PDA

View Full Version : If We Were To Draft An Ot With 21

pbatrucker
02-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Were IMO htere is not an OT in this draft that would push Albert to another position in there first year, let's discuss who is on the board.

Solder- He was the most dominate offensive lineman at the senior bowl during pratice, but had a bad game. A lot of up side and will be a solid OT in the NFL. IMO he would not push Albert to another position in his first year. Also will probably be gone before 21.
Sherrod- Showed poor foot work at the senior bowl and has dropped on many OT ratings. He is now rated as a RT only by many. Poor foot work doesn't work well in a zone blocking scheme.
Castano- Four year starter, solid student, Pioli guy. Lot of up side and would probably push Albert to another position in his second year.
Probably the best fit for our scheme would be:

Tyron Smith: Natural feet and knee bend; above-average first-step quickness; gets into position and can mirror pass-rushers or sustain in the running game; moves well in space when pulling or seeking targets on the second level; good power base despite undersized (290 pounds) frame; raw in terms of awareness but is tough and finishes plays; rising quickly, could be first offensive lineman off the board.

Ryfo18
02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I think Tyron Smith has the most potential out of the group to be an everyday LT. Very athletic guy. But I agree with you, I don't think any of these guys push Albert to RT.

Solder is a huge guy, did fairly well in college. I watched some tape of him against Von Miller and Aldon Smith though and they ate him alive. When he gets to the NFL level he's going to struggle from the get go until his pass blocking improves. Very similar to Albert though, he's a great run blocker, very strong.

I've seen Castonzo listed as the top of this crop, which may be true. BC linemen typically fare very well in the NFL. I haven't had a chance to watch him much.

Carimi is another name you could probably add to this list as well. Like Solder, a solid run blocker but his pass blocking is something to be desired.

honda522
02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know of any one particular OL, but teams like Navy who run the triple I, I would look at because they are really good at running the football. I haven't sat down and watched the line its self, but as a whole they look great.

pbatrucker
02-12-2011, 07:14 AM
I think Tyron Smith has the most potential out of the group to be an everyday LT. Very athletic guy. But I agree with you, I don't think any of these guys push Albert to RT.

Solder is a huge guy, did fairly well in college. I watched some tape of him against Von Miller and Aldon Smith though and they ate him alive. When he gets to the NFL level he's going to struggle from the get go until his pass blocking improves. Very similar to Albert though, he's a great run blocker, very strong.

I've seen Castonzo listed as the top of this crop, which may be true. BC linemen typically fare very well in the NFL. I haven't had a chance to watch him much.

Carimi is another name you could probably add to this list as well. Like Solder, a solid run blocker but his pass blocking is something to be desired.

I realized after posting that I left Carmi off the list. Since I like a big strong OL, he is my favorite and you would think that Haley would change his mind about smaller more agile linemen. But we know that's not going to happen.
Carimi is a RT only at the next level and IMO the Chiefs aren't good enough yet to spend 21 on a RT.

pbatrucker
02-12-2011, 07:20 AM

I realized after posting I left Carmi off the list. I love big strong offensive linemen and you would think Haley would change his mind about smaller, more agile offensive linemen after ours got destroyed by the big boys. But you know that won't happen.
Carimi is a RT only at the next level and at this point I don't think the Chiefs are good enough to spend 21 on a RT.

Xanathol
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Were IMO htere is not an OT in this draft that would push Albert to another position in there first year, let's discuss who is on the board.

Solder- He was the most dominate offensive lineman at the senior bowl during pratice, but had a bad game. A lot of up side and will be a solid OT in the NFL. IMO he would not push Albert to another position in his first year. Also will probably be gone before 21.
Sherrod- Showed poor foot work at the senior bowl and has dropped on many OT ratings. He is now rated as a RT only by many. Poor foot work doesn't work well in a zone blocking scheme.
Castano- Four year starter, solid student, Pioli guy. Lot of up side and would probably push Albert to another position in his second year.
Probably the best fit for our scheme would be:

Tyron Smith: Natural feet and knee bend; above-average first-step quickness; gets into position and can mirror pass-rushers or sustain in the running game; moves well in space when pulling or seeking targets on the second level; good power base despite undersized (290 pounds) frame; raw in terms of awareness but is tough and finishes plays; rising quickly, could be first offensive lineman off the board.
Sounds like you get your reports from Todd McShay ( that's not a good thing ).

Solder sucked all Senior Bowl week and suffered in many scouts' eyes. Sherrod was dominate. Castano is ok as is Tyron.

Senior Bowl impressions | National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-impressions.html)

Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod did a nice job this week reaching speed off the edge and redirecting cleanly in space. He still gets a bit high with his hand placement and isn’t as compact as you would like with his punch, but he's a gifted athlete with natural movement skills in pass protection.NFLDraft101: 2011 Senior Bowl Report Card: Recapping the Weeks Top Stories Includes Stock Up/Down (Chris Maier) by Chris Maier (http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/articles/549/2011_Senior_Bowl_Report_Card_Recapping_the_Weeks_T op_Stories_Includes_Stock_Up/Down_%28Chris_Maier%29.jsp)

Derek Sherrod had the strongest week showing the most complete package of athleticism, run blocking and pass protection skills. Anthony Castonzo and Gabe Carimi were not far behind with each showing NFL starter quality talent. For Castonzo this meant showing solid fundamentals including great footwork and the ability to setup quickly in pass protection. His lack of strength remains a concern however. Carimi is not the most athletic tackle here but is a tremendous drive blocker who handled speed rushers better than expected making the case he could stay on the left side in the a power running system. Nate Solder had the toughest week struggling when asked to play on the right side where speed rushers beat him with ease. More concerning however, was his struggles with power and swim moves on the inside (note: struggles going to his right side). Despite showing raw technique though, Solder was able to display the athleticism that has led to the "highest upside" tackle label.Senior Bowl practice notes: Day 3 | National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-practice-notes-Day-3.html)

Finally, it’s always fun to watch two top-tier prospects go head to head and that’s exactly what we saw this afternoon when Texas A&M pass rusher Von Miller squared off with Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod in a heavyweight matchup. Now, not siding with Sherrod, but he was on the right side for this showdown, the spot opposite where he played in college. In round one with Miller standing up from a two-point stance, he simply used his great first step and ability to drop his pad level to flatten out around the edge to accelerate right past Sherrod toward the corner.
In round two, Sherrod took the jab, was quicker to reach the corner and did a nice job maintaining his balance and extending his arms into Miller. Miller countered with an inside spin, but Sherrod cleanly redirected — the reason why we think he’s the best OT in the nation — and calmly anchored through the play.
NFLDraft101: Seven Round 2011 NFL Mock Draft - Post Senior Bowl (http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/mocks/current.jsp)

Derek Sherrod had an impressive week at the Senior Bowl and may have moved himself into round 1. Normally the Giants would take a high upside tackle such as Tyron Smith or Nate Solder and let them develop but the Giants made need a more immediate impact with David Diehl and Kareem McKenzie in decline. Sherrod can play either side and is a strong run blocker. With improved line play the Giants could rejuvenate the ground game and reduce the number of Eli Manning interceptions in 2011.Let me know if you need more...

pbatrucker
02-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Actually I watched almost all of the senior bowl practices on NfL network. Sherrod was getting beat up pretty good and the so called experts were saying as much. They were also saying Solder was the best OT during practices.
Were I do look to McShay for information, I also go to many different web sites to form my opinions.

Xanathol
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
My apologies - I didn't want to insinuate that your own observations led to those conclusions, because I couldn't disagree with you moreso, as can be said for various draft sources, such as the ones I quoted. Sherrod was dominate and Solder was dominated ( mostly by no name guys ).

Ryfo18
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I think the opinions differ widely (as they do in this forum) among who's the better OT, Sherrod or Solder. Mayock's top 5 at each position has Solder at #2 and Sherrod at #5. I've seen other sites w/ Sherrod edging Solder out.

From what I've seen, Solder is a great run blocker but needs some work on his pass blocking. I have to watch more on Sherrod before I give my opinion on him.

kcred
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
If they stay at 21 I see them selecting. RYAN KARIGTON. De /olb
Purdue. I believe they will trade this pic to Dallas. For a 2 &3. Look for them to take #42 pick from Dallas. Muhammad. Wilkinson. Dt. From temple