PDA

View Full Version : First round mock

Ryfo18
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
A friend of mine and I alternated picks. I picked the odd picks and he picked the even. We're going to revisit, but here's what it looked like:

1.) Carolina - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
2.) Denver - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
3.) Buffalo - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
4.) Cincinnati - AJ Green, WR, Georgia
5.) Arizona - Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
6.) Cleveland - Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama
7.) San Francisco - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
8.) Tennessee - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
9.) Dallas - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
10.) Washington - Stephen Paea, NT, Oregon State
11.) Houston - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
12.) Minnesota - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
13.) Detroit - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.
14.) St. Louis - Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
15.) Miami - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
16.) Jacksonville - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
17.) New England - Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue
18.) San Diego - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
19.) New York Giants - Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
20.) Tampa Bay - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
21.) Kansas City - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
22.) Indianapolis - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
23.) Philadelphia - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
24.) New Orleans - Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa
25.) Seattle - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
26.) Baltimore - Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
27.) Atlanta - Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt
28.) New England - Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson
29.) Chicago - Mike Pouncey, C, Florida
30.) New York Jets - Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona

2010chiefs
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Looks good to me. I hope your right!

Boxermm187
02-01-2011, 11:38 PM
as much as i hope you are right, Jones is not falling to 21. IMO, he is the best WR in this years Draft. mostly all the mock drafts I have been watching has him going to the Rams.

brdempsey69
02-02-2011, 01:02 AM
I also do not believe that Jones or Green fall to #21. But nothing wrong with wishing for it.

My wish is for the Chiefs to take one of those OT's, Sherrod, Carimi, or Castonzo. Probably won't happen as taking a talented OT in the 1st round seems to be an abomination to the Chiefs brass.

Ryfo18
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Jones may not fall to 21, but again I cite Dez Bryant last year. I realize he had some character issues, but in general teams are hesitant to take WRs early. It is a difficult position to evaluate for a scout.

The way this mock draft played out, I can't really argue too heavily against any of the picks. It's very defensive heavy, but there seems to be a lot of talent this year at DE/OLB.

brdempsey69
02-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Jones may not fall to 21, but again I cite Dez Bryant last year. I realize he had some character issues, but in general teams are hesitant to take WRs early. It is a difficult position to evaluate for a scout.

The way this mock draft played out, I can't really argue too heavily against any of the picks. It's very defensive heavy, but there seems to be a lot of talent this year at DE/OLB.

That was true in 2010 regarding Bryant. But step back one year & you see DHB going to Oakland at #7 and Crabtree going at #10, so it's not every year that teams are hesitant to take WR's early. And Green and Jones are better prospects than those two. Plus, if Bryant did not have character issues, he would've gone much higher.

kcred
02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
With all the chiefs needs this off season. It would be in the chiefs best interest to pick up a wr thru free ageny. Most wr taken in the draft don't make impact their first yr. That is afact d end at 21. 2nd pick. D tackle Muhammad wilckerson. Temple. This kid can start from day one and has the highest ceiling in the draft. He can be as good as Sue in 3yrs. Check him outout

4everchiefsfan25
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I think that Arizona will pick up Blaine Gabbert, I just think their biggest need is a QB

brdempsey69
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
With all the chiefs needs this off season. It would be in the chiefs best interest to pick up a wr thru free ageny. Most wr taken in the draft don't make impact their first yr. That is afact d end at 21. 2nd pick. D tackle Muhammad wilckerson. Temple. This kid can start from day one and has the highest ceiling in the draft. He can be as good as Sue in 3yrs. Check him outout

I agree NT is a need, but I'm not sold on 2 Defensive players with the 1st two picks. The O-Line does need help & that may be the strength of the draft when it comes time to pick #21. OT's Carimi, Castonzo, and Sherrod could all still be on the board. I really believe the top WR's will be gone. Many people want SOLB at #21, but it's hard to ignore that they passed on Curry in 2009 & they do have Studebaker, Cory Greenwood, and Sheffield has been given a clean bill of health to play again.

I think that Arizona will pick up Blaine Gabbert, I just think their biggest need is a QB

They did start a rookie named Skelton in some of their games last year, so it could happen, just like you say.

4everchiefsfan25
02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree NT is a need, but I'm not sold on 2 Defensive players with the 1st two picks. The O-Line does need help & that may be the strength of the draft when it comes time to pick #21. OT's Carimi, Castonzo, and Sherrod could all still be on the board. I really believe the top WR's will be gone. Many people want SOLB at #21, but it's hard to ignore that they passed on Curry in 2009 & they do have Studebaker, Cory Greenwood, and Sheffield has been given a clean bill of health to play again.

They did start a rookie named Skelton in some of their games last year, so it could happen, just like you say.
It seemed like you never knew who Arizona was going to start at QB every week. It kind of reminded me of the Raiders. Plus they are going to try as hard as they can to keep Fitzgerald so by them drafting a QB in the first round they can try and sell Fitz on that QB to try and get him to stay.

Ryfo18
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree about Arizona to some extent, but they also have a huge need for a pass rusher. When you run a 3-4 D and your DE's have more sacks than your OLB's, something is wrong. Joey Porter is way past his prime.

4everchiefsfan25
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree about Arizona to some extent, but they also have a huge need for a pass rusher. When you run a 3-4 D and your DE's have more sacks than your OLB's, something is wrong. Joey Porter is way past his prime.
I forgot Joey Porter still played football :lol:

Xanathol
02-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Patrick Peterson may not make it out of the top 2, much less the top 5.

The Saints pick looks spot on however - another wasted 1st round! :D I swear, for as well as the Saints draft in all other rounds, they'd be better off using a magic 8 ball in the 1st ( and yes, Jenkins sucks - he's getting a lot of hype for 1 play + 1 game this year ).

I can see KC going WR, O-line, or NT. Julio would be awesome, but would probably have to move up ( a lot ) to get him.

whatwasthat?
02-04-2011, 01:57 PM

i hope you dont mean 3-4 DE in the 1st-that would just be ridiculous

wilkerson is too small to play NT in the 3-4...he would be a 4-3 DT and does not fit our scheme

Jrudi
02-04-2011, 03:10 PM

You know you are right. WR is one position that nearly every year seems to slip further from where they are projected. Seems like the #1 ranked is usually on but that 2nd rated seems to always slip.

Dez Bryant, Micheal Crabtree, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin etc.

I hope he falls to us!

Ryfo18
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
You know you are right. WR is one position that nearly every year seems to slip further from where they are projected. Seems like the #1 ranked is usually on but that 2nd rated seems to always slip.

Dez Bryant, Micheal Crabtree, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin etc.

I hope he falls to us!

I think we were under the assumption in this mock also that teams would draft based on "need", not on "best player available." Of course, that isn't the case all the time.

Someone else mentioned Patrick Peterson slipping in this mock. I agree that he will probably go higher, but can't really argue against the guys that are gone before him b/c each of these teams have a need and get a solid player to fill that need.

Jrudi
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I think we were under the assumption in this mock also that teams would draft based on "need", not on "best player available." Of course, that isn't the case all the time.

Someone else mentioned Patrick Peterson slipping in this mock. I agree that he will probably go higher, but can't really argue against the guys that are gone before him b/c each of these teams have a need and get a solid player to fill that need.

Agreed.

Just because a player is rated #10 overall doesn't mean that lets say the Cowboys because they have pick 10 will select them. They may have the position filled already and look to a best available need.

stevefuller
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Denver goes CB
They don't even have a starting cb right now
Peterson goes #2

SF Looks to sign veteran QB
It"s 2 high to select any QB

Paea is a favorite of yours
He does"nt go that high- several other DT rated higher and with Shanahan they may trade down or surprise everyone and select Locker this high. He's a Shanahan QB for sure

Sherrod first OT selected.
It's not going to happen he's aRT only(possibly G)

Julio Jones. I'ld take that. Could fall easily. Interviews and his workout at the combine will not increase his stock. Drops way to many balls. Questions if he can get off the line of scrimmage.

I would take Solderat #21 with players still available.

31)Pitts- Tyron Smith(OT)
32)GB- Cory Liuget-DT

Ryfo18
02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Denver goes CB
They don't even have a starting cb right now
Peterson goes #2

Definitely a possibility. I could them franchising Bailey for a year though and grab Bowers to place him across from Dumervil.

SF Looks to sign veteran QB
It"s 2 high to select any QB

Maybe so, but with Harbaugh in his 1st year, I'm not putting it past him to get a QB in the draft and why not go with perhaps the most pro-ready guy. Maybe it's too high but was there every a time when QBs didn't come off in the top 10? Teams look to grab the best of the crop and build them into franchise QBs.

Paea is a favorite of yours
He does"nt go that high- several other DT rated higher and with Shanahan they may trade down or surprise everyone and select Locker this high. He's a Shanahan QB for sure

I didn't pick the even picks, just the odd ones. I don't necessarily agree with this either, but Washington does have a big need for a 3-4 NT.

Sherrod first OT selected.
It's not going to happen he's aRT only(possibly G)

Just watching Sherrod and the other LT's, he's the best all-around blocker of the crop in my opinion. He doesn't do one thing particularly well, but he's perfect to get work at RT in year 1 for the Lions, and then Backus becomes a free agent make the switch to LT. Regardless, they have to protect Stafford.

I would take Solderat #21 with players still available.

Ehh, he's another Branden Albert. Great run blocker, shotty in pass coverage. Pretty raw at this point.

honda522
02-05-2011, 08:11 PM
I can't even believe Blaine Gabbert is even mentioned in the first round.

brdempsey69
02-09-2011, 02:08 AM
The more I look at this list, the less certain I become the Rams will take Jones at #14. They do need a guy like Jordan. So, it may not be a 100% certainty that they take WR Jones at #14 -- although the scales would tip towards that with wanting to get Sam Bradford some help.

Ryfo18
02-09-2011, 02:15 AM
The more I look at this list, the less certain I become the Rams will take Jones at #14. They do need a guy like Jordan. So, it may not be a 100% certainty that they take WR Jones at #14 -- although the scales would tip towards that with wanting to get Sam Bradford some help.

I agree, it's tough to say what they will do. With Donnie Avery back, and maybe Mark Clayton (he's a FA I think, but showed great chemistry with Bradford), I don't think the Rams are necessarily desperate for a WR in the first round.