PDA

View Full Version : logan mankins free agent

slc chief
01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
There remains the possibility of Logan Mankins (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/players/loganmankins/profile?id=MAN347391) returning to the New England Patriots (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/teams/newenglandpatriots/profile?team=NE) next season. But the Pro Bowl guard doesn't see that happening.
Mankins told the Boston Herald on Friday (http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1312690&format=text) that he doesn't believe New England has any long-term plans for him, and he made it clear he would be unhappy if the team used its franchise tag to bring him back.

"No, I wouldn't be happy about that, if that's what they chose to do, to be dealt that kind of hand," Mankins said at the Pro Bowl hotel complex in Honolulu. "But we'll see what happens."
Mankins sat out the first seven games of the 2010 season in a contentious holdout. Despite the bad blood between team and player, Mankins said Wednesday that he is open to a return to the Patriots (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d81df1e8e), who were on even-footing with other teams in the market for the free agent-to-be.
On Friday, Mankins made it clear he didn't expect the Patriots to get involved in any bidding wars.
"I would never say the door is totally shut," he said. "But the way it's looking right now, I don't see it happening. I don't see them trying to keep me, unless it's with the franchise tag."
Mankins was a restricted free agent after the 2009 season, and he and the team couldn't agree on a contract. The sixth-year pro eventually signed a reduced tender offer and returned for the final nine regular-season games in order to accrue another season to qualify for unrestricted free agency this offseason.
Mankins, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, has never missed a start in games in which he was eligible to play.

slc chief
01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
he is a pioli draft pick

Ryfo18
01-30-2011, 11:44 AM
he is a pioli draft pick

But I doubt that he'll spend the money required to bring him in.

slc chief
01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
But I doubt that he'll spend the money required to bring him in.

you never know he is only in his 5th season of his nfl carreer.pioli might look at it as a long term investmant

brdempsey69
01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
He's a Guard. I don't think the Chiefs will pay him what he wants. Al Davis might though.

slc chief
01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
He's a Guard. I don't think the Chiefs will pay him what he wants. Al Davis might though.
he is a pro bowl guard. and damn good one to someone will pay him.dont think it will be al davis he is not fast enough to be on al's roster lol.

chief31
01-30-2011, 02:09 PM
With Waters, Albert, Lilja and Asamoah, OG may be the deepest position on this team.

Even if you omit Albert, we still don't have a whole lot of room to bring in a big money starter.

slc chief
01-30-2011, 02:13 PM
With Waters, Albert, Lilja and Asamoah, OG may be the deepest position on this team.

Even if you omit Albert, we still don't have a whole lot of room to bring in a big money starter.

with waters and lija. they are both long in the tooth who knows if they even come back next year. i hope they both return. but if not mankins would be a good replacement.we definantly need a center first and foremost

Three7s
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
with waters and lija. they are both long in the tooth who knows if they even come back next year. i hope they both return. but if not mankins would be a good replacement.we definantly need a center first and foremost
Lilja is NOT old! I think he's 29? He's still got a few years minimum. Waters is old, but that's why we have Asamoah. We do not need to get Mankins, period. If he played Tackle, I'd be all for it.

chief31
01-30-2011, 04:31 PM

I suppose that anything is possible.

However, Waters, at age 33, has missed only three games over the past decade. And, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to mention anything about retiring.

Given the promise that The Chiefs showed in 2010, it seems like terrible timing for him to consider it.

And Lilja is in his prime, at age 29. He has only just finished his sixth season. I have to seriously doubt that retirement is on his mind right now.

But it is certainly fair to speculate about Waters. 11 seasons and age 32 is more than enough to start thinking about it.

Just seems that sticking with a team through 10-38 and showing the potential for the future, by going 10-6, would strongly suggest, to me, that he would want to make a push with this team.

I would be far from opposed to Mankins being brought in. But I do feel that it would be overkill at a position where we are already strong, and could reduce our ability to sign free agents at positions with a more legitimate concern.

slc chief
01-30-2011, 05:08 PM
I suppose that anything is possible.

However, Waters, at age 33, has missed only three games over the past decade. And, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to mention anything about retiring.

Given the promise that The Chiefs showed in 2010, it seems like terrible timing for him to consider it.

And Lilja is in his prime, at age 29. He has only just finished his sixth season. I have to seriously doubt that retirement is on his mind right now.

But it is certainly fair to speculate about Waters. 11 seasons and age 32 is more than enough to start thinking about it.

Just seems that sticking with a team through 10-38 and showing the potential for the future, by going 10-6, would strongly suggest, to me, that he would want to make a push with this team.

I would be far from opposed to Mankins being brought in. But I do feel that it would be overkill at a position where we are already strong, and could reduce our ability to sign free agents at positions with a more legitimate concern.
i was thinking they were both older than that. i forgot we drafted lija then he went to indy.but yeah hopefully they both come back and we can sign or draft a solid center

chief31
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
i was thinking they were both older than that. i forgot we drafted lija then he went to indy.but yeah hopefully they both come back and we can sign or draft a solid center

Yeah. Lilja is home-grown.

He was born in KC, went to high school in KC and even went to college in Kansas.

I think, after he removed my doubts when we brought him back, that he will be with The Chiefs for quite a while.

Jrudi
01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Bringin Mankins in may be a possibility... but like some of you have said I don't think Pioli will want the big ticket to go along with it. They are grooming Asamoah to take Waters spot and they seem to like him alot, plus it would involve moving waters to center, and I'm just not sure on that whole idea.

I could see Matt Light Coming here even though he is old. He is past his prime, but still plays at a high level, and won't require the price tag that Mankins would. If he came we could have the option to play him or Albert at either RT or LT. this could allow us to draft and groom a tackle.

This sounds like a nice line....
LT-Light, LG- Mankins, C-Waters, RG-Lilja, RT-Albert...

Wouldn't mind it. Our Left side would be the same that kept Brady's backside clean for years! But still not sure if they want to pay Mankins or move waters.