PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically Speaking

Coach
09-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Hypothetically Speaking, let's say you were named the Head Coach of your local high school football team.

The football team that you inherited had a 1st year QB that was a senior and had been on the team and in practices since he was a freshman. You have another QB who is only a freshman but you expect good things from him. You also have a stud RB on your team that was named to the All-Conference team last year. Your WR's are nothing special, but serviceable. Your defense has been suspect in recent years, but does have some talent.

Would you lean on the running game because you feel that is playing to your strengths?

Would you instead pass the ball more often even though it is clearly not your strength since everyone is expecting you to work the stud RB?

Would you start the Senior QB or the Freshman?

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do?

We have so many playcalling experts and expert couch-coaches, I'm curious how we would all handle this situation if we were put into it.

Please share your thoughts.:D

hermhater
09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Hypothetically Speaking, let's say you were named the Head Coach of your local high school football team.

The football team that you inherited had a 1st year QB that was a senior and had been on the team and in practices since he was a freshman. You have another QB who is only a freshman but you expect good things from him. You also have a stud RB on your team that was named to the All-Conference team last year. Your WR's are nothing special, but serviceable. Your defense has been suspect in recent years, but does have some talent.

Would you lean on the running game because you feel that is playing to your strengths?

Would you instead pass the ball more often even though it is clearly not your strength since everyone is expecting you to work the stud RB?

Would you start the Senior QB or the Freshman?

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do?

We have so many playcalling experts and expert couch-coaches, I'm curious how we would all handle this situation if we were put into it.

Please share your thoughts.:D

Are we allowed to steal players from other HS teams?

That would influence my response tremendously, as I feel that option would be helpful.

Otherwise I would start the freshman and get him into the rhythm of REAL games, since he a has 4 years ahead of him he would be SO much more valuable in the future.

Freshman QB's often have the most talent, but lack the experience (which they can only get on the field).

I feel for the senior because it may be his last year on the team, but if he is a true team player he will share responsibilities with the freshman and give him guidance and suggestions.

A coach can't have it both ways. You either play for the future or for now.

Coach
09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
A coach can't have it both ways. You either play for the future or for now.

So would you lean on the run since you have a stud RB and also to help your defense by burning the clock.
Or would you tend to pass it more with the freshman to throw teams off but potentially exposing your defense since there will be more playclock stoppage?

chief31
09-29-2007, 06:22 PM
A) I go with the senior quarterback. He has earned his chance and the freshman has plenty of time. The rest of the team would also have alot more faith in the kid who knows the system and has been a part of their team, for previous seasons. Of course, if he should play too poorly, then I wouldn't hold-out hope for too long, and would try a replacement, as needed.

B) At the high school level, the running game tends to be a much better source of offense, than it is at higher levels. But I still need to develope my passing game. For the most part, I lean heavily on my running game, with my "stud" running back.

C) If I have a large group of seniors on my defense, then I have more patience with my senior quarterback. If I have a younger defense, then I may be more apt to bring in the young quarterback, to get him further prepared for the following season.

There are always circumstances that present themselves that can change a coaches outlook for this and future seasons.

hermhater
09-29-2007, 06:23 PM
So would you lean on the run since you have a stud RB and also to help your defense by burning the clock.
Or would you tend to pass it more with the freshman to throw teams off but potentially exposing your defense since there will be more playclock stoppage?

I would use a combination of them both actually. I don't see the play clock being stopped that often with the freshman if he continues to complete a lot of his passes (60% for a starting freshman seems reasonable). Then when the oppositions defense has had a taste of his arm we stuff it down the oppositions throat with the stud RB.

Kind of a reverse scenario I suppose, using the QB's arm to make them respect the p**** just as coaches use a stud RB to make them respect the run.

Also I feel that the defense has enough talent (and confidence) to cause enough three and outs that they would not be forced to be on the field all day.

timsatt1
09-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Yes i would LEAN on the run

but i wouldnt tell the other coach, the other team, our team, and everyone else in the nation that WE WILL RUN ON 1st and 2nd, so bring everyone in and dont worry about our receivers.

herm is a joke. not cause he wants to run. WANTING TO RUN IS OK. But not understanding the concept of Predictable, that is uncalled for, it is uncomprehendable the way HERMAN MONSTER has run this offense.

rely on the run, but ....i give up. what can i say. everyone in america can see how dumb herm is but him. you, me, the rest of this board know what we are going to do on 1st and 2nd. it is sad. it is pathetic. i cant stand this herm the sperm guy. :owws:

m0ef0e
09-29-2007, 09:03 PM
A) I go with the senior quarterback. He has earned his chance and the freshman has plenty of time. The rest of the team would also have alot more faith in the kid who knows the system and has been a part of their team, for previous seasons. Of course, if he should play too poorly, then I wouldn't hold-out hope for too long, and would try a replacement, as needed.

B) At the high school level, the running game tends to be a much better source of offense, than it is at higher levels. But I still need to develope my passing game. For the most part, I lean heavily on my running game, with my "stud" running back.

C) If I have a large group of seniors on my defense, then I have more patience with my senior quarterback. If I have a younger defense, then I may be more apt to bring in the young quarterback, to get him further prepared for the following season.

There are always circumstances that present themselves that can change a coaches outlook for this and future seasons.

This is pretty much how I would approach it as well. Pretty much to the 'T'.

sling58
09-30-2007, 08:05 AM
This sounds like the Chiefs a little.

In highschool it's all about playing. Run the RB and let the Senior play. The Freshman will have his shot.