View Full Version : Something Interesting I Realized About the O-Line

Ryfo18
03-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Branden Albert - 1st round
Brian Waters - Undrafted
Casey Wiegmann - Undrafted
Ryan Lilja - Undrafted
Barry Richardson - 6th round

Just thought it was pretty crazy that other than Albert, the other linemen were undrafted or drafted very late. Not bad for how they played!

tornadospotter
03-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Just shows how there are players that can play, that are not drafted!

Coach
03-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Just shows how there are players that can play, that are not drafted!

And it also shows the importance of left tackle.

chief31
03-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Branden Albert - 1st round
Brian Waters - Undrafted
Casey Wiegmann - Undrafted
Ryan Lilja - Undrafted
Barry Richardson - 6th round

Just thought it was pretty crazy that other than Albert, the other linemen were undrafted or drafted very late. Not bad for how they played!

I actually knew this about each of the individual players. But never bothered to look at them as a group, by their draft positions before.

It definitely looks crazy when you do.

slc chief
03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
i think asamoah a third rounder will step in somewhere this year

AkChief49
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes, I agree, this current line is not bad for their situations. but just for a second let's go back to '90-'92.

LT-J.Alt 1st round

LG-D.Szott 7th round

C-T.Grunhard 2nd round

RG-D.Lutz 2nd round

RT-R.Baldinger 10th round-an UDFA now a days

The line morphed a little from '93-'97 (if you WILL) with Shields (a 3rd rounder) and Siglar ( a free agent) taking over the right side.
In '96 J.Criswell(undrafted) started to take over for J.ALt and did so in '97. Also in '97 G.Parker (3rd round) took over for Siglar.

I'm in no way disagreeing with the start of this thread. Just pointing out that the line we have now is decent, the line we had then was awesome. A few nuggets, gems are always found in the later rounds-just few and far between.

That line from '90-'97(except '96) made the playoffs every year with count them-5 different QB's. I'm rambling, just sitting here mad at the NFL in general with nothing much better to do than beat my deadhorse(build the o-line):beat_DeadHorse: :beat_DeadHorse:

Seek
03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
My favorite O line was

Willie Roaf - 1st round pick 8th overall
Brian Waters - UDFA
Weigmann - UDFA
Will Shields - 3rd Round 74th overall
John Tait - 1st round 14th overall

I still feel, Brian Waters is living off reputation he built with the talent around him from this line. He has never played nearly as well without Roaf and Shields.

AkChief49
03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
My favorite O line was

Willie Roaf - 1st round pick 8th overall
Brian Waters - UDFA
Weigmann - UDFA
Will Shields - 3rd Round 74th overall
John Tait - 1st round 14th overall

I still feel, Brian Waters is living off reputation he built with the talent around him from this line. He has never played nearly as well without Roaf and Shields.

I agree with that as well-the best line ever! when Roaf was there, we finished 4th-2nd- 1st and 1st in total offense for each of those 4 short years!! The oline of yester year was more of the ground and pound variety and the team was a little more balanced. Our D was always(or so seemed) above average, which helps.

Jrudi
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah our line did decent for where they came into the nfl. But I do agree an upgrade would be nice!

For awhile now I've been against moving Albert from LT but I started becoming a little more open minded. I took a look at Nate Solder from Colorado and this dude is a stud! And really sounds like a guy Pioli might target (4 years of playing experience 3 years as a starting LT, Played all but like 2 snaps in 3 years at LT, Versatile: came in as a tight end and converted to LT, Won awards for great work ethic, stellar overall athlete, and was a team captain)

Now I think if they bring him in, They should draft him to just come in a start at RT, and compete with Albert. If he beats out Albert...Move Albert to RT (I just think they should leave Albert at a Tackle since he has been learning the position for 3 years instead of shifting him to guard.) So basically if we draft Solder have our line look something like this:

LT: Solder or Albert
LG: Asamoah or Lilja
C: Waters (Draft a Center and develop him)
RG: Asamoah or Lilja
RT: Solder or Albert

This is assuming Wiegmann retires. Waters has just a year or two left and would be the most knowledgeable to take over the Center Position. Asamoah stepped in well last year in a game or two and you couldn't even tell a starter was out. Haley seems high on him as well.

I used to not like the idea of moving waters and albert, but when I look at that it doesn't sound to bad.

chiefnut
03-24-2011, 07:50 AM
has waters ever played center for us?

Seek
03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
has waters ever played center for us?

His first year with the Chiefs he filled in at center and then moved to LG when Dave Szott got hurt and retired. If you look up the Chiefs 2000 roster they have Brian Waters listed as a center with 6 games played.

chief31
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah our line did decent for where they came into the nfl. But I do agree an upgrade would be nice!

For awhile now I've been against moving Albert from LT but I started becoming a little more open minded. I took a look at Nate Solder from Colorado and this dude is a stud! And really sounds like a guy Pioli might target (4 years of playing experience 3 years as a starting LT, Played all but like 2 snaps in 3 years at LT, Versatile: came in as a tight end and converted to LT, Won awards for great work ethic, stellar overall athlete, and was a team captain)

Now I think if they bring him in, They should draft him to just come in a start at RT, and compete with Albert. If he beats out Albert...Move Albert to RT (I just think they should leave Albert at a Tackle since he has been learning the position for 3 years instead of shifting him to guard.) So basically if we draft Solder have our line look something like this:

LT: Solder or Albert
LG: Asamoah or Lilja
C: Waters (Draft a Center and develop him)
RG: Asamoah or Lilja
RT: Solder or Albert

This is assuming Wiegmann retires. Waters has just a year or two left and would be the most knowledgeable to take over the Center Position. Asamoah stepped in well last year in a game or two and you couldn't even tell a starter was out. Haley seems high on him as well.

I used to not like the idea of moving waters and albert, but when I look at that it doesn't sound to bad.

You sell our man short.

Asamoah played in fifteen regular season games and one playoff game.

He was used a whole lot last year, and did a very good job.

I am with ya. I think he is ready to handle a full-time job.

Move Albert inside, and we may have the best interior o-line in the league for the next decade. :biggrin:

Jrudi
03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
You sell our man short.

Asamoah played in fifteen regular season games and one playoff game.

He was used a whole lot last year, and did a very good job.

I am with ya. I think he is ready to handle a full-time job.

Move Albert inside, and we may have the best interior o-line in the league for the next decade. :biggrin:

I hear ya. I just meant that he filled in as a starter for one game when Lilja was out, and then came in in the Indy game when Waters had to shift to left tackle cus Albert got hurt.

I know he started on special teams, and had various snaps throughout the season, but all in all yeah he did a great job! I hope he can keep it up and help us out the next few years!

Seek
03-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I hear ya. I just meant that he filled in as a starter for one game when Lilja was out, and then came in in the Indy game when Waters had to shift to left tackle cus Albert got hurt.

I know he started on special teams, and had various snaps throughout the season, but all in all yeah he did a great job! I hope he can keep it up and help us out the next few years!

I don't know how many of you got to see him live, but the John Asomoah looks like freaking Willie Roaf. I could not believe how big he was.

Jrudi
03-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't know how many of you got to see him live, but the John Asomoah looks like freaking Willie Roaf. I could not believe how big he was.

Yeah the dude is big for a guard! he should be a stud for us.