the new OC in Oakland!

That's not good news, not only do we not get a shot at him, now we have to face his offense twice a year!

4everchiefsfan25
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
So Much for the Al Saunders talk.

Just heard on Mike n Mike on my way to work that he is the new OC in Oakland!

That's not good news, not only do we not get a shot at him, now we have to face his offense twice a year!
Well, hopefully we can count on Al Davis to screw everything up again in a year or two so maybe Saunders wont be in Oakland for long

tornadospotter
01-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Well, hopefully we can count on Al Davis to screw everything up again in a year or two so maybe Saunders wont be in Oakland for long
Your right! He will only be OC for a year, then HC the next year, then done!

chiefnut
01-22-2011, 08:39 AM
still no rumors who the CHIEFS are looking at!!!!

bbacker51
01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
what about Brad Childress?

4everchiefsfan25
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I dont want Brad Childress that dude showed everybody in america that he has no back bone and lets people walk all over him like Brett Favre

chiefnut
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
you don't think they're thinkin about brian schotenhimer do ya??

4everchiefsfan25
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
you don't think they're thinkin about brian schotenhimer do ya??
No, I think Haley and Schotenheimer wouldnt mesh well and I dont think Brian would be ok with Haley calling the plays on game day.

bbacker51
01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I dont want Brad Childress that dude showed everybody in america that he has no back bone and lets people walk all over him like Brett Favre

That's why Haley might want him:whipping1:

4everchiefsfan25
01-25-2011, 04:41 PM
That's why Haley might want him:whipping1:
I would think that Haley would want somebody that Haley could walk all over but still have atleast a little back bone so Cassel wouldn't walk all over them.

AkChief49
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Jim Zorn

Boxermm187
02-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Jim zorn.....Under Zorn, quarterback Joe Flacco (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/wiki/Joe_Flacco) reached career high totals in touchdowns (25) and quarterback rating (93.6), as well as a career-low 10 interceptions
seems like a good candidate. just want some names from the people up stairs now....getting anxious!!!

Boxermm187
02-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I know he was the QB coach for the Ravens, but I think he can help Cassel elevate his game.
Hasselbeck has become the franchise’s most-efficient passer (85.1 rating) while joining Zorn as the only Seahawks’ quarterback to pass for 3,000-plus yards in three consecutive seasons
Batch’s 88.3 passer rating in 1998 season ranks as the fourth-highest rookie mark in NFL history.
he has a pretty good resume being a QB coach, but when he took over as the Redskins head coach, he only lasted 2 years with a 12 and 20 record....so his offensive coaching might be questioned.

bbacker51
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
The Franchise's most efficient passer is a great record to have................but, don't you think that may be because they called more efficient passes up in the booth? I think a lot of QB's in the league would have had a better efficiency with the passes Cassel threw this year. I still like him for many reasons, but I don't think he is the next Joe Montana by any means

Seek
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Discussion over.

wilqb16
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I am not that excited about the promotion of Muir. I guess it is OK in that it maintains continuity.

On the other hand, I wonder who will be calling the plays? I really didn't want Haley calling them.

Also, I hope we sign a QB coach.

4everchiefsfan25
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I am not that excited about the promotion of Muir. I guess it is OK in that it maintains continuity.

On the other hand, I wonder who will be calling the plays? I really didn't want Haley calling them.

Also, I hope we sign a QB coach.
By Haley making the decision to hire Muir that means that Haley will be calling the plays on Sunday.

Seek
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't know why people are complaining about Haley calling plays. Given the personel he has his first year and lack of understanding the offensive system. Who could have done better? Seriously???? Once he got rid of LJ and they used Charles.. The offense got much better. Heck Charles practically got the rushing title with half the season.

Some people just want to complain about him regardless of the situation but I do know this. None of the Haley haters, were saying Crap about him when this team was winning.

Instead of complaining about it, support it and if he fails. He will get fired and then you can complain abou him. It does no good to complain about it now. It won't change a thing.

wilqb16
02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't know why people are complaining about Haley calling plays. Given the personel he has his first year and lack of understanding the offensive system. Who could have done better? Seriously???? Once he got rid of LJ and they used Charles.. The offense got much better. Heck Charles practically got the rushing title with half the season.

Some people just want to complain about him regardless of the situation but I do know this. None of the Haley haters, were saying Crap about him when this team was winning.

Instead of complaining about it, support it and if he fails. He will get fired and then you can complain abou him. It does no good to complain about it now. It won't change a thing.

I have been a Haley supporter all along. As a rule of thumb, I don't like head coaches calling the plays. I don't care who the HC is. I just think it isn't as effective as having a dedicated guy in the booth doing the play calling.

Also, I am not convinced that just because the Chiefs have hired Muir that the playcalling will be done by Haley. From what I have read, the has, yet to be decided. I am not sure that Haley will call the plays. In some sense, it doesn't matter because he can always over-ride any call he does not like, so I don't think it is a guarantee that Muir won't call the plays.

However, I think that either way, we really need a QB coach because we have dropped a coach (mind you Muir will still be working with the O-line) and it isn't like there is going to be any less to do...