PDA

View Full Version : Kind of funny, but this guy is a jerk!

hermhater
09-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Mike Pound: Taking a Zen-like approach to the Chiefs

By Mike Pound

Globe columnist

Here we are entering one of the most intense, stress-filled parts of the sports-watching season and I have an almost Zen-like calm about me.

For one thing, the St. Louis Cardinals — who, due to a rash of injuries, have been forced to play the last month of the season with members of a St. Louis middle-school baseball team — were eliminated from the playoff race weeks ago.

For another thing, the Kansas City Chiefs are not so good this year. The Chiefs are so not so good this year that I have absolutely no expectations that, on any given Sunday, they will manage to score a touchdown, let alone win a game. An opinion that many Chiefs fans share, as evidenced by an e-mail Bob Hicks here at the Globe sent me. Someone sent the e-mail to Bob and he passed it on to me.

It was one of those e-mails that folks start sending out when their particular sports team is playing ... well, like the Chiefs. The e-mail was in the form of a brief news story. According to the e-mailed story, the Chiefs were forced to halt a recent practice when they discovered a suspicious, white powdery substance on the field. After a police investigation, it was determined that the suspicious substance was, in fact, the goal line. Police decided to allow the Chiefs to resume practice when it was determined that they were unlikely to come in contact with the substance again.

See, that’s just mean. Funny, but mean.

How bad are the Chiefs this year? All the other teams in the league got together and decided that it would be OK for the Chiefs to steal their signals.

“Heck, before each play we’ll just tell them what we’re going to do,” one team official said.

The thing is, I like the Chiefs. I want them to do well. In the past, I’ve wanted them to do so well that I would tend to react badly when they didn’t do well. I would scream at the TV. I would throw things. I would accuse a referee, who would call a holding penalty on a player who wasn’t even — technically speaking — in uniform, of having a mother who was not of the human species. I would scream at the TV. I know I said that already, but I would REALLY scream at the TV.

I’m not doing that this year. This year, when the Chiefs, say, decide to run the ball on third and 15, even though the other team has approximately 37 players and 12 cheerleaders waiting on the line of scrimmage, I will laugh.

When the Chiefs’ quarterback, 57-year-old Damon Huard, throws a fade pattern into a portion of the end zone occupied only by the team mascot, I will chuckle. And when Chiefs coach Herm Edwards calls a timeout before the game actually starts, I will smile.

That’s what low expectations will do for you. Right now, the way I feel about the Chiefs is pretty much the way I feel about George Bush. I’m to the point with George that anytime he manages to complete a sentence without sounding like Patrick from “SpongeBob SquarePants,” I figure he’s done a good job.

The great thing about low expectations is if, for some reason, things turn around, then you find yourself pleasantly surprised but without having to invest the time and energy required of high expectations.

Say the Chiefs decide to bench Damon and instead go with 12-year-old quarterback Brodie Croyle, and Brodie turns out to be the second coming of Peyton Manning. I will be happy. But it will be a controlled happy. A “that’s great but it won’t last” kind of happy.

If the Chiefs get hot and go on a winning streak, I will wait for the other cleat to drop. I will wait, patiently, for the Chiefs to do something dumb like show up in Oakland, Calif., for a game against the Raiders when, in fact, they are supposed to be in Denver, Colo., for a game against the Broncos.

And when that happens, I’ll laugh.

I’m telling you, this Zen stuff is great.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_271180201.html?start:int=15

timsatt1
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM
of course they have to bring bush into the article. all journalists are fools. that is a requirement to get the job.

m0ef0e
09-29-2007, 08:58 PM
This is a pathetic attempt by a pathetic journalist in a pathetic, one-horse town to get publicity. Nothing more. He's trashing the Chiefs this way because he is fairly close to KC and he is hoping the outrage generated will spread his name. I, for one, do not care what this guy says. This is exactly what I've been talking about with people who say the Chiefs will do bad this year. All sarcasm and negativity with no factual basis. It should be an embarassment to this publication to allow such pessimistic, opinoinated trash to be printed in their product. I've heard this crap so much from so many "fans" and media that I am completely jaded to it now. I'm not mad. I'm laughing at this fool.

McLovin
09-29-2007, 09:09 PM
While in substance I don't agree with this article, some of the parts of it ... well I don't care who you are ... thats funny. ie When on 3rd and 15 and the other team has 37 players and 12 cheerleaders on the line then the chiefs run it. It might be mean but its kinda sorta the truth. And maybe just maybe something this stupid will fire the Chiefs or LJ up and maybe he can run angry again. We all know that wouldn't be a bad thing. Again not thinking this is a good article, just thinking some of it is funny.

my 2 cents

m0ef0e
09-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey, I laughed my *** off. Some of it IS funny. Then I laughed even harder and longer when I noticed that this is some no-name hack from Joplin. This guy's still pissed about getting cut from his high-school team.

bigpoppachief
09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
That guy is retarded but the article was very funny I laughed my *** off at the part about 32 players and 12 cheerleaders lol classic and the george bush comment was funny too. But i think that the football world is underestimating our chiefs and I think when we make the playoffs all the peopl saying we are the worst team in the NFL can kiss my arrowhead tatted *** ( not really but thinking about it lol)

sling58
09-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Some people should have their writing priviledges taken away.