PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs visit with Shaun Rogers

Jrudi
02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I saw on NFL.com that Former Lions and Browns DT Shaun Rogers visited the Chiefs facility on Tuesday.

What are everyone's thoughts on this visit?

Don't know if I like it or not... Has a few character issues in the past, but could still have a positive impact on the D. This could allow us to wait to draft a NT next year or a later round this year instead of 2nd or 3rd round.

He made the the pro-bowl last in 08' his only year with Crennel in Cleveland which may be a good thing if they meet back up.

I'm thinking if we do get him, treat it like the Shaun Smith signing and just do a 1 year to see how things play out... Character Issues vs production.

captainamerica
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Well Crennel knows him first hand, so if he thinks he's a good fit for the team, than that's good enough for me.

chief31
02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I saw on NFL.com that Former Lions and Browns DT Shaun Rogers visited the Chiefs facility on Tuesday.

What are everyone's thoughts on this visit?

Don't know if I like it or not... Has a few character issues in the past, but could still have a positive impact on the D. This could allow us to wait to draft a NT next year or a later round this year instead of 2nd or 3rd round.

He made the the pro-bowl last in 08' his only year with Crennel in Cleveland which may be a good thing if they meet back up.

I'm thinking if we do get him, treat it like the Shaun Smith signing and just do a 1 year to see how things play out... Character Issues vs production.

Does he? I hadn't heard of any. Not that I am an avid follower of his career.

The only thing I remember about him is that He had made a name for himself with The Lions, prior to moving to Cleveland.

I know I saw him a lot that last season with Detroit.

That, and he has had a couple of injuries that cost him playing time.

Beyond that, I can only look at stat-lines.

Ryfo18
02-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Does he? I hadn't heard of any. Not that I am an avid follower of his career.

Mostly this: Shaun Rogers' gun was ****ed, with a bullet in the chamber, as Browns lineman planned to board a plane at Cleveland Hopkins, report says | cleveland.com (http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/browns_shaun_rogers_loaded_gun.html)

There's the "lazy" tag too. I dunno, I'm partial either way.

chief31
02-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Mostly this: Shaun Rogers' gun was ****ed, with a bullet in the chamber, as Browns lineman planned to board a plane at Cleveland Hopkins, report says | cleveland.com (http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/browns_shaun_rogers_loaded_gun.html)

Maybe I did hear that, and just didn't bother to place him as the same guy. :lol:

Boxermm187
02-17-2011, 07:27 PM
would like to add him to this team. he is now going to New Orleans for a visit. so it is Washington, KC, and NO....so far. lets see who has a better sales pitch.

Coach
02-17-2011, 09:49 PM
This would be a GREAT pickup IMO. It gives us NT depth and creates a lot of flexibility for us in the draft. This guy is a true NT that would be a week 1 starter.

andrewk78
02-18-2011, 04:47 AM
No thanks

Coach
02-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Chiefs have more competition for Rogers - AFC West Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post?id=24442)

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/02/rob-ryan-teams-should-be-inter.html

Jrudi
02-18-2011, 04:05 PM

That's the issue I thought of as well.

The one thing that I think the Chiefs have over other teams (besides offering $$) is Crennel, Like I said Rogers' last pro bowl season was his only season with Crennel, who made the trade to bring him to Cleveland.

Seems like the Chiefs have a pretty good sales pitch, don't know what they say but Thomas Jones, and Ryan Lilja both commented last offseason that part of the reason they signed with us last year was because of how they saw the organization being ran, and the atmosphere withing the organization... not necessarily signed because of money. (plus Lilja grew up here)

Who knows... we will see.

Xanathol
02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
The 'character' concerns are really blown out of proportion about Rogers. The worse is the gun, which he has basically said was a major screw up in that he forgot it was in his bag ( really - does anyone think Rogers was going to hijack a plane?! To quote Carlos Mencia, where would he take them - the NBA finals? ). If you can dismiss that one, there really are no others.

On the local radio here in DFW, they were saying many sources stated he was actually a terrific 'team guy' with a tremendous work ethic - not lazy in the least. In Cleveland, they were saying he felt that with the current regime, he couldn't win; like no matter what he was doing, it was either unrecognized or he was being downplayed and he lost heart; I think one can understand that.

Personally, I've never been one to follow Rogers, but the dude is old school strong and a beast at nose - he tore a hole in the interior of the Saints' line this year. Jackson, Rogers, Dorsey, with Hali on the outside and a possible rookie on the other side just to mix things up? Sign me up!

Jrudi
02-18-2011, 05:09 PM
The 'character' concerns are really blown out of proportion about Rogers. The worse is the gun, which he has basically said was a major screw up in that he forgot it was in his bag ( really - does anyone think Rogers was going to hijack a plane?! To quote Carlos Mencia, where would he take them - the NBA finals? ). If you can dismiss that one, there really are no others.

On the local radio here in DFW, they were saying many sources stated he was actually a terrific 'team guy' with a tremendous work ethic - not lazy in the least. In Cleveland, they were saying he felt that with the current regime, he couldn't win; like no matter what he was doing, it was either unrecognized or he was being downplayed and he lost heart; I think one can understand that.

Personally, I've never been one to follow Rogers, but the dude is old school strong and a beast at nose - he tore a hole in the interior of the Saints' line this year. Jackson, Rogers, Dorsey, with Hali on the outside and a possible rookie on the other side just to mix things up? Sign me up!

That doesn't sound like a bad mix to me either...

Just posted a new thread about Bob Sanders being released by the Colts if we could have him rotate with our safeties instead of McGraw that would be awsome too. And as you said Land a solid Rookie opposite Hali and that sounds like a D that I would like!

I like the idea of signing any of these veteran FA's to short term deals 1-2yrs

- Rogers (fills NT need, has history with Crennel)
- Sanders or Bailey (rotate with Safeties or Bailey to start at FS)
- Matt Light (fill RT spot, end of career may not cost as much, has history with pioli)
- Steve Breastin or Early Doucett (Fills WR2 spot, both have history with Haley)
- Kameron Wimbley (Oposite Hali, has history with Crennel)

I know I wouldn't want all of them, and we probably wont sign that many FA's because we need to build through the draft, but if we got a couple of these guys it could really give us flexibility in the draft to basically get the best player available, and help to fills holes that will allow us to compete again next year.

Chiefster
02-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Hopefully this is a great sign of things to come, and hopefully there will be a 2011 season that does not include replacement players.