PDA

View Full Version : What if Mallet or Locker fall to #21

stevefuller
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Should we take either QB if they are there at 21?

Ryfo18
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Locker looked pretty bad today at the Senior Bowl practice from what I'm reading.

Mallett reminds me of Kerry Collins, meaning I don't want him.

I don't see anyway we take a QB first round.

Boxermm187
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
why???? we have a pro bowl QB!!!!

Chiefster
01-24-2011, 11:41 PM
why???? we have a pro bowl QB!!!!

The thinking is probably that we are in desperate need of a viable backup.

Boxermm187
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
The thinking is probably that we are in desperate need of a viable backup.
and waste a first round pick for one, when the chiefs have bigger hole to fill. don't make sense

Chiefster
01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
and waste a first round pick for one, when the chiefs have bigger hole to fill. don't make sense

Agreed, the only way that makes any since at all is if either of those guys can outplay Cassel thus making him the viable back up, and then he would be the highest paid backup in NFL history.

...Don't see that happening.

stevefuller
01-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Did Green Bay make a bad choice when they selected a qb of the future when they still had a probowl qb?

captainamerica
01-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Did Green Bay make a bad choice when they selected a qb of the future when they still had a probowl qb?
Favre was old and there were talks about him retiring even back than. Matt Cassel is young. We don't need to look for the heir to the throne yet.

matthewschiefs
01-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I think that we can and will pass on either of them if they fall that far. Qb is not a big postion of need. I think we would sign a Qb in the FA market to be the backup.

Ryfo18
01-25-2011, 01:01 AM

The big difference there is that Favre was 36 when they drafted Rodgers. Cassel is 28. Free Agency would be a much better way to address our need for a backup QB, as we can likely get a veteran with some solid NFL experience.

tornadospotter
01-25-2011, 01:09 AM
I am not opposed to drafting a QB, we do not do well in drafted QB's. That could change, but that is not a position of need. We have other needs to fill. If we took a QB in the draft, I prefer it to be in the later rounds.

wilqb16
01-25-2011, 02:13 AM
I am not opposed to drafting a QB, we do not do well in drafted QB's. That could change, but that is not a position of need. We have other needs to fill. If we took a QB in the draft, I prefer it to be in the later rounds.

I agree. Even if I thought we ultimately need an upgrade over Cassel (which I don't), this would be a bad pick. We are too far into the building process to be grooming a young QB. A backup QB can be addressed in the later rounds or FA.

We need to fill one of the three or four major holes we have with this pick.

Bike
01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Tell that to Green Bay in 2005 when they grabbed Aaron Rodgers with the 24th pick of the 1st round - while Favre was still going strong (Pro-bowl 2004).

4everchiefsfan25
01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
If Ryan Mallot dropped to number 21 in the draft I think we have to get him. As a Chiefs fan I am tired of getting QB's in FA and late in the draft lets take a risk and pick up Mallot if he is there at 21.

Jrudi
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM

No they didn't, but they also had a more complete team than the Chiefs currently have, and a QB that had been contemplating retirement, a good reason to be able to pick one.

If we were in that situation then yes, but we aren't

I agree, don't waste a first round pick on a backup QB when we have more important needs to fill.

brdempsey69
01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd much rather see the Chiefs take a QB in the middle rounds. Ricky Stanzi of Iowa comes to mind, as he has played with Moeaki & knows him. If Stanzi were to last till the 5th round, he's be a good pick in that round.

stevefuller
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
I agree other position need filled or upgraded, but second string QB has to be on that list.
We all agree Croyle is done.
As far as, signing one in FA. Who?
The list is short and the list has absolutely no one i like.
Matt Hasselbeck but he'll get solid money from someone to come start.
All i am saying is think of the SD game without Cassel easily our worst game of the year(don't even mention that raider game please....ain't quite over it yet)

I personally wanted several other players.
However, if one of these guys falls to #21 we got to consider it right?

kckidd8870
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
We won't get either of these guys in the first round.I'm not a huge Cassel fan but we don't need to waste a first rounder on those guys.If we don't do things right in the draft and free agency.We will be 6-10 for the 2011 season.Then we can wheel and deal to get luck in the 2012 season.Hope that's not true Chiefs fans but we have holes to feel and a brutal schedule.We do need someone to back up Cassel this year though.Croyle is done,he stinks.

Coach
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
We have a 27? year old pro-bowl qb who just had the best year of his career, of course we should spend our 1st Rd pick on a backup qb. We really dont have any other holes to fill anyhow.

chief31
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd pass on both.

chiefnut
01-25-2011, 06:03 PM
if we draft a qb it better be 3rd round or later, maybe devlin from delaware will slide, no one is talkin about him but he broke all of flacos records there and if their defense would have held they would have been national champions.

Jrudi
01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I kinda like Greg McElroy from Alabama, and he fits what the Chiefs draft.

Should be available in the 5th round, he's a smart player, lots of experience, has won a national championship, played in the SEC, and is much better than our current former Alabama QB.

Heard him on ESPN Radio as a guest before the national championship game this year. WOW! He impressed me as well as all of the hosts who had him on. Carried himself well, and the way he was breaking down D's was crazy smart. Dunno? maybe he might fit the mold of the right 53.

4everchiefsfan25
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I kinda like Greg McElroy from Alabama, and he fits what the Chiefs draft.

Should be available in the 5th round, he's a smart player, lots of experience, has won a national championship, played in the SEC, and is much better than our current former Alabama QB.

Heard him on ESPN Radio as a guest before the national championship game this year. WOW! He impressed me as well as all of the hosts who had him on. Carried himself well, and the way he was breaking down D's was crazy smart. Dunno? maybe he might fit the mold of the right 53.
He reminds me of Brodie Croyle way too much. If I didn't know any better I would think they were brothers :D

4everchiefsfan25
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
if we draft a qb it better be 3rd round or later, maybe devlin from delaware will slide, no one is talkin about him but he broke all of flacos records there and if their defense would have held they would have been national champions.
Devlin still had a shot at the end of the game to drive down and win. I didn't watch a lot of him but I seen the championship game on tv and it just seemed from the 1 game that i saw him play is that when the pressure was on he wasnt well composed, he wasn't setting his feet he was taking some ill adviced shots down the field I just wasnt sold on him, but maybe during that one game he wasnt playing his best.... Plus it didn't help that his WR's were dropping passes that were thrown to them also.

hometeam
01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Wont happen, pioli is way too smart to waste afirs tround pick on a QB right now, ESPECIALLY this years poor class.

slc chief
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Should we take either QB if they are there at 21?
nooooooooooooooooooo

stevefuller
01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I agree. We have other needs.
There will be other good players available at #21.

You've got to address that position though.
Look how many teams had to go to their second string.
Atleast, 75% ot them.

What free agent can we sign?
Bruce Gradkowski.....Alex Smith??

2010chiefs
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
No QB first round. We need a veteran backup like Kitna in Dallas. Knows what to expect, doesn't panic, and protects the ball. That's what a veteran does. That's all we need in a backup QB. How many are out there. I'd have to research that.

4everchiefsfan25
01-26-2011, 09:53 AM
How about bringing Todd Collins back to KC as a back up:D

stevefuller
01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Collins hurt shoulder in sundays championship game vs GB...16 yr vet I believe he will reire.
He was awful in the little playing time he got this year.
Look at his stats.

Try and sign Hasselback to backup cassel
he may do that at this point of his career?

As i mentioned earlier...
Alex smith and bruce gradkowski are a couple guys i would consider if i was wearing Pioli's pants
Especially A Smith

4everchiefsfan25
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Collins hurt shoulder in sundays championship game vs GB...16 yr vet I believe he will reire.
He was awful in the little playing time he got this year.
Look at his stats.

Try and sign Hasselback to backup cassel
he may do that at this point of his career?

As i mentioned earlier...
Alex smith and bruce gradkowski are a couple guys i would consider if i was wearing Pioli's pants
Especially A Smith
I was only kidding about Collins, and Hasselback wont backup Cassel, he was talking about his time is getting close to retire after he beat the Saints.

Jrudi
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Other FA's I wouldn't mind as our backup: Marc Bulger, Chad Pennington, Jim Sorgi, Billy Volek, Seneca Wallace

Sorgi, Volek, and Wallace, have all been reliable backups for years in this league, and would understand what it takes to fit into that role.

Bulger and Pennington are newer at the backup position, but would still be reliable and may even pose as a mentor to Cassel seeing as they have been a starter in the league before.

ARKIESTEEL
01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
As a person who lives in Fayettevill Ar and has season tickets to the hogs........YOU DONT WANT MALLET

Ryfo18
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Mike Mayock's take on Ryan Mallett: "Does not make good decisions. He makes every throw but struggles in the pocket."