PDA

View Full Version : If we signed one of these 2 OT...

stevefuller
01-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Jamaal Brown or Tyson Clabo?

chief31
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Jamaal Brown or Tyson Clabo?

Brown seems more likely to actually hit the FA market. And would probably give Albert a good run for the LOT spot.

Jared Gaither, in Baltimore, is another great possibility. While he says he wants to return to The Ravens, he might be lured by the promise of LOT money, over the ROT offers that The Ravens will be looking at.

And Bushrod, of The Saints might be available too.

I prefer, for any OT prospects, that they have the abilty to compete for the LOT spot, as well as ROT.

brdempsey69
01-31-2011, 08:36 PM
My question is are these guys long-term solutions or just a short term fix?

chief31
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
My question is are these guys long-term solutions or just a short term fix?

Gaither is 24. Bushrod 26. Brown 29.

Any one of them could be a long-term solution.

Gaither was the OT that we didn't put in a third round tender for in the supplemental draft a couple years ago.

He would be at the top of my list among FA OTs.

slc chief
01-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Gaither was the OT that we didn't put in a third round tender for in the supplemental draft a couple years ago.

i would take gaither in a heartbeat.i really hope they make a move on the o-line in free agency.or even the draft just not the 21st overall pick.who are the free agent centers on the market

brdempsey69
01-31-2011, 11:17 PM

The problem is all these guys are LT's & I'm not sure that they are going to willing to come to KC to play Right Tackle. Plus they more than likely would get better offers to play LT somewhere else.

Gaither is so injury prone. Got great upside. Maybe bring him in put #77 on him ( seems to be a charmed # for Chiefs LT's that have worn it, if you know Chiefs history ) and his physical fortunes might change. However, I'd want him at LT as he was pretty good at that position when he did play.

DMN
02-01-2011, 01:08 AM
who are the free agent centers on the market

2011 NFL Free Agents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html)

here ya go.

Ryfo18
02-01-2011, 01:16 AM
2011 NFL Free Agents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html)

here ya go.

That's interesting...I imagine the Pats resign Matt Light but they do make a good point about his age.

brdempsey69
02-01-2011, 01:18 AM

I just looked it up. That 3rd round pick was spent on Tank Tyler. I suppose hind sight is 20-20, but Willie Roaf had retired just a couple years before and the need for an OT was there. And it don't look like Gaither will be going anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e06fa3/article/ravens-set-meeting-with-ot-gaither-in-hopes-of-retaining-him

Coach
02-01-2011, 01:49 AM
I just looked it up. That 3rd round pick was spent on Tank Tyler. I suppose hind sight is 20-20, but Willie Roaf had retired just a couple years before and the need for an OT was there. And it don't look like Gaither will be going anywhere:

NFL.com news: Ravens set meeting with OT Gaither in hopes of retaining him (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e06fa3/article/ravens-set-meeting-with-ot-gaither-in-hopes-of-retaining-him)

The one thing I would say in defense of herm's pick of tank was that our run defense was historically bad and we needed some help up front in a big way. The pick didn't work out for multiple reasons, but it address a big position of need at the time.

That may be the one and only time that I defend herm.

pbatrucker
02-01-2011, 07:01 AM
You might want to pass on Gaither. Back problems are hard to over come for an O lineman. I asked my son (who lives in Bmore and a huge Ravens fan) about him last spring. He said he is a *****, lazy, doesn't work hard and over weight. He fell out of favor with the Ravens fr a reason.

chief31
02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
The problem is all these guys are LT's & I'm not sure that they are going to willing to come to KC to play Right Tackle. Plus they more than likely would get better offers to play LT somewhere else.

Gaither is so injury prone. Got great upside. Maybe bring him in put #77 on him ( seems to be a charmed # for Chiefs LT's that have worn it, if you know Chiefs history ) and his physical fortunes might change. However, I'd want him at LT as he was pretty good at that position when he did play.

Yeah. I prefer a guy who is capable of competing for the LOT spot, or ROT.

The injury situation is definitely 'iffy'. But I think it may be worth the risk.

NFL.com news: Ravens set meeting with OT Gaither in hopes of retaining him (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e06fa3/article/ravens-set-meeting-with-ot-gaither-in-hopes-of-retaining-him)

I believe that the third rounder we could have had him with would have come from the following seasons draft. That means DaJuan Morgan at #82; Brad Cottam at #76; or Jamaal Charles at #73.

If memory serves, then we could have used a lower third to acquire him, meaning Cottam or Morgan.

But we would have done it without seeing the '08 draft options, as it would have been almost a year prior to it.

You might want to pass on Gaither. Back problems are hard to over come for an O lineman. I asked my son (who lives in Bmore and a huge Ravens fan) about him last spring. He said he is a *****, lazy, doesn't work hard and over weight. He fell out of favor with the Ravens fr a reason.

I didn't hear anything about him falling out of The Ravens' favor. Just a back injury, as far as I had known.

That doesn't mean it isn't true. Just that this the first I have heard of it.