PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Promote O-line Coach Bill Muir to Offensive Coordinator

Ryfo18
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
So it sounds like Haley stayed within the organization and went with Offensive line coach Bill Muir as his offensive coordinator.

I'm not sure what to think. He was an offensive coordinator for the buccaneers from 2002-2008, certainly not stellar offenses. Sounds like a guy that Haley can have more control over as to how the offense runs.

Source: http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/33214694516858880

Seek
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, lets hope it is his lack of offense with Tampa was due to lack of talent. I mean there was some real no names on that offense for years. The best player was their full back.

Ryfo18
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Well, lets hope it is his lack of offense with Tampa was due to lack of talent. I mean there was some real no names on that offense for years. The best player was their full back.

I think the situation here is very similar...Gruden was calling the plays in Tampa.

4everchiefsfan25
02-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I'am glad that the wait is over and now the Chiefs can move forward, Not saying that it will I really dont know much about the guy but I just hope this move doesn't make us take a step backwards.

brdempsey69
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Perhaps he'll pound the table for O-Lineman in the upcoming draft.

4everchiefsfan25
02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Perhaps he'll pound the table for O-Lineman in the upcoming draft.
If he pounds the table for O-lineman like you have then I think the Chiefs will be drafting some O-lineman:lol: :bananen_smilies046:

brdempsey69
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
If he pounds the table for O-lineman like you have then I think the Chiefs will be drafting some O-lineman:lol: :bananen_smilies046:

Well, my biggest fear is that a couple of guys are aging and they have a tough schedule this year. I look at the Balt game and can't help but wonder if Cassel had fully recovered from the beating he took from the Raiders the week before. Nobody wants to see that happen again. :bananen_smilies046:

4everchiefsfan25
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, my biggest fear is that a couple of guys are aging and they have a tough schedule this year. I look at the Balt game and can't help but wonder if Cassel had fully recovered from the beating he took from the Raiders the week before. Nobody wants to see that happen again. :bananen_smilies046:
I agree 100% that if it happens again who knows if Cassel will end up like Trent Green and not ever recover and then we are really screwed

matthewschiefs
02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Not at all surprised that this is how it worked out. We will just have to wait and see how it goes. Hopefully this is a good move.

Coach
02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
We knew it would be a "yes" man. He is now part of the tree. I am fine with this hire. We might as well get used to losing coordinators, that is what happens to good teams.

Coach
02-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Here is the official source:
Bill Muir To Be Named Chiefs Offensive Coordinator (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Bill-Muir-To-Be-Named-Chiefs-Offensive-Coordinator/d114d2ef-b017-47c4-b080-28315f288152)

Ryfo18
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I just saw a quote from Muir saying that he has never called offensive plays in his 33 years of coaching.

Three7s
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
And your new Offensive Coordinator for the Chiefs.....Todd Haley!

This is all just formality, since everyone knows Muir can't run an offense.

4everchiefsfan25
02-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I am ok with the decision as long as Haley calls the plays on Sunday and Muir does all the OC stuff during the week so Haley wont be in over his head

tornadospotter
02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I am not sure what I think. I will take a wait and see position, but admit that I am not all that positive about this move.

slc chief
02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
i am not thrilled about the hire.but i am willing to give the muir haley duo a shot.i would of liked to have seen a young anbitious person to have taken the job.but only time will tell i guess

2010chiefs
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't like this at all. Goes to show how much control Haley wants over this team and how he can't let go of being an offensive coordinator. I was hoping that he would prove me wrong by letting someone else call plays, but nope! Hope he proves me wrong and does a good job this time around. If not, off with his head. Seriously! GO CHIEFS!

brdempsey69
02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't like this at all. Goes to show how much control Haley wants over this team and how he can't let go of being an offensive coordinator. I was hoping that he would prove me wrong by letting someone else call plays, but nope! Hope he proves me wrong and does a good job this time around. If not, off with his head. Seriously! GO CHIEFS!

I knew that was coming from somewhere, but, understood, nonetheless. Many believe Muir will be just a high-priced clipboard holder while Haley runs the show.

Chiefster
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
NFL.com news: Chiefs opt for continuity, make Muir offensive coordinator (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e17e29/article/chiefs-opt-for-continuity-make-muir-offensive-coordinator)

SIC J
02-03-2011, 11:51 PM
One thing like is they won't be bringing in a new OC and a whole new system.

LlamaNinja
02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I just think it is a jinx going with a guy that has worked with the Detroit Lions...
I will give him a year I mean Haley just really wanted a guy to agree with him and he got it. Now if we end up with less than 8-8 I will demand his head (probably Cassel too depending on my mood hehe).

4everchiefsfan25
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
I just think it is a jinx going with a guy that has worked with the Detroit Lions...
I will give him a year I mean Haley just really wanted a guy to agree with him and he got it. Now if we end up with less than 8-8 I will demand his head (probably Cassel too depending on my mood hehe).
Looking at our schedule and not knowing who we are going to get in the draft to help our team out, I just dont think you can put an expectation on the Chiefs just yet, I'm not trying to be a downer but don't let the Chiefs record this season fool you. I mean we were good enough to beat teams that we were suppose to beat, but the schedule we had this year was a lot easier than the schedule we are going to have next year, and the Chiefs still have a lot of holes to fill before we are a great team making a run deep into the playoffs. So I will wait and see what the Chiefs do during the offseason in the draft and Free Agency before I start saying my expectations and off with Haley and Cassel's head.

Seek
02-04-2011, 11:29 AM
The only problem I have with this. Is the fact he is ancient. The guy is past retirment age. The stress of filling the role as OC could be taxing on him and we could be talkinga bout his replacement again next year.

Jrudi
02-04-2011, 03:30 PM
One positive from this promotion is that the system won't change. It will be nice for Cassell to not have to learn a new system and terminology for next season.

I'm sure Haley will be calling plays on Sunday's but the good thing is he hopefully won't been in ALL of the Offensive game-planning meetings that took so much time away from being the head coach in his first season.

I still think Haley had his hands in more of the play calling this year than what was portrayed to the general public. I think that is part of the reason for Weis leaving. So hopefully some of the successful outings the offense had this year was due to some of Haley's play calling, if that is the case hopefully we don't have to worry.

NWA Chief
02-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I think the bigger hire will be the QB coach. Losing Weis is actually going to affect the passing as well as Cassel's development IF KC doesn't hire someone with a great passing history.

Obviously Todd Haley likes to have a gameplan by association. I think that the offense can still be great with Muir. To be honest, the title of Offensive Coordinator varies with different teams. Some teams rely on the OC for everything and some teams have the OC gameplan and the coach has the final say. I think the latter will be KC's plan but I think Carthon, Muir, Haley and whoever the QB coach will be can create a potent offensive gameplan from week to week.

On another note, I thought KC would get an assistant from GB or Pitt as the OC. Still could get one after the SB.

Bike
02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I am not sure what I think. I will take a wait and see position, but admit that I am not all that positive about this move.
My feelings also. Haley will have trouble finding a long-term OC having some independent input on offensive game planning and play calling. Actually, Muir is a good fit with Haley. But whether this move is the long term solution for the Chiefs in thier goal of winning the superbowl - I'm not so sure.
If you guys like Haley - if you think he will win us a superbowl - then this move might be ok with you.
If you might think Haley is not the answer for us winning the big one - you may not like this hire.
I'm not real excited with this hire.

chief31
02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
My feelings also. Haley will have trouble finding a long-term OC having some independent input on offensive game planning and play calling. Actually, Muir is a good fit with Haley. But whether this move is the long term solution for the Chiefs in thier goal of winning the superbowl - I'm not so sure.
If you guys like Haley - if you think he will win us a superbowl - then this move might be ok with you.
If you might think Haley is not the answer for us winning the big one - you may not like this hire.
I'm not real excited with this hire.

I am a 'tweener. He has definitely earned a great deal of my respect. But I am not supremely confident that he is going to win us a Super Bowl just yet.

As for his choice to be HC and OC.... I have some deep reservations about the decision. But I am not going to be hasty in making a judgement.

Bike
02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I am a 'tweener. He has definitely earned a great deal of my respect. But I am not supremely confident that he is going to win us a Super Bowl just yet.

As for his choice to be HC and OC.... I have some deep reservations about the decision. But I am not going to be hasty in making a judgement.
Yeah. They were just saying that McCarthy calls all of Green Bays offensive plays. So it can be done...