PDA

View Full Version : stephen paea

toyotapower
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Regardless of his injury, this guy is a beast. At the bench press portion of the combine he just put it up 49 times. That's the most in over ten years. he would look good in red and gold

Xanathol
02-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I actually changed my mock to Paea to KC after that. I think an OT would be a better grab, but after that showing and given Hali is 2 for 2 taking a defensive player in the first, I changed who I think the Chiefs pick.

Jrudi
02-28-2011, 09:12 AM
His stock has dropped, but he is still a beast. depending on where we fill other needs, we may be able to land him in the 2nd round.

4everchiefsfan25
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
That would be nice to beable to pick him up in the 2nd round

SAPHOJUNKIE
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
he won't last until the second round, I worry.

If we want him, we probably have to take him in the first, which I would be more than happy with us doing.

This kid is a perfect Pioli player - natural strength, loves to play, loves to practice, high character.

If Tyson Jackson comes into his own this year (like I am convinced he is about to), then having Paea in the middle would go a long way towards winning some more division championships.

Seek
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Regardless of his injury, this guy is a beast. At the bench press portion of the combine he just put it up 49 times. That's the most in over ten years. he would look good in red and gold

so what position would he play. I am guessing either a DE or OLB. Not really sure, I want to be spending a first rounder or second rounder on Tyson Jackson's replacement already. Now if he replaces Vrabel, Okay, I will listen, but he looks to be a 4-3 guy.

SAPHOJUNKIE
02-28-2011, 01:33 PM
so what position would he play. I am guessing either a DE or OLB. Not really sure, I want to be spending a first rounder or second rounder on Tyson Jackson's replacement already. Now if he replaces Vrabel, Okay, I will listen, but he looks to be a 4-3 guy.

Wait - what? He's a nose tackle.

Paea is a powerful run stuffer that plays angry and should contribute immediately at the next level. He is as strong as an ox and consistently knocks lineman back on their heels. He takes on double teams and is near impossible to move out of the hole. He lacks refined pass rushing skills, but has heavy hands and a good burst to eventually become a weapon on third down. He is still learning the finer points of the game, but he has unparalleled toughness and a tireless work ethic. Paea will likely not last past the middle of the first round.

He's a two-time captain of his team, grew up in New Zealand playing rugby, is an absolute addict to working out. Coaches love him, and he's in tremendous physical condition for a defensive lineman. The guy is a Pioli wet dream.

Jrudi
02-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Paea is a powerful run stuffer that plays angry and should contribute immediately at the next level. He is as strong as an ox and consistently knocks lineman back on their heels. He takes on double teams and is near impossible to move out of the hole. He lacks refined pass rushing skills, but has heavy hands and a good burst to eventually become a weapon on third down. He is still learning the finer points of the game, but he has unparalleled toughness and a tireless work ethic. Paea will likely not last past the middle of the first round.

He's a two-time captain of his team, grew up in New Zealand playing rugby, is an absolute addict to working out. Coaches love him, and he's in tremendous physical condition for a defensive lineman. The guy is a Pioli wet dream.

See I've heard that his stock has dropped a little bit (got injured at the Sr. Bowl) and is now a borderline first, but more likely and early or mid second. I saw on NFL network (during the combine) that Mayok had him as the #5 DT.

I agree he is a beast, and I would love to land him on our team, but I really hope his stock has dropped and we can get him in the 2nd. We might have to pull a trade to move up and get him, cus he probably wont last until our pick in the 2nd, but I think we could try and move up 8-10 spots or so and grab him.

4everchiefsfan25
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't have NFL network so I don't know what they are saying about paea but I mean I would have thought that a dude bench pressin 225 49 times and setting a combine record his stock would rise not drop

Seek
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM

I have seen nothing projecting him to be a NT. I have read numerous reports stating that he is not a 3-4 guy and is best suited for the 4-3. So unless we are drafting him to replace T. Jackson... I would really hate drafting another D-Lineman to fill another failed 1st rounder.

Jrudi
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't have NFL network so I don't know what they are saying about paea but I mean I would have thought that a dude bench pressin 225 49 times and setting a combine record his stock would rise not drop

I mean that might help him, I'm not to sure. I just know at the beginning of the off season Mel Kiper had us taking him in round one, but then over the last month I saw he was projected as a mid 2nd.

Lots of time before the draft; his stock may be back up, I Think all of that stock up stock down stuff from day to day is wishy washy anyways. I think if a player is going to be good in the NFL he's going to be good no matter what day it is haha ya know what I mean.

All in all I hope he does become a Chief, and it would be awesome if he did fall to us in round 2 and allow us to land someone like Akeem Ayers in round 1. Wouldn't complain about that!

chief31
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I have seen nothing projecting him to be a NT. I have read numerous reports stating that he is not a 3-4 guy and is best suited for the 4-3. So unless we are drafting him to replace T. Jackson... I would really hate drafting another D-Lineman to fill another failed 1st rounder.

Are you sure? I have been hearing his name for a couple of months and it always as a NT prospect.

He's just a 300+ lb. Run stuffing machine, anywhere I look for info on him.

Xanathol
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I have seen nothing projecting him to be a NT. I have read numerous reports stating that he is not a 3-4 guy and is best suited for the 4-3. So unless we are drafting him to replace T. Jackson... I would really hate drafting another D-Lineman to fill another failed 1st rounder.We need a "what you talking' bout Willis" smilie. I have seen nothing, anywhere, stating he is a 4-3 DT and everything suggests he is a 3-4 NT. At 6'1" 303 and that kind of strength, that just screams 'hold the point of attack' to me.

Ryfo18
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
We need a "what you talking' bout Willis" smilie. I have seen nothing, anywhere, stating he is a 4-3 DT and everything suggests he is a 3-4 NT. At 6'1" 303 and that kind of strength, that just screams 'hold the point of attack' to me.

I've seen a lot of the same comparison actually, mostly placing him as a 4-3 DT (and even a few calling him a 5-tech in 3-4). Most of the NT rankings I see have some combination of Taylor then Powe and Fua after him. 6'1" and 303 is a bit small for a 3-4 NT. Most NT's typically are 6'3"+ and 320+. Of course there are exceptions, but most signs point towards Paea fitting as a 4-3 DT.

I think initially people were placing Paea in the NT category, but that talk has died down.

Just 1 example of a site that has him as a 4-3 DT. I realize this isn't "the bible", but here are one man's thoughts about Paea: http://walterfootball.com/draft2011DT.php

tornadospotter
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Paea highlights. In this highlight video he appears to get better later in the game.

YouTube - Stephen Paea vs. Oregon (2009)

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I mean that might help him, I'm not to sure. I just know at the beginning of the off season Mel Kiper had us taking him in round one, but then over the last month I saw he was projected as a mid 2nd.

Lots of time before the draft; his stock may be back up, I Think all of that stock up stock down stuff from day to day is wishy washy anyways. I think if a player is going to be good in the NFL he's going to be good no matter what day it is haha ya know what I mean.

All in all I hope he does become a Chief, and it would be awesome if he did fall to us in round 2 and allow us to land someone like Akeem Ayers in round 1. Wouldn't complain about that!

He had a bursa sac on his knee that kept him out of the end of the season. That's why his stock has dropped. The only thing he could do at the combine was weigh-in and bench press. Everyone knew he was freakishly strong, but his bench just solidified that. There are still the slight injury concerns, which lowered his stock, but not tremendously.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I've seen a lot of the same comparison actually, mostly placing him as a 4-3 DT (and even a few calling him a 5-tech in 3-4). Most of the NT rankings I see have some combination of Taylor then Powe and Fua after him. 6'1" and 303 is a bit small for a 3-4 NT. Most NT's typically are 6'3"+ and 320+. Of course there are exceptions, but most signs point towards Paea fitting as a 4-3 DT.

I think initially people were placing Paea in the NT category, but that talk has died down.

Just 1 example of a site that has him as a 4-3 DT. I realize this isn't "the bible", but here are one man's thoughts about Paea: http://walterfootball.com/draft2011DT.php

I know they are saying that he isn't a "nose tackle," but I just have a problem with that. Glenn Dorsey isn't technically a 5-technique defensive end, yet he excelled last year.

I think teams get into trouble when they start drafting the measuring tape and not the player. Paea might not weigh as much as, say, a Terrence Cody, but his weight transfers to functional power at a much higher ratio.

Would you rather have a 335 pound nose tackle who gets pushed out of the hole or a 305 pound guy who doesn't?

Phil taylor might weigh 30 pounds more, but he also is inconsistent, was kicked off his team, and has durability issues.

I'd rather have Paea.

Seek
03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
We need a "what you talking' bout Willis" smilie. I have seen nothing, anywhere, stating he is a 4-3 DT and everything suggests he is a 3-4 NT. At 6'1" 303 and that kind of strength, that just screams 'hold the point of attack' to me.

Every where I have read, states that they hope he can play NT because they don't want to draft a UT as high as he is projected. While many feel he may be able to play NT, they think it will be a mistake placing him that role as his size and strength is better suited for disrupting an offensive line instead of plugging it up.

I have read that he is better suited to play a DE in a 3-4 or a under tackle in the 4-3.

Now it is my opinion, but this guy screams Tank Tyler. Tank Tyler was the same build and while he didn't put up 49 reps he did put up 42 reps. We tried Tank Tyler at NT, and ended up trading him because he just didn't fit into our 3-4. Maybe Paea isn't Tyler, but I am very cautious of experimenting with a 1st round pick to find out.

Xanathol
03-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I am going to change my mock - I so hope KC does NOT get this guy. Reason? History. Per NFL.com, here are the top bench pressers at the combine:

DT Stephen Paea Oregon State 2011 49 G Mitch Petrus Arkansas 2010 45 DE Mike Kudla Ohio State 2006 45 DT Leif Larsen Texas-El Paso 2000 45 DT Jeff Owens Georgia 2010 44 DT Brodrick Bunkley Florida State 2006 44 G Scott Young Brigham Young 2005 43Having a hard time recognizing them? You should - per NFL Network, the top combine bench pressers are typically out of the league fairly quickly. Petrus is in the league as a backup ( last year's class ), Kudla was never picked up by a team, Larsen lasted 3 years, Owens is from last year's class and a practice squad guy, Bunkley has gone 5 ( the most productive of the top guys above ), Young lasted 4.

In other words, the success rate for these workout warrirors is not that good.

chiefnut
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
i am not overly impressed by the bench press, the next 9 players on the top 10 bench press at the combine since 2000 has tank tyler the biggest name on that list at #8, so upper body strength in the bench press has not translated to success in the nfl.

Jrudi
03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I've been tooting this horn on a couple other threads too but I'll say it again.

Did some research on the top couple of projected True NT's in this years draft like Phil Taylor, Muhamed Wilkerson (might be too small),Kendrick Ellis, and Jerrell Powe.

All but Powe have red flag character issues. Don't think they will waste a 1st round pick on guys with character issues based on how what Pioli says he looks for in prospects.

Powe seems like a guy Pioli will like. Only red flag was academic issues early in his college career, but it was discovered that he has dyslexia and has overcame these issues through tutoring and is on pace to graduate this spring with a criminal justice degree.

He has played in the SEC, was a Team Captain in 2010, has 3 years as a starter, and teammates of McCluster, and Lewis so he might be a nice "fit" as Haley says.

Should be available in round 3, and is big enough to make an impact in the defensive front next year (6'2" 335lbs)

Ryfo18
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I've been tooting this horn on a couple other threads too but I'll say it again.

Did some research on the top couple of projected True NT's in this years draft like Phil Taylor, Muhamed Wilkerson (might be too small),Kendrick Ellis, and Jerrell Powe.

All but Powe have red flag character issues. Don't think they will waste a 1st round pick on guys with character issues based on how what Pioli says he looks for in prospects.

Powe seems like a guy Pioli will like. Only red flag was academic issues early in his college career, but it was discovered that he has dyslexia and has overcame these issues through tutoring and is on pace to graduate this spring with a criminal justice degree.

He has played in the SEC, was a Team Captain in 2010, has 3 years as a starter, and teammates of McCluster, and Lewis so he might be a nice "fit" as Haley says.

Should be available in round 3, and is big enough to make an impact in the defensive front next year (6'2" 335lbs)

I agree to some extent, but I think given the right player with enough talent Pioli will budge (Randy Moss for example). Only meaning that if the scouts and Pioli decide that Taylor is a "can't-miss NT" (I'm not saying he is), I don't think we can completely rule him out.

Jrudi
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree to some extent, but I think given the right player with enough talent Pioli will budge (Randy Moss for example). Only meaning that if the scouts and Pioli decide that Taylor is a "can't-miss NT" (I'm not saying he is), I don't think we can completely rule him out.

I agree and see what you are saying. I have heard Pioli say that he won't rule out bringing in a risky guy (like Randy Moss) but he said that it has to be the right situation, and he said he has to feel that he has a good solid base of a team built, and a solid locker room before he will look into a player like that.

He said last season that he didn't feel this young team was ready right now to be able handle a player like that (wouldn't want that player to be toxic to a young locker room.) When he brought in Moss to New England, they were already a dominant team, with a solid base of high character player, and didn't necessarily need Moss to be successful, it was just a bonus if he worked out and if he didn't they could still be productive without him. I truly think he still feels like he is building this young team and will continue for at least one more year, bringing in high character guys. Then within the next year or so might look into a talented player that has baggage.

chiefnut
03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Phil Taylor's "red flag character issue" stems from an incident when he was a freshman at Penn State when he and 5 other students broke down the door of a student in retaliation for what that student had done to their friend. exact details were withheld but i think it was a beat'n for a beat'n. Taylor was tossed off the team 2 others suspended for a year. he transferred to baylor and has been a model student since. a severe lack of judgement to be sure, but he seems to have learned from it and it was not like stealing car radios, carrying a gun, or into drugs.

Jrudi
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Phil Taylor's "red flag character issue" stems from an incident when he was a freshman at Penn State when he and 5 other students broke down the door of a student in retaliation for what that student had done to their friend. exact details were withheld but i think it was a beat'n for a beat'n. Taylor was tossed off the team 2 others suspended for a year. he transferred to baylor and has been a model student since. a severe lack of judgement to be sure, but he seems to have learned from it and it was not like stealing car radios, carrying a gun, or into drugs.

I read that he was dismissed from the team due to Academic issues and the involvement with the fight. According to sideline scouts.com "Doesn't always give a good effort... Not a hard worker... Conditioning issues, wears down late in games... Gets too heavy, has been as high as 385 lbs"

I'm sorry but if there are any reports like this about a player I can't bring myself to believe that it is the type of player Pioli would want on his team when he constantly talks about High Character, Hard Workers, and Smart Players that Love Playing Football not the perks of being a professional football player. Just doesn't add up for me. But I'll change my mind if I see him bring someone like this in. I just haven't seen it yet.

chiefnut
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I read that he was dismissed from the team due to Academic issues and the involvement with the fight. According to sideline scouts.com "Doesn't always give a good effort... Not a hard worker... Conditioning issues, wears down late in games... Gets too heavy, has been as high as 385 lbs"

I'm sorry but if there are any reports like this about a player I can't bring myself to believe that it is the type of player Pioli would want on his team when he constantly talks about High Character, Hard Workers, and Smart Players that Love Playing Football not the perks of being a professional football player. Just doesn't add up for me. But I'll change my mind if I see him bring someone like this in. I just haven't seen it yet.

he dropped 30lbs for the senior bowl and was considered to be dominant in the center and a very hard worker during practice. taylor himself said he would like to drop another 20lbs before the draft. at PSU he was a lean mean fightn machine, it was at baylor he got into shape {pear shape to be exact]. now he is working hard to get back into a good playing weight. his academics were not the issue at PSU, otherwise he would not have made it into baylor. if you carried an extra 50lbs on your belt you would tire later too. i believe if you watch him at the senior bowl vs his baylor days you'll see a slimmer version and be as impressed as the coaches and announcers at his play in the middle.

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I am going to change my mock - I so hope KC does NOT get this guy. Reason? History. Per NFL.com, here are the top bench pressers at the combine:

Having a hard time recognizing them? You should - per NFL Network, the top combine bench pressers are typically out of the league fairly quickly. Petrus is in the league as a backup ( last year's class ), Kudla was never picked up by a team, Larsen lasted 3 years, Owens is from last year's class and a practice squad guy, Bunkley has gone 5 ( the most productive of the top guys above ), Young lasted 4.

In other words, the success rate for these workout warrirors is not that good.

This means NOTHING.

Paea was a first round talent before the bench press. His stock has nothing to do with that. It's icing on the cake. His draft stock is high because of game tape. Don't just look at stats in a vacuum, dude.

Ryfo18
03-03-2011, 09:45 PM
This means NOTHING.

Paea was a first round talent before the bench press. His stock has nothing to do with that. It's icing on the cake. His draft stock is high because of game tape. Don't just look at stats in a vacuum, dude.

He's still not a Nose tackle IMO. The Tank Tyler comparison was decent. I've watched the tape some. He'd make a solid DT in a 4-3. Just my take though. We'll see what other teams think come April 28th.

Xanathol
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Paea was a first round talent before the bench press. His stock has nothing to do with that. It's icing on the cake. His draft stock is high because of game tape. Don't just look at stats in a vacuum, dude.Just on game tape, no he's not. A lot of his hype was from projections, a lot of that coming from his reported strength.

Case in point (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83921&draftyear=2011&genpos=DT):

Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea set a Combine record today with 49 reps of 225 pounds, besting the three players tied with 45, last done by Arkansas guard Mitch Petrus in 2010. Paea's been known for his strength for some time, using his low center of gravity to play with leverage inside. His hustle also intrigues teams, who consider him a solid second-round pick despite a knee injury that took him out of the Senior Bowl last monthSorry.

chiefnut
03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Paea would be a great replacement for jackson but he is not a NT in a 3-4. if he slides to us in round 2 he would be a steal if not we have more important needs for the 1st round. i don't think he will even be there for us at #23 but we need a true NT, a solid LT, a better RT, a staring C, a OLB, a #2 WR, a DE and a backup QB, not to mention adding a S, FB, RB, and more depth everywhere

SAPHOJUNKIE
03-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Kansas City Chiefs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/kan/kansas-city-chiefs)

Record: 10-6

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/7.jpg
Stephen Paea (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27014/stephen-paea), DT, Oregon State
Among personnel people, I find a wide range of opinion on Paea. Some think he's an anchor on the defensive line, a force that could go much higher. Others see some inconsistency and believe he could fall to the second round. He'll be a guy to watch during the draft process. Still, what he can do is immediately strengthen a rush defense. He occupies blocks with great leverage and big-time strength. Paea will do a number on the bench-press. Not a great penetrator but he frees up tacklers and fits this system.

Sorry.This is from ESPN over a month ago. Note that....FALL to the second round. Not sneak into it.

Jrudi
03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Paea would be a great replacement for jackson but he is not a NT in a 3-4. if he slides to us in round 2 he would be a steal if not we have more important needs for the 1st round. i don't think he will even be there for us at #23 but we need a true NT, a solid LT, a better RT, a staring C, a OLB, a #2 WR, a DE and a backup QB, not to mention adding a S, FB, RB, and more depth everywhere

We are picking at #21.

Ryfo18
03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Just watched some more tape on him last night (from the Oregon St. game). I'm impressed with his ability to get off the ball. He can definitely beat college guards and centers with his speed. Playing NT though I think would be tough for him. There were several times where he got knocked backwards at the point of attack by a single blocker, and the few times I saw him double teamed he could not hold his ground at all. Just my take, seems like a reach as a first round NT though.

chiefnut
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
We are picking at #21.

my bad!! but wasn't my point

Jrudi
03-05-2011, 12:17 PM
my bad!! but wasn't my point

I know, Sorry I wasn't trying to sound like an A**. Just wanted to let you know in case you really thought we were picking at #23.